Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45

Thread: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member zachyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    569

    Default The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Felt the need to create a legitimate Black Keys thread for this year. The other one is just a complaint thread, and there are some of us who are still very excited for this set. I even saw them twice last year, but the new album has me really pumped for their set. Its really hard for me to ever complain about seeing the Keys. So everyone who shares this excitement should come into this thread!



    -Zach

  2. #2
    Member Fig Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    I wouldn't mind if they played every year. Last year's set was great and I can't wait to hear the new material live.

  3. #3
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    8,399

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Neutron View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they played every year. Last year's set was great and I can't wait to hear the new material live.
    Same but I dont like that theyre headlining
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    kvnty offered me 2 fists for one companion parking pass

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    I initially was pissed because it is so, so, so lazy, but given that a) I only caught two songs last year, and just barely, b) I have yet to see them live in full, and c) I love everything they've done, from Thickfreakness to El Camino, I am now incredibly excited. I'll definitely be there.

  5. #5
    Member zachyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I initially was pissed because it is so, so, so lazy, but given that a) I only caught two songs last year, and just barely, b) I have yet to see them live in full, and c) I love everything they've done, from Thickfreakness to El Camino, I am now incredibly excited. I'll definitely be there.
    Yeah I was kind of bummed out by the laziness of the choice, but in the end they still are an incredible act, both in studio and live, and they have released an awesome new album since last year so I'll let it slide...
    -Zach

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by zachyd View Post
    Yeah I was kind of bummed out by the laziness of the choice, but in the end they still are an incredible act, both in studio and live, and they have released an awesome new album since last year so I'll let it slide...
    Same. After the initial disappointment, I realized how stupid I was for sulking given that I love them. The only thing this year that is kind of weird is that I am easily going to see at least half (if not the full set) of all three headlining sets. This worries me a bit, I hate devoting that much time to one stage when there are going to be so many other choice sets running during the headliners. I generally like to skip one, watch one full, and then watch a portion or skip the third. This year I could easily see myself watching full sets from all three. First world problems.

  7. #7
    Member zachyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Same. After the initial disappointment, I realized how stupid I was for sulking given that I love them. The only thing this year that is kind of weird is that I am easily going to see at least half (if not the full set) of all three headlining sets. This worries me a bit, I hate devoting that much time to one stage when there are going to be so many other choice sets running during the headliners. I generally like to skip one, watch one full, and then watch a portion or skip the third. This year I could easily see myself watching full sets from all three. First world problems.
    I plan on catching the full Black Keys set, and definitely the full Radiohead set, but probably only a song or two of Dre/Snoop. Not a huge fan of rap or hip hop. But yeah the only year I saw all three headliners was 2010. Last year I only caught all of Arcade Fire and The Strokes, but saw a song of the other two.
    -Zach

  8. #8
    old school concertgoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,430

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    The current setlists look good and they are playing longer sets
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-bl...-53d14bb1.html

  9. #9
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,115

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    The current setlists look good and they are playing longer sets
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-bl...-53d14bb1.html
    FUCK that. That setlist blows. Goddamnit. I wish they would play more than 1 song from their 3 best albums... Seriously, that is so disappointing.

  10. #10
    Member zachyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    I imagine we will get a set something like that. They'll probably play the full set too since thats still only like 90 minutes.
    -Zach

  11. #11
    Coachella Junkie sonofhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    8,914

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Should I direct my complaints to this thread now then?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    last year i choose the kills at the outdoor......i hope this year i wont have a confllict but i can see pulp or james closing the outdoor and that would be a difficult choice again even if black keys is one of my must sees this year

  13. #13
    aaronbk
    Guest

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    The kills didnt play during the black keys. I know this because i saw both sets. and keys...headliners=

  14. #14

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    From that setlist: El Camino-8, Brothers-6, Attack&Release-3, Magic Potion-1, Rubber Factory-1, Thickfreakness-1, The Big Come Up-1 (+ "Chop and Change").

    I'm cool with hearing lots of the new stuff because I've seen em so many times, but I wish they'd play some old songs that they don't usually play live. "Aeroplane Blues" or "Black Door" would kill. Or slow it down a bit with "The Lengths" or "I Cry Alone". Something special. Something headliner-worthy.

    If they play this setlist, it would be fun, but not memorable.

  15. #15
    Member Phantasma Del Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Park
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Lazy booking but I love the new album so I might check them out for a bit.

  16. #16
    old school bluemamba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Pulp>The Black Keys

  17. #17
    Member DFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    la
    Posts
    2,452

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Pulp>The Black Keys
    I want to shit on other threads like common people blah blah

    That setlist looks packed although its mostly El Camino/Brothers now. I didnt catch them at all last year so im hoping to see most of their set

  18. #18
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,932

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Pulp>The Black Keys
    Not a good comparison at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Nobody has ever given a single fuck about anything you've ever had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Erik or Dani: Can we change Spooks' member title to "Stupid Pigfucker"? thanks.

