Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2012 vs Bonnaroo 2012

Default Re: Coachella 2012 vs Bonnaroo 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    I like Mimosa. Mac Miller is horrible. There's so much better hip hop. How can you mention Mac and not bring up being excited to see Black Star.
    Well, he is a Mac Miller fan...

Coachella 2012 > Roo 2012. And for me it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Coachella is better, period. Way better acts overall. Plus who wants to go to Tennessee anyways. Put these threads in the poll section
    An absolutely ridiculous statement...half the lineups the fucking same.

Bonnaroo 2012 has 5 buzz acts I totally wanted to see on this year's Coachella Lineup - Kurt Vile, The War On Drugs, The Antlers, Charles Bradley & White Denim...Coachella has The Weeknd, Yuck, Destroyer, M83, WU Lyf...both fests whiffed on a lot of the strong SF garage acts out there right now like Thee Oh Sees, Fresh & Onlys and so on and so on.

Coachella Does have Pulp, Refused, Company Flow, Squeeze, Buzzcocks, At The Drive In vs. The Beach Boys...so I will concede a straight up Coachella win on the reunion front...but as someone who prefers Jam bands to DJs, overall,I'd call it close to a wash...and this says nothing to the fact that Lolla has had a better lineup than Coachella two years running.

Don't get me wrong, Coachella's always my favorite fest...but more for the vibe/venue versus the lineups...which have become pretty comparable...and highly interchangable...between the 3-5 top US fests.

Coachella 12 >>>>>> Bonnaroo, hell we shouldn't even be comparing the two. Bonnaroo pretty much dropped outside lands v 2.0...phish, the shins, foster the people, little dragon, phantogram, the roots, major lazer,

totally missed it. stupid me. And I agree, I just wish chella had a bit more hip hop artists this year

Overall, Coachella beats Bonnaroo. Both in headliners and undercard. Coachella either had them last year or this year.

The Beach Boys? It sounds more of a nostalgia idea that will quickly turn into leaving for another act once you realize you start feeling sorry for the band. After the Grammy performance i cant see myself sitting through their entire set.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntmaster3000 View Post
    this right here!!^^ Phish was so fucking great, never danced so ridiculous in my life. 2013 please
    3 random people hugged me immediately after it ended. I was completely out of my mind and wasn't sure what was going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post

Bonnaroo 2012 has 5 buzz acts I totally wanted to see on this year's Coachella Lineup - Kurt Vile, The War On Drugs, The Antlers, Charles Bradley & White Denim...Coachella has The Weeknd, Yuck, Destroyer, M83, WU Lyf...both fests whiffed on a lot of the strong SF garage acts out there right now like Thee Oh Sees, Fresh & Onlys and so on and so on.

Coachella Does have Pulp, Refused, Company Flow, Squeeze, Buzzcocks, At The Drive In vs. The Beach Boys...so I will concede a straight up Coachella win on the reunion front...but as someone who prefers Jam bands to DJs, overall,I'd call it close to a wash...and this says nothing to the fact that Lolla has had a better lineup than Coachella two years running.

Don't get me wrong, Coachella's always my favorite fest...but more for the vibe/venue versus the lineups...which have become pretty comparable...and highly interchangable...between the 3-5 top US fests.
    this is where you lost me. fucking straight up wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    this is where you lost me. fucking straight up wrong.
    No kidding, that's a totally braindead thing to say.

Coachella has had the best lineup since 2007 to 2012 compared to all other festivals. Possible exception might be Bonnaroo 2009 which was pretty dope and the only one I would have gone to.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

I completely disagree with everything you said here. How can you say Lolla had a better lineup than Coachella two years running? I went to Coachella and Lolla last year and Lolla didn't even compare to Coachella in terms of the quality acts that I saw. Even most of the EDM lineup at Lolla was Coachella's sloppy seconds. I had a great time at Lolla, but Coachella is a much better fest overall, not even just artist lineup wise.

RHCP, the roots, ben folds five and bad brains would be nice coachella adds. but other than that roo one two looks like last years coachella. mixed with this years coachella. awkwardly.
    My girlfriend looks a little bit like Charlize Theron... and a lot like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

All a matter of preference of course... I keep have been eager to go to 'Roo for many years now but either the timing hasn't worked or there is no compelling reason too. Radiohead at Roo will prob be better (unless its pouring rain or some shit)... RHCP deserve the long career they have had, but I'm just not excited to see them anymore (saw 'em at Coach in 2003, skipped them in 2007). When Coachella came out, I shat bricks over At the Drive In, PULP, Refused, and Dre and Snoop (even though my days of listening the The Chronic ended a decade ago). There are 20 other bands I would pay to see by themselves!! I scanned the Bonaroo lineup, thinking there must be something to be jealous about. Blackstar, and Kurt Vile are it! After seeing the Beach Boys Grammy's corpse-formance... its just gonna be sad. Really, really sad.
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

An absolutely ridiculous statement...half the lineups the fucking same... Don't get me wrong, Coachella's always my favorite fest...but more for the vibe/venue versus the lineups...which have become pretty comparable...and highly interchangable...between the 3-5 top US fests.
    Here's a thought experiment I shared with my Coachella friends. If you carry it out, it's an opportunity to test your assertion that the two fests are the same!

I'm thinking something like this: A band that plays Coachella and only Coachella for the past time period (say three years) gets +1. 'Roo, -1. (Or flip the plus minus, doesn't matter to me).
    A band that plays both in the same year (::cough cough:: Radiohead among others) gets 0.
    If they played one fest one year, and the other the next, they get a half point on the more recent fest e.g. Skrillex -- Coach last year, Roo this year, so -0.5. 0.3 if they played one two years back and are now playing the other.

Then average the scores for each festival over the past 11 years, or however long they've been in existence.

If the two festivals were absolutely unique, scores should be +1 and -1.

I'm wondering how much convergence toward 0 i.e. every band playing both festivals with no unique acts at either, there would be over time.

I imagine there's someone who's more into stats than me that might nit pick with the numbers or the methods, but it's a start.

So, have fun. This thread will look forward to your perfected methodology and results at the end of next week :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Slubgob View Post
    Here's a thought experiment I shared with my Coachella friends. If you carry it out, it's an opportunity to test your assertion that the two fests are the same!

I'm thinking something like this: A band that plays Coachella and only Coachella for the past time period (say three years) gets +1. 'Roo, -1. (Or flip the plus minus, doesn't matter to me).
    A band that plays both in the same year (::cough cough:: Radiohead among others) gets 0.
    If they played one fest one year, and the other the next, they get a half point on the more recent fest e.g. Skrillex -- Coach last year, Roo this year, so -0.5. 0.3 if they played one two years back and are now playing the other.

Then average the scores for each festival over the past 11 years, or however long they've been in existence.

If the two festivals were absolutely unique, scores should be +1 and -1.

I'm wondering how much convergence toward 0 i.e. every band playing both festivals with no unique acts at either, there would be over time.

I imagine there's someone who's more into stats than me that might nit pick with the numbers or the methods, but it's a start.

So, have fun. This thread will look forward to your perfected methodology and results at the end of next week :-)

Don't you threaten me with maths!
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

I hate you for making me do this. And yes, you made me...

Okay, so I did it for this years lineups and only tweaked the equation so that a band that played last year at the opposing fest, eg. skrillex at roo this year, got 0.3 instead of 0.5 because 0.3 would make them less unique, which they are in this case. That being said: Coachella 2012-.788; Bonnaroo 2012- 0.702.

It is also worth noting that as Bonnaroo has only announced 85 names, I only took the 85 highest billed names on the Coachella lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by werner12123 View Post
    I hate you for making me do this. And yes, you made me...
    Hot damn, I'm impressed you did! And a week ahead of schedule nonetheless! Well done, sir or madam as the case may be, well done!

Now, let's calculate our savings by comparing the amount of money spent on $7 Heinekens in the years prior to the revelation that is tequila and lemon ice ;-)

To the Stat-mobile!

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    i concur..

Too and chella are too different worlds.

I like all the corn fed tards and wooks at roo.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I just wish chella had a bit more hip hop artists this year

out of curiosity, what hip hop acts would you have liked to see? i'm a hip hop fan when im in the right mood and i haven't been fortuanate enough to come across any good new stuff lately

outside lands v2 agreed. phish the shins foster the people the roots major lazer tune yards little dragon joy forimdable group love k flay orgone. . . and osl aint even that big of a festival.

and where did alice cooper come from?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acasey0 View Post
    and where did alice cooper come from?
    the depths of hell
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Why is this even a thread? Coachella is better every year.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Insightful.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I'm a VIP to your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Insightful.

You're not real good at discerning meaning, are you?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Like, I bet most jokes are over your head. People are laughing and you don't know why.

Not real gooder at being tool