Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lineup is Great, But Who Could've made it Even Better?!

Default The Lineup is Great, But Who Could've made it Even Better?!

Every year, Coachella comes through with an amazing lineup that makes me happier than a kid on christmas, at disneyland, with a lollipop, on pirates of the carri.........you get the point. And every year before the lineup comes out, me and my friends make predictions, that we always say we're going to make a fake line-up with, (but that never happens). Of course I am quite satisfied with the lineup and a bunch of our predictions were right but there's always a couple artists I am a bit shocked to not see there or at least really wanted to be there. Some of the artists I'm shocked aren't there aren't necessarily ones I wanted to see that bad but had a lot of hype and such. So I'm curious to see who you guys were surprised to not see there or really wish were there. I even invite you to make a list of people you are glad didn't show up. I'm guessing coldplay and no doubt will be on a few of those. Here are a few of my picks. I'm excited to see yours.
    Surprised Not To See There
    Fleet Foxes
    Wilco
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Lykke Li
    The Mars Volta
    James Blake
    Friendly Fires
    Washed Out
    Com Truise
    Battles
    Zola jesus
    Kurt Vile
    My Morning Jacket
    Panda Bear
    Fucked Up
    The Antlers
    Little Dragon
    The War On Drugs
    Wish Were There
    RHCP
    Jamie Cullum
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Active child
    Clock Opera
    Ben Howard
    Young The Giant
    Enter Shikari
    The New Division
    Silversun Pickups
    The Naked and Famous
    Memory Tapes
    Baths
    Star Slinger
    Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs
    Patrick Wolf
    Young Buffalo
    Future islands
    Lucy Rose
    A Basement Rendezvous
    The List could go on!
    Bands I Want To Be There, That Never Will Be
    Incubus!!!!!
    Brand New

Default Re: The Lineup is Great, But Who Could've made it Even Better?!

nice list, bro. A +

COOL FUCKING THREAD BRO!

I approve of this list!

10/10

My choices would be Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. Seriously, though

Suprised not there:
    Your list covers it.

Wish were here:
    Twerps
    Tapes N Tapes
    Tennis

Never will be but wish were:
    R.E.M.
    White Stripes
    Rolling Stones
    Replacements

Glad not here:
    Lady Gaga

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    My choices would be Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. Seriously, though

Suprised not there:
    Your list covers it.

Wish were here:
    Twerps
    Tapes N Tapes
    Tennis

Never will be but wish were:
    R.E.M.
    White Stripes

Rolling Stones
    Replacements

Glad not here:
    Lady Gaga
    both of those have coachella reunion written all over them.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

This thread is proof that there are too many bands on the same level.

Will there ever be another band that shocks people and makes fans faint, scream, cry the way that the Beatles, Elvis or MJ did? Will there ever be another guitar player as talenteD and innovative as Hendrix? Music has changed so much.

The environment, era and listener effect the excitement and energy of an artist. There are so many peoPle in this world now. So much technology to make recording, publishing, sharing,production,promotion so quick and disposable. There are so many variables that could effect an artists influence over people, so many more distractions and gimmicks these days. It might seem like music as a whole might be losing its magic.
    Music has taken a turn for the better in the last decade IMO. This recession, our crooked gov , revolutions all over the world and tough times for many peoPle will bring out more artistic expression and a generation of music lovers that will come together to create another huge band or artist. Whoever booked these bands and/or whatever the circumstances that brought us to this line up, they didn't do too bad considering how many fucking bands, Djs, artists, gimmicks there are. There's a lot of barn yard fans these days. Different strokes Yadda Yadda...

There are really so many great bands on the line up. Great gimmicks too. We're gonna lose it this year people.

Get excited. Be about it! Fucking Radiohead(The Beatles)! Snoop a loop(Elvis)! Omar(Hendrix)! Swedish House Mafia(Milli Vinilli)!

Make some fuckin noise!!!!

