Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neil Young (and Crazy Horse)

Default Re: Neil Young (and Crazy Horse)

It doesn't affect me because I look at the internet as the new radio. I look at the radio as gone. [...] Piracy is the new radio. That's how music gets around. [...] That's the radio. If you really want to hear it, let's make it available, let them hear it, let them hear the 95 percent of it.
    -Neil Young
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ty-sucks.shtml

Neil did a Q&A on Twitter today and had a few interesting answers among all the crap that people asked. Best among them:

Question: When are you going to reissue Time Fades Away? Answer: I remastered all of my albums and will reissue them when PONO is released.
    Pono is that new lossless music player or whatever that he's been working on. Time Fades Away has been out of print since the 70s and is one of his best albums. So excited!

Oh, and Psychedelic Pill is fantastic. Driftin' Back is a perfect way to start things.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Sweet Jesus, a song he played at the Bowl isnt even on this record. More music to come?! Amazing. Loving the album.

Yeah, he might have one other floating out there too. Although I wonder if he just does a few new songs on the inevitable live album that follows the tour.

They just keep on touring
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse 2013 tour:

Perth: March 2 - Perth Arena
    Adelaide: March 5 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre
    Brisbane: March 7 - Brisbane Entertainment Centre
    Hunter Valley: March 9 - A Day On The Green, Bimbadgen Winery
    Sydney: March 10 - Sydney Entertainment Centre
    Melbourne: March 15 - Rod Laver Arena
    Geelong: March 16 - The Hill Winery

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/15 Flying Lotus @ Terminal 5
    10/16 Flying Lotus @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick
    10/18 Ambivalent/Mike Dehnert @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Drugs have long been a part of Young's muse, and often the subject of his songs, particularly those he played with Crazy Horse. Marijuana was usually something he championed ("Roll Another Number"), while heroin was a darker dance, and it took away Danny Whitten, Crazy Horse's original guitar player, who Young argues was "every bit the artist that I am."

On his sobriety, Young writes, "I am now the straightest I have ever been since I was eighteen."

Young still wonders if he'll ever be able to write another song sober.

"I haven't yet," he reveals.

He knows the fact that he's stopped "smoking weed" will be a revelation to his fans, but he announces the news with the caveat "not that it matters much."
    http://seattletimes.com/html/musicni...0_young09.html

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I still crackup when I think back when Axel sang with Neil, "Don't let them bring you down"...... IMO, Neil looks ragged, almost balding, still wears grunge. He can still kick the fuck out of about half the current guitar players. One time a show at the Rocks, it was freezing, raining, Neil had one of those old style cowboy coats, and he kicked ass and we all danced and sang with the Man.......... He's the best.......cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I heard that - Neil is an unstoppable force. Period.
    Enjoy this guitar tuner and interactive tuning fork. Its freshhh

fuck yes! it looks like we might be getting more crazy horse shows...

Here's a nice interview with Poncho. They were playing for over 3 hours in Australia back in March...

When you guys toured last in America last year it was the same basic setlist night after night. What caused you to extend the show and break out so many rare songs when the tour his Australia?
    It's funny you say the setlist is the same almost every night. When I came home from the tour, my girl picked me up and she had a new car. I said, "Let's listen to your sound system." She had Psychedelic Pill and we put on "Walk Like a Giant." I listened to it and said to her, "We don't play that song anything like that anymore."

So, they were still brand new songs. They were evolving and changing, and it was pretty interesting. Then all of a sudden, one day at rehearsal Neil said we should change up some of the older songs. We played one or two of them one night, and then all of a sudden he just played five of them in a row without stopping. He just ended one, started the other…We all looked at him like, "What the fuck are you playing man?"

We had no idea he was going to do that. We did rehearse "Prisoners of Rock & Roll," but we didn't really rehearse "Love To Burn" at all. He played it in the dressing room on a piano, and then called for it that night as the second song. That was, like, insane, especially since Neil made more mistakes on it than anybody else.

