Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Soul's Daily Cab Log

Default Re: Soul's Daily Cab Log

Mon 2/13/12
    Start time 5:00pm

My scheduled cab is actually in the lot, so an improvement over yesterday already. They change my schedule time to 5pm since I'm always late anyway. I can still come in earlier if I want to though. Today is a weird day because hardly any night drivers show up, so there's like 4-6 cabs out for most of the night, so for those of us actually working, we get to run around like chickens with our heads cut off and make good money.

A few notes about types of trips. A standard trip is a cash fare. Someone calls the company, gives them their address, the dispatcher opens up the stand the trip is in (these are geographical divisions of the city, although there are actual specific stands where we can wait for a trip in a given area, and if a trip opens up in that area and we're in the stand, we get the trip automatically if we call on it. Then it goes out to anyone in the general vicinity, although you're allowed to lie about where you are if you can reasonably get a trip within 15-20 minutes. Then it goes out to anyone in the city. If it's a slow night and you're getting beat out on trips, the best thing to do is to wait in a stand, especially if it's one that's near a lot of other stands that you can call in on).

So anyway. Cash fare. The trip goes out, you claim it, you show up, they get in your cab, you take them where they're going, they pay you in cash (we don't have credit card machines at our company). There are a couple of services that work with the cab company to get people around too. These are charges, meaning we fill out a charge slip and at the end of the day, the sum of all of our charges is deducted from our lease. In the rare instance your charges exceeds what you owe, you get paid out in cash the next day.

One type of charge is SCAT, which is part of the local regional transportation department that also runs the city buses. SCATs are for special need citizens. SCATs suck because no matter how far you go, you get about $6 for the trip, $2 in cash from the passenger and $4 from the company as a charge. If you go 2 blocks over (which one lady does just about every night), it's $6. If you go 15 miles away, it's $6. Everyone hates these trips but everyone has to run them (although they don't go out late at night so night drivers have to deal with them less). If a SCAT passenger has been waiting for over an hour, dispatch can offer drivers $5 or $10 off their lease to grab them (they do this with other charges too, but most commonly with SCATs). Because these trips aren't metered, it's not uncommon to bundle up on SCAT customers if they're going in the same direction.

Another charge is TMS, which is slightly better. These charges are just getting people to and from doctor's visits and I think is paid by their insurance companies. There's a certain flat rate if the trip is 1-3 miles, 4-6mi, 7-8mi, etc., so while it's not as good as a cash trip, it at least has a sliding scale, unlike SCATS.

EMC is another medical charge service that pays pretty decent, probably not as much as a cash fare but not too significantly under.

There's other charges too, including some service that gets people to and from their jobs, hospital vouchers, battered women's shelter charges, board of education charges, etc.

Anyway, on with my day.

1. First trip is a SCAT that someone forgot to pick up. Dispatch offers ten off, it's not far from the garage, so I offer to get it. They cancel before I can get half a mile down the road.

2. Replacement trip. 5:18pm-5:41pm. Female, 20s, black. Girl going to work on the far other side of town, really good $35 trip. She's friendly and easygoing. Good start to the day.
    Since I'm out in this part of town, I swing by the health food store since there aren't really any near where I live and stock up on some stuff really quick.

3. 6:27pm-6:37pm. Same guy as #4 yesterday, realize he's definitely in his 40s, he's friendlier and less condescending today and tips pretty good, although he pays with a $50 bill, which you should try not to do for cabbies since we try not to carry too much cash.

4. Cancel en route.

5. 6:55pm-7:02pm. Female, 20s, white. Apts to strip club.

6. 7:18pm-7:35pm. Male, 20s, black. Bar to someone's house that isn't his with a stop at the liquor store. Offers me a flat rate that's a bit higher than I would have estimated the trip to be, so I take it. Asks for my number so he can get a ride later, but I end up being on the other side of town when he texts me.

7. 7:39-7:58. Two females, 20s, black. Some administrative type building to a house. Decent trip.

8. 7:43-8:11. Female, 40s, black. Really soft spoken, kind of timid lady. Goes to the UPS store then picks up Chinese food then goes home.

9. 8:19-8:24. Male, 50s, white. Neighborhood bar to gay bar a bit down the street, pretty good tip.

At this point I realize this trip I tried to call on but didn't hear actually did go to me, but luckily it's only a few minutes away, but I keep forgetting to write down the address and have to ask dispatch, who surprisingly didn't chew my head off.

