Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day 2012 (April 21st)

Default Re: Record Store Day 2012 (April 21st)

Seriously; I've found prices for the six I'm thinking of getting, and I'm over $100.

Speaking of prices, here are a couple links from a record store in Michigan which lists all the details for all the releases: http://www.facebook.com/notes/underg...50666717804840 and http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...50666718999840
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    I'm definitely going to pick up this Shabazz Palaces release:

YUP.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Woah! Is it the original Motown single?
    Oh man, I hope it's the '66 Motown version and not the rerecorded '67 version. But I can't imagine the interest anyone would have in the single without Rick James and Neil Young. Like, that's the draw.

EDIT: What what what, James Brown Live at the Apollo 7"!? Oh.snap. Fuck this year is going to be rough.

And has anyone noticed that RSD ignores jazz and classical? I know there have been some Miles Davis, but where are the Riverside, Savoy, and Verve reissues? Fuck. And classical, what about classical? I would love some of those Angel releases. Or even better, the stuff recorded in the USSR for Melodiya. Sviatoslav Richter, anyone? Fucking please. I have one Melodiya record from '64 and it's magnificent.
    Last edited by greghead; 03-22-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Seriously; I've found prices for the six I'm thinking of getting, and I'm over $100.

Speaking of prices, here are a couple links from a record store in Michigan which lists all the details for all the releases: http://www.facebook.com/notes/underg...50666717804840 and http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...50666718999840
    oy... yeah I'm up well over $200 according to that if I can grab everything I want (which isn't likely)

Arctic Monkeys
    David Bowie Starman
    Crosses
    Cure
    Lana del rey
    Fleetwood Mac 2x45"
    Florence + machine
    Garbage
    Grouplove
    M83
    Neon Indian
    Regina Spektor
    School of 7 Bells
    Sigur Ros
    St. Vincent
    Straylight Run
    Tegan & Sara

And that all goes past the max limit that Zia has listed for shipping on the coachella site hah.
    Last edited by microcuts; 03-23-2012 at 08:48 AM.

every time i try to go to that website at my job it stops loading because it automatically tries to download an unknown file type....grrrrr. i'm trying to see everyone on my phone, but it's sooooooo slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/23 IAMX@Glass House - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/26 IAMX@Complex - 10/27 Tycho/Com Truise@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent

Holy fuck that Unrest box set looks amazing! Only 250 tho, and I'm sure its $$$

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/5422
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

That Canada-only DFA pink vinyl is serious business.

Uh, Josh, feel like doing me a huge favor . . . ?

Yummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    That Canada-only DFA pink vinyl is serious business.

Uh, Josh, feel like doing me a huge favor . . . ?
    o god... me too josh. not fair.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

want.

some will be sold online. it's not clear what time of day they will become available though.

darn.

Jack White is getting serious... Tri-colors are so last week...

ps wow at 3:17 into the video

JACK WHITE “SIXTEEN SALTINES”

The 12-inch single of Jack White’s “Sixteen Saltines” comes complete with a playable etching on the b-side (designed by George Ingram), a cover of U2’s “Love is Blindness.” Truly a sight to behold, the etching depicts Third Man’s iconic logo and the grooves of the record play through the image, presenting consumers with the world’s first-ever playable etched record .

As if that weren’t enough, Third Man took the playable etching one step further and used the same parts to make a limited-edition version of the “Saltines” 12-inch single. Not only is the etching playable, but the record itself is pressed on clear vinyl and filled with psychedelic blue liquid. While the soundtrack for the 1978 film The Black Hole was initially prototyped as a liquid-filled disc, problems with leakage prevented it from ever being released. The liquid-filled “Saltines” is the first-ever disc of its kind to be made available to the public.

KAREN ELSON “MILK AND HONEY”

In addition to these two releases, Third Man is also releasing the new single from Karen Elson. The cover of Jackson C. Frank’s “Milk and Honey” is pressed on milk and honey split-colored vinyl coupled with a laser-cut lace sleeve. The visual these two elements make when combined together is, as you can see, stunning.

The WHITE STRIPES “HAND SPRINGS” B/W “RED DEATH AT 6:14”

In addition to that, Third Man is releasing a milk and honey swirled colored vinyl of Elson’s single as well as a red vinyl with black whisps edition of the White Stripes “Hand Springs” and “Red Death at 6:14”, two songs that have been out of print on vinyl for over ten years. These two releases, along with the CD/LP release of Jerry Lee Lewis’ live recording at Third Man (that took place on Record Store Day 2011) will be available at ANY record store wise enough to have ordered copies for Record Store Day.

The liquid-filled record and laser-cut lace split-color will ONLY be available from Third Man Records physical location in Nashville (623 7th Ave S) on Record Store Day, April 21st, 2012. The playable etching will also be available from Third Man and a select number of record stores.

