Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Times of Day That Coachella 2012 Artists Sing/Rap About

Default Re: Times of Day That Coachella 2012 Artists Sing/Rap About

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You sure they're not singing "Stockholm's cold"?
    I'm really not sure of anything, anymore. I consulted the internet last night, and two web sites apparently lied to me. It's "Stockholm's," which makes me even more confident about moving them where I did.

In Postcards From Italy, Beirut sings “…there were always golden rocks to throw…”. Golden Rocks are a euphemism for Fish Sticks. Coachella Stage 10:30pm Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Some of you are really bad at explicating thematic narrative. Just sayin'. Respect the process.

11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore
    11/21: DJ Harvey @ PW
    11/24: mr. Gnome @ Bottom of the Hill
    11/25: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist @ Fox Theater Oakland
    11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/4: Avi Buffalo @ Brick and Mortar
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/11: tUnE-yArDs, Cibo Matto @ Fox Theater Oakland
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

That's what I get for glossing over the thread as opposed to reading it.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

So what about when Soulwax played in 2007? They were playing in support of their Nite Versions album, and indeed were even identified on the set times in the festival guide as Soulwax - Nite Versions, but they played in the Sahara...from 4:50 to 5:50 pm. I was there and let me tell you, it was most definitely NOT night time. I thought, "Well, they do have that lyric about James Brown being dead," and when I first heard about his death, it was during the day time, so perhaps that was what swayed Paul Tollet to schedule them to play while it was still light out, but upon further research, it appears that Mr. Brown in fact passed away at 1:45 am EST, which would make it night time even under Pacific Standard Time, which would be the time that Mr. Tollet would undoubtedly consider when choosing to schedule an act. In addition, Soulwax has a song on said album called "E Talking," and while there are some drug addicts who choose to take Ecstasy during the day, it's widely accepted to be a drug to be enjoyed at night. So what Paul was thinking when he made that decision, I'll never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

<------------totaly confused about this thred

Of course you are. Of course.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Explosions in the Sky is clearly going to play inside of a Time Vacuum, courtesy of The Creator's Project. While this vacuum will exist outside of the normal time/space continuum, it is impossible to define an exact time of this performance. However, because of the involvement of The Creator's Project, it can be assumed that they will play on the Main Stage.

Further analysis of this song, along with their album titled "The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place," reveals that their performance will likely take place during the daytime when the moon is down, and the sun heats the earth. Interestingly, however, despite the heat and obvious sun we will almost surely see the first snowfall ever recorded on the Empire Polo Fields.

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

This is probably the funniest thread since the line up came out. Squeeze at 10am in the campground killed me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    it is impossible to define an exact time of this performance.
    Further analysis has revealed that their set will take place sometime during the year 1952.

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    Further analysis has revealed that their set will take place sometime during the year 1952.

By this reasoning, can it be concluded that Pulp's performance will take place in the year 2000?

Madness performs a song they call "Nightboat To Cairo," which is about a boat heading up the river Nile at night. This leads me to believe Madness will perform at night. Furthermore, Cairo is to the Southeast of the Empire Polo Fields, which means they must be playing the most South-Eastern stage if they plan on taking this Nightboat to Cairo. The stage being the Sahara. I know the Sahara is typically know to host "dance" acts, but I have seen Madness live and people definitely dance during their set. Furthermore, they use keyboards, which I have seen used in the Sahara several time, so I think Madness will fit.

So you may as well schedule Madness in for a night slot in the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Justice. You might assume their music is for the night. But they clearly state that AVD is music for the daytime and the countryside.

"Electronic music has always been portrayed as music for the night and cities,” says Xavier de Rosnay of electro-duo Justice, “so we were seduced by the idea of making an electronic record for the day and countryside.”

Which is why their videos for AVD all take place in a darken space world. I have to conclude that Justice will think they are performing during the day, while actually performing at night somewhere in Blythe. All of this is consistent with the notion that they have no fucking clue as to what they are doing.

Last edited by Timestretch; 02-08-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Well Jimmy Cliff sings "I can see clearly now the rain is gone."

So clearly means day, because who can see true clarity at night...
    and also he can only go on after the rain is gone

So jimmy cliff only performs after the rain when he can see clearly.

Adammm is the board's best new member.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Justice. You might assume their music is for the night. But they clearly state that AVD is music for the daytime and the countryside.

"Electronic music has always been portrayed as music for the night and cities,” says Xavier de Rosnay of electro-duo Justice, “so we were seduced by the idea of making an electronic record for the day and countryside.”
    Please tell me they really said this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

This line as well as others "Oh we've stayed much too late, they're cleaning up the ash trays" implies staying well beyond the end of "The Party"

St. Vincent will play sometime between 3 and 4 AM Sunday Morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Well done
    Last edited by pezasied; 02-10-2012 at 11:39 AM.

I have been scouring the Buzzcock's catalog for hints or clues. As with much powerful art, there are multiple ambiguities that make definitive conclusions unreliable. Much of their lyrical content focuses on questions of sexuality and relationships (and the resulting angst and tension) -- which might point to a nighttime slot or it might not. Self-doubt is timeless, after all.

So, what does the evidence provide us?

The only Buzzcocks song title that refers to either day or night is the ironic gem "Everybody's Happy Nowadays".

