Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Set Time Predictions - SATURDAY

Default Re: Set Time Predictions - SATURDAY

Hey, someone else with a Minus The Bear-inspired username. Schweet.
    12/6: Japandroids/DIIV
    1/10: Mister Lies/Matthewdavid

When did we start emailing bands booking agents about their Coachella set times last year? I want to say that it was the week before they were released.

I had been emailing bands as early as now; I remember getting responses from The Morning Benders & The Rural Alberta Advantage about a week and a half or so out.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i think nolan might have busted that with all the emailing about roo and sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I e-mailed Madness and they told me they couldn't tell me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Nobody is going to like this, but I'm going to float it anyway. So we have two acts on this day that, theoretically, require stages around them be closed: Godspeed, and Mangum. Could they play at the same time? They wouldn't sound bleed each other out. I know Godspeed needs 70-90 minutes and Mangum will probably have a more traditional 50 minute set, but what would happen if the Mojave and Main shut down, Mangum gets Outdoor, and Godspeed gets Gobi with their set extending through Mangum's set up or breakdown time? Sahara could be Sub Focus or Martin Solveig or whatever is going down at that time, and the sound bleed probably wouldn't reach the Gobi.

Not popular, because I'd imagine that many here would like to see both, but could that be one way to solve it?

They are both rare, so that would go against Coachella's previous scheduling strategies, but Mangum will get drowned out by just about anybody and is billed high enough to get special treatment, and those that know Godspeed better than I do have mentioned they would probably have negotiated to make sure their set time and placement is conducive to their act.
    Last edited by travelfan; 03-26-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph

old school

You could still see 40 minutes of each and both have side shows in California.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    But Angello and Axwell were the highest billed Sahara acts of their night, Ingrosso is third (even though the cheese level is ridiculous, the Sahara has infinitely more starpower this year).
    highest billed doesn't mean go on last, it usually doesn't work out that way
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

old school

Plus somebody earlier in the thread said they read some article or saw some interview where Guetta said he would close out the Sahara. There was no link so, given the board, the credibility could be less than zero, but it's worth mentioning. I see the progression going Ingrosso --> Kaskade --> Guetta.
    i believe Guetta was highest billed last time he played in '10..he did not go on last
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Nobody is going to like this, but I'm going to float it anyway. So we have two acts on this day that, theoretically, require stages around them be closed: Godspeed, and Mangum. Could they play at the same time? They wouldn't sound bleed each other out. I know Godspeed needs 70-90 minutes and Mangum will probably have a more traditional 50 minute set, but what would happen if the Mojave and Main shut down, Mangum gets Outdoor, and Godspeed gets Gobi with their set extending through Mangum's set up or breakdown time? Sahara could be Sub Focus or Martin Solveig or whatever is going down at that time, and the sound bleed probably wouldn't reach the Gobi.

Not popular, because I'd imagine that many here would like to see both, but could that be one way to solve it?

They are both rare, so that would go against Coachella's previous scheduling strategies, but Mangum will get drowned out by just about anybody and is billed high enough to get special treatment, and those that know Godspeed better than I do have mentioned they would probably have negotiated to make sure their set time and placement is conducive to their act.
    Possible, but Godspeed will not be given a 70-90 minute set...they still tour fairly regularly and aren't that big of an individual draw...they will be given 50 minutes like every other act situated around them on the poster...expect one track from skinny fists and one other and that will be their set.

Godspeed would not have agreed to play if they were to have under 70 minutes. I think they will have 90 minutes or possibly more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    highest billed doesn't mean go on last, it usually doesn't work out that way
    I adressed this very point a couple pages ago. But the summary is that that used to be true, but the past two years it has been less so. Last year, twice the highest billed act (Angello and Axwell) went against the headliner, and once the highest billed EDM act (Chem Bros) was on main, but the highest billed Sahara act (Sasha) went against the headliner. Boys Noize closed out the tent, but Sasha was the one against the headliner.

The year before, Deadmau5 was highest Sahara and went against the headliner, Guetta was highest Sahara and had half his set conflict, and Orbital was highest Sahara but was likely scheduled in their odd early/short slot because they were rare and GV likes to make sure everybody can see the really rare acts.

