Page 470 of 494 FirstFirst ... 465466467468469470471472473474475 ... LastLast
Results 14,071 to 14,100 of 14819

Thread: It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin: A Thread About Dating

Default Re: It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin: A Thread About Dating

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    I agree with all that's been said. There are times when my wife is charging hard in her career and I'm lucky enough in my work situation to spend as much time with the kids as I can and there are times when she is bored or in a stagnant role where she puts other non-career related activities first. Between earned comp and time spent for the betterment of the family / relationship, it’s the sum of the parts that counts.

I can see that if your spouse is working and you are not only not working, but not doing anything at all, where anxiety or inferiority complexes may catch up with you.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

this phenomenon is known as "SAHD" (Stay At Home Dad) and they even have a quarterly newsletter and support groups in the New York area where it's most prevalent. Article is in the new GQ (Fassbender cover) or maybe Details (Chris Hemsworth cover). I don't remember which since we have both in the crapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

The woman making more money shouldn't be a big deal. You should be happy there is more money for the family in the first place.

However, much of the loss of masculinity can come from the change in roles.

If your wife is the one negotiating for the new car, handling the finances, making the major family decisions, etc, then it can make the man feel like his role has been degraded or redefined.

That's not to say the man should be doing all of these things if he's terrible at them and his wife is good at them, but it also means that a woman making more than her husband shouldn't just suddenly heap the financial-type decisions upon her shoulders, because THAT is more likely to create resentment.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

there's nothing like that moment where you're making out for the first time. he lays you down and softly cradles your neck and you quickly clench your fist to punch him in the face becuase him toucing your neck obviously means he's about to kill yhou and you need to punch him out. god what's wrong with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    there's nothing like that moment where you're making out for the first time. he lays you down and softly cradles your neck and you quickly clench your fist to punch him in the face becuase him toucing your neck obviously means he's about to kill yhou and you need to punch him out. god what's wrong with me.
    Did you relax and eventually enjoy it? Maybe it was the way he touched you and it was a reflex.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

That may never go away, Ivy. It sucks. There are certain things my husband knows not to do.

That self-preservation instinct sucks sometimes.

Saving face... one blowjob at a time.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    That may never go away, Ivy. It sucks. There are certain things my husband knows not to do.
    You seem like the "choke me" type
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I have no negative history with choking, but it's still not a regular thing in my repertoire.

So, for the folks who have/are dated/dating someone they met online who either originally lived or is still living a considerable but not insurmountable distance away from you, what did you do suggest doing as the basis for meeting that person? Like, "hey, this movie is showing at this theater halfway between where you live and where I live, we should go see it." or something else?

I'm fucking clueless at this (as I am at most things).
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Yes. Suggest a halfway point.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Two questions:

1) When/why did you move to Bellingham?

2) Where does the person you are dating live?

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    So, for the folks who have/are dated/dating someone they met online who either originally lived or is still living a considerable but not insurmountable distance away from you, what did you do suggest doing as the basis for meeting that person? Like, "hey, this movie is showing at this theater halfway between where you live and where I live, we should go see it." or something else?

Definitely find some middle ground to meet, or take turns doing things on either end of the city. Anytime one of you is always doing the driving or travelling it's time consuming, expensive and going to get old really quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Two questions:

1) When/why did you move to Bellingham?

2) Where does the person you are dating live?
    Old profile info is old. I was up there because I got into a grad program at Western and wound up leaving it this summer. I'm back in San Diego, she's in Murrieta.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Old profile info is old. I was up there because I got into a grad program at Western and wound up leaving it this summer. I'm back in San Diego, she's in Murrieta.
    How long have you been dating? How serious is it?

meeting suggests to me this is new.

halfway point is good, look for other things to do in the area as well. also, isn't a movie one of those bad 1st date ventures?

also also, where have you been, or have I just not seen you here? hmm.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

To be honest, online dating blows. I can credit that fact for motivating me to meet women more naturally.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Also, Passive, do whatever works for both of you. If she wants an excuse to visit San Diego then let her come there, or meet half way, or meet somewhere interesting you'd both like to go to, or go where she's at, or whatever else. Just talk it out and figure it out, there's no one way to meet up. But don't have either of you travel a long distance just to quietly sit at a movie together unless it's part of a larger plans.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

If the distance is a problem then the distance is a problem. If it isn't then don't treat it like one. We're talking about an hour drive (depending on traffic and what part of SD you are in).

If you are the one suggesting meeting up (like roo I am assuming this is for the first time) then I'd say the onus is on you to drive up there. Suggest dinner (or brunch or lunch) at a place (possibly even one she has mentioned) and another activity you would like to do. I wouldn't go for a movie but live theater or a museum could work, or you could go bowling or shoot pool, sing karaoke... depending on what you like/what she has said she likes/what is available in Murietta/nearby.

