Thread: Anyone ever done coachella on crutches????

Default Anyone ever done coachella on crutches????

So yesterday I ruptured my achilles tendon and I am hoping to be in a walking boot by coachella keeping my fingers crossed, however if I am still on crutches I was wondering if anyone has done this, and if they have any tips. thanks

Default Re: Anyone ever done coachella on crutches????

Yes, I have, tips: get yourself a handicap parking pass from MVD, it will save you from parking in the boonies, they have a special handicap parking in between two tents and it makes it much easier, they are super easy to get, just take a note from your doc to the MVD and you will be in and out in a few minutes. This also gets you into the handicap risers which is pretty cool, although some douchebags will try to climb over people in wheelchairs to get in front of you, if that happens hit them with your crutch.

Don't camp, it will be impossible for you to get to and from the bathrooms without trying to climb over peoples camp sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Get those crutches that have a flask built in....

Wouldnt a wheelchair be better on your heal?
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Wheelchairs do make it a little easier on you, but harder on your friends who have to push you. Also, beware of sand traps. I had someone push me in a wheelchair, hit a patch of sand and dump me face first out of the wheelchair. You also have a hard time getting through the fields at night with all the empty water bottles thrown all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Back in 08 I broke my foot on my birthday (still don't remember how it happened) just about a week before Coachella. In all honesty, it didn't end up being a bad thing. When you're hobbling around on crutches, everyone moves out of the way for you. You have a clear path to wherever you are going, and you can lean on your crutches whenever you get tired. It didn't wear me out one bit. One of my clearest memories from that year was dancing my ass off on those crutches during Hot Chip. Security let me jump over the barriers whenever I needed to leave a set. It was awesome. I guess the only advice I could give you is to sit down whenever you have a break, but that kind of goes without saying. Trust me, it's not all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by That70sdesperado View Post
    Back in 08 I broke my foot on my birthday (still don't remember how it happened) just about a week before Coachella. In all honesty, it didn't end up being a bad thing. When you're hobbling around on crutches, everyone moves out of the way for you. You have a clear path to wherever you are going, and you can lean on your crutches whenever you get tired. It didn't wear me out one bit. One of my clearest memories from that year was dancing my ass off on those crutches during Hot Chip. Security let me jump over the barriers whenever I needed to leave a set. It was awesome. I guess the only advice I could give you is to sit down whenever you have a break, but that kind of goes without saying. Trust me, it's not all that bad.
    Alright well ya guys have eased my fears thanks!

So guys I found this and I think itll be awesome at coachella!!!
    http://www.goodbyecrutches.com/produ...s-free-crutch/

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    So guys I found this and I think itll be awesome at coachella!!!
    http://www.goodbyecrutches.com/produ...s-free-crutch/
    When you can dance, you can repeatedly kick the person behind you in the crotch.

One person I know uses something similar to this...

One of our Aussies last year had a broken leg. I think he was so wasted he hardly knew it:-)

I think Im going to do the scooter and just decorate it with a bunch of lights so I can be seen but pretty bummed about no refused mosh pit.

Lurker

So if I'm on crutches and have a disabled parking permit, I can get into the wheelchair risers? I have a medical boot too (damaged my soft tissue around the ankle), and I have tendonitis in the other foot, so standing for longer than 10 minutes sucks and I really can't imagine standing all day at Coachella. Also, we have shuttle passes, I can still walk, but bringing my crutches won't be that big of an issue on the shuttle will it?

You might want to read the ADA section - http://www.coachella.com/festival-info/ada Sounds like you would need to visit the Service Center to get a wristband to be allowed on the risers.

So I just went through a Coachella weekend with a boot cast. I'll probably list a series of thoughts until I can edit it for better flow. Overall, I had a decent experience, but wouldn't wish it upon the world.

So I flew in from a major airport. The security line was long. Luckily, I was shown a handicapped line that got me to put my stuff on the xray belt pretty quickly. The area was carpetted and I felt comfortable removing my cast shoe (the return airport was stone and I was allowed to keep the shoe on). I looked at some TSA procedures and expected a cast xray. Instead, I got swap tests on my palms and on the cast looking for bomb making residue. Preboarding was nice. Unfortunately, there weren't any closets and had to stick the two crutches in the overhead. That means they'll work with backpacks, but not rolling suitcases.

Having a leg cast sucks. I was lucky to have 2 days of cold weather. With the "hot" day, sweat inside the cast was an issue. I also went w/ a different boot than what the hospital gave me: protective cast shoe. None of my toes got stepped on and it was easy to walk in. The design just trapped dirt and the opening gauze is now pretty dirty.

