Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Default Re: Tell us about the 2012 Sasquatch Lineup

Ha, I was thinking "subtercat." Dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

STRFKR (aka Starfucker) is a great pop band from Portland that uses a lot of synth. They really have an ear for hooks and are an absolute blast live. Their early afternoon Outside Lands set last year was fantastic and the crowd was really big and enthusiastic. It was actually some of the best sounding stuff I've heard live, on good fest speakers like Sasquatch I'm sure it's going to be just as cool.

here's a good shot of the OSL crowd
    Last edited by citizenerased; 02-06-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Post numbers are located next to the artists name in the first post..... I will try and keep it updated as much as possible

Quick, Gribbz - show kucky how it's done or check this first post from last year's Coachella thread.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...=1#post1974228
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Quick, Gribbz - show kucky how it's done or check this first post from last year's Coachella thread.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...=1#post1974228
    Thanks for helping the lurker out ! I will make the changes

Spiritualized is fucking breathtaking.

Jason Pierce (J. Spaceman, of Spacemen 3) started the band in the early 90s after the breakup of Spacemen. After releasing one single, "Anyway that you Want Me," Jason's girlfriend Kate joined the band to play keyboards.

Dave Gahan, of Depeche Mode, heard them and became a fan. They started opening for DM, and people just fucking hated them. They left the tour after 6 shows. Soon afterwards, they released "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space," which broadened their sound quite a bit. Importantly, during the production of this album, Kate started cheating on Jason Pierce with some douche from The Verve. They broke up and she left the band just after the album was released. Slut.

This is the "Original Elvis Mix," because Elvis Presley's bullshit estate had a problem with a sample. Like he didn't just steal his entire musical persona from poor black blues musicians and never give them any credit, but, that's a different conversation.

After the success of LAGWAFIS, Pierce pushed Spiritualized's sound even further, which saw more than 100 musicians on 2001's Let it Come Down. A few years later, dude got pneumonia really bad and almost died. When he got better, the band released Songs in A&E which gave them maybe their biggest hit single to date:

The fact that Spiritualized is currently listed as playing on the Bigfoot Stage is totally unacceptable. I urge all of you to go to the official Sasquatch Facebook page and post incendiary, hate-filled rhetoric to further this point. They must be moved to the main stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Thanks a lot guys, loving some new names already, keep it comin!
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Tycho is the music project of San Francisco artist and producer Scott Hansen. As Tycho, Hansen blends swirling melodies into vaguely triumphant arcs that crisscross between stuttering beats and vocal samples, creating rolling sonic landscapes that extend into the horizon.

Known in the design world as ISO50, Hansen is famed for his bucolic, sun-drenched design style, which serves as a backdrop and mirror for his musical output.

Hansen began his electronic-music career with 2002’s The Science of Patterns EP , which was followed in 2004 by his first full length, Sunrise Projector. The critical acclaim continued in 2006 with the release of Past Is Prologue on Miami-based IDM imprint Merck records. Ghostly International met Scott Hansen in 2007, and like everybody else, simply had to work with him.

In 2008, Tycho received a nod as one of URB magazine’s “Next 100” artists to watch. Since 2007, Tycho, with great care, released sun-drenched, melodic singles for the 3 years, honing his sound and collaborating with even more live instrumentation. In 2011, his meticulous process sees the release of Dive. The wait has been well worth it.

http://tychomusic.com/

http://blog.iso50.com/

http://ghostly.com/artists/tycho

Tycho is my favorite IDM producer/performer. I also have several of his shirts and posters. I've seen him live 7 times and each show is better than the last. Check him out, you will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by fikus222; 02-07-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

As a solo project with a revolving door of members, the heart and face of Santigold is vivacious frontwoman Santi White. White and John Hill, her former counterpart from ska-punk band Stiffed, use their common backgrounds as production-savvy musicians to make bombastic, bass-oriented songs that fuse punk, reggae, grime, and indie rock with electro

After failed attempts with a few mainstream pop producers, White and Hill (now calling the project Santogold) decided to pair up with a crew of likeminded musicians -- including Freq Nasty, Disco D, Switch, Spank Rock's Naeem, Xxxchange, Steel Pulse guitarist Clifford Moonie Pusey, and none other than M.I.A. herself.

In only three weeks, the full-length Creator was completed and scheduled for release in January of 2008, though it took until April for the album (retitled to simply Santogold) to actually hit shelves. Speaking of re-titling, White decided to change the name of the project to Santigold in early 2009 for reasons possibly related to an impending lawsuit from wrestler and "personality" Santo Gold.

the Santigold landscape is speckled with the flavor of DJ's and all around underground fly kids who have rallied behind her to deliver a versatile, consistent array of tracks. The late great Disco D, Switch, Sinden, Freq Nasty, Diplo, Radioclit, leadguitarist Clifford "Moonie" Pusey of Steel Pulse, former Bad Brains drummer, Chuck Treece, Naeem Juwan of Spankrock, M.I.A, and professional snowboarder/singer-songwriter, Trevor "Trouble" Andrew. Each participant sculpts the sound around White's candid verses and vocal melodies pushing the width of Santigold's scope.

I have seen Santigold 4 times, most recently this NYE and she's a a hell of a performer and a lot of fun too. Her new material complements her first album and sounds great live.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Electric Guest
    "a soul-tinged pop project with hints of indie rock." Debut coming out in april, produced by Dangermouse. The band consists of Matthew Compton and Asa Taccone (Jorma Taccone's brother).

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    Known in the design world as ISO50, Hansen is famed for his bucolic, sun-drenched design style, which serves as a backdrop and mirror for his musical output.
    This. Tycho's live show is awesome. Don't miss it.

Also, as it relates to Santigold, I think this should be here:

The murder capital where we murder for capital

That video had a resurgance of viral a month or so ago on facebook. It makes so many people happy.

Beardyman is a musician from London known for his beatboxing skill along with live looping. He is also pretty damn funny, as you can see in the first video. If any of you saw his performance in the Oasis Dome this past Coachella you know he is a must see. His show left me in utter amazement. Join me up front at this years Sasquatch.

To be honest, I am not really a fan of Santigold's recorded music... but go see her at Sasquatch. Whatever you do. She is a total party live and knows how to get a crowd going. And because of the viral success of that Santigold 09 video, I am sure either some really special, or really contrived, is going to happen on the hill during her set.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

St. Vincent

Doesn't need an introduction at this point, but here goes. There are acts that I'd like to check out live and acts I really want to see. St. Vincent is one I need to see, even though I already have three times. For starters, St. Vincent is one of the consistently best live acts I've seen, with her Allen Room performance making it onto my top ten best ever non-festival sets list (overthrowing her 2009 El Rey show). Although it was my third time seeing St. Vincent (and the second Actor-era gig), my mouth was left hanging open like a retard's throughout the set, especially during "Your Lips Are Red" and "Just the Same But Brand New."

Also, in case you haven't heard, last year's Strange Mercy is really fucking good, and seeing how her different but sinisterly cryptic as ever direction translates live is a can't miss (she will be supported by drums and two synths in contrast to the full band from the other tours). There may not be a big live spectacle, but I imagine witnessing Annie Clark build tension to apocalyptic levels would make for one hell of a trip for those of you that are into "stuff." Unlike most of the bland or derpy acts that get selected by the Illuminati to ride the biggest waves of hype, such accolades are actually warranted for St. Vincent. The must-see artist of the weekend.

