Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Set Time Predictions - SATURDAY

Default Re: Set Time Predictions - SATURDAY

This is my first year coming to coachella so not to sure what time the sun sets but from what i've heard sub focus is bringing his light show so hes definately going on late.

100% he is going on at night.. cant wait!

ya sub focus after dark

and to whoever said gary clark jr on the mainstage or outdoor needs to read the post in this thread saying he was confirmed in gobi already

Quote Originally Posted by kerby14 View Post
    ya sub focus after dark

and to whoever said gary clark jr on the mainstage or outdoor needs to read the post in this thread saying he was confirmed in gobi already
    That was from KCRW with Jason Bentley, where people have claimed he is unreliable. You should read the whole post in this thread to know that already.
    The Replacements --> The Knife --> Outkast

Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    Seriously. What kind of an asshole promises consistent updates and then there's virtually nothing nearly 2 months later?
    lol

I know these threads are pretty much dead, but I've been thinking about the close of this day.

I really think David Guetta will close the Sahara with some extended cheesefest. I cannot think of any significant fan overlap between Radiohead and Guetta. Zero. If there is, it's the kind of thing like, "Ooooh, I love Radiohead because they do that song Creep, I would see them I guess", or "David Guetta? Hmm maybe if I want to dance a little bit and there is nobody playing that I like." I can't fathom who would seriously be gunning to see both acts. Jigga and Deadmau5 I can, Radiohead and Guetta I can't.

Also, David Guetta, whether you love him or hate him (I am firmly in the "hate" camp, by the way) is huge to the point where people were questioning if he'd fit in the Sahara. Put him against the headliner and he certainly can. In this case, put Ingrosso where Kaskade is, Kaskade where Guetta is, and Guetta where Ingrosso is. In exchange for going against the headliner, Guetta gets a long set where he can do his whole robots and Nicki Minaj thing. I think he'll be more than fine with that.

If that's the case, and you have two huge draws at the same time, then the other two stages would have to be a complete 180 in terms of fan base. I think A$AP makes sense closing a stage, because he's nowhere near poppy enough to compete with Guetta, and probably a little too "swagged out" and aggressive to create too many RH/A$AP conflicts. I think, as much as it pains me to say it because I'm setting myself up for conflicts, but move Flying Lotus down a bit so he still plays at night but doesn't conflict with Radiohead, and move somebody up from a genre that would be the last element in a RH/Guetta/A$AP conflict...Black Lips?

In your Radiohead/Guetta/A$AP case, I actually agree Flying Lotus would play earlier (barring that I have a feeling that he will be playing earlier anyway, simply because a Radiohead/FlyLo conflict just seems too aggravating). But with Radiohead and Guetta (two of the biggest performers in their respective genres) going head to head, I couldn't see another performer who would cross paths with either genre also playing. Flying Lotus' genre would be a prime example of crossing both paths: the experimental nature of Radiohead and the EDM nature of Guetta (no matter how different the two may seem). With Flying Lotus' set being a debut of his new album, I am hoping that Goldenvoice give him an appropriate time: one where he can debut it to as many people as possible.

Black Lips. It has to be. Unless I'm missing something obvious, in this hypothetical situation all of the indie and quiet leaning stuff is out because of a RH conflict, most of the fun pop stuff or EDM leaning stuff is out because of Guetta, and hip-hop is out because of A$AP. Rowdy, drunken, flower punk party to end the night? I think enough people would be down for that to fill up the Mojave at least half way full (not that Black Lips give a shit about how many people show up), even with going against Radiohead and Guetta. It's painful for me to say this because A$AP and Black Lips were both really high on my list, but that seems more likely than Flying Lotus against RH.

Guetta will be on during Bon Iver... the end
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Black Lips. It has to be. Unless I'm missing something obvious, in this hypothetical situation all of the indie and quiet leaning stuff is out because of a RH conflict, most of the fun pop stuff or EDM leaning stuff is out because of Guetta, and hip-hop is out because of A$AP. Rowdy, drunken, flower punk party to end the night? I think enough people would be down for that to fill up the Mojave at least half way full (not that Black Lips give a shit about how many people show up), even with going against Radiohead and Guetta. It's painful for me to say this because A$AP and Black Lips were both really high on my list, but that seems more likely than Flying Lotus against RH.
    You think they will make the black lips close against the headliner again? I could see fIREHOSE closing it with most likely an extremely small crowd size but with a somewhat cult following and the people would be pleased.
    The Replacements --> The Knife --> Outkast

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpie View Post
    You think they will make the black lips close against the headliner again? I could see fIREHOSE closing it with most likely an extremely small crowd size but with a somewhat cult following and the people would be pleased.
    They made the Presets do it.

