Thread: Sign here if you are NOT going to Coachella in 2012

Hybrid View

Unhappy Sign here if you are NOT going to Coachella in 2012

Well, I have pretty much known for months now that I wasn't going to be able to go this year, but it's as official as it's going to get right now. It's really, really, really depressing, like really, truly, very sad. But I've been coming to terms with this sad reality for a while now, so it's sort of like a slow death or something.

Unfortunately, my job will have me traveling to Atlanta in the middle of April for very important shit that I can't get out of, and I won't be able to attend either weekend. I don't necessarily want to get into the specifics of my job, but I work in TV and it will be impossible for me to fly back to Southern California for four days in the middle of our taping schedule.

My first Coachella was in 2010, and I told myself I'd go every year after that until the end of time, but I just can't do it. My "Coachella family" and I, (a group of about 30 friends from Chicago/SD/LA/Seattle/Colorado/Boston/Arizona) rent a house in Indio/Palm Springs and make it the best weekend of the year. The core group of that family has been going since the beginning of Coachella, and every year the family grows larger and larger. Coachella is our Christmas, basically. I'm sure many of you can relate to that.

It's going to suck knowing that they are all there partying in the desert without me. It will be hard seeing all of their FB postings before, during, and after Coachella - and all of the pictures, videos, memories, etc.

And of course the message board...it will be unavoidable for me. Within the last year or so I've started to interact regularly on here, I've had the pleasure of meeting some of you, and to say the least I have become pretty obsessed with this place. It's going to be a huge bummer missing out on all of the bands and everything that ends up going down, and then having to read about all of it for years afterwards. It sucks that I won't be able to share in any of these experiences from Coachella 2012 with my fellow board members.

But I will be alright. I'm going to be done in Atlanta at the end of July and I'll be moving back to LA at that time. I'm planning on driving from Atlanta to Chicago for Lollapalooza, and then driving across the country to San Francisco for Outside Lands. I figure if I'm going to miss Coachella, at least I can try to make up for it by hitting two festivals on back-to-back weekends.

I wanted to start this thread to sort of grieve in a way, and also finally admit to myself that I am not going to Coachella this year. Perhaps others can share their same sob story and we can grieve together.

So everybody have fun out there this year and be safe. I will see you in Indio in 2013. Until then, I will see you on the boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Default Re: Sign here if you are NOT going to Coachella in 2012

I have never been to Coachella and that is not changing this year either. I've watched the webcast 5 years in a row and I've only ever been bummed about not being in attendance in 2008.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Fikus, I'll see you at OSL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

sorry to hear...
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

This will be my 3rd year going and I didn't think I'd make it this year, but in the end I couldn't say no. That said, I know I'll be in your position one of these years. Best of luck coping.

I know a ragtag group of people from my college University of Arizona who've gone with me over the past 2 years, it'd be great if it coalesced into a stable camping group down the line.
    '10, '11, '12.1, '13.1, '14.1