Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bestival 2012

Default Re: Bestival 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    A ton of festivals are better than Sasquatch. What's your point?
    Indeed. It may not be Bestival, but Sasquatch is going to be great and we have quite the group going this year. And flights are $800 cheaper. I mean, if they didn't all require $900-1500 in airfare, I'd stick with European fests and Fuji Rock, many of us would, but they do.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I fucking hate how expensive airfare is to get over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

I guess Rob Da Bank is going to announce an artist a day until next Tuesday, when he announces the Saturday headliner. Today's announcement: Doctor P.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

gross.

Are you guys pretty serious about going? I want to go back so bad!
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.

Yeah; we're waiting to see what kind of headliners they pull out; it's going to be pricey, so we want to make sure it's worth it.

We discussed last night that we're either just going to do the Tangerine camping or spend an extra few hundy and do the boutique camping.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

What's the Tangerine camping? I was going to discuss the camping options with you guys. It would be hard to go out there and plan that out. I had my uncle over there with loads of camping gear so I was set but still, next time I'm gonna rent something that they have available. I also want to discuss the ferry options with you so you don't waste hours waiting to get to IoW.

The Tangerine Fields is a camping area that has private flushing potties and hot showers; they also ahve the camp pitched for you so you don't have to do anything when you get there.

Then there's the VIP/Boutique camping area; you can either pitch your own equipment (that we'd have to buy when we get there) in the VIP area, or we can rent one of the yurts/tipis/cloudhouses/podpads they have. If you're in VIP, they shuttle you back and forth, clean potties/showers, etc. No matter what, it's looking like camping on site is the best option. Going offsite looks to be a hassle because the last bus leaves 1/2 hour after the last act of the night. And I'm seeing some stuff happens after the last act.

Daughter is today's add.

Yeah I would definitely camp on-site. I wonder if they are rearranging the camping situation - you mention the shuttling back and forth but when I was there all those cloudhouses and yurts were right outside of the entrance. I was looking at all the camping options last night and it seems like with the Tangerine Fields you would still need to bring sleeping bag, air mattress, etc. There was one company - the Yurt and Squrts one, that one looks AWESOME and it didn't seem as pricey as some of the others especially for what you get. I know it all adds up though, but if you can afford to go one of those routes go with the most luxurious one. After flying over there, huffing around for LONG days in the dreary weather (music is from noon-5am or so)- it will be amazing to be in a comfortable environment. I think it's great that they all have hot showers because in general camping there was nothing (that I found). When I return, I want to rent one of those 16 foot yurts.

You can get a tangerine package for 175BPS but it includes the air mattresses and sleeping bags. The blue bell tents are my favorite..and also the most expensive at 550BPS. But it includes a wooden bed frame and a real mattress and stuff.

adds

Saturday Headliner - New Order

Friendly Fires
    Death In Vegas
    Django Django
    Daughter
    Drums Of Death
    Zulu Winter
    Brainfeeder Presents Thundercat, The Gaslamp Killer, Teebs, Lapalux, Jeremiah Jae & Dj Kutmah
    Doctor P
    Pearson Sound
    Borgore
    Flux Pavilion
    Max Cooper
    Gemini
    Pangaea
    Pariah
    Billy Daniel Bunter
    Trolley Snatcha
    Blawan
    KOAN Sound
    Warm & Electric Minds

yay Max Cooper! Idk if Rick reads this thread but if you do - check out this recording from a live set he did while on his recent tour:
    http://www.djbroadcast.nl/podcast/id=743/episode.html

edit: well I saw on the lineup he is a dj set and not live. His dj sets are still great so if you like what you hear still try to fit him in. One thing that kinda sucks is that you don't get a schedule until you arrive (at least that's how it worked in 2010). So I ended up finding a spot to sit down on Thursday night, busted out my notepad, and wrote out my daily schedule.
    Last edited by unknown; 02-14-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Jesus, New Order. We're pretty much set on going; we just can't afford to buy tickets until after Coachella (hello, nice fat IRS bill). I can't imagine who the other headliners are, but they're clearly tailoring this festival to both of our musical tastes.

Lilia--I did notice the schedule issue as well. Kind of shitty they don't give you the set times in advance so you can map out your stuff. But whatever, I guess.

We’ve delved even deeper into the Ambient Forest this year and are very excited to be presenting a brand new performance stage: The Amphitheatre. Nestled under a canopy of trees, this beautiful spot will be home to a host of eclectic treats, from live film scores, to comedy sketch shows, to theatre and poetry.

In the daytime we’ll be showcasing a vast array of the very best spoken word maestros in Scroobius Pip’s Lizard Lounge sessions. We’ve also got some seriously funny sketch groups unleashing their hilarity for our chortling pleasure. In Max & Ivan are Holmes & Watson, history’s greatest detective tackles Chicago’s mobster underworld in this thrilling escapade! Next up are The Unexpected, the creators of the hugely popular YouTube sensation ‘Gap Yah’. And then there’s Four Screws Loose: officially the tallest (not to mention the sexiest) sketch comedy group on the circuit!