That's actually a really good case for Guetta against Radiohead, I hadn't thought of that. I hope that actually happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpie View Post
    They won't hesitate to give any small act this shitty slot just in case there is a fringe group that doesn't care the world about the indie headliner but can't stand the cheesiness in the Sahara. R.I.P Daedalus 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    They won't hesitate to give any small act this shitty slot just in case there is a fringe group that doesn't care the world about the indie headliner but can't stand the cheesiness in the Sahara. R.I.P Daedalus 2011
    Yea. Throbbing Gristle was booked during The Cure in 2009. I remember halfway through The Cures set deciding to wander the polo grounds toward the sahara, and noticed throbbing gristle "playing" to a crowd of like 200 people.

That crowd was so small, it made me sad.

old school

i see Sebastian Ingrosso closing just like axwell and angello did last year..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    i see Sebastian Ingrosso closing just like axwell and angello did last year..
    But Angello and Axwell were the highest billed Sahara acts of their night, Ingrosso is third (even though the cheese level is ridiculous, the Sahara has infinitely more starpower this year). Could the billing have had more to do with closing the tent rather than the Swedish House Mafia connection? This is an honest question. In 2011, two nights the highest billed Sahara acts conflicted with the headliner, while on Friday the highest billed EDM act played the main while the second highest EDM act, and the highest billed Sahara (Sasha), conflicted with the headliner. In 2010, Deadmau5 (the highest billed Sahara act, LCD played main) conflicted directly with the headliner, Guetta (the highest billed Sahara act) had at least half his set conflict with Muse, and then there's Orbital who played for 50 minutes at an awkward slot because they were so rare and PT was likely trying to make sure everybody could see all of the ultra rare acts.

So, in the past two years, the highest billed act in the Sahara conflicted directly with the headliner four times, half conflicted once, and didn't conflict at all once (for Orbital, on a day that was notoriously overbooked with rare must see acts). Given that Guetta is a repeat and about as rare as red eyes at a Cypress Hill show, why is everybody so sure that he won't go against a headliner that there is absolutely no fan overlap with? To make everything "fair" for Sebastian after he got to close out the main stage the night before? What is Paul Tollett, a baby boomer parent?

Plus somebody earlier in the thread said they read some article or saw some interview where Guetta said he would close out the Sahara. There was no link so, given the board, the credibility could be less than zero, but it's worth mentioning. I see the progression going Ingrosso --> Kaskade --> Guetta.

^^
    YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

All I ask for on Saturday is Kaskade and FlyLo NOT CONFLICTING
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Guetta can easily conflict with the headliner. I don't know anyone who would see a "conflict" between Radiohead and David Guetta.

guetta going up against radiohead makes total sense. he can still pack the sahara tent with a huge crowd. i have a feeling this years coachella, the ravers will be the majority. kandi will rule the fields in 2012

Maybe weekend 2 but I think weekend one will have the average mix of hipsters, ravers, bros, actual music lovers, and the occasional jaded EDM lover
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Maybe weekend 2 but I think weekend one will have the average mix of hipsters, ravers, bros, actual music lovers, and the occasional jaded EDM lover
    Agreed especially since almost all of the weekend one passes were sold during the pre-sale.

Kaiser Chiefs vs Jeff Magnum. Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Gary Clark Jr. will not be playing at night. He gave a statement saying he would be playing saturday night, but he just meant saturday.

Seriously, he's billed in the last spot of the second to last line and you have him playing at 9:15. He only has an EP and a few cover's worth of songs to work with, he wont be on that late/long.

He's awesome and all, and i will be seeing him, but he wont be starting his set later than 2, i guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Kaiser Chiefs vs Jeff Magnum. Ouch.
    I am not a Mangum fan so easy choice for me.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genowarp View Post
    guetta going up against radiohead makes total sense. he can still pack the sahara tent with a huge crowd. i have a feeling this years coachella, the ravers will be the majority. kandi will rule the fields in 2012

HEADLINES FROM THE FUTURE

'Coachella Festival Double Weekend Marred by Drug-Related Deaths'
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by CoachellaVet09 View Post
    Gary Clark Jr. will not be playing at night. He gave a statement saying he would be playing saturday night, but he just meant saturday.

Seriously, he's billed in the last spot of the second to last line and you have him playing at 9:15. He only has an EP and a few cover's worth of songs to work with, he wont be on that late/long.

He's awesome and all, and i will be seeing him, but he wont be starting his set later than 2, i guarantee
    Thinks he has all the answers

Hes a coachella veteran, man. He's been droppin knowledge since '09.