Thread: Driving back to LAX on Monday

Lurker

Default Driving back to LAX on Monday

I understand the campsites close at midday on the Monday. If we leave around that time, I guess there will be a lot of traffic heading back to LA. We need to be at LAX for about 17:00. That's not going to be a problem is it?

I know the drive should be under 3 hours ordinarily, but I have no idea what the traffic leaving the festival, or around LA, is gonna be like. Anyone with experience able to have a guess..? Can't afford any risk of missing that flight.

Or maybe we're better off leaving bright and early and then killing a few hours in LA. In which case, anyone got any recommendations for things to do there?!

thanks!

Default Re: Driving back to LAX on Monday

go early - going to LA can be a cluster fuck - you have MANY major cities to go through...if it's monday you have work traffic + coachella traffic....if there's an accident....expect so sit around for awhile.

LAX is not easy to get parked and through security as well - plan on being real early -

Leave early and get to LA...there's plenty to do there.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Ha I would say leave early and don't plan on doing anything else in LA. LAX is a goddamn nightmare 95% of the time, just getting there is a terrible experience. God help you if you have to spend any length of time on the 405 freeway.

I work a half day on the Monday after Coachella in West Los Angeles, and it takes me about 2 - 2.5 hours to get from the Palm Desert to my office in West L.A. during the mid-day. I think as long as you leave by Noon, you should be OK to be at LAX by 5:00 PM.

The Afternoon Drive traffic begins to build starting at 2:30 PM, so if you are in the LAX area by then, you can find some ways to kill the extra time.

I would recommend that your return route be: I-10 West to Hwy 60 West to the 605 Freeway South to the I-105 West to LAX. You will avoid the Downtown Los Angeles freeways and the I-405, which are heavily congested during the afternoon drive.

If you or a family member have a AAA card, I would suggest picking up free maps of Los Angeles & Southern California and highlight your route and potential alternates to LAX in case of an unplanned detour.

As for things to do, if you want to remain close to LAX there is a mall a couple of miles north of LAX with a good movie theater: The Promenade at Howard Hughes Center (hhpromenade.com). That might be convenient for you.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

SoccerRyot is correct.....leave by noon and you SHOULD be ok...and follow his directions.

If you are smart leave before noon

Nice writeup SoccerRyot
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!

Lurker

Yeah thanks everyone, especially SoccerRyot... that's a massive help!

Sounds like we're best setting off early, just in case, and killing some time in LA. I'm sure that won't be difficult. Although waking up early after 3 days of Coachella might be the hardest part...

Will follow that route as well. Now I just need to remember to drive on the right-hand side of the road...

Having done the drive back to the airport last year, we left at 0930 and hit LAX just after 12:00 - and definitely follow the route soccerRyot outlined - its an easy drive - enjoy!

Cheers for the thread, hadn't even thought about this yet

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerRyot View Post
    I work a half day on the Monday after Coachella in West Los Angeles, and it takes me about 2 - 2.5 hours to get from the Palm Desert to my office in West L.A. during the mid-day. I think as long as you leave by Noon, you should be OK to be at LAX by 5:00 PM.

The Afternoon Drive traffic begins to build starting at 2:30 PM, so if you are in the LAX area by then, you can find some ways to kill the extra time.

I would recommend that your return route be: I-10 West to Hwy 60 West to the 605 Freeway South to the I-105 West to LAX. You will avoid the Downtown Los Angeles freeways and the I-405, which are heavily congested during the afternoon drive.

If you or a family member have a AAA card, I would suggest picking up free maps of Los Angeles & Southern California and highlight your route and potential alternates to LAX in case of an unplanned detour.

As for things to do, if you want to remain close to LAX there is a mall a couple of miles north of LAX with a good movie theater: The Promenade at Howard Hughes Center (hhpromenade.com). That might be convenient for you.

^winner
    And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

OK...I'll bite.

Rookie Coach-goer leaving Palm Desert for an 8:45AM flight on Monday AM? Including time to drop off a vehicle? 5:30?

5:30 is too late. It takes a minimum of 2 hours to get to LA [with a bit of speeding] so considering you will be approaching LA during morning rush hour traffic you need to leave earlier. Traffic going into LA on the 10/60 and the 105 can be awful, especially between 7-9am when everyone is trying to get to work. Also, the fact you have to drop off a car and go through security means you need more time. I wouldn't push it that close.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12[1+2], 13[1+2]

Quote Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
    OK...I'll bite.

Rookie Coach-goer leaving Palm Desert for an 8:45AM flight on Monday AM? Including time to drop off a vehicle? 5:30?
    I would suggest earlier than that considering an accident on any fwy would make you miss your flight. I always arrive at LAX at LEAST 2 HRS ahead of time, I am an LA native and know that airport well, never lost luggage but it's a clusterfuck and it's huge. I would leave at 4-4:30 am and have a chill ride to the airport even if there is a detour or two.

Coachella 2012 part deux

Quote Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
    OK...I'll bite.

Leave at 4am. In an hour you will be halfway to LA. You will get there about 6:30am which will give you enough time to drop off a rental. I've made it to a flight with under an hour to go. To make your security check faster just throw all metal objects, wallet, phone, etc into your carry on bag. take your shoes off and sweater. You'll get thru in no time.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

Quote Originally Posted by PepeO View Post
    I would suggest earlier than that considering an accident on any fwy would make you miss your flight. I always arrive at LAX at LEAST 2 HRS ahead of time, I am an LA native and know that airport well, never lost luggage but it's a clusterfuck and it's huge. I would leave at 4-4:30 am and have a chill ride to the airport even if there is a detour or two.
    LAX is not huge, at least compared to airports like DFW, Heathrow and O'hare. It can definitely be a clusterfuck, tho. If dropping a rental car off, taking the rental car shuttle to the terminal avoids most of the clusterfuck.

I have a noon flight to catch with a rental car to drop off first would you guys say leaving at 7 would be ok ?

Quote Originally Posted by caustal View Post
    I have a noon flight to catch with a rental car to drop off first would you guys say leaving at 7 would be ok ?
    To LAX? I'd make it 6.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

not sure why some of you are so fucking stupid...but you are going from Palm Springs to LA - there are bunch of MAJOR cities - this isn't fucking Kansas.
    Leave whenever the fuck you want, but if you haven't gotten the point of this thread by now your fucking retarded.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    not sure why some of you are so fucking stupid...but you are going from Palm Springs to LA - there are bunch of MAJOR cities - this isn't fucking Kansas.
    Leave whenever the fuck you want, but if you haven't gotten the point of this thread by now your fucking retarded.
    Well hopefully you're getting this attitude out of your system before April... Some people are travelling 5000+ miles to get to Coachella, and hoping to meet chilled out and friendly types when they get there! And can probably be forgiven for not knowing much about the traffic patterns around LAX...

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    For you of all people to call others retarded is laughable. Your poor attempts at being rude and aggressive to others only confirms what we already knew - that you are the stupidest cunt on this board.

He's not wrong though. Just typical boardie hate is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sassypants View Post
    LAX is not huge, at least compared to airports like DFW, Heathrow and O'hare. It can definitely be a clusterfuck, tho. If dropping a rental car off, taking the rental car shuttle to the terminal avoids most of the clusterfuck.
    Besides the point, but technically you're right it's not as big as those, but is still one of the largest airports in the country. I've ran through many airports LAX and Heathrow are the worst!

Coachella 2012 part deux

Quote Originally Posted by PepeO View Post
    Besides the point, but technically you're right it's not as big as those, but is still one of the largest airports in the country. I've ran through many airports LAX and Heathrow are the worst!
    Atlanta and JFK are the worst.

Thank you for the compliments on my suggestions. Many here have also offered up excellent suggestions that I have to agree with. For those who will be driving out during the Morning Drive Time (6:00 - 10:00 AM) you do have to take the extra traffic into consideration.

If you are driving before 6:00 AM, you may encounter freeway road construction under way. In the past, most major planned construction in the desert was cancelled the weekend of Coachella to keep traffic moving. I don't know if that is still the case, however, that is not the case in the Los Angeles area. While most overnight construction work finishes up by 5:00 or 6:00 AM in the morning, you could find yourself in a traffic jam because the 4 lane roadway is down to 2 lanes for roadwork. Hopefully, that won't happen to you.

You will also want to factor in that a great many people fly out on Monday mornings, so traffic heading into the LAX area will be very heavy. And that includes a lot of folks returning rental cars in the morning.

For international flights you definitely want to arrive at your Terminal at least 2 hours early. I recall the last time (2008) I flew to Heathrow on British Airways from LAX, the lines in the International Terminal were crazy and we were shuttled/bused from the International Terminal out to another small terminal where we boarded the plane and that took some extra time. And that was on a Friday night.

I know Virgin Atlantic is in Terminal 3, but I don't know what their set up is and how much extra time you might need for that. Hopefully, someone else who has flown on Virgin Atlantic from LAX can chime in with their experience.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1