Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 MLB Thread

Default Re: The 2012 MLB Thread

Mike Trout is the best player in baseball.

Please. Though there's a good argument that he's been the best player from May through August 2012, and an excellent argument that he may be the AL MVP.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Please. Though there's a good argument that he's been the best player from May through August 2012, and an excellent argument that he may be the AL MVP.
    If the Angels make the playoffs he will probably win MVP. He's batting .345, 24 HRs, 72 RBI, and 40 stolen bases and he didn't even play in some games in the beginning of the season. Right now he is the best player in baseball. If he puts up numbers like this for a whole career he might even be the best player of all time. And just look at the plays he's made in center field this year, he's unbelievable.

Kevin Bass. Mike Carp. Tim Salmon.

Steve Trout. Jeff Trout.

Sid Bream.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Mike Trout is the best player in baseball.
    I agree that he is the best all around player in baseball, and like you mentioned, he missed most of April. It's just too bad the pitching staff around him has been complete garbage since the all star break. If they don't make the playoffs, it certainly isn't his fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Gotta see what happens here...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...7821--mlb.html

The Los Angeles Dodgers were awarded a waiver claim on Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, according to the Los Angeles Times, and ESPN.com reported that there's a inreasing liklihood that the slugger could be dealt.

Waivers are revocable after the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline and the Red Sox could opt to pull Gonzalez back, cancelling the possibility of a trade.

If the Red Sox don't revoke the waiver transaction, the Dodgers have a window of two business days to negotiate a trade. It's possible, however unlikely, that Boston could allow the Dodgers to claim Gonzalez outright and assume the remainder of his current contract.

He's owed more than $127 million over the next six seasons under the terms of the seven-year, $154 million deal he signed in April 2011.

Dealing their star would be a suprising shift for Boston, who acquired Gonzalez in December 2010. A unnamed Red Sox official told ESPN.com that team has no problems with Gonzalez, but is looking at all ways to improve. The teams discussed a deal at the July 31 trade deadline, but they didn't get far.

"I think something is happening, but I'm in a state of disbelief that it is," a baseball source told ESPN.com.

Gonzalez, 30, entered Friday with a .300 batting average. The four-time All-Star has 15 home runs and 86 RBIs.

The Dodgers also claimed Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee and more than $100 million remaining on his contract, but he remains in Philadelphia.

Los Angeles, under new ownership, has been active in building its roster on the fly. The Dodgers acquired two former All-Stars -- left fielder Shane Victorino and shortstop Hanley Ramirez -- before the trade deadline..
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

Call me crazy, but in baseball, as in life, I tend to give things a sample size of more than, say, four months before I determine that they are "the best."

Dodgers reportedly closing in on a deal to obtain Gonzalez, Crawford, Beckett and Punto from the Red Sox. Not confirmed yet, but supposedly close...

wow.

Magic Johnson et al are fucking crazy. That would be great for the Red Sox. Even if they get nothing, zero, anonymous players to be named later, whatever, they get something that will be far more valuable to their front office: a chance to start over again and the cash to do whatever they want with it.

How do they get to trade Crawford though? This would be the world's first trade for a guy who had Tommy John surgery the day before.

Yeah I'd miss Gonzalez though, especially considering that his contract is a bargain in comparison to the other free agent 1B contracts of the last few years. This deal would result in like $260 million off the books for the Red Sox if it actually goes through...

EDIT* Mitch beat me to it.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 08-24-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

If he puts up numbers like this for a whole career he might even be the best player of all time.
    I hope this was tongue in cheek.

This would be a move that greatly would benefit both teams. However Crawford wont be of any help the remainder of this season and who knows how he will play next year. Beckett hasn't won more then 12 games since he won his Cy Young so hes not that exciting anymore besides his name. I mean he is 5 and 11 with an ERA over 5 so far this season. Punto is only a mediocre player that has some big hits in his Career, which might be all the dodgers need from him. And yes Adrian would be the best part of this deal for them and the sole reason why it's ok for them to take on all this salary that's about 270 million. Funny if the dodgers weren't just swept this wouldn't be possible for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Beckett never won the Cy Young.

I guess I possibly got to witness the end of the exciting Gonzalez era in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Beckett never won the Cy Young.
    O I could have sworn he did his last season on Florida, his best season so far. Either way since he's been a red sux he has barely been a decent no 2 pitcher let alone the Ace pitcher he signed for.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    O I could have sworn he did his last season on Florida, his best season so far. Either way since he's been a red sux he has barely been a decent no 2 pitcher let alone the Ace pitcher he signed for.
    .....who are you thinking of? His best seasons have come in Boston, and he was the ace on their 2007 World Championship team. A year in which he finished 2nd in the AL Cy Young voting.

Watch Boston blow all that money on Hamilton next year
    They check your age at a rave? That means its not a rave.

Call me crazy, but in baseball, as in life, I tend to give things a sample size of more than, say, four months before I determine that they are "the best."
    As do I. The second time I posted I said that Trout is the best player in baseball RIGHT NOW. I didn't make that clear the first time I posted. But still, with the kind of numbers he is putting up in what is sort of his rookie season I would say he is on his way to becoming the best player in baseball.

This whole Red Sox Dodgers trade greatly benefits the Sox. They'll be unloading some horrible contracts, including Crawford's (what a bust he is). Once Gonzalez becomes a Dodger he'll start playing very mediocre too. Look at the big name guys the Dodgers have signed in the past and look at how they've ended up. Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez, Kevin Brown, etc. So if this trade goes through I give it two years before Gonzalez is a .230 hitter, Beckett sucks ass, and Crawford is wasting all of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by kronz420 View Post
    Watch Boston blow all that money on Hamilton next year
    This is most definitely their plan. Which I am totally fine with.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    .....who are you thinking of? His best seasons have come in Boston, and he was the ace on their 2007 World Championship team. A year in which he finished 2nd in the AL Cy Young voting.
    So I'm 0 for 2 then, But either way since that season he hasn't been nearly as great and the stats I've said before still hold true, even if my years are wrong.

Once Gonzalez becomes a Dodger he'll start playing very mediocre too. Look at the big name guys the Dodgers have signed in the past and look at how they've ended up. Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez, Kevin Brown, etc. So if this trade goes through I give it two years before Gonzalez is a .230 hitter, Beckett sucks ass, and Crawford is wasting all of their money.
    The guys you mentioned were at the tail ends of their careers. Gonzalez is still 30, so I think he has more years of production than did the others. Plus, he's used to playing in a ballpark that's not "hitter friendly," from his days in San Diego. I think he's the one that Dodgers fans should be most comfortable with. If Crawford can stay healthy, I think he can re-gain most of his Tampa Bay form. Beckett does suck ass now, though. This is definitely a win-now trade for the Dodgers, what with taking on that much money.

I am most excited about the thought of never having to watch James Loney again.

PS Hanley just went yard
    They check your age at a rave? That means its not a rave.

Guys there's no way they're getting out from under these contracts just so they can turn around and sign Josh Hamilton -- injuries and personal history included -- to a nine figure contract for his age 32 to 39 seasons.

Guys there's no way they're getting out from under these contracts just so they can turn around and sign Josh Hamilton -- injuries and personal history included -- to a nine figure contract for his age 32 to 39 seasons.
    yeah, I wasn't quite following that logic either.

Anyway, deal is done. Red Sox send Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, Nick Punto and $12 million to LA for Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, James Loney, Ivan Dejesus and Jerry Sands.

I feel like the Red Sox just got away with murder. Not only did they rid their books of about $260 million but they also got two top pitching prospects in return. Ben Cherington, I applaud thee.

Their biggest challenge this offseason will be replacing the production that Adrian provided them with, and that won't be easy.

Well done, Boston.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I just want to know where Crawford will play unless this is the end for Ethier.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    yeah, I wasn't quite following that logic either.

Anyway, deal is done. Red Sox send Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, Nick Punto and $12 million to LA for Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster, James Loney, Ivan Dejesus and Jerry Sands.

I feel like the Red Sox just got away with murder. Not only did they rid their books of about $260 million but they also got two top pitching prospects in return. Ben Cherington, I applaud thee.

Their biggest challenge this offseason will be replacing the production that Adrian provided them with, and that won't be easy.
    Damn, great trade for the Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I just want to know where Crawford will play unless this is the end for Ethier.
    The Dodgers starting outfield in 2013 will be Crawford - Kemp - Ethier. I can see Crawford doing very well in LA as long as he stays healthy.