Page 58 of 495 FirstFirst ... 5354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 14838

Thread: It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin: A Thread About Dating

Default Re: It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin: A Thread About Dating

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    MoSetsFire, I don't think that experience is exclusive to children of immigrants - I grew up in a rural area, and I had it very lucky in that my parents only expected me to work in their business each day after school and on weekends and to do household work. Most of my friends/neighbors lived on farms where they did hours of manual labor before and after school each week day and all through the weekends. I'm actually rather glad I was expected to work from a young age. I've known folks who had NEVER had a job (not even a minimum wage summer gig) until they graduated college, and not only was the transition to the work force ... very difficult for them, but they had difficulty finding employment because they were so inexperienced. They may have gotten to enjoy their childhoods more but I'm so much better off than most of my college mates now.
    I remember someone from my brief tenure in SF who would tell anybody who asked that was still in school because she was "afraid to get a job." She's probably doing really well here in the present day.

I feel pretty adamant that some sort of work experience should be a required part of graduating from high school both for development of a healthy work ethic and for perspective-expanding purposes, preferably in the service industry so afterward they understand intrinsically what it feels like to do that kind of job and have a better understanding of how to treat people filling that role.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 02-15-2012 at 09:31 AM.

I've been drunk a lot and I think it's made me more worldly.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I think it's silly how people think employment is the main source of experience. Just because you know your way around the workforce because you've been roofing since you were 5 years old only means that you know your way around the workforce because you've been roofing since you were 5 years old. Plenty of hardworking people make horrible decisions or do cowardly things. I never really had any labor intensive jobs, but that just means what, maybe if I get into the workforce, I'll need some time to adjust. Like a week. Maybe a month or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by MoSetsfire View Post
    Either they buckle under the pressure and pick up fucked up habits, or they push through and come out more prepared on the other side.
    I was agreeing with you. At the time, I certainly grumbled about having to do work for free for my dad every day, but in the long run, it's paid off in that my work ethic is quite a bit better than most of the people I know or work with. What I consider "pretty serious slacking" at my job still results in being one of the darlings of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    My parents were rich and paid for college and bought me a car. I've had a job since I was 16. Still worked when I was in college to pay my rent and have taken nothing for granted. Shut the fuck up about having it rough making you see the world clearer.
    It was just one example you fucking dolts.

By the way, I'm not saying that any of you are saying that work experience is the only worthy experience. But I've met plenty of people who think that.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    My parents were rich and paid for college and bought me a car. I've had a job since I was 16. Still worked when I was in college to pay my rent and have taken nothing for granted. Shut the fuck up about having it rough making you see the world clearer.
    Ha, I agree with you to an extent, but I also think that there is a fundamental difference between having a part-time job at 16 because you want some extra cash to buy video games, and having a part-time job at 16 because if you don't help out your parents they are not going to be able to pay the electricity bill.

I feel very fortunate that I come from an affluent background. I know that I lucked out and was dealt a good hand in the birth lottery. I also appreciate that my parents did what they could to instill a work ethic in me -- including having me start my first job at 15. But I think that a good work ethic is significantly different than the experience of living with a daily fear of the foreboding sense that maybe this will be the month that the family won't be able to make ends meet. You know? It's just a very different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Your age, minus seven, multiplied by two. That is, at least, if we are going by the Oxford Rules of Appropriate Age, which states that a man must half his age and add seven, so as to find the acceptable age that his lovers may be.
    Let me get this straight... 50-7=43x2= 86 (This will only work if there's a dollar sign in front of the 8, and 9 zeros after the 6, because Lord knows that 3" hanging in front of him will always be 3"...) If what you meant was 50-25=25+7=32, then that makes perfect sense as far as Mother Nature's idea of sexual compatibility goes.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Erm, curious as to what age you think is appropriate for me. I didn't know there was a rule of who I can or cannot date based on age.
    Hm, unfortunately, based upon what would be age appropriate for you Kat, there are rules, laws, in fact. But, if we were to overlook those laws, I would say, 9 years old as the youngest, and no one older than 19... Sorry, but you may have your shit together as far as job success goes, and supporting yourself, but your ideas on dating and the ability you have to over-think shit, makes you suck at dating anyone in your own age bracket. And you're playing games with the guy you've dated once before, because you've already stated that you're not interested, yet you leave shit open by saying shit like, "It's girls nite out..." What do you plan on telling him the other 6 nights when he texts you asking if you have plans? (Because that's what he's going to do...at least until he wises up and gets tired of trying. By then he may decide that even a friendship ain't worth all the trouble.)

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    What's the male version of a "cougar" called?
    Sugar Daddy?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Kitty kat meow... here's my honest DRUNK opinion. I realize that I may be disliked by many boardies for this.