The thing is, though, "nowadays" does not literally mean daytime; it just means in the modern era. More importantly, they don't literally mean the title to be true -- this is irony in its purest literarly form, in which the writer says one thing but means exactly the opposite. So, if this song is supposed to create a sort of Spongebobian "Opposite Day" heuristic, it may be an indicator of a nighttime slot.

Now let us consider a second source: the classic diatribe "I Believe" from the great A Different Kind of Tension LP. In this song, Pete Shelley sings a list of things he (supposedly) believes in.. including "I believe I'm going to be late."

Now, what does "late" mean in this context? Does it mean a latenight slot, say 11pm in the Mojave? Or is it an indicator of something even more sinister: perhaps the Buzzcocks will pull a Sly Stone and miss their own set by several hours? On the surface this latter reading may appear to carry significant weight. And in fact this is where the misguided Slyists hold their faith.

But a deeper dig into the placement and context of the lyrics of "I Believe" show this interpretation to be shallow and inapt. For does Shelley really list things he literally believes in? Do we really think that he simultaneously believes in a Trotskyite "Workers Revolution", a proto-fascist "Final Solution", and a dogmatic Romish "Immaculate Conception"? Clearly these ideas are contradictory. Shelley is driving at something deeper in a nonlinear way. And in fact he gives us a clue to this at the very beginning of the song: "it's not my intention to make things plain."

No, the phrase "I believe I'm going to be late", when taken with this contextual placement, is seen as an allusion to the pressures on individuals in a world in which the greedy Corporate Masters try to wring every last effort out of the hapless minions. And this occurs in the daytime. People rush and hurry to get things during the day so that they can keep their Masters happy and then have an hour or two of free time in the evening to watch Simon Cowell cruelly victimize some talentless twit on national television. Then they drink themselves into a stupor, collapse in exhaustion, and wake the next morning to do it all over again.

Ambiguous time slot for a complex and riveting talent. 6pm, Mojave tent.
    Last edited by TomAz; 02-09-2012 at 08:23 AM.

I've done a bit of an Azealia Banks study this morning.

The lyrics of “212”, from what I can decipher, center around the sexual tension around some different people that I can’t quite determine. Talking about catching warm goo in a do rag and cunts getting eaten clearly indicate nighttime activities. Plus, the song title 212 is clearly a reference to the 212 area code in Manhattan—the city that never sleeps. There is a line about sitting in on the lunch if you’re buying, but there is also a line about licking my plum in the evening. Lunch could really mean dinner like it does in England. I get the feeling this lady sleeps in real late and gets up in the afternoon! Anyway, I feel like this could be a midnight set. Let’s move on to Needsumluv’.

NEEDSUMLUV'

In this song, we see the softer side of Azealia. Reminicient of the song “Secret Lovers” or “Dontcha”, the lyrics speak to a man that is giving Azalia the business but is continuing to stay with someone else, even though Azealia feels that he no longer loves her. I can’t help but feel that their affair is happening all the time, day or night, whenever they get the chance to be together. I sort of feel like he’s lying to his girlfriend about being out with the boys and really trucking it over to Azealia’s pad. Therefore, I’m still thinking this will be a midnight set.

Grand Scam

This is an incredibly tough one to decipher, since the song really just repeats *****, fuck, man, and scram/scam over and over again. I like the “bunnyfuck” line, but I have no idea what time bunnies prefer to fuck. But, there is a line about dumping a man in the river. Generally speaking, you should never dump a body in the river during the day. That’s just stupid.

Verdict: midnight set.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 02-09-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Please tell me they really said this.
    The quote is directly under the video.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...isco-interview

Hives: Coachella Stage, 1:00 PM

An excerpt from Hate to Say I Told You So, where the three most frequent words are “Wanna”, “Gonna”, and “Cause”:
    Do what I want cause I can and if I don't because I wanna be ignored by the stiff and the bored because I'm gonna
    Another excerpt from Wont’ be Long (Most frequent words: “Got”, “Goin”, “Gotta”, “Cause”.)
    Got me a ticket and I won't be long 'cause I can't go on and I gotta get goin'
    I’m pretty sure these guys are used to playing music during school, because clearly they skipped English Class. But did they skip every English class? Let’s see.

Here’s a look at some Dolch Sight Words they would have encountered in 1st grade. It looks eerily similar to The Hives library of lyrics.

Now, compare their lyrics to a list of 3rd grade words.

Good luck finding a Hives lyric as complex as “Strawberry”. Somewhere between 1st and 3rd grade they stopped going to English Class and started writing all their songs. It just confirms that “During School” will be the perfect timeslot for them.

Confirm them on the Main Stage because they will most certainly avoid the local grammar police who are known to frequent the Sahara Tent on the opposite end of the field.
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Wes, did you forget the Hives are Swedish?

Yes I did, BUT somehow the rest of the Swedish talent pool has been able to grace the polo fields with their advanced english diction.

A+ contributions from the Arizona contingent.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Yes I did, BUT somehow the rest of the Swedish talent pool has been able to grace the polo fields with their advanced english diction.
    MAKE SOME NOOOOOOIIISE is clearly vernacular coming from a second grader
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Is a primer on negotiating the difference between words-as-grammatical-units and thematic narrative in order? Some of us still seem to be struggling with the assignment.

You bitch about that but no notice of the use of the word 'heuristic'. Sad face.

"Hapless minions" was better.