Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have dum friends

Default I have dum friends

None of my friends care about Coachella, or they act like they do and then say they can't afford it.

I first went in 07 with some people I knew in college and it was a life-changing experience. I am cursed with the need to share things I love with others, so I took my family to Friday in 09 to see Paul McCartney. Ever since then I have tried to convince friends to go, to no avail. Too expensive, don't know enough bands, etc. The lack of single day tickets has really hindered my attempts.

This year I purchased 4 tickets and a car camping pass for Weekend 1 in the presale, due to last year's quick sellout. If I have to sell the tickets it will be the saddest money I have ever made. I am resolved to succeed. I have been doing daily Coachella posts on Facebook with videos of artists on the lineup. I've received a few wishy washy responses, a couple that appear just interested in buying a ticket(s) off me, and at least one interested party that I would never consider taking.

So yeah, I have shitty friends. Any suggestions on how I can best seal the deal short of discounting tickets/kidnapping people?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: I have dum friends

What the fuck is wrong with you
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

This is where having a girlfriend is convenient. I just tell her what shows or festivals we're going to and when. I'm willing to pay the extra cost to not have to deal with planning / talking friends into going.

Thread title irony.

Just sell the tickets, you buffoon. What advice could we give here? Should we create companions for you?
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I mean, if you can't find friends who will literally TAKE a Coachella pass from you that you offer then, well, what exactly IS wrong with you?

I am not offering the tickets for free. I would like to receive back what I paid for them. I made this clear in the original post when I said "short of discounting tickets".

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Thread title irony.
    i lol'd
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I am not offering the tickets for free. I would like to receive back what I paid for them. I made this clear in the original post when I said "short of discounting tickets".
    The sentence, "If I have to sell the tickets it will be the saddest money I have ever made", led me to believe you bought four passes in order to allocate them to three other friends for no charge.

So you bought four passes out of hope that three other friends would buy them off of you, despite the fact that your friends admittedly suck? You should take a different approach next year.

I still don't get what this dope is asking. He appears to be completely overwhelmed by the process of selling his tickets, to a sold out festival, not at a discount.

Not simply trying to "sell my tickets" dood. I could do that easily. Do you not understand the distinction between selling off tickets and trying to talk friends into going?

Stop hanging out with shitty people. In all honesty though, them not wanting to go this year is justified due to the lineup. You could give me a ticket for free and I wouldn't go because of the time it takes to go that I could spend going to another far better festival.

I bought a friend of mine a pass for her first Coachella since she was also pretty wishy-washy on the whole "I can't afford it" and "I don't know enough bands" thing. She' does hair, so I told her to do my hair a few times to make up what she couldn't pay me back in cash so it worked out OK for both of us. Now that she's been, she goes with me every year and has tried to do the same with other friends who give her the same story.

Coachella isn't for everyone.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Not simply trying to "sell my tickets" dood. I could do that easily. Do you not understand the distinction between selling off tickets and trying to talk friends into going?
    I do, but you said, "If I have to sell the tickets it will be the saddest money I have ever made."

Not, "If I have to sell the tickets to people who are not my friends it will be the saddest money I have ever made."

If you have friends you are trying to SELL passes to, then I understand why they are hesitant. It's a fucking expensive trip and your friends probably aren't hooked on it like you are.

So, to clarify, you started this thread to ask for advice on how to talk your friends, who you prepurchased tickets for, into going to Coachella?

I'm conflicted because I want a ticket but I don't want to be your friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy restaurant View Post
    Although, I did attend more Slipknot concerts than any person ever really should. I remember once I told their lead singer "This is my 12th Slipknot show!" and he was just like, "Dude. Why?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cperkins9027 View Post
    Bring Aoki back next year and let him bring his friends. Open your minds and appreciate what he can do.

Haha, some insightful and also funny responses thus far. Look I know what I got myself into when I bought these tickets. There's no time anymore to round people up who aren't already hooked. I'm just half-venting/half-seeing how others got friends to go.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarOwl View Post
    Sounds like you have a choice to make.

Lurker

How much for a ticket?

I got my friends to go by not being a Coward.

that was way harsh tai
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

You should sell the three other tickets for face value and go by yourself. You will make friends there and have way more fun than bringing someone who is't totally sold.

I have a couple of friends who DESPERATLEY want to go but were'nt able to get tix on the day they went on sale that Friday. If you would be so kind as to sell these to us we will adopt you into our group and be your gauranteed Coachella friends for LIFE! We have been attending since 1999 and don't plan on ever missing a Coachella EVER.
    Last edited by blackchango; 02-10-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I mean, if you can't find friends who will literally TAKE a Coachella pass from you that you offer then, well, what exactly IS wrong with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    So, to clarify, you started this thread to ask for advice on how to talk your friends, who you prepurchased tickets for, into going to Coachella?

Oh hey, check it out, regular Coachella board members being complete dicks for no reason.
    And I'm reading them on the internet!

Oh you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Oh hey, check it out, regular Coachella board members being complete dicks for no reason.
    And I'm reading them on the internet!

Oh you guys!
    Glad I could help you waste 60 seconds of your life.

If you a sell a ticket to me, I will be your friend.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by blackchango View Post
    I have a couple of friends who DESPERATLEY want to go but were'nt able to get tix on the day they went on sale that Friday. If you would be so kind as to sell these to us we will adopt you into our group and be your gauranteed Coachella friends for LIFE! We have been attending since 1999 and don't plan on ever missing a Coachella EVER.
    Fuck this guy he's a tool and so are his friends, my friends and I will adopt your lonely ass if you sell a couple of my friends passes that they desperately need and will enjoy more than anyone else. We have plenty of booze, chemicals, games, and normally a handful of single girls or guys depending on your preference. (Sorry blackchango, I really don't think you're a tool and I don't even have any way of knowing about your friends I just want those tickets for my friends).
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

OP is either dum or a troll....

My first Coachella was 2005. Nobody wanted to go except my roommate, but only for the first night when Coldplay played. I drove with her that Saturday & enjoyed my first day at Coachella, but wasn't completely blown away because I had to split time seeing bands my roommate wanted to see. She wasn't a big fan of the experience. We drove back to L.A. that night, I drove back to Coachella the next morning solo & had one of the best days I've ever had at the festival in the 5 years I've gone since.

Each year after that I would always try to get a close group of friends to go with me, but they all had the excuse of money & not enjoying the rigors of multi-day music festivals anymore. For a couple of years I crashed with friends of friends in hotels & pretty much enjoyed the festival by myself or with people I met up with along the way. I never had a bad time and in 2008 finally convinced my best friends from back home to fly out for Roger Waters & Prince. We camped, met some really cool people & had possibly the best weekend I've ever had at Coachella.

Since then my friends have been more gung-ho about going to Coachella than me and they're not even into music as much as I am. The 2010 clusterfuck plus the underwhelming line-up forced us skip last year (a decision we regretted when the weekend passed by). While this years line-up still lacks some of the greatness from pre-2010 chellas, for me it's still an improvement over last years. Perhaps that's just because there are many bands I've never seen this year that i've always wanted to (Pulp, Mazzy Star, Jeff Mangum, etc..). Also, Dre * Snoop > Kanye.... Either way, Coachella is always an amazing get away and one the most fun weekends you'll ever have whether you have to roll their solo or with some people that are going to enjoy themselves as much as you.