Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned?

Default Lessons Learned?

last year i learned that you and your friends should always have a predetermined rendevous point in case you lose track of each other in the crowd. last year, i lost my friend at around 1pm and i didn't see him until after coachella let out and we met at the car in the parking lot! so i roamed coachella alone a majority of the day. we both had cell phones but you can't get a connection b/c the cell towers are swamped with thousands of people trying to make calls!

Default Re: Lessons Learned?

no pants for me. i friggin died last year.

and then i came back to life for this years fest.

dont let your friends talk you into hauling all their shit around for them. make sure that both of you or none of you have a back pack. and dont let them talk you into staying in the beer jail all day. i learned my lesson the hard way. was much better on day two of that year.

things learned from previous years:

1. remember to bring your camera
    2. remember to use your camera
    3. don't rely on your cell phone to communicate with friends
    4. feet need sunscreen too
    5. scalpers can actually be nice guys and even give you free stuff
    6. put water and snacks in the car for the wait in the parking lot after the show

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    things learned from previous years:

6. put water and snacks in the car for the wait in the parking lot after the show
    how long does it take u 2 get outta there? should i just walk back to palm desert?

bring a freaking flashlight... even a small led one helps you from tripping over people once it gets dark.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTRUCK View Post
    how long does it take u 2 get outta there? should i just walk back to palm desert?
    Yes, you should definitely walk back to Palm Desert. Bring a map though just in case.

Take it easy on the alcohol and other substances when the sun is at its hottest. My friend, who under normal circumstances can easily drink anyone under the table, spent most of Saturday last year in the first aid tent because she assumed she could chug beer as normal. She has almost no recollection of any of that day.

Also, when coming up with a meeting spot, be very specific. We agreed to meet at the Virgin Store tent...so for nearly 15 minutes my friend and I waited patiently inside it while our other friend paced around the outside wondering where in the hell we were.

If there's a band you want to see but none of your group wants to, ditch them and see the band. You can meet up later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post

I want to be on the forefront of change, so when the nippless revolution starts, I'm going to lead the charge.

4. feet need sunscreen too
    so do ears and scalps.

Quote Originally Posted by rivetbutt View Post
    bring a freaking flashlight... even a small led one helps you from tripping over people once it gets dark.
    Yeah, and don't be one of those people who thinks it's cute to lie in the middle of the foot traffic in the dark without any sort of glow stick or light or anything.

Don't drop E and A together at 5 pm because there's still several hours of desert sun left and even though the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at dusk will be amazing, Sleater Kinney will hurt you badly and you'll end up running around like a dehydrated madman during Massive Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTRUCK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblerobots View Post
    Yes, you should definitely walk back to Palm Desert. Bring a map though just in case.
    you should walk back for sure. it's a very pleasant 25 minute walk.

Smile Re: Lessons Learned?

a cheap BIG hat comes in handy during the day...
    have your GF take off her sunglasses when you ask her if you are sunburning on your back
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    you should walk back for sure. it's a very pleasant 25 minute walk.
    i was kidding, it is 12 miles....geez

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
    a
    have your GF take off her sunglasses when you ask her if you are sunburning on your back
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by rivetbutt View Post
    You are brilliant! It is so true, I have fallen over so many people laying in the shadows.

If you are planning on getting close to the stages at any time, where closed toe shoes! I know it sounds like common sense but I every year I see some little chick in flip-flops complaining about how everyone keeps steping on her toes.
    Last edited by webfairy; 03-21-2007 at 11:59 PM.

the girls i was with at lolla last year did that and their feet where all cut up and nasty by the end of the weekend

Really pace yourself. Avoid being in the sun as much as humanly possible until around 5. If a band you're curious about seeing is playing the main stage or outdoor theater at high noon, I'd recommend checking them out from the shade, even if it's far away.

The tents can get disgustingly hot during the day when crowded, but I discovered last year that it is actually better than being in the sun.

Seems obvious, but I really need to find a hat this year. Hard to find one that actually fits me, grrrr. Racists.

When you take a dump (and you will, unless you're a constipated old fart), make sure to do it early in the day in one of the toilet trailers. Far better than a portapotty, and I say early in the day because these things sometimes get overflowing with shit later in the day. And if not, the lines are incredibly long.

Pot is better in cookies than smoked. More discreet. Peanut butter, of course. Chocolate chip would obviously melt.

If your feet get those huge, pus-filled blisters before the end of the festival, just commit suicide. Walking around like that is far too agonizing.

Don't eat anything spicy. And the "Chinese food" is the most overpriced food available. Yes, you will be hungry again in an hour, but your wallet will be empty.

If you have a choice between seeing a whole set from one band or half sets from two, the former is usually the best when the band in question is great.

There's no such thing as too much water. If you find yourself seeing a band under the sun early in the day, don't bring a bottle of water. Bring two. I did this for Giant Drag last year and it was a good idea because I finished the first bottle before they even started playing.

Don't bother trying to see a headliner from the front. It either involves a lot of pain and suffering or being a major asshole.

If you need to lie down at night, do so in a well lit area, or one where people aren't going to be constantly walking by.

Food is fucking scares by 11pm. Usually something will be available at camp if you have the midnight munchies, but the lines are long and they run out of everything. So get your eat on an act or two before the headliner.

Oh yeah another note on snacks.....bring some in the car not only for the 1-2 hour line to park at coachella, but also for when you get out of show. TRUST ME you will be hungry and you do not want to wait in a 2 hour line at any fast food place from Coachella to Palm Springs.

If you are wearing shoes, get some insoles and brand new socks. Your feet will thank you for it. Also, Festival Indian Food + Beer + Porta Potties = bad news bears. Plus it's like 9 bucks.

for the love of god eat something. First day in 04 I was completely naseous from dehydration and lack of food when we left. When I got some Del Taco in me I was right as rain.

This is probably too late of a warning. A hotel farther than 30 minutes is too far. Last year we stayed at a hotel in moreno valley. Took probably an hour. After being on your feet for 12 hours, you tend to get pretty tired. I almost passed out while driving back to the hotel. Could've killed my 3 friends.

Get the guacamole.

If you're not interested in any band in particular at a certain time, hang out in the beer garden or one of the tents.

Walkie talkies are better than cell phones...i'm hoping.

Behind the Redwood Curtain, Lost Coast Northern California

Mushrooms are better with Frozen Lemonade than burritos.
    This forest is growing faster than I can tell.

the Heineken Oasis tent is a god send.... nothing like having a cold beer in air conditioning at 2 pm when it's over 100 outside.....

Hats will prevent sunburned ears or scalps.
    Walkie Talkies are better than cell phones.
    Re-apply sunscreen if you're in the sun and sweating a lot.
    Try to find shade if you're watching a band during the day on the Main Stage or Outdoor Stage. You can find a little shade here and there, and it's nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I think I win the Most Obvious Lesson Learned Award: Make sure you have your wallet when you enter the Polo Grounds. Two years ago I left mine in the car and was stuck scrounging money off my girlfriend for the rest of the day. There's nothing quite like being my age and feeling like a 10-year-old kid asking his parents for money to buy a frozen lemonade.

Another mistake my friend and I made was getting sloshed at the beginning of the day. We downed an entire bottle of Skyy Vodka in the parking lot before entering the grounds at 11am. Probably a good reason why we lost each other around 1pm ;[

Needless to say we were dehydrated, luckily I had some water bottles with me to carry me through the day. PACE YOURSELF, having a beer or two at the onset is all good.. just to don't get blatantly inebriated.

Wink Re: Lessons Learned?

I SAY EAT BEFORE YOU GO IN AND THEN WHEN YOU LEAVE BECAUSE THE FOOD SUCKS AND ITS WAY OVERPRICED. TAKE FRUIT FOR SNACKS. TRY AND AVOID THE RESTROOMS THEY ARE PRETTY GROSS AND IN BETWEEN THE BAND GO INTO THE SPONSORED TENTS LIKE KROQ AND THE AT&T TENT THEY ARE AIR CONDITIONED AND FEEL SOOO GOOD. ALSO BRING ALOT OF SUNSCREEN AND A COACHELLA HAT ( A HUGE SUN HAT) I GOT A SUNBURN LAST YEAR AND IT HURT SOOOOO BAD!!! SEE YOU THERE!! PEACE.
    Last edited by BIRDYSANDFLOWERS; 03-22-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRDYSANDFLOWERS View Post
    I SAY EAT BEFORE YOU GO IN AND THEN WHEN YOU LEAVE BECAUSE THE FOOD SUCKS AND ITS WAY OVERPRICED. TAKE FRUIT FOR SNACKS. TRY AND AVOID THE RESTROOMS THEY ARE PRETTY GROSS AND IN BETWEEN THE BAND GO INTO THE SPONORED TENTS LIKE KROQ AND THE AT&T TENT THEY ARE AIR CONDITIONED AND FEEL SOOO GODD. ALSO BRING ALOT OF SUNSCREEN AND A COACHELLA HAT ( A HUGE SUN HAT) I GOT A SUNBURN LAST YEAR AND IT HURT SOOOOO BAD!!! SEE YOU THERE!! PEACE.

COOL! GOOD SUGGESTIONS.. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Quote Originally Posted by BIRDYSANDFLOWERS View Post
    I SAY EAT BEFORE YOU GO IN AND THEN WHEN YOU LEAVE BECAUSE THE FOOD SUCKS AND ITS WAY OVERPRICED. TAKE FRUIT FOR SNACKS. TRY AND AVOID THE RESTROOMS THEY ARE PRETTY GROSS AND IN BETWEEN THE BAND GO INTO THE SPONSORED TENTS LIKE KROQ AND THE AT&T TENT THEY ARE AIR CONDITIONED AND FEEL SOOO GOOD. ALSO BRING ALOT OF SUNSCREEN AND A COACHELLA HAT ( A HUGE SUN HAT) I GOT A SUNBURN LAST YEAR AND IT HURT SOOOOO BAD!!! SEE YOU THERE!! PEACE.
    This reminds me.

Don't forget earplugs.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

LETS ALL TALK A LITTLE LOUDER. ALSO I DISAGREE ABOUT THE FOOD. THERE IS A LOT OF FOOD THERE THAT DOESN'T SUCK. THE BATHROOMS ARE BETTER THAN AT OTHER FESTIVALS I HAVE BEEN TO, JUST SAYIN
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer