Page 1 of 24 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Set Time Predictions - FRIDAY

Default Set Time Predictions - FRIDAY

Welcome to the Coachella Message Board's Set Time Predictions Threads!

HOW DOES IT WORK?
    The template you see below WILL BE UPDATED REGULARLY based on our own discussions and theories pertaining to the MOST likely scheduling scenario for this year's festival.
    I act as a mediator in the discussion and will be responsible for updating the original post. These are not my predictions. These are our predictions.
    Anyone is free to participate! Suggestions are welcomed!
    And remember...
    THESE ARE NOT REAL TIMES. ONLY PREDICTIONS. IT'S A PUZZLE.

Updated by Boourns: 3/14 @ 9:23 pm
    Last edited by clumsy342; 03-15-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Default Re: Set Time Predictions - FRIDAY

do these

Girls and M. Ward should swap.

M83 and Mazzy Star should swap. Yeah yeah, I see the billing but M83 is going to be huge. I'm thinking kind of setup Empire of the Sun was in last year.

Refused might as well go on a bit later, say when Black Keys finish. I think the bands closing the stages works well overall.

hahaha I also agree that SHM will be closing out the main stage... remember the whole chemical brothers argument about this last year? classic! and who was right anyone remember? lmao

The inevitable conflict between either Refused, The Rapture, or M83 has me very sad

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon66 View Post
    The inevitable conflict between either Refused, The Rapture, or M83 has me very sad
    See M83 in pomona night/week before. In this situation watch all of Refused and limp over to watch 90% of Rapture.

These look really good Clumsy. The only changes that I would make is I would swap Girls with M Ward and Wolfgang with either Other Lives or The Midnight Beast who I really don't see playing the Outdoor. I also think Yuck will end up on the Main or Outdoor early in the day.
    Last edited by concertgoer; 02-01-2012 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Girls and M. Ward should swap.

M83 and Mazzy Star should swap. Yeah yeah, I see the billing but M83 is going to be huge. I'm thinking kind of setup Empire of the Sun was in last year.

Refused might as well go on a bit later, say when Black Keys finish. I think the bands closing the stages works well overall.
    I agree with almost all of this, I will add Refused should go until 1 or so, and I doubt they shut down the outdoor theatre for The Black Keys considering how they are the least exciting headliner and many attendees probably saw them last year. If the outdoor shuts down, I would think it would be during Pulp. After all they shut down the main for Jarvis Cocker in 2007.

Also clumsy for the most part this looks really good.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Pulp/Black Angels/Horrors is rough for me. otherwise, looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Rolwolf

Gosh these look good. Not a single major conflict for me, and there's something I'm interested in seeing every hour of the day. Great job. Personally, I don't think you should switch Mazzy Star and M83. Mazzy's billing suggests they'll get a more priemier spot, and although M83 has blown up this year, they're not so big that they can't fit in the Mojave - especially if they go up against the headliner.

A few other notes:

Why does Neon Indian get such a prime spot in the Mojave? I love the flow of M83>Neon Indian>Rapture, but I didn't expect to see them there based on their billing and popularity.

Also, I really can't imagine Dawes getting a night-time spot, especially against the Black Keys. I think literally every person at Coachella who wants to see Dawes will also want to see the Black Keys. Dawes is a perfect early afternoon act for the Outdoor or Coachella stage.

Madeon and M83 won't conflict. Because they're both electro-french.

M83, Neon Indian and The Rapture back to back in the Mojave would be such a fun night.

i really dont see amon tobin closing the sahara... have you seen him with isam live? its more of a mojave thing like trentmoller
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    have fun being lame, we'll be in the campgrounds getting all future freaky and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklite View Post
    i really dont see amon tobin closing the sahara... have you seen him with isam live? its more of a mojave thing like trentmoller
    I thought Mojave too, but if we are assuming that SHM is on the main (with their perfect storm of billing, egos, and production, it's more or less a given) and that Tobin wouldn't play Sahara, then you only have nine Sahara acts in there. Who other than Tobin would be more likely to take an unconventional Sahara slot? That's not rhetorical, it's an honest question. And I don't think it'll be M83, although I know some have suggested it.

I agree with switching m83 with Mazzy and Keeping Amon Tobin closing the sahara. The rest of the possible Sahara closers share the same crowd as SHM. I don't see James on that early either. How about Switching them with Dawes? THey seem like an early outdoor theater band

I would put The Midnight Beast in the Gobi rather than Outdoor personally, other than that not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    it's like, at coachella, we can be a whole group of friends. a whole group of frogs jumping into the streets, jumping into the planet, climbing up the buildings, swimming in the lakes and in the bathtubs. we would be hundreds, thousands, millions. the biggest group of friends the world has ever seen, jumping and laughing forever. it would be great, right?
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012x2

Yes, but all the PLUR cheeseheads will be at Swedish House Mafia on the main, leaving the Sahara empty, and the Sahara has enough room to fit the massive ISAM set up. Makes sense to me.

I like these set times.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Great work Clumsy! On the not so important side of things.... Ximena Sariņana and Hello Seahorse won't conflict They are the 2 mexican acts of the day. Maybe switch HS with Givers...

Why a 1.5 hr gap on the outdoor between mazzy star and refused?

Refused and Madness will switch slots. Yuck and EMA should switch. Most other things look fine
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

The 6 bands I want to see the most on Friday fall in just two time slots 1 hour 25 minutes to see Arctic Monkeys, M. Ward and GIRLS then in a 2 hour span Black Keys, M83 and Neon Indian. This even after Cat Power was removed, what scares me the most is these times and stages all seem probable considering billing and size of fan base. I hope more people share my tastes and some of these conflicts don't come true.

I would push back Refused's start time to like 11:15 or 11:20 so they wont overlap with The Keys.

If The Verve, Pavement, and the non-reunion Animal Collective got 70 minutes, so should Pulp, especially since they only have two other shows in the country and won't be coming to LA ever.

I don't think Mazzy Star will get a silent main stage, although it would be great. Then again, unless there's a significant add or two, then there is going to need to be considerable periods of downtime on one of the two stages.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

90 MINUTE SETS FOR EVERYONE
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Couldn't everyone feasibly get a one hour set because there are less artists?

Clumsy, I like your Saturday and Sunday schedules for the most part, but Friday is kind of a mess.

First off, Yuck is all wrong. No way they close the Gobi. Im guessing they will either be a daytime Outdoor act or early evening (~6:00ish) mojave act. No way they play any stage after sunset.

Second, as everyone has pointed out, M83 needs to be on the Outdoor. Mazzy Star will be in the Mojave in my opinion.

While we talking about swtiching stages... put Atari Teenage Riot in Dawes spot. I see ATR at night in the Gobi anyways, just not conflicting with Refused though.

Also, I was just looking through past set times. There has NEVER been a Coachella artist to play the mainstage, then play a smaller stage for their return. I remember talks about Franz Ferdinand and the YYY's to play the outdoor in 09... didnt happen. Or The Black Keys or Gogol Bordello to play the Outdoor in 2011. Actually, in a more general trend, I couldn't find ANY acts that played a smaller stage on their return. Not one. So, based on this observation, I believe Explosions In The Sky will be on the mainstage. Maybe its a policy Paul T has to not book bands onto a smaller stage once have played a bigger stage, or something else, but I highly doubt its coincidence.

Also, I bet The Sheepdogs end up on the main and Other Lives play the Outdoor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

agreed, Friday is really out of sorts. The Gobi, for the most part, is just thrown together at this point.
    I see what you mean about EITS. I'll just say that if Arctic Monkeys, Pulp, Black Keys and SHM play the main, that leaves EITS with a pre-sunset slot. thoughts?
    I mean, with different scheduling, they could play the Main around 6, which is still fine. Everyone was just wanting to give them the sunset outdoor slot.

Raveonettes played the Main in 2005 but one of the tents in 2010.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Raveonettes played the Main in 2005 but one of the tents in 2010.
    Silversun Pickups played main stage in 2007 and outdoor theatre at night in 2009.
    The White Stripes 9/18

I guess I should mention I was only looking at 2007-2011 set times. Didn't notice that Silversun Pickups one though. I guess that is enough to prove my point wrong. I just think Explosions have a good chance of playing the mainstage.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.