Thread: Rufus Wainwright - New Album (2012) - Out of the Game

Hybrid View

Default Rufus Wainwright - New Album (2012) - Out of the Game

New album's called Out of the Game. Mark Ronson producing. Out May 1st. He's also touring in support. But he always seems to be touring, so that's not really new news.

What's the word on the album? Have we heard any previews yet? I'm so glad he's got a producer again. He's far too self-indulgent to self-produce. I'm hoping he's left those everything-but-the-kitchen-sink orchestrations and overly flowery piano arrangements of the last few albums behind. It's time a return to the songcraft and (relative) restraint of Poses and his self-titled debut.

Default Re: Rufus Wainwright - New Album (2012) - Out of the Game

Well why dont you buy tickets to his show and let us know how it is?

The Orpheum show? I have plans that weekend.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I am excited.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

He sang 3 (maybe more) songs from the new album when I saw him last Friday at Pappy & Harriet's. His sister Martha also has a new album coming out, and hers is a little country and and little French Canadian. Rufus's songs seemed a bit more upbeat than usual. Of course, I love any & all songs he sings, so I'm not a good critic. Hearing the songs in person, with his sister Martha, in a 200 seat venue, and acoustic only - what's not to love? One of the songs is about his baby boy, who just turned one year old. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    He sang 3 (maybe more) songs from the new album when I saw him last Friday at Pappy & Harriet's. His sister Martha also has a new album coming out, and hers is a little country and and little French Canadian. Rufus's songs seemed a bit more upbeat than usual. Of course, I love any & all songs he sings, so I'm not a good critic. Hearing the songs in person, with his sister Martha, in a 200 seat venue, and acoustic only - what's not to love? One of the songs is about his baby boy, who just turned one year old. Loved it.
    How fun, GPS! Those chances to see him such an intimate setting are getting rarer. I have fond memories of seeing both him and Martha at the old Largo supper club. Now he's a big star, of course. I'm delighted for his success. Just kind of hope he reigns in the extravagance on the this new album. He's a huge talent. I just think he needs an editor.

Did not know he had a kid....

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    New album's called Out of the Game. It's time a return to the songcraft and (relative) restraint of Poses and his self-titled debut.
    Completely agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

New promo vid. I know it's absolutely ridiculous to judge an album by the less than 2 minutes of music we hear in the background, but I'm not feeling this. I never buy Rufus with electric guitars. Always sound mismatched. Rufus is a multitude of things, rocking is not one of them. It also sounds so... generic, so blah. Hope we get some more promising morsels.

NPR's streaming the whole album. What a mess. It's very 70s. Feels like second rate Harry Nilsson and Van Dyke Parks, though. Nearly every song just... meanders. I wonder if its sobriety that's done this to him. While his voice is stronger than its ever been, there's been a steady decline in the quality of songwriting since Poses. Helena Bonham Carter's in the nonsensical video for the title song which is the only track I find tolerable.

It’s been my “Song of the Week” and I haven’t had one of those in what seems like quite a long time. A wake and play, sing along, feel good kind of track. No new territory, mind, but it’s everything a three or four minute straightforward pop song should be.

Haven’t heard the full album yet (thanks). Considering attending the LA or SD show as the Belly Up 'Release the Stars' one a few years ago was so fun. Me and my friend drunk off our ass belting out ‘One Man Guy’ with Rufus at the top of our lungs stumbling around by the stairs. That was the best night.

Ha. That's great, lehorne. As he gets more popular (especially in Europe) those smaller club dates are becoming rarer. I think that's when he's usually at his best. He used have the best stage banter when he was a regular at the old Largo. I think the wine probably helped. I wish he'd do one of those Christmas specials on the west coast. You know, where the stage is quite literally filled with members of the extended Wainwright clan. While I've not been a fan of the last few albums, no doubt that he's a great entertainer.

Love Rufus Wainwright. Finally got a chance to see him at Coachella in 2007, which was really fun, even if it was sweltering in that packed tent. Then, saw him a few months later in Santa Fe, NM (I'm in Albuquerque), at the Paolo Soleri Amphitheater. Basically a tiny little high school amphitheater, which according to wikipedia held about 650 people. Sean Lennon and A Fine Frenzy opened. It was awesome. I'm hoping he makes his way west, this time around. I'm lobbying one of the theaters here in Albuquerque, haha. I'll have to check out the new album, but regardless, he's a showman.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

'Junky' by Burroughs in the video. Read it if you want his easiest.

anyone headed to the Fox tonight? Just hearing a playlist mix with '14th Street' and 'Gay Messiah' makes me want to attend. And eating/drinking at the outdoor mexican restaurant at the Mission Inn is always amazing.

It's going to be empty. You can still get second row, but at $86 a ticket. Ouch. Why does he got to be so high? Blonker.