Thread: Why can John Mayer never play Coachella? (besides "he sucks", et al)

Default Why can John Mayer never play Coachella? (besides "he sucks", et al)

Seriously, I just have a gut feeling that Goldenvoice would never in a million years book John Mayer for Coachella unless they were on a suicide mission. Why is that? Sure, most people here loathe him, but look beyond that. He's arguably not a terrible musician. And Coachella has not hit it out of the park with all their bookings. What is the "X Factor"? (A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X_Factor_(TV_series))
    - TOO MAINSTREAM (what about Kanye?)
    - TOO VANILLA (maybe)
    - NO IRONIC HIPSTER APPRECIATION VALUE (most definitely)
    Thoughts.

Default Re: Why can John Mayer never play Coachella? (besides "he sucks", et al)

he sucks

Default Re: Why can John Mayer never play Coachella? (besides "he sucks", et al)

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    he sucks
    Ya, but besides that...

that's like saying: What color is the sky? (besides "blue")

/thread?

I don't understand why you'd need any other reason
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Arguably not terrible? The quality of his songs do not affect his musicianship. I'm not a fan but I have to admit that the man can play guitar.

Here's why...

You trying to jack my swag foo
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Arguably not terrible? The quality of his songs do not affect his musicianship. I'm not a fan but I have to admit that the man can play guitar.
    Yeah on a pure guitar talent wise I think he is one of the better ones out there. It's not that I dislike him (not a fan though) but his music is geared for teenage girls. He is a pop act that happens to be a guitarist.
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I think that's it. Any act whose fanbase is primarily young women is not fair game for Coachella. Though I think a lot of adults enjoy his music as well.

In my opinion, the real question is why can't John Mayer play Coachella but Jack Johnson can? (and more than once, right?)

The issue with Jack Johnson in 08 was not that he was playing, but the fact that he was headlining. There wouldn't have been so much backlash at it if he was billed as a sub instead. That being said are you really trying to compare John Mayer to Jack Johnson? Besides both of them being guitarist they don't sound anything alike (Unless if Jack has drastically changed his sound, I haven't listened to anything he's done since 08).
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I'm not a fan of Jack Johnson OR John Mayer but I'd definitely put them in the same genre of music that they perform...

I can say as someone who has seen John Mayer live multiple times, that his musicianship is worthy of credit and his actual performances are far better than the majority of his songs. When I started listening to him I was a college aged girl and therefore his main demographic, but a that point he was still down with the college aged males as well. He kept trying to play into that with his songs/lrics and somewhere along the line turned into someone my mother loves.

But whether or not you think he's a decent performer, his body of work doesn't really fit the whole Coachella vibe as broad as it is, even at his bluesy/rocky/jammiest best live. I felt the same about Jack Johnson and I don't really care for him at all.

Having said all that....

Why does this thread exist?
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

But the real question is would there be guests? Will Taylor Swift show up???

No cause she thinks we're mean.....
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Good answer MusicIs. I was just curious, every once in a while I ponder John Mayer at Coachella and it just wouldn't work.

yea, you cant deny the fact that he is one of the best guitar players of the last 10 years. I wont lie, his Try! album where he did some hendrix covers and a lot of funk/blues, was decent. his signing sucks really bad but his guitar playing in phenomenal