10. 8:39-8:55. Female, 40s, black. This lady had been waiting a long time and was running late to work, but there's not much we could have done about it since there were only like 5 cabs on the road for the whole city. She asks if there isn't a law saying we have to show up within a certain time, I say no, she says she hopes she doesn't get fired over this and if she does, she's going to sue (the cab company, presumably), I don't say anything. I guess she's a nurses aide or something and had to take care of this paraplegic guy at his home. She gives me the street but not the address so I go the quickest way I know to that general area. As we get close, I try to figure out where exactly she's going and she says something like "Just go whatever way you were going asshole. This is the long way. We should have went this other way." Which is not true and was actually much faster and quicker. She finally gives me the address and I GPS it and we get there. She's mellowed out because she realizes I knew what I was doing and wasn't trying to fuck her over or anything. I give her the trip for $8 even though it's an $18 fare because of the inconvenience. She pays with a $100 bill, which is retarded, but luckily I have the change and don't want another fight so I give her her change without comment. She tries to request a time call pick up for when she gets off work, but we tell her with so few drivers on the road, nothing is guaranteed. Later on, I call a different cab company in the suburb where she was working at to pick her up because there was no way we were going to get her in time.

11. 9:17-9:29. Male, 40s, black. Dispatch offers $10 off for an EMC trip so I take it. Dialysis to the guy's home.

12. 9:35-9:45. Female, 30s, black, two kids. Grocery store to home, stop at the gas station on the way.

13. No show at a gas station.

14. 9:57-10:18. Not really sure what gender this person is, but they're black and in their 40s I think. They smell like soap or hand cream. I remember picking them up before and not being sure of their sex a couple of months ago. Anyway, non eventful trip but a pretty decent fare.

15. 10:24-10:44. Two females, 20s, black, one child. Pick them up from the strip mall and drop them at their respective homes. They're gossiping to each other on the way home, talking about how their families don't help them with their kids enough and how some girl they know is bi. "I knew she was gay before she was pregnant.")

Dispatch changes over. Third shift dispatch are way more gruff and no-nonsense than second shift. They know what they're doing and don't fuck around, but they can be kind of pricks. One guy is actually pretty laid back, but the other one is kind of high strung and berates everyone for not running enough trips (some of us are ok, but there are some drivers who take like one trip an hour, probably doing personal calls in the mean time.) He reminds me of some surly old sea captain and is kind of a buzz kill and I knew with so few drivers on the road, he'd be in particularly foul mood, but he actually ended up being fairly mellow since the few drivers we did have on the road did run a ton of trips. He still repeats himself way too much.

16. No show in an alley where the potholes look like landmines blew them out.

17. There's one other kind of charge that only happens at 10:30 at night. There's some city administrative building downtown and there's a bunch of mentally disabled seeming people that work there and the cab company takes them home every night on charges. They pack as many of them into as few as cabs as possible, usually they fit in 2 or 3. Tonight I got 2 of these people and took them home. Not very far trips. I usually don't get these trips because I'm in other parts of the city.

18. 11:23-11:30 Dispatch is pleading for someone to pick up a driver in the south side of town so we have at least one more person on the road. I jump on the high way to pick him up and drop him off at the garage.

19. 11:39-11:55 Male, 40s, white. Bar to rural suburbs a ways out. Pretty good trip.

20. Move back into town for a no show.

21. 12:26-12:43. Male, 40s, white. Kind of a fat sloppy guy. Says dispatch said his first cab came by and he didn't come out, but that dispatch was lying because he always has a camera facing out his front door. Whatever. Take him through a drive through and then drop him at a house.

22. 12:48-12:57. Male, 20s, black. Going to south rural suburb. Pretty decent trip. Asks me about driving with the company, tell him how it works.

23. 1:11-1:15. Male, 20s, black. Short trip, dude reeks of booze and weed.

24. 1:20-1:25. Male, 20s, black. Similar to the last trip, short trip, dude seemed pretty buzzed.

25. 1:31-1:36. Female and male, 30s, black. Coming home from the 24 hour grocery store. Guy is talking about someone they know, says he didn't know he was "funny like that."

26. 1:52-2:10. Female, 30s, white. Show up at a bar and a girl and her guy are arguing outside while some other group is trying to calm them down and leave. I find the girl who called a cab but she offers to let the drunk fighting couple take the cab. Much confusion. Finally, the guy from the couple walks off, the girl from the couple agrees to take the cab, and since the girl who called the cab is on the way, she gets in too. Drunk girl's friends give me $10 towards her fair. Drunk girl is talking a lot of shit, being antagonistic towards us even though we're trying to help her out by getting her home. The other girl asks to stop at a gas station to pick up cigs and drunk girl gets out of the cab and calls someone and starts giving them my license plate number or some shit like I'm trying to hold her hostage. We try to make sure she doesn't want the rest of her ride home, but she decides she'd rather be stranded, so I give the other girl her ride home.

27. 2:23-2:44. Male and female, 30s, black. Roundtrip to someone's house and back, offer to give me a flat rate, I take it. We see 2 white kids skateboarding down the middle of one of the main streets in bodysuits and helmets in the middle of the ghetto.

28. 2:47-2:56. Male and female, 40s, black. Going to the ER, they seem really out of it and sleepy, guy keeps asking the girl about his heartbeat.

Night ended a little after 3a.m. One of the best nights I've ever had, brought in just under $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Please upload photos (if possible).
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Patrick do you know (or have you heard) how driving a cab in Akron compares to a major city? Like, there are a ton more cabs in NY but a lot more demand too. Would that be an upwardly mobile move? Or like say Vegas? My dad drove a cab in Vegas for a few years before he retired. He seemed to do OK with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

taking a cab through a drive through is something i never conceived of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Patrick do you know (or have you heard) how driving a cab in Akron compares to a major city? Like, there are a ton more cabs in NY but a lot more demand too. Would that be an upwardly mobile move? Or like say Vegas? My dad drove a cab in Vegas for a few years before he retired. He seemed to do OK with it.
    I've wondered this myself, but I haven't been able to get much first hand info about it.

I'm not sure why the drive through thing is mystifying people. Public transportation in Ohio sucks, some people don't have cars and they need food/cigs/booze.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    21. 12:26-12:43. Male, 40s, white. Kind of a fat sloppy guy. Says dispatch said his first cab came by and he didn't come out, but that dispatch was lying because he always has a camera facing out his front door. Whatever. Take him through a drive through and then drop him at a house.
    What a weirdo.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Fri. 2/17/12
    6:30pm-4:00am

I forgot to record most of my times in my notebook today.