I loved seeing "Barstool Blues" in the setlist.
    Oh, that was cool. We rehearsed that once at sound check. We didn't rehearse "Sedan Delivery" at all. We played it at rehearsals before the U.S. tour last summer and it was always kinda suckin'. When we played it live it was like we always played it. It was so much fun. We had a great time. "Danger Bird" was really cool. The only time we did that was sound check and Lake Tahoe.

Do you know what causes Neil to decide something like, "OK, tonight is the night for 'Barstool Blues?'"
    I have no idea, but what I really felt is that on this tour we're not able to ride buses because the distances between places was too far apart. We had to fly, and that meant a lot of days off, and pretty easy going days. I think everybody was feeling too relaxed, so I thought Neil just pulled those songs out and said, "Let's shake it up. Let's see what we can do."

He also extended some of the shows by a full hour.
    Tell me about it! [Laughs] What happened to "we're only going to play two hours?" [Laughs]
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-tour-20130417

NTRODUCING INTERLOCKEN MUSIC FESTIVAL

NEW 4-DAY MUSIC FESTIVAL TO TAKE PLACE SEPTEMBER 5 - 8 AT OAK RIDGE FARM IN ARRINGTON, VA, 35 MILES SOUTH OF CHARLOTTESVILLE

NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE, FURTHUR, ZAC BROWN,
    THE STRING CHEESE INCIDENT, THE BLACK CROWES.
    AND MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!

TICKETS GO ON SALE:

General "Early-Bird" On-Sale: May 23 at 10:00 am EST

Interlocken, a 4-day music festival, with an emphasis on world class music, locally sourced food and sustainability, is confirmed to take place September 5 - 8 at Oak Ridge Farm at the foot of the Blue Ridge in Central Virginia, a mere 35 miles south of Charlottesville, and approximately 100 miles from both Washington, DC, and Richmond, VA. Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Furthur, Zac Brown, The String Cheese Incident, and The Black Crowes will perform. Many of the artists will be performing at Interlocken over multiple days, and will be featured in unique and exciting artist pairings - with additional artists to be announced soon.

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick

I thought about skipping the Bridge but IDK, it would be my 11th and the lineup cr****

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    Tom Waits (Sunday Only)
    Queens of the Stone Age
    My Morning Jacket
    The Killers (Saturday Only)
    Elvis Costello
    Diana Krall
    fun.
    Heart
    Jenny Lewis
    Plus special guests
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I always say I'm going to skip Bridge School, but it's just such a nice, affordable, feel good show to end the concert season with. Plus, the money goes to a good cause. So, I'll be there on Saturday for my 18th time. I never regret going.

Please reschedule those east coast dates

Neil Young's 2014 touring plans are beginning to come into focus. In January he will follow up his four-night stand at Carnegie Hall in New York with four Canadian shows (featuring special guest Diana Krall) to raise money for the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation Legal Defense Fund. In the summer, he will return to Europe with Crazy Horse to make up some of the dates they canceled last summer after guitarist Frank "Poncho" Sampedro suffered a hand injury.

The January shows have been dubbed the "Honor the Treaties" concerts and they will aid the native Canadians in their battle against oil companies and the government to preserve their land. Tickets go on sale December 10th.

"A Legal Defense fund was set up to support the ACFN's legal challenges against oil companies and government that are obstructing their traditional lands and rights," says a press release announcing the tour. "As people of the land the ACFN have used and occupied their traditional lands in the Athabasca region for thousands of years, hunting, trapping, fishing and gathering to sustain themselves and continue spiritual cultural rights passed down through generations."

Young will perform at Carnegie Hall on January 6th, 7th, 9th and 10th. While it's unclear how the set lists will look, Young built his recent Farm Aid set around cover songs by 1960s and 1970s songwriting greats like Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, Tim Hardin and Phil Ochs. "[Ochs] was one of the greatest poets that ever lived," Young said from the stage. "Last time he appeared in public was at Carnegie Hall. He wore a gold lamé suit. He was a folk singer. He was a little bit sidetracked by fame and commerciality."