  19. #19
    old school bluemamba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Not a good comparison at all.
    Im not comparing their music. I just feel Coachella should've made Pulp the headliner instead of a repeat in Black Keys.

  20. #20
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,932

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Im not comparing their music. I just feel Coachella should've made Pulp the headliner instead of a repeat in Black Keys.
    I like Pulp, but no. There is no way to justify doing that at this point in time.

  21. #21
    Member Nealocus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    639

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Im not comparing their music. I just feel Coachella should've made Pulp the headliner instead of a repeat in Black Keys.
    No. In the states The Black Keys are way more of a sell than Pulp. I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw Pulp I had not listened to a ton of their music and was glad the Keys were slated above them. Granted after listening to the majority of their albums Pulp is for sure a worthy headliner; just not during their reunion tour and not at Coachella.

  22. #22

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Im not comparing their music. I just feel Coachella should've made Pulp the headliner instead of a repeat in Black Keys.
    How would Pulp possibly be the headliner ? Virtually no one in America knows them. There were
    lots of people saying Pavement should have headlined also and there were like 10 people watching
    them. And both Pulp and Pavement are brilliant bands, but not headliners. Black Keys are huge
    right now - they get played constantly on many different LA radio stations.

  23. #23

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    I was a bit surprised to see them on the bill but it's a quantum leap from anywhere on the page to headliner. You get to play a full tour type set and it's your stage. Bottom line, this is a great band, playing a full tour set, hot in the middle of their prime. A can't miss for me.

  24. #24
    Coachella Junkie Mr. Dylanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nix
    Posts
    17,963

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    I understand they want to play the newer, but I'm not a fan of that setlist either. Are they not playing "Stop Stop" at all? That's my favorite from El Camino. Also, they need to bust out "Black Mud."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

  25. #25

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I understand they want to play the newer, but I'm not a fan of that setlist either. Are they not playing "Stop Stop" at all? That's my favorite from El Camino. Also, they need to bust out "Black Mud."
    Hey, in 30 years, when their reunion tour rolls through Facebook Arena in L.A., we're gonna be clamoring for stuff from these last three albums, not the crappy reunion album they put out in 2040. Enjoy the moment.

  26. #26
    Member Inthecolumbiagorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Posts
    1,110

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    I could not be happier that The Black Keys are playing again this year, unexpected but supremely happy! Have only seem them once at last years Coachella where I caught the full set but I am excited to hear a long full set from them again this year regardless of what they play. For me there are no bad songs from them. They are playing in Portland this year but at the Rose Garden which in my mind is an extremely shitty place to see a concert, especially someone as good as the Keys! No complaints from me:-)

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie Mr. Dylanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nix
    Posts
    17,963

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Hey, in 30 years, when their reunion tour rolls through Facebook Arena in L.A., we're gonna be clamoring for stuff from these last three albums, not the crappy reunion album they put out in 2040. Enjoy the moment.

    I'm looking forward to the recent stuff, I think all of El Camino will translate great live. I'm just bummed that they're not playing two of my favorites off of those respective albums. I also wish they would mix up the older songs. In my opinion "Thickfreakness" and "I Got Mine" are the only two "must haves" in every set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

  28. #28

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I'm looking forward to the recent stuff, I think all of El Camino will translate great live. I'm just bummed that they're not playing two of my favorites off of those respective albums. I also wish they would mix up the older songs. In my opinion "Thickfreakness" and "I Got Mine" are the only two "must haves" in every set.
    Hey, I'll give you those two if I get Strange Times and Gold on the Ceiling. Lonely Boy should be an opener, imo. They'd hook the crowd from the beginning and everything else would be gravey.

  29. #29
    old school unit300021's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    By The Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,277

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I understand they want to play the newer, but I'm not a fan of that setlist either. Are they not playing "Stop Stop" at all? That's my favorite from El Camino. Also, they need to bust out "Black Mud."
    This, but also throw in Unknown Brother with Black Mud. Is anyone else also disappointed that they are no longer opening up with Thickfreakness anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

  30. #30

    Default Re: The Black Keys! (2012 Version)

    Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Is anyone else also disappointed that they are no longer opening up with Thickfreakness anymore?
    YES. I'm afraid any other opening song will be lame by comparison.

Similar Threads

  1. Too much Black Keys
    By darkmoon66 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 11:41 AM
  2. THE BLACK KEYS
    By Sushov23 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 282
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM
  3. NEED BLACK KEYS, Portland!
    By clumsy342 in forum Passes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 09:06 PM
  4. new the black keys!!!!
    By sbessiso in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 10:39 AM
  5. Black Keys
    By gibsonguy20 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •