Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Set Time Predictions - FRIDAY

Default Re: Set Time Predictions - FRIDAY

M83 in the Sahara? *facepalm*

M83 on the outdoor is what i would like to see happen (Not closing it out)

Amon on the Sahara

SHM on the Main (Drawing away all of the bros and e-heads)
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

For those of you who think Amon won't close the Sahara who will? And no to m83 in the Sahara. They are looking like an outdorr night slot

Quote Originally Posted by Thisismyname View Post
    Because everyone was cutting a rug at Plastikman, right?
    ISAM makes Plastikman's minimal tech sound pretty accessible by comparison. I hesitate to even call ISAM music, in the traditional sense. It's basically an hour of experimental soundscapes and bares no resemblance to dance music in any way. Part of me hopes it is in the Sahara, just so any of the slack-jawed ravers that were too high to realize Swedish House Mafia was on the mainstage have to stand there and contemplate their existence for a moment.

Also, my boy Jason Statham disputes your belief that people were not dancing at Plastikman. @3:46

^ Too logical.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Allow me to summarize this conversation, if you will
    "I think Amon Tobin will close the Sahara because a lot of people would want another EDM show to watch besides SHM and every other act on friday has the same fans as SHM."
    "OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO STUPID AMON TOBIN ISN'T RAVE MUSIC"
    "...no, that's not what i mean, I just meant they might use the sahara stage for amon tobin since all the ravers will be at the main"
    "LOL THIS RETARD THINKS AMON TOBIN IS RAVE MUSIC"
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

It's a lonely world for a reasonable man these days. Curse me and my isolated tower of indecipherable logic!

Maybe work on something else besides Amon Tobin

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Also, my boy Jason Statham disputes your belief that people were not dancing at Plastikman. @3:46
    Pretty cool. I never pegged Statham for a raver.

I don't think anybody is arguing Amon Tobin is an obvious Sahara choice, but if we think SHM is on the main (which with the billing, production, egos, and Friday headliner involved, this seems like a no brainer) then there are only nine Sahara acts on Friday. Unless there are some seriously extended sets (lulz, for who, Afrojack?), adds (not likely), or the Sahara is closing early, there are going to be some left of center Sahara choices.

The unconventional acts that have been suggested in this thread are M83, The Rapture, Amon Tobin, Midnight Beast, Neon Indian. I think M83 and Neon Indian are absolutely Outdoor and/or Mojave acts. The Rapture has done it before, and could theoretically do it again. If the Midnight Beast does it, no way they get more than thirty minutes (ala Die Antwoord or Rye Rye). Amon Tobin, in my opinion, would only be in the Sahara if he conflicts with SHM. I'm not arguing it's a logical choice, but somebody weird is going to be in there, and I think it'll be Amon Tobin or The Rapture. Neither is perfect, but seriously, who else?

You think Amon Tobin is going to close the SAHARA over Afrojack? Haaaa.

His set up can fit on almost any stage. He'll be in the Mojave.

"Swedish House Mafia is for sure closing the main stage, therefor, Amon Tobin will be in the Sahara."

Or, on the other hand, you take Saturday 2010's Sahara times and assume Midnight Beast is the Die Antwoord. There are only nine acts (outside of DA) there too. Then the question is, who is the 2ManyDJs to Tiesto/SHM? The Sahara is so homogeneous this year, who would they put against SHM?

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkevil View Post
    You think Amon Tobin is going to close the SAHARA over Afrojack? Haaaa.

His set up can fit on almost any stage. He'll be in the Mojave.

"Swedish House Mafia is for sure closing the main stage, therefor, Amon Tobin will be in the Sahara."
    Swedish House Mafia vs. Afrojack? That makes no sense. The fanbase is identical, and nobody would stay to watch Afrojack.

So I guess Amon Tobin is the only other option (even though it makes absolutely no sense).

The Rapture (who closed the dance tent in 2007) would close the Sahara over Amon Tobin.

So I guess Amon Tobin is the only other option (even though it makes absolutely no sense).

The Rapture (who closed the dance tent in 2007) would close the Sahara over Amon Tobin.
    Just a couple posts above you, you can clearly see where I say Amon Tobin doesn't make sense, but neither does anybody else. In that same post I suggest The Rapture is just as likely. So...

