Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 MLB Thread

Default Re: The 2012 MLB Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I used to hate baseball and now it's one of my favorite sports. Never really played it either.

Greatest team sport ever. Period! I have high hopes for the Dbacks as well. Playoff games @ Chase.....?

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    The Boston Red Sox will be off the national radar screen this year
    No, they will continue to be the second-most written about and analyzed team in the sport. As you point out, they have all the pieces to be good. And if they're horrible, it's an even better story. There's no such thing as an under the radar season for the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, or Mets.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

though the Mets seem to be trying for exactly that.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

True. The best Mets story of last year was the revelation that they still own Bobby Bonilla $30 million in deferred payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I used to hate baseball and now it's one of my favorite sports. Never really played it either.
    I am the exact opposite. I grew up playing baseball from age 5 to 17. I played on travelling AAU and American Legion teams instead of high school. Could have played in college if I wasn't a moron about my school work. Used to LOVE the sport. The last 10 years or so have killed a lot of my love for the sport. Now, if it's not about the Indians, I really don't care.

I will stay interested until the Indians are out of it, which will probably be sometime in mid June.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 02-09-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    What does it matter, San Diego will get antsy and trade it for run-of-the-mill talent anyways.
    Not until they become unaffordable, the thing is that now that we have all this talent loaded in the minors which quite a few of those guys will be major league ready next year it will allow the Padres to trade some guys off the major league roster to continue to reload the system. I really expect Chase Headley and Richard or Stauffer to be traded after this season to make room for Gyorko, Erlin, Wieland, and Kelly. Plus, if we do not contend this year we can move Carlos Quentin (look what Beltran got the Mets at the deadline), Volquez, and Street. Point is while the Padres improved in the offseason and won't be quite as bad as last season 2013 onwards the Padres should be able to contend.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Curt Schilling just admitted that every player he beaned in his career was 100% intentional. I know it's the minority opinion, but Curt Schilling is the man.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Or, he "admits" it now because he wants you to think he's the man without having anybody to be accountable to for it.

Every pitch intentional, every sock bloody, every story true.

Curt Schilling wouldn't lie to me.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

If you read this story about Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall's dealings with prostate cancer this past year and don't subsequently root for the snakes you are officially null and void as a human being. Sorry. Just the facts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu..._cancer_013012

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    There's no such thing as an under the radar season for the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, or Mets.
    The Sox have always enjoyed regional popularity but, for most of my baseball-watching lifetime,they have not been the national powerhouses like the Yankees and Dodgers. This whole Red Sox Nation thing has blossomed over the last 10-15 years. And the Werner-Lucchino-Henry ownership is largely responsible, for better or worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post
    If you read this story about Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall's dealings with prostate cancer this past year and don't subsequently root for the snakes you are officially null and void as a human being. Sorry. Just the facts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu..._cancer_013012
    Hell of an article. This part really got me.
    He pulled out a notepad and started listing everything he would miss by dying young.

Im not going to walk Kylie down the aisle
    Im not going to see what Hayden becomes
    Im not going to see Logan play college tennis
    I wont grow old with Amy
    I wont see the Diamondbacks win a World Series
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Shouldn't the brothers Powell be Pirates fans?

omgjk <3

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

I still pull for the Pirates...but I grew up going to Diamondback games.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Heard talk of bonds maybe swinging a bat for a team... Crazy talk but A's are talking to him since he just got approval by court to carry and use a bat...

I encountered Curt Schilling when he played for the D-Backs during spring training. My friend and I took his son to meet some of the players at some meet and greet (or something of that nature, it was a decade ago). Other friends of mine have met him as well. The consensus is that he is one of the biggest pieces of shit we have ever come across.

Wheels Of Cheese

I find it weird that he makes video games for a living now.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Along the Yankees paying the majority of Burnett's contract, I think they should be the one to send a thank you note, and possibly a Jeter gift basket.

ESPN

The New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Pirates have a framework in place for a possible A.J. Burnett deal and are working through conditions in that framework, baseball sources said Sunday.

The Yankees have been engaged in talks with four teams but the Pirates have emerged as the front-runner, sources said.

One of the clubs was among teams Burnett can veto per his contract, a source said, and the right-hander was unwilling to give in on that team. It was uncertain what teams were in the bidding for Burnett beyond Pittsburgh.