I don't know what you look like. Everyone here says you're good look looking, but all your "woe is me" stories are really unattractive. If you want to be friends with the dude, then tell him what everyone else is saying. "Sorry if I misconstrue your intentions, but I would really like it if we remain friends." If he's all cool with that, then he'd be a friend. If he's not, then don't be friends with him because he's probably just looking for some ass. People (not just guys) don't get it unless it's written out for them. Don't play your games. You say you act more mature than your age, but I'm not seeing it. Beating around the bush is something immature people would do, or someone who has trouble with confrontations.

Just go out and have fun. Be yourself and don't worry what other people will think of you.

If you try to be something you're not to impress someone, than you're just leading that guy to disappointment.

Find someone who is attracted to you for who you are, and not someone who YOU think the guy wants.
    THIS is more or less what I've been wanting to scream out in a very high-pitched, reprimanding tone of voice, since I started reading this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Geez, I got half a page through this thread and thought "Christ, I'm so glad I'm married."

/totalbitchery
    No shit. This thread has me embracing the status of Worst Board Couple! lol
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    By the way, I'm not saying that any of you are saying that work experience is the only worthy experience. But I've met plenty of people who think that.
    Right, we're not saying that at all; it's one type of experience and maturity. I do think that being expected to work (relatively) hard from a young age made me a more serious and responsible person than I might have been otherwise, though. My jobs outside my home/parents' work when I was 15-18 were so awful that they very much made me willing to work hard in my career in order to be prosperous in a field I enjoyed (or at least -- one that wasn't humiliating or miserably physically taxing). I really am glad that I had that background.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Ha, I agree with you to an extent, but I also think that there is a fundamental difference between having a part-time job at 16 because you want some extra cash to buy video games, and having a part-time job at 16 because if you don't help out your parents they are not going to be able to pay the electricity bill.
    Thank you for making that point. I was trying not to stress that because it sounds like I'm complaining or something, but yea, I did not mean having a part time job in order to be able to go to the mall and shop. I meant everyone in my family working multiple jobs so we could pay rent/mortgage, pay utilities, and eat.

I didn't love it at the time, but the upside is that I've never been afraid of working hard / working a lot, and that has really benefited me professionally, and I feel absolutely confident that I will never end up in dire straits, because I will do literally whatever is needed and work any amount that is needed in order to support myself. A lot of my friends who had very privileged upbringings... are completely lost without a steady, large salary.
    Last edited by chiapet; 02-15-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Right, we're not saying that at all; it's one type of experience and maturity. I do think that being expected to work (relatively) hard from a young age made me a more serious and responsible person than I might have been otherwise, though. My jobs outside my home/parents' work when I was 15-18 were so awful that they very much made me willing to work hard in my career in order to be prosperous in a field I enjoyed (or at least -- one that wasn't humiliating or miserably physically taxing). I really am glad that I had that background.
    Yeah, I do think it is good experience. I mean, I suppose all experience is good experience, but seeing as how we must make money, workforce experience is especially good experience.

I've never worked hard. The jobs I've had have included inventory work for schools, selling ice cream, and a brief stint at selling cell phones. I've also done some copywriting, but that was after high school and college. But I've had people criticize me for not having to "work," and for getting a lot of help from my parents. It's like people assume that I don't want to earn my own things - or even worse, that I am unable to earn my own things.

My worst job was not exceptionally hard labor, it was as a housekeeper when I was like 14-17. I used my mom's SSN to work illegally. Heh. It doesn't seem like the sort of job that would be very bad, but dealing with... people's... bodily waste/fluids, ugh. Left a very strong desire in me to go to school and get a good job and hopefully not end up with a job like that again in my life. (It was really depressing to work with women in their 60's who had been doing that type of job for 40+ years and had no retirement in sight). Plus, as was mentioned before, I think it made me a better person in the sense that I know someone cleans up my messes when I use a facility, and I wouldn't dream of leaving a disaster for a maid to find. Just like how waiting tables makes you have more sympathy for servers, etc.

Once I worked as a housekeeping assistant at the university dorms I was attending during the summer and I showed up to work late and hungover every day at 12 and the senoras I worked with fed me delicious lunch and then because they did all of the cleaning in the morning, in the afternoons we would hide in dorm rooms and nap or watch spanish soap operas in the lounge.

Since we're all talking about how mature we are and what shaped us.

One time at Marble Slab, my good friend came in and I made him an ice cream with a little bit of every flavor, with a little bit of every mix-in, and he said, "It doesn't taste like a blended flavor. I'm tasting each individual thing, one at a time."

That didn't shape me very much, but I think it turned him into a better man.

