Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloc 2012 - Featuring Orbital and shit like that.

Default Bloc 2012 - Featuring Orbital and shit like that.

Unhappy with the Sahara lineup? Get your sad sorry ass to London.

Orbital, Flying Lotus, Gary Numan, Ricardo Villalobos, Squarepusher, Battles, Jeff Mills, Carl Craig 69, Apparat Band, ATOL (Modeselektor, Marcel Dettman, Shed), Scuba, Shackleton, Ellen Allien, Sandwell District, DOOM, Four Tet, Actress, Clark, Martyn, Joy Orbison b2b Jackmaster, Raster Noton.

This year’s edition of Bloc, undoubtedly one of the world’s best festivals, will be held in East London’s Royal Victoria Dock.

The new site, situated near the Olympic complex, was designed by the same people who put together Glastonbury’s Shangri-La, and is centred around a 30 metre geodesic dome.

The festival will also continue to offer on-site accommodation - which, along with the impeccable sound and peerless lineups, was one of Bloc’s main selling points in its old home at Butlins Minehead.

According to organisers: “Bloc will also take advantage of the limitless versatility the venue has to offer by creating never-been-dreamed-of structures, including a vast custom-built main arena constructed from shipping containers.”

Bloc takes place on 6th and 7th July.

Update: this is what the site looks like from the air. They’re building six stages “on land and water”.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Default Re: Bloc 2012 - Featuring Orbital and shit like that.

Yum. That's how its done.

DO YOU SEE THIS GOLDENVOICE?

Good lord they could get 4 of those acts and save the lineup.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

WHERES THE BASS DROP???
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Wouldve loved to be the promoter calling these acts on the phone. ''hey, wanna dj on a floating stage that's maybe made out of a aircraft container?''

Once again Bloc is delivering a solid lineup. I need to remember this festival when I start planning future endeavors.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

The new site, situated near the Olympic complex, was designed by the same people who put together Glastonbury’s Shangri-La, and is centred around a 30 metre geodesic dome.
    For reference, this is what Shangri-La looked like:

8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Full lineup. Wow.

Friday 6 July

Snoop Dogg, Richie Hawtin, Amon Tobin: ISAM, Steve Reich, Ricardo Villalobos, DOOM, Jamie Jones, Carl Craig – 69, Nicolas Jaar, Joker, Hudson, Mohawke DJ, Shackleton, Joy Orbison b2b Jackmaster, Art Department, Sandwell District, Digital Mystikz, Steffi, Loefah, Billy Nasty, Addison Groove, Mosca, Nathan Fake, Ben Sims, Appleblim, Will Saul, Ray Keith, Ed DMX, Geddes, Xhin, Midland, T.Williams, Transparent Sound, Mark Archer [Altern 8], Dusky, Boddika, Pinch, Daniel Stefanik, Oneman, Deadboy, Redinho, Spencer, Andy Blake, Joe Hart, Isa GT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcases From:
    Resident Advisor, Mulletover, Union, Numbers vs Swamp81, Aus Music, World Unknown, I ❤ Acid, Boiler Room

Saturday 7 July

Orbital, Gary Numan, Flying Lotus, Jeff Mills, Squarepusher, Battles, A.T.O.L., Apparat Band, James Blake, Four Tet, Monolake, Scuba, Ellen Allien, Levon Vincent, Surgeon, Clark, Martyn, Actress, Hype Williams, Kode9, Luke Vibert, Tikiman with Scion, Alva Noto, Cosmin TRG, L Vis 1990 b2b Bok Bok, Jacques Greene, Cooly G, Jon Hopkins, Space Dimension Controller, Oneohtrix Point Never, Ikonika, Untold, Byetone, RadioNasty, Pariah, Arpanet, Illum Sphere, SND, Perc, Objekt, Lucy, Truss, Scratcha DVA, Terror Danjah, Ceephax Acid Waltzers, Al Tourettes, Alis, ADJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcases From:
    Resident Advisor, Hyperdub, Raster-Noton, Bleep, Plex vs Perc Trax
    Last edited by Ross1492; 06-12-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Jesus. I thought the Friday lineup was the entire thing at first and was pretty damned impressed. Then I scrolled down. Although, honestly, that is just way too stacked. That's pretty much nothing but brutal conflicts all day. Also, I know you need a headliner to bring in the masses, but Snoop Dogg is such a weird fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Jesus. I thought the Friday lineup was the entire thing at first and was pretty damned impressed. Then I scrolled down. Although, honestly, that is just way too stacked. That's pretty much nothing but brutal conflicts all day. Also, I know you need a headliner to bring in the masses, but Snoop Dogg is such a weird fit.
    Agreed.

Wow - just wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    . Although, honestly, that is just way too stacked. That's pretty much nothing but brutal conflicts all day.
    Isn't it? Oh, but what a great problem to have! Very envious of those going to this shindig.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

It's just not fair.

Joy Orbison b2b Jackmaster? Damn.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Apparat>Gary Numan>James Blake>Orbital>Flying Lotus>Squarepusher>ATOL>Ellen Alien

This night beats out any night of any festival I've ever been to. I need to move to Europe
    5/17 Chet Faker
    5/25 EDC NY (2manydjs!!!!)
    7/18-7/20 Melt Festival

The set times for this thing looks unreal. I'd love to hear how it sounds aboard the Stubnitz.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Joy Orbison b2b Jackmaster? Damn.
    Joy Orbison was the best dj set I saw at Coachella 2011. So great, damn what a lineup.

Friday would be relatively conflict-free for me, but seriously, fuck Saturday- that day has conflicts everywhere you look.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

As much fun as I had at Sonar, I'm really second guessing myself. There are maybe a dozen or so acts on that lineup that I wouldn't want to see. The rest... grrrr....

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    As much fun as I had at Sonar, I'm really second guessing myself. There are maybe a dozen or so acts on that lineup that I wouldn't want to see. The rest... grrrr....
    You made the right choice. Apparently they overbooked and the police shut this down for the weekend. Full refunds are being given. Some angry people on the Fb page right now.

https://www.facebook.com/blocwknd/po...51085716348023
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 07-06-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: add link

Geezus, that sucks. The lineup and set times were too good to be true....

Plus, honestly, the portion of the crowds that were awful at Sonar events were invariably the Brits.

If this goes bankrupt, GV should swipe whoever has the connections to pull this lineup off.

GV is clearly not interested in these types of bookings.

sadly that is the truth

Damn. I just heard what happened Hopefully they can figure what exactly happened and make it happen again next year.....

It goes without saying that last night at Bloc was what can only be described as a shit show – however, we don’t want to cast blame at anyone unreasonably and without actually knowing what went on.

It was shut down last night at about 12.30am and today has been cancelled - a full statement from the organisers can be found here.

As you may have gathered from our recent posts, we were at Bloc and very excited about it – it was a wicked line up and the venue sounding amazing. Indeed when we got there is looked amazing, though some of it was half painted.

The queue was ridiculous, taking hours for people to get in and looking as if it gave rise to The Never Ending Story. There's certainly more than a certain irony to the fact the ticketing was done through Crowd Surge.

This wasn’t the only issue. As soon as we were in it was quite obvious that too many people were there for the site. This was at about 9pm and although we guessed it would be difficult to get on the MS Stubnitz (the German boat-cum-club) the fact that some of our friends couldn’t get into the main arena for DOOM was concerning, and so after waiting 45-minutes for Snoop Dogg to come on afterwards it wasn’t surprising the thing was called off.

There were other problems with the event. As mentioned the site seemed half complete in places, one of the bars had run out of beer by 11pm and the sound was poor, highlighted by the fact we were having conversations amongst ourselves while stood 20-meters from the stage.

It’s obviously a bit of a nightmare and we are really disappointed and feel disappointed for everyone who traveled to the event. We hope whatever went wrong becomes obvious and people can get their ticket money back.

But if course if you want to imagine what it could have been like, listen to our show where we previewed the event… Just replace all the referenced to ‘it’s going to be amazing’ to ‘it’s going to be a bit shit.’

http://radioclubfoot.blogspot.co.uk/...nightmare.html

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Hopefully they can figure what exactly happened and make it happen again next year.....
    Why on earth would they want it to be shit again next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

That's really sad. I can't tell you how enviously we've all been viewing this festival. I'm starting to lose hope on festivals in general, really.

Two of my friends stayed an extra weekend in europe to go to saturday of bloc... such a let down i was really excited for them
    5/17 Chet Faker
    5/25 EDC NY (2manydjs!!!!)
    7/18-7/20 Melt Festival

If this lineup is getting overbooked i dont understand how a promoter with half a brain couldnt make hay with this same concept.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."