So in the past two years, the highest billed Sahara conflicted against the headliner 4 times, and half conflicted once. So all I'm saying is that I fail to see why Guetta wouldn't be able to play against the headliner, especially if it's a headliner that he shares no fan base overlap with (I'm sure there were Deadmau5/Jay-Z fans and Axwell/Kanye fans). If Justice and SHM are on the main, then everybody is already calling an Afrojack/Black Keys conflict and an Avicii/Dre conflict anyway. I think Angello and Axwell went against the headliner because they were billed highest, not because they had a SHM connection. So I think Guetta will be against Radiohead, not Ingrosso. Causation does not equal correlation.

/agreed ^^

So, in the past two years, the highest billed act in the Sahara conflicted directly with the headliner four times
    Yeah, but I think it's best to think not in terms of highest billed Sahara act but rather highest billed electronic act. Because The Chemical Brothers and Tiesto were definitely the biggest edm acts of the day and obviously didn't conflict with the headliners, therefore maintaining the tradition of them not conflicting.

I am not a fan of the Radiohead vs Flying Lotus conflict. Which act should close the Mojave during Radiohead in his place?
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Yeah, but I think it's best to think not in terms of highest billed Sahara act but rather highest billed electronic act. Because The Chemical Brothers and Tiesto were definitely the biggest edm acts of the day and obviously didn't conflict with the headliners, therefore maintaining the tradition of them not conflicting.

I am not a fan of the Radiohead vs Flying Lotus conflict. Which act should close the Mojave during Radiohead in his place?
    You almost know it's going to be some sort of small, what the fuck? band. Like Squeeze. Or The Big Pink. Or Childish Gambino.

That would be pretty funny if The Big Pink ended up clashing with Thom twice in a row.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

i thought about the big pink as well. mostly because it seems like no one gives a fuck about them anymore.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Why couldn't it be A$ap Rocky?

Oh, nevermind.

The Big Pink just posted a pic on Facebook which says they're playing the Mojave Stage!

BAM

I am way into this:
    Godspeed>Flying Lotus>SBTRKT>Radiohead>ASAP Rocky and still get to see Azealia earlier in the day. Hope it goes down like this
    7/10 - California Saga [Beach Boys kids] -- Grammy Museum
    7/14 - oOoOO/Nguzunguzu -- The Complex?
    7/27 - Psychic Paramount -- The Satellite?
    8/2 - Scuba/Machine Drum -- Los Globos
    8/3-4 - Squarepusher, araabMUZIK, John Talabot -- HARD Summer
    8/13 - Grandaddy -- Fonda Theater?
    9/1-2 - James Blake, Tanlines, John Maus, Liars, Twin Shadow -- FYF Fest?
    9/23 - Animal Collective/Flying Lotus -- Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - Beach House -- The Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I'm just saying that Axwell and Angello were also the top billed Sahara/electronic names on their day and that's probably why they closed out the Sahara, not that Paul Tollett thinks it will be fun to have all the members of Swedish House Mafia close out the Sahara to make it all fair and even. Also, Tiesto and the Chems couldn't conflict with the headliners even if they tried, they had to play the same stage. Last year everybody had Chems going against KOL in these threads until it was revealed Chems would be on the main.

If this was Guetta vs. Dre maybe they would try to avoid the conflict, but Guetta vs. Radiohead? I can't think of two more disparate top billed names for the entire weekend.

It makes me a little sad that SBTRKT has 30 minutes conflicting with Radiohead, but I am happy to see that Jeff Magnum and Kaiser Chiefs do not conflict with each other.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

schedule looks pretty damn good, no serious conflicts.

I don't think Andrew Bird will be that early in the mojave, he is way too big for that
    The Replacements --> The Knife --> Outkast

I love these set times

What's with Suedehead on the mainstage. I think Paul would book someone who actually has fans on the main...
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Looks a lot better. I think we may be getting closer. I'm thinking andrew bird is going to get an outdoor spot. Sahara is going ingrosso > Kaskade > Guetta or Kaskade > ingrosso > guetta

It's hard to figure out who will be going to Go head to head with Radiohead. Just thought of this one. ...Anyone think Feist in the Mojave VS. Radiohead?