Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

Default The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

Felt the need to create a legitimate Black Keys thread for this year. The other one is just a complaint thread, and there are some of us who are still very excited for this set. I even saw them twice last year, but the new album has me really pumped for their set. Its really hard for me to ever complain about seeing the Keys. So everyone who shares this excitement should come into this thread!

-Zach

Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

I wouldn't mind if they played every year. Last year's set was great and I can't wait to hear the new material live.

I initially was pissed because it is so, so, so lazy, but given that a) I only caught two songs last year, and just barely, b) I have yet to see them live in full, and c) I love everything they've done, from Thickfreakness to El Camino, I am now incredibly excited. I'll definitely be there.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I initially was pissed because it is so, so, so lazy, but given that a) I only caught two songs last year, and just barely, b) I have yet to see them live in full, and c) I love everything they've done, from Thickfreakness to El Camino, I am now incredibly excited. I'll definitely be there.
    Yeah I was kind of bummed out by the laziness of the choice, but in the end they still are an incredible act, both in studio and live, and they have released an awesome new album since last year so I'll let it slide...
    -Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zachyd View Post
    Yeah I was kind of bummed out by the laziness of the choice, but in the end they still are an incredible act, both in studio and live, and they have released an awesome new album since last year so I'll let it slide...
    Same. After the initial disappointment, I realized how stupid I was for sulking given that I love them. The only thing this year that is kind of weird is that I am easily going to see at least half (if not the full set) of all three headlining sets. This worries me a bit, I hate devoting that much time to one stage when there are going to be so many other choice sets running during the headliners. I generally like to skip one, watch one full, and then watch a portion or skip the third. This year I could easily see myself watching full sets from all three. First world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Same. After the initial disappointment, I realized how stupid I was for sulking given that I love them. The only thing this year that is kind of weird is that I am easily going to see at least half (if not the full set) of all three headlining sets. This worries me a bit, I hate devoting that much time to one stage when there are going to be so many other choice sets running during the headliners. I generally like to skip one, watch one full, and then watch a portion or skip the third. This year I could easily see myself watching full sets from all three. First world problems.
    I plan on catching the full Black Keys set, and definitely the full Radiohead set, but probably only a song or two of Dre/Snoop. Not a huge fan of rap or hip hop. But yeah the only year I saw all three headliners was 2010. Last year I only caught all of Arcade Fire and The Strokes, but saw a song of the other two.
    -Zach

The current setlists look good and they are playing longer sets
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-bl...-53d14bb1.html

I imagine we will get a set something like that. They'll probably play the full set too since thats still only like 90 minutes.
    -Zach

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    The current setlists look good and they are playing longer sets
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-bl...-53d14bb1.html
    FUCK that. That setlist blows. Goddamnit. I wish they would play more than 1 song from their 3 best albums... Seriously, that is so disappointing.

Should I direct my complaints to this thread now then?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

last year i choose the kills at the outdoor......i hope this year i wont have a confllict but i can see pulp or james closing the outdoor and that would be a difficult choice again even if black keys is one of my must sees this year

aaronbk

The kills didnt play during the black keys. I know this because i saw both sets. and keys...headliners=

From that setlist: El Camino-8, Brothers-6, Attack&Release-3, Magic Potion-1, Rubber Factory-1, Thickfreakness-1, The Big Come Up-1 (+ "Chop and Change").

I'm cool with hearing lots of the new stuff because I've seen em so many times, but I wish they'd play some old songs that they don't usually play live. "Aeroplane Blues" or "Black Door" would kill. Or slow it down a bit with "The Lengths" or "I Cry Alone". Something special. Something headliner-worthy.

If they play this setlist, it would be fun, but not memorable.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fig Neutron View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they played every year. Last year's set was great and I can't wait to hear the new material live.
    Same but I dont like that theyre headlining
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Lazy booking but I love the new album so I might check them out for a bit.

Pulp>The Black Keys

I was a bit surprised to see them on the bill but it's a quantum leap from anywhere on the page to headliner. You get to play a full tour type set and it's your stage. Bottom line, this is a great band, playing a full tour set, hot in the middle of their prime. A can't miss for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Pulp>The Black Keys
    I want to shit on other threads like common people blah blah

That setlist looks packed although its mostly El Camino/Brothers now. I didnt catch them at all last year so im hoping to see most of their set
    FYF 08/23-08/24
    Chvrches 09/19
    Banks 10/16
    Digitalism 11/08

Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Pulp>The Black Keys
    Not a good comparison at all.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I understand they want to play the newer, but I'm not a fan of that setlist either. Are they not playing "Stop Stop" at all? That's my favorite from El Camino. Also, they need to bust out "Black Mud."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I understand they want to play the newer, but I'm not a fan of that setlist either. Are they not playing "Stop Stop" at all? That's my favorite from El Camino. Also, they need to bust out "Black Mud."
    Hey, in 30 years, when their reunion tour rolls through Facebook Arena in L.A., we're gonna be clamoring for stuff from these last three albums, not the crappy reunion album they put out in 2040. Enjoy the moment.

really stoked for black keys even though ive seen them so many times recently, kind of like the flying lotus of rock, more=better

really hope they dont conflict with amon tobin though :/
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

I could not be happier that The Black Keys are playing again this year, unexpected but supremely happy! Have only seem them once at last years Coachella where I caught the full set but I am excited to hear a long full set from them again this year regardless of what they play. For me there are no bad songs from them. They are playing in Portland this year but at the Rose Garden which in my mind is an extremely shitty place to see a concert, especially someone as good as the Keys! No complaints from me:-)

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Hey, in 30 years, when their reunion tour rolls through Facebook Arena in L.A., we're gonna be clamoring for stuff from these last three albums, not the crappy reunion album they put out in 2040. Enjoy the moment.

I'm looking forward to the recent stuff, I think all of El Camino will translate great live. I'm just bummed that they're not playing two of my favorites off of those respective albums. I also wish they would mix up the older songs. In my opinion "Thickfreakness" and "I Got Mine" are the only two "must haves" in every set.

Saw them last year at Bonnaroo and I watched their Coachella '11 performance on the webcast, but I'm still looking forward to seeing them this year. I love El Camino.

I'm looking forward to the recent stuff, I think all of El Camino will translate great live. I'm just bummed that they're not playing two of my favorites off of those respective albums. I also wish they would mix up the older songs. In my opinion "Thickfreakness" and "I Got Mine" are the only two "must haves" in every set.
    Hey, I'll give you those two if I get Strange Times and Gold on the Ceiling. Lonely Boy should be an opener, imo. They'd hook the crowd from the beginning and everything else would be gravey.

Picked them over Cut Copy last year and am still kicking myself, especially now knowing that they are back this year. Their set last year didn't live up to my expectations. But digging the new album, they were great from what I watched of their KROQ accoustic Christmas set, so barring any major conflicts.... I will be giving my fellow Ohioans a shot at redemption at least one of the 2 Coachella weekends.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

This, but also throw in Unknown Brother with Black Mud. Is anyone else also disappointed that they are no longer opening up with Thickfreakness anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Is anyone else also disappointed that they are no longer opening up with Thickfreakness anymore?
    YES. I'm afraid any other opening song will be lame by comparison.

Bummed they haven't been playing "Set You Free" recently. I know they used to a lot. That's my favorite song.