It's obvious Sonicc is young and isn't a roll tard. He is happy about music and ready to party!
    Last edited by Goatchella; 02-28-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Outkast
    Eiffel 65
    The Transplants
    Meg And Dia
    The Blood Brothers
    Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
    DropxLife
    Earl Sweatshirt
    Empire of the Sun
    Friendly Fires
    Haddaway
    Jason Mraz
    Kill The Noize
    Knife Party
    Major Lazer
    Rebelution
    RX Bandits
    StunnaMan
    Hieroglyphics
    The Toxic Avenger

MiMoSa - saw him play an awesome set in Lake Powell AZ, stage on the beach at sunset it was sick!
    Coachella '10, '11, '12 (w2), '13 (w1), '14 (w1) and hopefully every one after

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    Ray Charles

Your Mom
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Lurker

Suprised:

Skrillex
    Death Cab
    Bjork

Wish:

Motörhead
    Daft Punk
    MGMT
    Garbage
    Bush
    Blur
    Jimmy Eat World
    Massive Attack

Surprised:

Jack White
    Ting-Tings

Wish:

White Stripes
    Tom Waits

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post

Will there ever be another band that shocks people and makes fans faint, scream, cry the way that the Beatles, Elvis or MJ did? Will there ever be another guitar player as talenteD and innovative as Hendrix? Music has changed so much.

The environment, era and listener effect the excitement and energy of an artist. There are so many peoPle in this world now. So much technology to make recording, publishing, sharing,production,promotion so quick and disposable. There are so many variables that could effect an artists influence over people, so many more distractions and gimmicks these days. It might seem like music as a whole might be losing its magic.
    Music has taken a turn for the better in the last decade IMO. This recession, our crooked gov , revolutions all over the world and tough times for many peoPle will bring out more artistic expression and a generation of music lovers that will come together to create another huge band or artist. Whoever booked these bands and/or whatever the circumstances that brought us to this line up, they didn't do too bad considering how many fucking bands, Djs, artists, gimmicks there are. There's a lot of barn yard fans these days. Different strokes Yadda Yadda...

There are really so many great bands on the line up. Great gimmicks too. We're gonna lose it this year people.

Get excited. Be about it! Fucking Radiohead(The Beatles)! Snoop a loop(Elvis)! Omar(Hendrix)! Swedish House Mafia(Milli Vinilli)!

It's obvious Sonicc is young and isn't a roll tard. He is happy about music and ready to party!
    I guess I came off wrong. I actually am really excited about the lineup. I lost my shit when I saw it. As I do every year with coachella! I was just curious to see other peoples' opinions. And as much as I love classic rock and I think that era of music is legendary, I think music is as good now as it's ever been. So many people think it's shit because they're only judging by what they see on TV or hear on the radio but when you really hunt for good music, with the few exceptions of great artists actually getting recognition these days, you can find some amazing stuff. I agree, people need to stop wishing things were like the old days and embrace the now. I believe there can be artists who will live up to the standards of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc. as long as people open their minds and let it happen. A recent quote from Sir Paul McCartney in Rolling Stone said, "You get the argument 'Make way for the young kids,' and you think 'Fuck that, let them make way for themselves. If they're better than me, they'll beat me.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post

Kanye West
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtram View Post
    if you can't pull off getting drugs into a festival and consuming them, you don't deserve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Wait. You like Cudi but you think Outkast is a one hit wonder.

Somebody shoot this fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
    "You get the argument 'Make way for the young kids,' and you think 'Fuck that, let them make way for themselves. If they're better than me, they'll beat me.'"
    This
    M83 Grouplove The Black Keys Kendrick Lamar Arctic Monkeys Neon Indian Datsik
    A$AP Rocky Flying Lotus AWOLNATION Radiohead Azealia Banks
    The Weeknd Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg Florence & The Machine Goyte Avicii

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    COOL FUCKING THREAD BRO!
    Chill man haha

Surprised not there:
    Fleet Foxes
    Pretty Lights
    Das Racist
    Panda Bear
    Little Dragon

Wish they get there next year:
    Arcade Fire(They should play every year
    Big Gigantic
    Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
    Flobots!
    Slaughterhouse
    Rusko
    Rebelution
    Pendulum
    Porcupine Tree!!
    Benzi
    Iration