Young was referring to Ochs' infamous 1974 album Gunfight at Carnegie Hall, a recording of a 1970 concert where he mixed in covers by Buddy Holly, Merle Haggard and Elvis Presley with his own compositions. A bomb threat shortened the show and many fans booed during the covers. Despite the chaos, its a legendary night and it's possible Young is planning a similar mixture of covers and originals at his Carnegie Hall shows, though his camp has been silent on the matter.

Dates are just beginning to come in for Young's European summer tour with Crazy Horse. They will play London's Hyde Park on July 12th and there are reports of a show in Ulm, Germany, on July 20th.

It's unclear whether or not they plan on making up the canceled North American dates from earlier this year.

Here are the dates for the Canadian tour in January:

1/12 Toronto, ON – Massey Hall
    1/16 Winnipeg, MB – Centennial Concert Hall
    1/17 Regina, SK – Conexus Arts Centre
    1/19 Calgary, AB – Jack Singer Concert Hall
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-2014-20131209

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick

old school

That's the 2nd or 3rd solo Neil tour that's skipped Vancouver.

I hope NYCH reschedules some of the North American dates they cancelled as well. That Capitol Theatre run would have been great.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Not that next year is necessarily theirs, but they're likely going to happen soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    I am not necessarily predicting any of those three acts, though I regard all as possibilities to one degree or another, depending on various contingencies. If I did my own list, in my own way, most or all of the three would probably be alternative rather than primary selections, though again that's contingent, and a close call.

In case you missed it, Neil is playing four nights of solo acoustic shows at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.

Sat. March 29
    Sun. March 30
    Tue. April 1
    Wed. April 2

presale is going on right now for the April 2nd show. pw is earlybird.

Who's in and for which night? I was originally going to go on Sunday, but something came up so I'm going Wednesday, April 2nd instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I will be there with family on Sat, March 29th!

^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^

This show is not to be missed!!! He focused mostly on his early 70s era materials

FYI: He played the same exact setlist for four Carnegie Hall shows. It'll probably be the same thing for you guys in case anyone wants to go see him more than once...

Carnegie Hall setlist

Set 1:
    From Hank to Hendrix
    Helpless (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song)
    On the Way Home (Buffalo Springfield song)
    Only Love Can Break Your Heart
    Love in Mind
    Birds
    Mellow My Mind
    Are You Ready for the Country
    Someday
    Changes (Phil Ochs cover)
    Harvest
    Old Man

Set 2:
    Goin' Back
    A Man Needs a Maid
    Ohio (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young song)
    Southern Man
    Needle of Death (Bert Jansch cover)
    The Needle and the Damage Done
    Harvest Moon
    Flying on the Ground Is Wrong (Buffalo Springfield song) After the Gold Rush
    Journey Through the Past
    Heart of Gold

Encore:
    Comes a Time
    Long May You Run (The Stills-Young Band song)

Last edited by Spooks; 02-28-2014 at 03:01 PM.

10/14 Warpaint @ Webster
    10/18 Ben Frost @ Wick

^^^SPOILER ALERT^^^

omg i need to get tickets for this

Yeah spooks, could you edit that with a spoiler alert? I don't mind, but I know some people do. I can't wait for the show!

When are people going/where are they sitting? I'm going on saturday and I'm up in the top mezz.

I have to go out of town this weekend for work, so I have 2 tickets for the Sunday show that I need to get rid of. I paid $225 total for them so that's what I'm selling them for. PM me.

annnnndd....they're gone.
    Last edited by icedKeg; 03-26-2014 at 10:41 PM.

approximately what time have the Dolby shows been starting and ending?

No opening act, Neil Young slated for 8 but goes on closer to 8:10. About 2.5 hours with a 20 minute intermission.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

thanks dude!

Any time, enjoy!
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare