Page 398 of 496 FirstFirst ... 393394395396397398399400401402403 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,940 of 14855

Thread: It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin: A Thread About Dating

Default Re: It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin: A Thread About Dating

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    why do people "choose" you on okcupid and then never send a message? what does the "chosen" thing mean? i really only use the messenger.
    If you go to the "quickmatch" section you can rate profiles, I think that is where the chosen part comes in. It just means someone ranked your profile with 4 or more stars.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    If you go to the "quickmatch" section you can rate profiles, I think that is where the chosen part comes in. It just means someone ranked your profile with 4 or more stars.
    i guess i just don't understand why people take the time to do that, but not message someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

That sounds lame. I wonder when the time is ripe for me to jump into this mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Now.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

When you want to?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I saw an ad for some sort of dating website where people bid on you as a date. Which seems....strange. Literally, it was advertising for the idea that you can have men try to outbid eachother on you.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

i guess i just don't understand why people take the time to do that, but not message someone.
    I don't really understand that either. Usually I will go check their profile even after they give me a high rating and they still don't send a message. I sometimes wonder if it's just the site doing that in order to get people to log in more often. The whole process is pretty lame though, very few people actually send messages, they just look at photos all day (me included).

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

ebay for hookers. That's kinda brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

haha gunz.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

If it is anything like pof's Meet Me function, here is why I use it without messaging the person. I will click Yes however many times through the random profiles that pop up, and it lets the person I clicked Yes on know that I clicked Yes. The way I see it, that is "message" enough. Sure, on occasion, I will send a message along, but I have gotten WAY more responses from females simply because I clicked Yes, as opposed to trying to type up some sort of genuine message to them.

Clicking yes a bunch of times is a lot easier/efficient/successful than sending drab message after message after message trying to make each one sound unique.

I'm not sure how OKcupid works though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    If it is anything like pof's Meet Me function, here is why I use it without messaging the person. I will click Yes however many times through the random profiles that pop up, and it lets the person I clicked Yes on know that I clicked Yes. The way I see it, that is "message" enough. Sure, on occasion, I will send a message along, but I have gotten WAY more responses from females simply because I clicked Yes, as opposed to trying to type up some sort of genuine message to them.

Clicking yes a bunch of times is a lot easier/efficient/successful than sending drab message after message after message trying to make each one sound unique.

I'm not sure how OKcupid works though.
    so when you say "responses", you get people messaging you? so basically you're saying you don't want to message people but want them to message you? maybe this function is just way too passive-aggressive for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    With dating I think it does. Most people I know will have huge dry spells and then suddenly have multiple options all in a short time frame.

For the most part, this isn't true. You just remember much better when this happens, as opposed to when you're single, meet just one person, and start dating them.

Also, there are some contributory factors as to why this can occur more often when you're single for a long time.

First, when you have been single for a long time, you often become more open to using more forms of meeting prospective dates. This is especially true of women. So while you might have refused to touch something like match.com or OKCupid six months ago, it starts to look more appealing after an extended time of being single.

Second, being involuntarily single for a long time can cause a sense of desperation, causing you to lower your standards, and thus vastly increases your chance of having multiple dating partners concurrently. It also causes the psychological effect of not wanting to dump any of the "lesser" prospects, for fear of the others not working out and finding yourself in another extended period of singleness.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I'm not objecting to the observation, I'm objecting to the expression. It is a dumb expression.
    The expression isn't always dumb:

Shout out to the best table salt ever, whether it's the past, present, or future.

Yeah, maybe that explains it.

I've never used okcupid, but rating a profile high is not the same thing as being interested in someone.

For example, if I found a 55-year-old woman with a detailed profile that clearly stated what she was looking for, had lots of pictures, and didn't come off as arrogant or generic, I would give it a high rating. I'd basically be saying, "You seem like a good catch. A hope a good 60-year-old man finds you soon." However, I wouldn't have any interest in dating her myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
    The expression isn't always dumb:

Shout out to the best table salt ever, whether it's the past, present, or future.
    Yeah, until you have it rubbed in a wound, then you're screwed.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I sometimes wonder if it's just the site doing that in order to get people to log in more often.
    This. I got a message from someone who said they got an email that said I wanted to meet them. She wanted to know if it was OKC just sending them an email or not. I never rated this person nor ever viewed her profile before. We ended up chatting though and went on a date and that was the end of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    This. I got a message from someone who said they got an email that said I wanted to meet them. She wanted to know if it was OKC just sending them an email or not. I never rated this person nor ever viewed her profile before. We ended up chatting though and went on a date and that was the end of that.
    I know that had happened to me on POF but I had hoped OKcupid was a little more legit, apparently not.

so when you say "responses", you get people messaging you? so basically you're saying you don't want to message people but want them to message you? maybe this function is just way too passive-aggressive for me lol.
    Yes, responses=girls sending me messages. I never said I don't want to message people, in fact, I said I DO message people. I don't see what is so confusing about this: I have had greater responses from simply clicking Yes on the Meet Me function than I have from sending out messages to women. Simple. Though, I still do both.

Using this method got me three separate dates, 6 numbers, and numerous numerous back and forth messaging in five days.

When I was on OKC I would occasionally go through the Quickmatch thing just because I'd be bored. It's an easy way to kill time and flip through profiles easily, especially if you're on your phone. And giving somebody a rating of 4 stars or more puts them in that Chosen category which I could see as being useful for going back and referring to people you might want to contact, but if you spend like 20 minutes flipping through it you'll end up "choosing" like 40 or 50 people in all likelihood and then it's just way too many to bother messaging. It's just an easy way to quickly browse pictures of people.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I know that had happened to me on POF but I had hoped OKcupid was a little more legit, apparently not.
    She did mention it was her first time going on in a few months so maybe after a while of inactivity they send one. Yeah I really don't know. Maybe I somehow rated her though without me knowing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Yes, responses=girls sending me messages. I never said I don't want to message people, in fact, I said I DO message people. I don't see what is so confusing about this: I have had greater responses from simply clicking Yes on the Meet Me function than I have from sending out messages to women. Simple.
    if it works for you, cool. i'm just saying it sounds kind of funny to me that someone doesn't have time or doesn't want to message someone, but wants to just "like" their profile and hopes that they take the time and desire to message them back. i guess i'm looking for someone who can take a few minutes to send me a message and who is not so busy they cannot even take the time to say "hey, i like your profile, want to grab a drink sometime?". i've never messaged or even visited the profile of anyone that OKC tells me has "chose" my profile. everyone is looking for something different i suppose and it's working for you, i'm just asking because to me this seems like a silly way to meet people.

It's no more silly than my thought that just checking someones profile will somehow let them know that I might be interested in them and they will then send me a message. That doesn't work either. Even when someone does finally message me I eventually get bored because they just want to message back and forth for 3 months without actually hanging out. I am far too passive for online dating.

ha that is also silly. i also don't use POF, so maybe i'm not getting what's different about it than the OKC "choose" function. or maybe i'm just old school and want to send/receive messages.

if it works for you, cool. i'm just saying it sounds kind of funny to me that someone doesn't have time or doesn't want to message someone, but wants to just "like" their profile and hopes that they take the time and desire to message them back. i guess i'm looking for someone who can take a few minutes to send me a message and who is not so busy they cannot even take the time to say "hey, i like your profile, want to grab a drink sometime?". i've never messaged or even visited the profile of anyone that OKC tells me has "chose" my profile. everyone is looking for something different i suppose and it's working for you, i'm just asking because to me this seems like a silly way to meet people.
    I totally get where you are coming from. I find it silly too, but it works. Of course I see the sillyness of the scenario: I spend 1 minute clicking Yes on an insane amount of random profiles and I get...5-10 messages from it. I spend 15-30 minutes browsing through profiles, reading, looking at various photos, deciding which are worth messaging, typing up something that doesn't seem "copy paste", profile specific, honest, non-creepy, to the point but not too blunt and drab...all that to get ZERO to ONE response. I know this because I've done it, and I still do it, and it still has the same results.

You must keep in mind, however, that you are FEMALE. As a male, online dating becomes much more of a numbers game.
    Last edited by Dogvolta; 03-04-2013 at 11:31 AM.

yeah that makes sense too.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Maybe I'm a sucker, lord knows certain douchebags have duped me recently (Rick), but I actually believe the kid.
    I know some of you weren't even born yet but in 1987 everybody was smoking crack. In L.A. at least, crack was bigger than Jesus.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

I don't think anyone is doubting that people have traded crack for sexual favors. It's just that your story is hard to believe because it's so outlandish. But then again, a lot of things I've done in real life nobody would believe if I posted them.

So wait, how fucking old are you? I thought you were a kid.

Also, how ugly are you? (I'm still deciding if I want to be your plus one to an upcoming show)

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Also, how ugly are you? (I'm still deciding if I want to be your plus one to an upcoming show)
    Very ugly, unfortunately.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Like uglier than Vigo?

Wait... that's not possible.