1. Female, 40s, black and her son. Grocery store to home.
    2. Male, 40s, white. Regular, going from work at some plant to home.
    3. No show at a strip club.
    4. Male, 40s, white. Picked up this guy from a bar. This girl outside said she hoped I was picking up the guy who queued up 60 songs on the jukebox (she later gave me the thumbs up to indicate I had). Guy is wasted and not sure where he wants to go. Finally decides he wants me to take him to "the nearest titty bar." The bar I picked him up from is like 5 minutes walking distance from 3 strip joints. He starts asking me how old I am, what kind of music I like, asks if I know who Aerosmith is, starts bragging about how he hung out with Steven Tyler one time or some shit. Drop him off around the corner. $3.20 fare. He tips really well (gives me like $11), but he crumbles all his dollars up and shoves them in my hand. I figure I earned that $11 dealing with him for 5 minutes.
    5. Male and female, teens/20s, white. Two kids going from Sam's Club to home, pretty decent fare, mom pays on the other end.
    6. Male, 30s/40s, white. Regular, kind of short, developmentally disabled maybe. Always goes from the same bar to his house down the road.
    7. Female, 50s, white. Friendly woman with a cane who can't get around well going to the bar two blocks down the street. Probably the shortest fare I've ever had.
    8. Female, 30s, black, some kids. Pick her up from Children's ER, security gives me a voucher, going to homeless shelter.
    9. Female, 30s, white. Pick her up from a fairly ritzy hotel downtown, going to one of the more low rent strip clubs in town.
    10. Male, 20s, black. Roundtrip to the gas station and back for cigs.
    11. No show.
    12. Female, 20s, black. Short trip, her boyfriend or whatever pays on the other end.
    13. Male and female, 30s, black, kids. Family going home from Burger King.
    14. Male and female, 20s, black. Couple going home from the movie theater.
    15. Three females, 40s, white. Take them to the local music venue downtown, they get harassed by a crackhead begging for change when they get there.
    16. Female, 40s, black. Going home from work at a nursing home.
    17. Male, 20s, black. He's only going a few blocks away but wants me to stop at the drive thru. He has waaaaaay too much cologne on. One of things about being a cab driver is you end up with some really bad smelling money at the end of the day. I complain to him about the night dispatcher who never shuts the fuck up and whines because no one takes trips fast enough. He buys like $15 worth of candy and snacks at the drive thru.
    19. Female, 20s, black. Kind of timid girl, take her to her aunt's who pays on the other end "Is it ok if I go in and get the money?"
    20. Female, 40s, black. Pretty drunk woman going home from someone else's house.
    21. Female, 30s, black, some kids. Going from one house to another, one of the kids cries a lot when he gets in and then passes out.
    22. Male, 30s, white. Drunk gay guy going from one house to another. I never realize how bad drunk people smell until I started driving a cab.
    23. Female, 20s, black, baby. Going home from her family's house I think (her sister comes out and gives me a long, convoluted tale about why I have to wait a minute when I show up). Sounds like she's sniffling/crying slightly the whole way.
    24. Male, 40s, white. Regular, guy going home from work at a restaurant downtown. I don't turn on the meter as he always pays the same amount.
    25. Female, 20s, black. Girl is on her phone the whole time gossiping, has one of those voices like a flamboyant gay man (the "hey gurrrrrl" voice). Guy she's talking to pays on the other end.
    26. Male and female, 20s, black.
    27. Male, 20s, black. Guy getting off work at McDonald's going to the hip/gay district, let him out by the CVS.
    28. Female, 20s, white. Girl going home from a bar. Said her boyfriend was supposed to pick her up but ended up ditching her/not answering his phone/whatever. Good trip, going to the other side of town, tips well.
    30. Female, 40s, black. Says it's her birthday, kind of drunk, makes a bunch of stops at different houses nearby and back to where she started, thinks she's doing me a favor by telling me to turn the meter off and telling me to pocket the rest of the money she gives me. I try to explain to her that the cab company doesn't keep track of the meter, they just collect a lease, but she doesn't get it.
    31. No show at a restaurant.
    32. No show at a gas station.
    33. Male, 30s, black. Guy is standing a little ways up the street from the address I'm giving, but he tells me the right address, so I take him. Goes to the projects on the south side of town.
    34. Two males, 20s/30s, black. Pick these two fucks up from a gas station. They're clearly fucked up out of their mind. They don't really give me a destination, just say the west side. Gives me $10 in advance. They tell me to go down some side street and then ask where I'm going and say that's fine, go the long way, they only have $10. Get on the highway and drop one off outside some house on the west side. Fare is already up to $18. The other one wants me to take him to some club a couple of miles away, but I try to get more money out of them. The other guy clearly has $20s in his pocket. I end up getting $4 more out of them. I take the guy to the club just to get rid of him. On the way he's asking me about what part of town I live in and if I have a house and what kind of music I have on my iPod and saying shit like "white boys gone wild" and some shit about doing good deeds as for why I should be taking him anywhere when he's short changing me and a whole bunch of other shit that makes me want him out of my motherfucking cab as quickly as possible. Get to the club (which should have been closed for an hour) and it's jam packed with people and cars and there's a few police cruisers sitting out there. Dude short changes me $10 for the trip, and I probably could have just walked up to the police and reported it, but I just want to be done with the night and I had made good money anyway and $10 wasn't worth the fucking effort. So I gas up and bring the cab in.
    Last edited by SoulDischarge; 02-19-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: wrong date

Some great ones today!
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Well, do you know who Aerosmith is?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    27. 2:23-2:44. Male and female, 30s, black. Roundtrip to someone's house and back, offer to give me a flat rate, I take it. We see 2 white kids skateboarding down the middle of one of the main streets in bodysuits and helmets in the middle of the ghetto.
    when they offer you a flat rate does that mean the meter is off?

Yes.

These are entertaining to read. I don't know why the roundtrips / drive through trips surprise people. When you live somewhere that doesn't have good public transit, you end up taking cabs to run errands. It had never occurred to me to take one TO a drive-thru, though my friend has made a cab driver stop at a drive-through when we were already on our way home.

What recourse do you have when someone refuses to pay for a trip or shorts you? I've always wondered about that.

What is considered a good tip?