The Pirates and Yankees began their discussions with lots of common ground because New York wants to move Burnett, who is owed $33 million for the next two seasons, and Pittsburgh has been looking for a veteran starter who can provide innings.

As a Yankee, Burnett is 34-35 with a 4.79 ERA.

The two teams haven't agreed on the dollar figure the Yankees will eat to facilitate the trade, and they haven't agreed on the players that the Pirates will send to the Yankees.

But they have found enough common ground that Pittsburgh is now the clear front-runner.

A source familiar with the negotiations had told ESPNNewYork's Wallace Matthews on Saturday that the talks had "legs" and were "real."

But Pirates right fielder Garrett Jones, a left-handed bat whom the Yankees coveted, had been taken off the table, according to the source.

With the serious trade talks going on the Yankees have paused their pursuit of a designated hitter in the free agent market.

They are doing so, a baseball official said, because they want to see if they receive someone who could DH in a possible deal for Burnett.

If the Yankees don't receive a DH-type in a deal for Burnett or don't trade Burnett at all, then they are likely to sign one of either Raul Ibanez, Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui or another free agent DH still on the market.

The Yankees are willing to deal Burnett because they don't have a place in their rotation for him. They acquired Michael Pineda and Hiroki Kuroda, leaving Phil Hughes, Freddy Garcia and Burnett to fight it out for the fifth spot.

Even with top prospect Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances needing more seasoning in the minors , the Yankees think they have organization depth with Adam Warren, David Phelps and D.J. Mitchell. All three could be ready if the Yankees need to call up a spot starter due to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I encountered Curt Schilling when he played for the D-Backs during spring training. My friend and I took his son to meet some of the players at some meet and greet (or something of that nature, it was a decade ago). Other friends of mine have met him as well. The consensus is that he is one of the biggest pieces of shit we have ever come across.
    That honor goes to Roger Clemens... Trust me
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    They check your age at a rave? That means its not a rave.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Along the Yankees paying the majority of Burnett's contract, I think they should be the one to send a thank you note, and possibly a Jeter gift basket.

ESPN
    NOOOOOOOOOO. Burnett is my favorite Yankee, by far.

Lol, get rid of AJ! Take anything!
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

I don't get the point of trading him before spring training. Why don't we wait until we find out if anyone gets injured before we trade him for prospects? It's not like they're going to fill any needs or really save any payroll by dealing him now.

I don't get the point of trading him before spring training. Why don't we wait until we find out if anyone gets injured before we trade him for prospects? It's not like they're going to fill any needs or really save any payroll by dealing him now.
    They are doing so, a baseball official said, because they want to see if they receive someone who could DH in a possible deal for Burnett.

If the Yankees don't receive a DH-type in a deal for Burnett or don't trade Burnett at all, then they are likely to sign one of either Raul Ibanez, Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui or another free agent DH still on the market.

The Yankees are willing to deal Burnett because they don't have a place in their rotation for him. They acquired Michael Pineda and Hiroki Kuroda, leaving Phil Hughes, Freddy Garcia and Burnett to fight it out for the fifth spot.

Even with top prospect Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances needing more seasoning in the minors , the Yankees think they have organization depth with Adam Warren, David Phelps and D.J. Mitchell. All three could be ready if the Yankees need to call up a spot starter due to injury.
    It seems they have too many spots, and are comfortable with either Garcia or Hughes filling that spot, for whoever doesn't make the fifth starter spot. I actually think Burnett will do well in Pittsburgh, well better than he has in New York, if the trade goes through. It was never a question if Burnett's stuff was good, it was just a mental thing with him, and he never really seemed comfortable in New York.
    Last edited by buddy; 02-12-2012 at 06:15 PM.

so the A's signed yoenis cespedes...discuss

That's a lot of $ for a guy who has never seen a big league pitch.

I admire the A's for the sheer fact that they've been able to sign nearly every player I cared for the most in 1995 (including Matsui!) within the last several seasons. All in a ball park so shitty(it was once a good park until that fucking dinosaur Al Davis built a goddamned concrete sarcophagus in the outfield) that there is more urine amongst the Food Court concourse than in the fucking toilets. I've spent more on gas to get myself to Oakland from San Jose and back than I do on a ticket, a beer, and a hot dog. Keep your half-assed baseball club out of my city.

I really would like to know how in the hell he got around this. Not just some Buster Olney horseshit but some fucking facts...
    Last edited by Grandma; 02-23-2012 at 02:53 PM.