I mostly just need one crutch on my left side to get around and decided to avoid bring both crutches. The only areas that were difficult were some of the minor hills. The transitions between grass and cobblestone weren't the most even. Also, the ramps to the risers got slick in the rain. People were very friendly and typically gave me the right of way. Nonetheless, I couldn't imagine having to go through the nightime crowds with two crutches. I didn't think of putting EL lighting or adding glowsticks to my crutch like some folks did. I had a bright headlight i had used to illuminate the ground + make my cast/crutch more visible. Sitting on the ground, the crutch made a good barrier, too.

ADA wristbands were easy to get. I just showed my DMV placard slip and had my name taken down with 1 "companion". The companions probably needed separate wristband colors. Most of the time, the companions would give up seats for the ones who really needed them. It seemed like a few people got multiple companions, but spots on the risers weren't guaranteed for them. One lady kept complaining during Radiohead about how the other friends couldn't get on the riser. She was disturbing enough for one guy to call her names and she left angrily.

One of the worst parts about a cast is the swelling. I loved being able to use the riser railing to prop my leg up on the railing.

One of the risers for the main stage wasn't marked on the map and they're a little hard to find in the dark. Convenience-wise, the tent risers should probably have gone on the left sides instead of the right sides to save on distance and travelling time.

I car camped, too. The check-in folks put an "A" on the windshield specifically to show ADA, but nothing ended up as a result from it. We were put closer to the clubhouse, but that meant a trek to the festival. The showers were problematic. I was told there were ADA showers, but the map didn't show that. Also, they were trying to move the line quickly Saturday morning. Some people were late getting out and my side didn't even get the full 5 minutes we were told we'd get. In my rush, I ripped a boot cast shower thing. That had me resorting to wipes for the rest of the trip. I'm not happy about that one.

For non-camping folks, the ADA parking lot looked really easy to get to from Monroe. In entering the festival, you avoided the main gate madness and you ended up right behind Gobi. That looked really convenient.

Sunday night, I accidentally left a cast outside of the tent. I woke up needing to use the bathroom and discovered it missing. I seriously thought a non-sober person took it. I was lucky that a friend noticed it and stashed it in their tent.
    Last edited by aaalllen; 04-16-2012 at 11:35 PM.

malcolmjamalaweful malcolmjama1awesome's Avatar

i havent. whats the cost per gram?

Lurker

Thanks for the hints, I'm going to illuminate my boot so it can be seen and so I can see the ground at night! I'm also pretty sure my boot is going to stink like nothing I've ever smelled before. We are flying out Houston, and I called the airline and they gave me the front row seating for free! I also plan to wheel through the airport, so I can avoid as much swelling as possible before Friday (we fly in Thursday). My husband is a bit perturbed about me having to be in the risers (we typically are wayyyy in the front of a crowd), but I don't want to experience Coachella sitting on the ground! Car camping sounds like the pits, but thanks for the tips everyone! And I hope everyone that is injured is feeling better!

So I dont know if you have enough time but I found this neat little rig and it saved my coachella by far!!!! I had the most amazing time and was for the majority of sets in a good spot. I even attempted one circle in the refused pit. With this walking device you can stand as well because you balance on your knee. I will say by sunday my whole body was aching but I pushed through and sunday ended up being one of the best days I have ever had at coachella. The last thing I will say is do not have your sights too high on seeing a lot of bands. I was hoping to catch 8-10 a day but it ended up varying from 5-8.

Also wanted to add when on crutches or impaired you can sneak in anything you want I was not checked once.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    When you can dance, you can repeatedly kick the person behind you in the crotch.

One person I know uses something similar to this...

I saw so many of these this weekend actually, a few wheelchairs and crutches as well. I gotta give it up for the injured not letting it slow them down.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

So I dont know if you have enough time but I found this neat little rig and it saved my coachella by far!!!! I had the most amazing time and was for the majority of sets in a good spot. I even attempted one circle in the refused pit. With this walking device you can stand as well because you balance on your knee. I will say by sunday my whole body was aching but I pushed through and sunday ended up being one of the best days I have ever had at coachella. The last thing I will say is do not have your sights too high on seeing a lot of bands. I was hoping to catch 8-10 a day but it ended up varying from 5-8.
    that pic isnt showing up for me but were you the dude with the boot cast and your knee bent back with the spring leg looking thing you could just walk on? if so i passed you sat or sun near the entrance and i was pretty amused by your setup. wasnt sure if it was home made or what but it looked pretty legit