Tell the dispatcher and they can be refused cabs at the addresses they were picked up/dropped off at. It doesn't work as well when you don't pick them up at a residence. We can call the police on them, but it's usually not worth it, especially for small amounts, because then you have to waste time. I've only had one outright beat out so far, and the bitch was so crazy it was worth the $6 or whatever just to have her out of my cab. We do have the right to ask for cash upfront, but I typically don't do it unless it's an out of town trip. Some people are used to paying up front and just do it automatically to make me feel more at ease, especially people from the hood. Handing your cabbie cash up front will definitely endear you to them. Hopefully they're not crooks and will give you change though.

As far as tips, I still don't really know. If you expect me to hand you back change (as in coins), you're fucking petty. For me, the higher the meter rate, the less I care about the tip. A good trip is a good trip and if you're already giving me $20+, I wouldn't be upset without a tip. On the other hand, if I go out my way to get you and it's a $4 trip, and especially if you take forfuckingever getting in and out of the cab, then I'd probably begrudge you if you didn't throw in an extra dollar or two. So I'd say a dollar or two is standard, three to five is a pretty good tip, and anything above that is really generous.

Sat 2/18/12
    8:00pm-4:00am

Saturdays are awesome because the lease is much cheaper and Saturday nights are always busy with bar people, who often go pretty good distances and tip insanely generously. Although it doesn't really pick up until after 11pm.

1. 8:03-8:10. Male, 40s, black. Take another driver home from the garage. The first couple of times I picked up a driver, I ran the meter. Then I got a ride home one time and the driver didn't run the meter on me. I never run the meter on other drivers now. They know what to pay you. Anyway, this guy and I talked about whey protein powders and eating healthy and shit like that.
    2. 8:21-8:44. Male and female, 20s, black. Didn't think I'd get anyone out of here since this address is reliable for no shows and last minute cancellations, but they came out thankfully. Went to Chipotle and back. Over half the fare was waiting time.
    3. 8:52-9:28. Male, 30s?, black. Pulled up to what looked like a crack house. Pretty disheveled. Lots of mangy people walking into the place and walking out of the place and down the street. Some guy with like half his teeth comes out to let me know that whoever I came to pick up will be out in a minute. The guy is clearly not a crackhead, but maybe a dealer or something. Pretty friendly guy. Black guys from the hood always call me "fam." Round trip from the northside to one of the southwest suburbs and back, so a really good trip. Gives me $20 in advance. Talks on the phone most of the way there, having a fight with his girlfriend. Apparently, some girl out of his past showed up at his place and for whatever reason ended up calling the cops on him, so his girl thought he was cheating on her. He tries to reason with her, although they're both screaming at each other. He tells her to be logical and consider that because his "bag of rubbers" is at her house, he would have to have "raw dogged" the other girl, and then go to the hospital to get checked up, so therefore he couldn't have been cheating, so why didn't she just use her head? Trips ends up being a little over $40, says he lost his bank card, ends up having to pay the other $20 in quarter rolls, but like he said, it all spends the same, and I'm just happy to have such a good trip early in the shift.
    4. 10:29-10:57. Male and female, 20s, black. I pulled up to this house and no one came out, so I sat around in the area waiting for another call since it was slow. Eventually they called back and I ended up catching the trip. Pretty short trip, but it ends up being a pretty decent fare because they want to stop to get fast food and McD's felt like taking their damn sweet time getting their food out.
    5. Lost call at a regular house. Someone was outside and went in as I was pulling up too so it's not like they didn't know I was there. I don't get people.
    6. 11:14-11:22. Female, 20s, white. Pick up a girl from the laundromat, but she's standing outside and doesn't have any laundry. She says she's glad I pulled up then because some guy was coming to pick her up that was going to start drama. Ten seconds later he does show up, but I take off, and he speeds off in front of me, clearly pissed off. She asks me how much it would cost to go from one of the suburbs to where I was taking her so she can lie to her boyfriend, who was paying for the trip on the other end, and get a little extra cash out of it (but in the end he just pays what the meter ran me). When we get to the apt. complex she lives at, the guy is waiting for her. Her boyfriend comes out to pay me and the other guy gets out of the car and starts a screaming match with the girl. "Come here hooker!" The boyfriend just kind of stands by looking dumb. I take my cash and leave.
    7. 11:32-11:48. Female, 40s, white. Really good trip, going from the northeast side of town clear across to the west side, and she gives me a fairly generous tip too. Sniffled most of the way there. I'm never sure if these people have been crying or are just congested.
    8. 11:59-12:08. Male, 30s, black, kids. Some guy and his kids going from a house to an apt. complex. The kids talk a lot and one keeps kicking my backseat. One of them forgets his racecar in the cab. I turn it into dispatch at the end of the night.
    9. Get a trip at a bar in this little island of obnoxious fratty type bars in what's know as the Valley. Show up and the guy says he's ready but his friends aren't so nevermind.
    10. 12:27-12:40. Male, 20s, white. Hit up a gas station and get a trip at the same bar I just left from. Show up and call the number I was given, apparently the guy didn't know someone had called a cab for him as he was just standing outside right near me until I called him. Pretty friendly guy, talk about the taxi business, says everyone he's talked to says they like doing it. Drop him at the gas station by his house so he can grab beer for his girl. Generous tip.
    11. 12:49-12:54. Two males, 40s, white. Two very drunk gay guys (although one is clearly far drunker and falls down trying to get in my cab) going from their hotel to a gay bar.
    12. Show up to the house and they call in to cancel instead of walking out and telling me directly.
    13. Get a trip at the nearby hospital, halfway there the guy calls back, realized he's at a different hospital.
    14. Get a call for one of the big douchey bars downtown with a phone number. I'm only 3 minutes away, so there's not really any time for anyone to snipe the trip (as often happens downtown on a Saturday night), but no one comes out to my cab and the girl doesn't answer her phone. Who the calls a cab company, gives their phone number to the company, and then doesn't pay attention to their phone? (Answer: way more people than makes me comfortable being part of the same gene pool as.)
    15. Female, black, 20s. ER to apt. complex.
    16. Male, 20s, white. Strip club to a big house in the wealthy district (which incidentally has terrible, torn up streets). Pretty good tip. Saturday nights are good.
    17. No show at the hipster bar I go to some time. I hate getting out of my cab and screaming over a bunch of drunks trying to find my passenger. Someone asks me how much it'd cost to go to Pennsylvania.
    18. Male and female, 30s/40s, white. Going from a bar to a small rural town about ten minutes southwest of the city. Good trip. They tell me it's off this one route. I get on the highway and then get off the route they said it was near. The guy asks me if I have a GPS and kind of passive aggressively tells me I'm going the wrong way. I cut through one of those turn outs in the middle of the highway that only the cops are supposed to use and get back on the highway and go the way they forgot to tell me they wanted to go in the first place. I give them a price $5 under what the meter reads for going out of the way, but they end up paying $4 more than the meter.
    19. 2:46-2:58. Female, 40s, white. She's drunk and high, coming home from someone's birthday party, friendly and talkative. Asks about how many dancers I've had that night, says she's a stripper too. Says she'd like to drive a cab but has terrible sense of direction. Pretty much a drunken mess but nice about it. Pretty good tip.
    20. 3:05-3:11. Female, 40s, white. Going from the psychiatric emergency hospital to one of the regular hospitals, paid for with a voucher. After I drop her off, I hear a call for her to be picked up where I had dropped her with a battered woman's shelter charge. I don't know why they didn't just have me take her there directly, probably sent her to the wrong place accidentally. (It's not because I'm a male because I've ran BWS charges before).
    21. 3:21-3:32. Female, teens, black. Pick up this teenage girl, have to pick up her mom at another address. Her mom's pissed off that they have to go home at this hour, apparently they were both staying the night at different places but the girl wanted to go home, I think because she didn't have a wrap for her hair or something and didn't want to sleep on it and get it fucked up. When she's paying me, the mom gives me the exasperated sigh "Teenagers."

Got a pizza and turned in the cab. Another really profitable night.

He tells her to be logical and consider that because his "bag of rubbers" is at her house, he would have to have "raw dogged" the other girl, and then go to the hospital to get checked up, so therefore he couldn't have been cheating, so why didn't she just use her head?
    Someone asks me how much it'd cost to go to Pennsylvania.
    oh man, ahahahahahahahahahahahha

Patrick this is starting to feel like a New Yorker story or something. I think you can take this places. Think about it.
    Last edited by TomAz; 02-19-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Rolls of quaters?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Best thread on this message board. Keep them coming. Your perpective and outlook make these a fascinating read.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    oh man, ahahahahahahahahahahahha

Patrick this is starting to feel like a New Yorker story or something. I think you can take this places. Think about it.
    Yeah, Hoenstly, if you could keep this up for a full year+, I'd buy a book of this. it's incredibly entertaining.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Rolls of quaters?
    He is probably talking about these things:

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Tues. 2/21/12
    3:30pm-1:00am.