In the theatrical offerings, we have the delightful Owdyado Theatre, presenting ‘About A Bench’, a funny, surreal and playful show of ten stories taking place on a park bench. Then newcomers Soundbites will be bringing some of the most hotly tipped theatre makers and musicians face to face to create new short plays that feature live music on stage. Kinda like a live music video. But better. And for mind expanding musings, don’t miss our series of talks from the mighty RSA, who will be presenting ideas and thoughts from some of the leading enlightened thinkers of our time.

As night falls, we’ll be turning to the silver screen. In a first for Bestival, we’ll be teaming up leading DJs and musicians with a handpicked selection of your favourite films, to offer some brilliantly unique live score cinematic collaborations. Rob da Bank will be leading the way with an unmissable re-scoring of the 1930s film King Kong.

And that’s not all that’s going on in the Ambient Forest. Back by popular demand, you can start your day in a secluded clearing in the woods, with a very special meditation or yoga session, presented by leading experts, the David Lynch Foundation. And if you are wandering around after dark, look out for the extraordinarily talented interactive theatre company Gideon Reeling, who’ll be popping up along the trails when you least expect it! Already firm favourites at Camp Bestival, prepare to be enchanted, surprised, enlightened and bewildered by your assortment of encounters with this fabulous gang.

that sounds brilliant
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I talked to a co-worker yesterday that is in town from London; she's been to Bestival herself and said she had the best time; also that the Isle of Wight is "lovely". I'm wondering if I can cargo ship my camping equipment to her so I don't have to pay to rent anything.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    yay Max Cooper! Idk if Rick reads this thread but if you do - check out this recording from a live set he did while on his recent tour:
    http://www.djbroadcast.nl/podcast/id=743/episode.html

edit: well I saw on the lineup he is a dj set and not live. His dj sets are still great so if you like what you hear still try to fit him in. One thing that kinda sucks is that you don't get a schedule until you arrive (at least that's how it worked in 2010). So I ended up finding a spot to sit down on Thursday night, busted out my notepad, and wrote out my daily schedule.
    Downloaded this last week and am just listening to it now for the first time. It's really good, thanks!

It's a shame it now looks like we might not be able to make this. >:-|
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Been looking into this...

Looks like the kind of fest where I could still have a blast going solo. Seem accurate?

moar adds

http://2012.bestival.net/news/bestiv...-djs-announced

Bat For Lashes
    SBTRKT
    Roots Manuva
    Ben Howard
    Alabama Shakes
    Sage Francis
    Moodymann
    Grimes
    Chairlift
    Gesaffelstein
    Iceage
    Ren Harvieu
    Factory Floor
    Porcelain Raft
    Toy
    Kindness
    Dismantle
    Dirty Beaches
    General Levy
    Top Cat feat. Sir Coxsone Outernational
    Josh Kumra
    Errors
    Trailer Trash Tracys
    Forest Swords
    Stay+
    Skinny Lister
    Misty’s Big Adventure
    Ryan Keen
    Nina Nesbitt
    BIGkids
    The Lovely Eggs
    Alt-J
    St Spirit
    Charming
    Shepherds
    Seán McGowan
    Kavinsky
    Girl Unit
    Mixmaster Morris
    Chris Coco
    Phil Mison
    Pete Gooding
    Last edited by suprefan; 03-08-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Man, this is painful. I hope it works out so we can go. Not looking so good right now.

Still need to make it here. The lineup is always so fantastic and diverse. Truely seems like a magnificent experience

Quote Originally Posted by Kropladop View Post
    Little Dragon and Earth, Wind, and Fire WIN
    I have said it before, and I will say it again..... Earth, Wind and Fire is long overdue at coachella
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

I say six of us go in on hiring Beryl the Bus to stay in. Three bedrooms, a toilet, a kitchen, and located in VIP.

http://www.thebespokebus.co.uk/?page_id=4

It's 3600GBP. NVM.

Sunday's headliner is Stevie Wonder

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/supe...val-43595.aspx

"Stevie will be on after Sigur Ros on the main stage. You will have one of Sigur’s incredible live shows and then we will have a right old knees up with Stevie Wonder.
    I wonder who the third headliner will be.
    Last edited by Boourns; 03-22-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Argh. I want to go. I wish I had more vacation time and that airfare wasn't so expensive.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

I just don't know, and won't know until at least this summer, if this festival is a viable option for us.

I've already committed to Sonar -- and I'm really happy about that -- but I want so badly to try Bestival, too. It's not possible to fly overseas twice this year, though, unless I hit the lotto or get a stupendous bonus at work or something.

It's somewhat of a consolation that the lineups are good every year though.

I've heard their lineups are great, but this is turning out to look like a lineup that Rick and I would have curated. Christburgers. We just might have to be irresponsible and bite the bullet and credit card this.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Jesus. That is one hell of an interesting, original line up.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I think that almost every year (that it could have been curated by me). They do a really good job of it, their lineups always seem to be pretty well rounded to me, and even the mainstream acts they book are ones that are really good performers for the most part. The only thing that holds me back is that Glastonbury was so bad that I'm a little afraid of UK festival crowds now.