7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Anthony Jeselnik

If you saw the roasts of Donald Trump and Charlie Sheen, you'd probably never admit it. But if you did, you should remember Anthony Jeselnik as the roaster that everyone else roasted for nobody knowing who he is. Well, he's as Sasquatch and they're not, so I guess the joke's on them. His delivery is slow and awkward, like an anti-Dane Cook, and the content is tasteless. Jokes about AIDS, dead babies, rape, race, Parkinson's? Nothing seems to be taboo. Check out if you love tastelessly offensive humor as much as I do.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Zola Jesus

If I could recommend one act for the entire weekend it would definitely be Zola Jesus. So far she has released three EPs and two full-length albums. Her music combines industrial, classical, electronic, goth, and experimental rock. Her voice has an almost operatic sound to it. I saw her live recently and she puts on a fantastic show. Her live sets are surprisingly more dancey than you might expect if you've heard her albums. Her full set runs at around an hour long so you'll most likely get a full set from her when she plays.

Last edited by nathanfairchild; 02-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

I'm a pretty big fan. Her billing shows how deep this line-up is.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

romanticizer

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Jack White is a musician from the middle of America. Some say Detroit, others say a suburb of Detroit. He was in a band with his old girlfriend, then he married some South American model. His old girlfriend got pretty mad and said she didn't want to play anymore. Jack decided to play with some other guys, then he played with some other guys. Last that was heard is he likes people from his home area of Detroit and is making music with some dudes who like to dress up like clowns and spray soda on people.

People enjoy Jack White. He also likes the blues.
    Besides getting married in Brazil, there is nothing South American about Karen Elson.

Great videos. I really want to see Zola Jesus, but her billing makes a heartbreaking conflict with Feist->Beirut or Little Dragon or both very likely.

Does anyone have a phone that doesn't crash when loading this page? If so, then that's the one I want when I renew my contract.

romanticizer

Samsung Epic...

Yeah, I have the ancient LG Ally and loading this page not only crashed the browser every time, but it changed my wallpaper from a live one to some random picture of clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Apparat

Sascha Ring is probably most known for his electronic IDM productions and work as part of the amazing Moderat project. In 2007 his album Walls was released and he put together a band to perform the tracks live. Last year The Devil's Walk was released and like Walls, is a blend of IDM and ambient electronic sounds. A couple other guys contributed to writing this album, including Telefon Tel Aviv's Joshua Eustis. Most of the set will be from The Devil's Walk with a couple older tracks thrown in. Here's a 20+ minute live video -

Sounds good. After watching this video, Apparat is on my list.

Keep it coming, gang.

My list so far...

Definitely:
    Jack White
    Beck
    Beirut
    Feist
    Metric
    The Joy Formidable
    Santigold
    The Roots
    Explosions in the Sky
    Mogwai
    St. Vincent
    Little Dragon
    Wild Flag
    Spiritualized
    Dum Dum Girls
    Portlandia
    James Murphy
    Purity Ring
    Zola Jesus

Possibly:
    Beats Antique
    Apparat
    Tycho
    Little People
    STRFKR
    The Helio Sequence
    Kurt Vile
    Charles Bradley
    Polica
    Active Child
    I Break Horses
    Gary Clark Jr
    Hospitality
    The Staves
    Sheepdogs
    Awesome Tapes from Africa
    any and all comedy

Seen already and don't need to see again:
    M. Ward
    The Walkmen

Pass:
    Bon Iver
    Pretty Lights
    Tenacious D
    The Shins
    tune-yards
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    SBTRKT (would watch if Yukimi was singing, but Little Dragon is two days later, so I don't see it happening)

What should I focus on next?

James Murphy (dj set)

The former LCD Soundsystem frontman spins disco vinyl at his DJ sets. This means no "Pon de Floor", no whatever this year's "Pon" is, and no dubstep, which makes it a set worth checking out on that merit alone.

Hey Rosetta!

These guys are one of the Canadian acts on the bill. They're from eastern Canada much like a lot of, in my opinion, the better Canadian acts come from. No offense BC. They don't just use guitar, bass, and drums either but include instruments like the piano and they've even have a cello in there. The band has put out three full length albums as well as numerous EPs. I kinda feel like they're the product of if the Counting Crows and Arcade Fire had a baby and it was born in Canada with free healthcare. Yeah, they're layered.

Last edited by OnlyNonStranger; 02-26-2012 at 12:51 PM.