There are no telenovelas on TV in Ohio.
    But the kitchen staff did always make me, or save for me, treats from the meals they prepared. Like sausage biscuits and gravy for breakfast practically any time I wanted. I always ended up gaining weight over summers when I was there every day. :P

I was almost held back in kindergarten because I was horrible at using scissors to cut things and couldn't color within the lines but I had already read the entire Little House on the Prairie series and I remember being like, how dare you say that I am not mature enough or ready for the first grade. I'm telling you I'm ready. I'm also telling you I just peed in my leggings and I'm ready for a nap.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Less work stories and more comical or crushing dating mishaps, please.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I was almost held back in kindergarten because I was horrible at using scissors to cut things and couldn't color within the lines but I had already read the entire Little House on the Prairie series and I remember being like, how dare you say that I am not mature enough or ready for the first grade. I'm telling you I'm ready. I'm also telling you I just peed in my leggings and I'm ready for a nap.
    haha, that deserves to be quoted
    mja: "i would make a great effeminate hick-accented puppet"

Once I worked as a housekeeping assistant at the university dorms I was attending during the summer and I showed up to work late and hungover every day at 12 and the senoras I worked with fed me delicious lunch and then because they did all of the cleaning in the morning, in the afternoons we would hide in dorm rooms and nap or watch spanish soap operas in the lounge.
    Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    was on a date with a super hot asian girl, Other Bar on Abbot Kinney, GREAT date spot if you can find a table. anywho, we get a mini-table near the front window. i already bought the first round before sitting down (i think i got delirium or something). so for the next round she gets up...and doesn't come back for like literally 40-45 mins.

i just sat there, patiently, like a good boy (aka shit head), trying to keep composure. at the 20 min mark 3 girls facing me from a nearby table start waving and they ask where my date went, in a nice way / they weren't being bitches. one of them was pretty cute and was hitting me but i was like "oh no no, i'm on a date...even though i wouldn't mind rounding the bases with you bright eyes."

so the girl FINALLY comes back and the conversation went like this:

girl: "HEY CHRIS, SORRRRRYYYY. As I was coming back with our drinks this guy I know stopped me and FORCED ME TO TALK WITH HIM."
    me: "Oh that's okay, just happy you're back. Thanks for drink! So how do you know that guy?"
    girl"Yea we used to date..."
    me: "COOL, COOL, yea small world"
    in Chris' mind, while still smiling: "I wonder what hand I'm going to physically abuse myself with tonight?"

Wait your name isn't allowed to be Chris. We already have too many on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    I consider myself young for my age...my Ex was 9 years younger than me. I dated someone that was 12 years younger than me, as well. It's not that I find women my age unattractive; I just find we have very little in common (for the most part), and want a much different life experience.
    That's the tricky thing for me, too. My lifestyle has a lot more in common with younger people who have never been married. I just don't have much in common with a single mom my age other than we both remember when Reagan was shot. When I was first divorced, I dated several women who were 29, and it just never went anywhere. We had dinner or drinks once or twice, and good conversations, but that's it. Maybe they were looking for a sugar daddy and figured out I was poor, but I really didn't care for them much either. When I started dating women my age or older, there was pretty much always sexual chemistry, but we never had much to talk about. So I chose the route of hanging out with younger people as friends and getting laid regularly with women my age, rather than endless dinners and small talk at shitty chain restaurants.

I did sleep with someone like 16 years younger than me, which was pretty crazy. But I don't want to be the guy creeping on girls with daddy fetishes or whatever, so it was a 1 time thing. Unless she calls again.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    eHarmony set me up with a star wars/star trek guy, which apparently isn't horrible to some, but I have only seen the first movie and am not into it at all. They boast that they set you up with people with your same interests and I knew before they served us our community bread that we were not compatible. I was going to continue the date though because I couldn't be THAT picky. Then the community bread came, he reached down, grabbed the whole loaf to tear off a chunk, ate it, reached in and picked the bread out of his teeth with his fingers and then reached down and started touching the bread again, then offered me some. GROSS! Do not pick your teeth and then touch the community bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

i once dated someone 22 years older than myself

it was weird

Anyone ever done speed dating? I did once, nothing came out of it.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I just want to start and OKC account to see how compatible I am with all you sexy people on here.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Several years ago, I was a graduate student at USC and participated in a speed dating event hosted by the Graduate and Professional Student Senate. It was basically a bunch of really super awkward engineering students trying fruitlessly to make dull conversation for 5 minutes before the timer went off and we all rotated seats. However, if I remember correctly, the event included alcohol, so at least there was that.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    You know who was hot? Gina.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    You know who was hot? Gina.
    I love that movie.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.