Certainly tell her that you like her and that you want to meet/hang out in person.

If that didn't work I might try suggesting she come to SD for some weekend daytime event, giving her a chance to at least plan to drive back before too late.

If she isn't interested in meeting in person (which doesn't mean saying no to one of these but several and not countering with alternatives) then move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I'm confused by this post. Why isn't "we want to fuck" basis enough for meeting that person?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Maybe he wants to get to know her first.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    If you are the one suggesting meeting up (like roo I am assuming this is for the first time) then I'd say the onus is on you to drive up there. Suggest dinner (or brunch or lunch) at a place (possibly even one she has mentioned) and another activity you would like to do. I wouldn't go for a movie but live theater or a museum could work, or you could go bowling or shoot pool, sing karaoke... depending on what you like/what she has said she likes/what is available in Murietta/nearby.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Maybe he wants to get to know her first.
    Dammit Amy, your sex thread statements have tainted my consciousness. I misread that as "Maybe he wants to get to know her fist."
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I wrote out a joke in response to what Bryan posted about this girl putting her fist in my ass but it was awful, so let's move on.

To answer Courtney and everyone else, yes this is relatively recent. I contacted her over a week ago, we started messaging each other regularly and then she gave me her number a few days ago and we've been texting back and forth since then.

This is very good advice, thanks John. The only snag I've foreseen is that when I asked what she likes to do in her free time, it was a lot of indoors-y kind of activities (watching tv, playing video games, etc.). But I did find out that there's a park out there that she frequents, so maybe I can figure something out around that.

Certainly tell her that you like her and that you want to meet/hang out in person.
    This is what I was going to do, but because I'm fairly self-conscious I was worried that I might frighten her if I just said "Hey, we should hang out" without having something specific in mind. Is that an irrational thing to do? I'm always worried that I'm going to make someone feel uncomfortable, but I guess it would be easy to date people if there wasn't

If that didn't work I might try suggesting she come to SD for some weekend daytime event, giving her a chance to at least plan to drive back before too late.

If she isn't interested in meeting in person (which doesn't mean saying no to one of these but several and not countering with alternatives) then move on.
    Word.

And the consensus seems to be "find something(s) to do that are fun but not a movie" which is fine because I'm not set on movie dates any way. I did see that there's a record store in Temecula that looks neat, but that would have to be either an aside or for the drive back or whatever. She half-heartedly collects records and I can't think of a worse way to spend time getting to know someone than standing awkwardly nearby while they rifle through vinyl... Unless that has actually worked for anyone before. (If so, stories?)
    Upcoming Shows:

I wrote out a joke in response to what Bryan posted about this girl putting her fist in my ass but it was awful, so let's move on.

To answer Courtney and everyone else, yes this is relatively recent. I contacted her over a week ago, we started messaging each other regularly and then she gave me her number a few days ago and we've been texting back and forth since then.

This is very good advice, thanks John. The only snag I've foreseen is that when I asked what she likes to do in her free time, it was a lot of indoors-y kind of activities (watching tv, playing video games, etc.). But I did find out that there's a park out there that she frequents, so maybe I can figure something out around that.

This is what I was going to do, but because I'm fairly self-conscious I was worried that I might frighten her if I just said "Hey, we should hang out" without having something specific in mind. Is that an irrational thing to do? I'm always worried that I'm going to make someone feel uncomfortable, but I guess it would be easy to date people if there wasn't

Word.

And the consensus seems to be "find something(s) to do that are fun but not a movie" which is fine because I'm not set on movie dates any way. I did see that there's a record store in Temecula that looks neat, but that would have to be either an aside or for the drive back or whatever. She half-heartedly collects records and I can't think of a worse way to spend time getting to know someone than standing awkwardly nearby while they rifle through vinyl... Unless that has actually worked for anyone before. (If so, stories?)
    I completely misread the original question and did not understand that you have never met in person.

If she likes video games, maybe you could do something fun and a little silly like going to an arcade? I also like mini golf, bowling (as mentioned above), and aquariums -- basically anything that will take the pressure off feeling like you need to have a deep conversation, while still allowing you to interact and chat. I would avoid a record store because I think anyone who frequents the Coachella message board is probably going to be significantly more into records than most regular folks, and so you will inevitably end up geeking out about music stuff and she will feel out of her element and it will be awkward.

Well I never specified that I hadn't met her before, so it's alright Courtney. Also, going to an arcade sounds like a killer idea. Thanks!
    Upcoming Shows:

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

I have different advice--you should drive absolutely anywhere she wants, because you literally couldn't be less attractive.