Lurker

Also wanted to add when on crutches or impaired you can sneak in anything you want I was not checked once.
    This is good information.

the coastal town that they forgot to close down

[QUOTE=aaalllen;2462782]ADA wristbands were easy to get. I just showed my DMV placard slip and had my name taken down with 1 "companion". The companions probably needed separate wristband colors. Most of the time, the companions would give up seats for the ones who really needed them. It seemed like a few people got multiple companions, but spots on the risers weren't guaranteed for them. One lady kept complaining during Radiohead about how the other friends couldn't get on the riser. She was disturbing enough for one guy to call her names and she left angrily.
    One of the risers for the main stage wasn't marked on the map and they're a little hard to find in the dark. Convenience-wise, the tent risers should probably have gone on the left sides instead of the right sides to save on distance and travelling time.

not one yellow-shirt could tell me where the risers for radiohead were -- i did not realize how night-blind i was. i could have scoped it out myself earlier, i suppose. regardless i walked a lot extra that night thanks to the ever-present blank stares of security. getting the wristband for myself + companion was simple, yes, but it ended up not helping me out whatsoever.

<<I car camped, too. The check-in folks put an "A" on the windshield specifically to show ADA, but nothing ended up as a result from it. We were put closer to the clubhouse, but that meant a trek to the festival.>>

placard did nothing thursday evening and was stuck out in lot 7. took days to recover from that -- walking the fields wasn't an issue, just the route 'home'. i got different answers every time my boyfriend or myself visited the access center regarding ADA carts but gave up after being denied seating for radiohead... frustrated, i just left.

hope you're comfy at home now with the leg up + that it heals straight away.

Bumping this for some of the optimism on the thread. Just broke/sprained (hairline fracture) my ankle last night, so I get to practice using crutches for the first time on the Polo field. Trying to stay positive about it.

Any other gimps out there heading down this weekend? Advice on how best to get by?

Lurker

Smile Re: Anyone ever done coachella on crutches????

I'm not going this year, but last year I used the ADA risers for every show. If you can manage to get a temporary handicap placard before you go, DO IT RIGHT NOW- you will then be able to park in the Handicap parking, have instant access to the festival (I think the entrance is near the Mojave tent), and never wait in line for security checks. First thing I did was go to the ADA booth, tell them my husband and I needed wristbands to access the risers and that was it really. I didn't show them anything (I was in a medical boot and had crutches) and we went on our way. We went early everyday and chilled on the risers for all the shows we wanted to see. At the main stage, there are two sets of risers (left and right side of the stage), and during headliners when it was packed they did ask companions to give up their seats for those in crutches who needed them. Also, for acts we wanted to see we made sure to get there early and get a seat because the risers were pretty packed. They were really attentive and I thought it went really well, I really liked the risers because I tried to stand in the crowd for Pulp last year and was pushed off my crutches by some guys who were rushing to get to the front, and that was not fun at all, after that I had no desire to stand in the crowd in crutches. We didn't camp, so I can't offer much help there but seriously get the handicapped placard if you're parking. Also, if you think that the crutches are going to be difficult to get around on consider renting a wheelchair, there were quite a few people in casts last year with them.

I had a blast last year, I'm sure you will too don't let your broken ankle get you down!

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Bumping this for some of the optimism on the thread. Just broke/sprained (hairline fracture) my ankle last night, so I get to practice using crutches for the first time on the Polo field. Trying to stay positive about it.

Any other gimps out there heading down this weekend? Advice on how best to get by?
    Crutching long distances over the weekend sucks, but getting to sit in the disabled sections at each stage make up for it. I hurt my foot a few years back and had to crutch it. It actually turned out ok, except my arms and pits were killin me by the end. But like I said, the view from the disabled section is money.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    You might want to read the ADA section - http://www.coachella.com/festival-info/ada Sounds like you would need to visit the Service Center to get a wristband to be allowed on the risers.
    There's sign language interpretation for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? I wonder what the sign is for "a *** in a whalebone corset draping his dick across my cheek" is?
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

GOOD LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    Crutching long distances over the weekend sucks, but getting to sit in the disabled sections at each stage make up for it. I hurt my foot a few years back and had to crutch it. It actually turned out ok, except my arms and pits were killin me by the end. But like I said, the view from the disabled section is money.
    I totally forgot to get a doctor's note in this process - how necessary are they for ADA? I can probably call and get something emailed if necessary.

I dont think they make you prove anything. If you're on crutches I'm pretty sure they'll hook you up. Just don't fake it or else you'll go to hell.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!