Really Really wish they were there:
    Flight of the Concords

Primus. It was Claypool's first year in 2010 and they have their first studio album in years come out last September...what the fuck?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

somewhat surprised not to see at least one of the following:
    TV on the radio
    Filter
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Thomas Dolby
    Roger Waters
    Coldplay
    Gary Numan
    RHCP
    Foster the People
    Puscifer
    Jack White (solo)
    Perry Farrell in some form.

wish was there:
    Jamiroquai
    Pink Floyd
    TV on the Radio
    Kidneythieves
    Fever Ray
    Jane's Addiction
    Collide
    How to Destroy Angels
    A Perfect Circle
    -------------------------------
    Coachella
    2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012.1
    Lollapalooza
    1991, 1992, 2003

why would incubus never play coachella? i saw brandon boyd walking around the fields a few years ago.. looked all 'chellad out

The Roots!
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Quote Originally Posted by Genowarp View Post
    why would incubus never play coachella? i saw brandon boyd walking around the fields a few years ago.. looked all 'chellad out
    Lookin all "'chellad out" haha. Nice. Well idk, so many people talk shit about them. I happen to think they're one of the best bands of our generation but I mean, everyone has their own opinions I guess. Some of them are justified and some of them are just hipstomatic. I've seen hundreds of artists live, pushing over a grand soon, and they are still one of the best live acts I have ever seen. This year should've been the year.

Beck. I'll see him @ Sasquatch! though. Who knows how much more he has in the tank.

After listening to the new Punch Brothers album, I'm gonna have to say I wish they were there too. You should all check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Genowarp View Post
    Most people don't see them as a Coachella "fit" but I am not even sure that makes sense anymore. I am not a big Incubus fan, but I can certainly think of dozens of worse late-90's / early-2000's rock bands that would be worse choices.

Shabazz Palaces with TheeSatisfaction

Been waiting 5 years to see OUTKAST at Coachella... They would have put the icing on the cake this year playing on Sunday before Dre and Snoop.. Also, I have never seen Daft Punk or The Chemical Brothers live, but I hear they are ahead of the curve... So GIVE THEM TO US NEXT YEAR!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoLab1 View Post
    Been waiting 5 years to see OUTKAST at Coachella... They would have put the icing on the cake this year playing on Sunday before Dre and Snoop.. Also, I have never seen Daft Punk or The Chemical Brothers live, but I hear they are ahead of the curve... So GIVE THEM TO US NEXT YEAR!!
    Since the Chemical Brothers have played more times at Coachella than any other artist,(At least I think so, 6 times? now being followed by the black keys at 5), I'm sure they'll be back until they break up and than reunite and finally become a headliner. Daft Punk on the other hand, I keep hearing rumors that 1 of the guys is going deaf and he has a kid so life is hitting him pretty hard right now and I wouldn't get your hopes up about it. I think if Dat Punk was going to be there, it would've been last year. As for Outkast, I would definitely say that is a possibility.

Above & Beyond or anything else listed below.
    '10, '11, '12.1, '13.1, '14.1

Quote Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
    Daft Punk on the other hand, I keep hearing rumors that 1 of the guys is going deaf and he has a kid so life is hitting him pretty hard right now and I wouldn't get your hopes up about it. I think if Dat Punk was going to be there, it would've been last year. As for Outkast, I would definitely say that is a possibility.
    Bangalter isn't going deaf, he had a case of tinnitus years ago which he has since cleared. Having a kid should actually be a reason to have hope for more live shows, gotta pay into that Sorbonne fund.

Although I personally hold them in very high regard and simply refuse at this point in my life to argue it, I believe Ween is a Coachella worthy act that we will never see on the polo fields due to the unfortunate jamband stigma.
    Last edited by thedevious; 03-20-2012 at 02:27 AM.
    Years Attended:

Lurker

Sounds pretty spot on. I think I'll just add one to the Wish Were There list.

Dead Sara