Quote Originally Posted by seitron View Post
    Allow me to summarize this conversation, if you will
    "I think Amon Tobin will close the Sahara because a lot of people would want another EDM show to watch besides SHM and every other act on friday has the same fans as SHM."
    "OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO STUPID AMON TOBIN ISN'T RAVE MUSIC"
    "...no, that's not what i mean, I just meant they might use the sahara stage for amon tobin since all the ravers will be at the main"
    "LOL THIS RETARD THINKS AMON TOBIN IS RAVE MUSIC"
    I think you just summed up 98% of this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

The fact that The Rapture closed the Sahara 5 years ago holds no relevance with a lineup like this year's. The Sahara has shifted so greatly that having a live "electronic" rock band close the Sahara is really far-fetched. Although Amon's music is clearly not "rave music," his position and status as a DJ makes sense as a Sahara act barring that SHM is closing the main. I'd agree that if SHM was not on the main, Amon would not come near the Sahara, but that isn't the case. SHM is the biggest electronic act of Friday and if any other cheese-house DJs (AKA all other Sahara choices) were to close against SHM, they'd have an absolutely empty tent. So, by process of elimination, we are left with the left-field choice for a Sahara DJ: Amon Tobin.

Mazzy Star is billed as and arguably a bigger "get" than Elbow. I don't see them playing sunset-ish in the Mojave. I'm also a biased slut that doesn't want them to conflict with Pulp or Refused.

Don't EDM acts usually close the main on Saturdays (ala Tiesto in 2010 & Chemical Bros in 2011) and NOT on Fridays? And since Friday is so light with true EDM acts I find it hard to believe that SHM will close the main on a night when they are the only true EDM act playing after 10pm. The Sahara is a huge tent and well large enough to hold all 20,000 of the rave junkies that chose them over the 4 other acts playing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    Mazzy Star is billed as and arguably a bigger "get" than Elbow. I don't see them playing sunset-ish in the Mojave. I'm also a biased slut that doesn't want them to conflict with Pulp or Refused.
    Every year, a couple high billed acts play the Mojave. Robyn, who everyone assume would be outdoor, played the mojave last year, for example. Based on the other high billed acts this year, Mazzy Star makes the most sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by latexsolarbeef View Post
    Don't EDM acts usually close the main on Saturdays (ala Tiesto in 2010 & Chemical Bros in 2011) and NOT on Fridays? And since Friday is so light with true EDM acts I find it hard to believe that SHM will close the main on a night when they are the only true EDM act playing after 10pm. The Sahara is a huge tent and well large enough to hold all 20,000 of the rave junkies that chose them over the 4 other acts playing at the same time.
    Chemical Brothers were Friday last year. I think the prediction is based on the combination of the high billing (the last time an artist billed second played anything other than the main was Daft Punk in 2006), the huge production, and the fact that of the three headliners, The Black Keys are the only one that would make sense not closing. Radiohead and Dre/Snoop will clearly close. If they were billed where Guetta and Justice are, then I'd say Sahara makes sense, but they are second on their day. That says main to me.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Chemical Brothers were Friday last year.
    You are correct sir or madam... I should have done more research, sorry. Main stage for SHM it is...

Quote Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
    The fact that The Rapture closed the Sahara 5 years ago holds no relevance with a lineup like this year's. The Sahara has shifted so greatly that having a live "electronic" rock band close the Sahara is really far-fetched. Although Amon's music is clearly not "rave music," his position and status as a DJ makes sense as a Sahara act barring that SHM is closing the main. I'd agree that if SHM was not on the main, Amon would not come near the Sahara, but that isn't the case. SHM is the biggest electronic act of Friday and if any other cheese-house DJs (AKA all other Sahara choices) were to close against SHM, they'd have an absolutely empty tent. So, by process of elimination, we are left with the left-field choice for a Sahara DJ: Amon Tobin.
    Amon Tobin isn't a DJ. He'll be in the Mojave.

Amon Tobin isn't a DJ. He'll be in the Mojave.
    The Ting Tings are a band, but they were in the sahara?!

my-hair-is-a-bird-your-argument-is-invalid-nicolas-cage.jpg

Ting Tings make dance music. Madonna's music is also dancey. So are other "offbeat Sahara acts" like Late of the Pier.

There's no logical reason to believe Amon Tobin will be in the Sahara.

Odd Future's not dancey.

Amon Tobin on acid would be fun. He should be in the sahara. That's logical, or am i on acid? fuck.

You all make me violently ill.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    You all make me violently ill.
    nah, that's just your pms

think wallpaper will open the gobi now?

thoughts on ximena sarinana opening the main stage?