Thread: DSLR Survivability

Default DSLR Survivability

I am thinking of bringing a new DSLR Camera with me to Coachella this year. I understand the rule about 'professional cameras'. What I am wondering about is if my camera will be able to survive the heat and ruckus of the weekend. Does anyone have any experience with this? Success stories? Horror stories?

Default Re: DSLR Survivability

You understand 'professional camera' = anything with a removable lens?

I do understand that. Thank you. I am not concerned with the "rule". This will be my sixth year, and I understand that the "rule" doesn't always matter. Even if I can not bring it in each day I would still like to get good pictures in the campsite.

Glad we got that straight about the "rule". Your camera can most likely survive the temperatures it will be subjected to walking around the "festival". However, leaving it in your "car" or your "tent" might be a bad "idea".

If you put it in the shade in a vehicle it will likely be ok. Just cover it in something.

Don't forget about dust... Lots and lots of dust... I was consistently cleaning lenses... Keeping an air tight carrying case close by is a must...

if its a nikon it will break
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

I would recommend taking the following steps:

1. Don't leave batteries in a hot car. It will kill them. And if you must, make sure you remove them from your flash and camera body and store them separately.

2. Don't move your camera between extreme temperatures quickly. If must go from a 65 degree shaded car to an 100 degree sunny field, keep your camera in its case in a bag when you take it out of the car, and let interior of the bag acclimate slowly before you pull the camera out.

3. Hopefully you are already using some sort of filter on each of your lenses for protection. For concerts, I always use a lens hood, even at night, just because it's yet another way to protect your camera if it gets dropped or if somebody knocks up against it in a crowd.

4. Don't change lenses in the dust and risk exposing your mirror and sensor to grime you're not going to be able to get off.

The only problem i have really had with the heat was a filter coming apart. As mentioned above, lots of lens cleaning. Not sure about the frailty of Nikon, but the Canons i have used have proven to be pretty sturdy.