1. 3:40-4:11 Female, 20s, white, baby. First call is a double up of TMS charges going from one of the hospitals to home (since these are flat rate charges, dispatchers will often load multiple people up in one cab if they're going from the same place to a similar area). At first the wrong woman gets in, so I have to kick her out of the cab and tell her the one for her is on its way (it shows up before I take off, which is a relief, as I always feel kind of dickish telling someone I didn't come for them). The first person I picked up is a white girl with cornrows and her baby, and she takes 5 minutes to get her child's seat strapped in. Starts talking about how she'd been there all day for an ultrasound. Says it took longer because they had some concerns about her cervix being too small but she's just a small person in general so it's no big deal.
    2. 3:49-4:00. White female & black male, 50s. Pick up this couple from another part of the hospital, they have to squeeze in to fit with the girl and her baby in there. They chat pleasantly with Queen Cornrow and she tells them about her cervix as well, along with other inane shit about their families and lives. I drop the couple off first then cervix girl second.
    3. Get a trip at a different hospital in the suburb to the immediate north. Show up and a little old lady with a walker gets in. Figure out who she is, inform the dispatcher, have to kick her out and try to find the person I was sent for. They didn't specify which entrance they'd be at, so I try everyone I can find and don't find them, so dispatch gives me another trip.
    4. 4:36-4:48. Female, 20s, black. North side to west side, mother pays on the other end.
    5. 4:53-5:01. Two females, 20s, black. Going to the nail salon.
    6. 5:16-5:31. Female, 40s, black. Roundtrip to the liquor store. Lady tells me she's having a quiet celebration at home for passing an exam in some course she hated. Says she's going to school to be a nursing administrator, but had to take some class about "bushmen" and absolutely hated it.
    7. 5:40-5:50. Male, 50s, white. Pretty disheveled looking dude in a sweatshirt and shorts, can't get around too well. Vague smell of bodily functions. Says he was washing clothes and his washer broke, despite being bought brand new only 5 years ago, explaining why he was underdressed. Goes to the drive thru to get vodka and back home.
    8. 6:01-6:09. Female, 40s, black. Short trip.
    9. Go out of my way for a grocery store trip since there's nothing open near me. The guy calls dispatch literally one minute before I get there to check and see how much longer until I get there, but when I show up, there's no one at all waiting for a cab (unless it was the young black guy standing outside who looked like he was begging for change). I don't fucking understand these people. An hour later, he calls back.
    10. Go even further out of my way for another no show at an apartment building.

I take a break and buy a prepackaged salad kit and iced tea at the grocery store so I don't end up eating a ton of fast food. Nothing's open near me so I just sit and eat my salad for a long time before heading back in towards where some trips are. You never know when and where trips are going to pop up, so some times you end up trying to wait it out and hoping something pops up near you and sometimes you have to just keep moving and go out of your way in order to make money. Sitting still is the cab driver's worst enemy. It's a real bitch when you take something farther away from you and then a minute or two later something right near you opens up, but it happens all the time and you just deal with it.

11. 7:31-7:35. Female, 20s, black. Short trip, mom pays on the other end.
    12. No show.
    13. 8:11-8:23. Female, 20s, black. The dispatcher gives me a trip on a street that doesn't exist in the city, turns out the first letter was wrong (V instead of B), which I figure out by browsing my GPS map. Get there and it's a housing complex and each address has different apt./condo/whatever numbers, which of course I don't have, so I drive around the building honking until I finally get someone. Decent trip.
    14. 8:33-8:53. Female, 30s, female 50s, two kids and a baby, black. This was the no show for number 13, except the last two digits of the address were reversed. I'm not sure if the dispatcher gave it out wrong or if the passenger did. We're not supposed to have more than four people in a cab or else we won't be insured if there's an accident, and the baby makes it five. But I let it slide and drive carefully. Ends up being my only trip over $20. Going from the west side to a hotel on the far south side.

At this point I'm feeling kind of ill and tired to the point where I'm almost nodding off at the wheel, so I decide to take a nap in the cab, one of the many luxuries of being an independent contractor. So I pull into a Walmart parking lot and doze on and off (slightly interrupted by the dispatch radio) for about 40 minutes. Then I get some Mt. Dew (trying to avoid coffee at the moment because of the anxiety attacks I've been having lately) and get back on the road, relatively refreshed and ready to finish out the night.

15. 10:02-10:12. Male, 30s/40s, black. Going from the south side to just west of downtown, wants me to just drop him off on the corner. At one point I sneeze just as it starts sprinkling and dude makes a joke about my sneeze looking like it went all over the windshield.
    16. No show at a hospital. Kind of slow, so I end up waiting awhile for my next trip.
    17. 10:54-10:59. Female, 20s, black. Girl going to the hospital because of some headaches and stomachaches. Missed her first cab.
    18. 11:10-11:17. Female, 20s, black. Cheerful girl going home from work at a women's shelter downtown.
    19. 11:24-11:44. Male, 30s, black. Guy going to his girl's house for a low key night. We talk about how stupid it is the city wasted a ton of money building a fence on the bridge notorious for suicides. Stops at a gas station that refuses to break $20s (the fuck?), so has to borrow $2 from me, which I just add to his fare.
    20. No show. The same house canceled on me after I pulled up on Saturday too. Fuckers oughta be blacklisted.
    21. 11:55-12:05. Male, 40s, black. Show up and honk my horn and a guy comes staggering out. I've picked up here before and remembered the guy was blind so I get out and say hey. He said I was supposed to get out and ring his doorbell, but dispatch neglected to relay any of that too me. He wants me to run to the nearby drive thru to pick up cigs and snacks while he stays at home, which I do. The change from the $20 he gives me to buy his stuff ends up being just about the same amount as the fare, so it works out well.

Still tired and ready to call it a night, but decide to try to stay on until 1am but there's not much happening on the side of town I'm on.

22. Forget the time on this one. Female, 20s/30s, white. Stripper going home from work, says it's a slow night for her too.
    23. Trip cancels while I'm en route to picking them up, didn't even really want to stay out any more anyway, so I bring the cab in.

Kind of a stupid day with all the no shows and pretty much always being on the opposite side of town from where the trips were most of the day, but those days are inevitable. I still made decent enough money for a pretty quick and easy day, or at least not enough that I came home feeling resentful of my time being wasted.

21. 11:55-12:05. Male, 40s, black. Show up and honk my horn and a guy comes staggering out. I've picked up here before and remembered the guy was blind so I get out and say hey. He said I was supposed to get out and ring his doorbell, but dispatch neglected to relay any of that too me. He wants me to run to the nearby drive thru to pick up cigs and snacks while he stays at home, which I do. The change from the $20 he gives me to buy his stuff ends up being just about the same amount as the fare, so it works out well.
    I like this one.

Great thread, please keep it up. I don't know if you should put these all in a huge book verbatim or take the stories over a long period of time and weave some kind of narrative. I'm sure there are just so many ideas for possible (fictional) stories. So cool.

Do you feel self-conscious blowing your horn as a means of announcing your arrival? Is it routine or do you only do it in certain circumstances or locations?

You can't really allow yourself feel self conscious about it unless you don't want to make any money. We don't get most people's phone number, so it's pretty much the only way to let them know we're there. I've never had a complaint about it. It's understood that's just what cabs do. When I show up I usually give one really loud long honk or honk two or three times in a row. If they don't come out after about 3 minutes I give a long honk again. I give them one last one before taking off after 5 minutes.

I imagine there are a few neighborhoods in Akron where you wouldn't want to get out of the car at night when you don't have to.

I never get out of the car for a private residence. Fuck that shit. I prefer not to get out of the cab at all when picking up a customer. The goal is to keep fucking moving. But I will at a business/bar/restaurant/hospital if no one comes out.

What do you consider a good tip, 20%?

Cervix girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    What do you consider a good tip, 20%?
    This has already been covered.

Patrick, can I just say that I'm relieved that nothing has happened that would jeopardize the fact that you're a much better person when you have a job you enjoy, than when you're wallowing in self-pity and hatred? I mean, most people try to forget their workday, or hate it so much that all they can do is bitch, bitch, bitch, making it worse. You, on the other hand, are able to remember each fare and overlook or write off any of the negatives as just part of the job, and then share it with us in a positive way. Seriously, kudos to you for giving it a shot because it's working for you.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Though I must confess that I'd love to come to this thread one day and see a post on how one of your fares had her water break right there in your cab, and how you had to immediately pull over to the side of the street to assist her in birthing her child as the meter kept ticking... Priceless!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.