Last edited by Spooks; 03-31-2012 at 06:00 PM.

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/15 Flying Lotus @ Terminal 5
    10/16 Flying Lotus @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick
    10/18 Ambivalent/Mike Dehnert @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

does anyone have record store day advice? I've never been anywhere but coachella for this. should I just plan on being at amoeba at opening time that day? is it going to be a crazy rush to grab stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    does anyone have record store day advice? I've never been anywhere but coachella for this. should I just plan on being at amoeba at opening time that day? is it going to be a crazy rush to grab stuff?
    In NY, I've always gone to Other Music (pretty small store. about 1/10 of Amoeba in LA!) for Record Store Day. Most stores open at 10am (some earlier/later) and people start lining up anytime after 7am from what I know. I've always shown up about an hour before the store opens and have gotten most of what was on my list. I don't know the size of Amoeba in SF but I went to the one in LA couple years ago. Fuckin you guys have so much to appreciate for that store haha. So many rare Lps/movies and everything else. I could have spent another 5 hours in there!

Sorry for that rant but if you show up probably and hour or two before the store opens, you should be fine. I think Amoeba store in LA has free in-store performances all day so maybe SF one does too. Have fun and don't spend too much money!

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Well arent I glad anything I want for RSD will be at Coachella a week early................

Unreleased Jack White album track available only via helium balloon haha...let me know if anyone gets one!

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Well arent I glad anything I want for RSD will be at Coachella a week early................
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................
    (supre was never seen again)

godammit Jack White will not stop until he has all my moneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Damn, just noticed this Townes Van Zandt reissue. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post

Yummy.
    Oh. Fuck. The record store I am playing at on Record Store Day has this on order, but don't know if they will actually be getting it in. If they do... Dear Lord.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I didn't know that some stores do midnight onsales for RSD

I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Oh. Fuck. The record store I am playing at on Record Store Day has this on order, but don't know if they will actually be getting it in. If they do... Dear Lord.
    Josh, if by the grace of this godless universe you manage to see an extra copy of this, please please please pick it up for me. You will be compensated well-above any out-of-pocket cost you incur. I understand the limited nature of the release and that this will be no easy task, still . . .

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Damn, just noticed this Townes Van Zandt reissue. Fuck.
    Say what? I was restricting myself from looking at the list, but I may have to purchase this, along with Mermaid Avenue reissue.

death grips, shabazz palaces, animal collective, nicolas jaar, lou reed, refused, white stripes are all mine.

how many limited edition pressings is the life of that dfa record gunna see? good god this is like the 4th time.

- RSD exclusive titles for sale
    - Record Store Day Gift Bags (with purchase)
    - DJ sets
    - Live T-Shirt silk screening brought to you by our friends at Junk Food Clothing, Family Industries and Anti-/Epitaph Records!
    - Limited-edition 2012 Amoeba/RSD T-shirts
    - Spin our Prize Wheel for great prizes and to raise money for the Silverlake Conservatory
    So no live in-stores for Record Store Day at Amoeba this year?
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

They're all gonna be at Origami.

I'm so sad. I love RSD at Vacation and Origami.

Also, I am reaaaaaly nervous I won't get the records I want. There's no way I'm buying them at Coachella and I need to find a friend on the ground in LA who would be willing to pick up a few of my top picks. (Namely the Nobunny EP.)

Why not buy at Coachella and just pay to store them thru Sunday?

Origami Vinyl's Record Store Day 2012

The day has finally arrived! Join OV to celebrate Record Store Day the best way we know how: 8 bands, guest DJ's, giveaways, and much much more! OV doors to open at 8am, bands to start playing at 12pm!

Bands to play (at the echo):

-Henry Clay People

-Electric Guest

-Races

-Zammuto

-Jenny O

-All Tiny Creatures

-Electric Flower Group

+ special guest TBA!!

the guest DJ's that will be spinning in Origami Vinyl:

Jason Kramer from KCRW

Shaun Koplow from Anticon

Jason from Dub Club/Punky Reggae

Matt & Patrick from Light in the Attic

Alyssa from KXLU

+ more DJ's TBA!

some important info:

-like last year, ten people at a time will be allowed to shop in the store for your ultimate shop til you drop pleasure! There will also be people working the lines to keep you updated on the store's inventory

-We're going to have a little private room with fancy turntables and receivers and headphones by Eskuche where you can go and listen to your new purchases

-as well as a vinyl valet, where you can safely check in your records so that you may enjoy the show

Last but not least this is going to be the best day ever so come join the fun!

Much thanks and high fives to Generic Surplus, Eskuche Headphones and the Echo!
    I'm guessing the special guest is How to Dress Well since that's where the Jenny O. link actually goes on the Echo's site.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

That's pretty cool - I'd love to hear what Nick Zammuto's solo stuff sounds like live.