Thread: Anyone else have bad local concert conflicts the days around the festival?

old school

Default Anyone else have bad local concert conflicts the days around the festival?

Vancouver concert conflicts in the days before Coachella:

Monday April 9th:
    Kasabian - Vogue*
    Cults - Venue*
    Radiohead - Key Arena
    Fanfarlo - Biltmore
    fIREHOSE - Bellingham

Tuesday April 10th:
    Band of Skulls - Commodore*
    First Aid - Venue
    Elvis Costello - Orpheum*
    Andrew Bird - Vogue
    Thomas Dolby - Rio

If I were to know the Coachella set times before these shows I could polish off 5 or 6 of these names. Only Cults/Skulls would be the only sure bets to come up this way in the next 2 years. I'm only doing weekend #1. 3 of these names may NEVER come up this way again. Since it's weeknights, doing a theater show then club show(marked with *) a block or two away MIGHT only get me 45 minutes of each.

This is the reason why the late release of set-times drives me insane.

Default Re: Anyone else have bad local concert conflicts the days around the festival?

Costello is on the line up? Have I missed something?

Default Re: Anyone else have bad local concert conflicts the days around the festival?

Yes, I missed the whole point of this thread. Sorry.

old school

8/10 acts are doing Coachella, with Dolby/Costello doing So Cal appearances before/after the festival.

Because Coachella won't release their schedule I may only see 3 of these acts. If they released the schedule 7 days before the festival I could see upwards of 8 of the 10 acts that I would otherwise.

I wondering if anyone else of the west coast has similar issue. Also looking for advice to solving this conflict without help of the festival set times.

i'd really like to be able to see chairlift on the 14th.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

A majority of the Coach bands are playing SF Bay Area right around the same time. Going to see Pulp on the 17th, otherwise I'll count on seeing the resta at Coachella.

San Francisco
    April 4th
    Cults - Great American Music Hall (Jesus Christ, April is going to ass rape my wallet. Who should I see? Who should I skip? Its a conflict with my fucking wallet!)

April 9th
    OFWGKTA - The Warfield!

April 11th
    The Melvins - The Bank Club (I have already been to many Melvins shows. I want them at COACHELLA DAMNIT!!!! WTF!!!)
    Radiohead - HP Pavillion (If I saw them there I could see Godspeed instead)
    Oberhofer - The Rickshaw Stop

April 12th
    Band of Skulls - The Fillmore (with We are Augustines)
    fIREHOSE - Coconut Grove Ballroom (with M.Ward)
    Goyte - The Independent
    The Melvins - The Great Music Hall (with Unsane) It really pisses me off... didn't Buzz say that they have never been offered.
    Metronomy - Slims
    Miike Snow - Fox Theater (with Penguin Prison)

or me driving down to Coachella on Wednesday after work to make it there for great parking and Thursday! I think i will drive down instead. But holy shit that a lot of shows.

Holy Christ!!!

April 16th
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - The Great American Music Hall (This solves all of my problems!)
    Last edited by DeadSkin; 01-28-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

April 13th Melvins/Unsane at the Troubadour. Bought a ticket without thinking.

Missing Andrew WK, Laibach, Soap & Skin, Major Lazer, Sea of Bees, The Chameleons, Simian Mobile Disco and Leftfield whilst over the pond.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I was going to go to the RNR Hall of Fame Induction in Cleveland this year for GNR (ya gotta believe) but The Polo Fields will always win.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Are you guys really complaining about missing artists while attending a MUSIC FESTIVAL, many of which are already playing the goddamn festival itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Are you guys really complaining about missing artists while attending a MUSIC FESTIVAL, many of which are already playing the goddamn festival itself?
    No.

I'm complaining about Goldenvoice's DICKISH policy about releasing the set times with barely 2 days notice. A policy that no one can adequately explain to me with a rational reason beyond the feable "that's how they've always done it" excuse.

A policy that PREVENTS me from seeing a wider array of acts and DISCOURAGES me from attending show if I knew it would ease Coachella conflicts in the days before I fly to Caifornia. Upwards to the tune of a half dozen extra acts.

Fo me, late release of the schedule is perhaps the ONLY things that prevents Coachella from being a near perfect event every year.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    No.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

I highly doubt there will be any conflicts at all. Calgary never gets anyone good

old school

In last years set times prediction thread it was revealed that Paul T. and co only finalize times about 12-14 days before the festival and lets some of the act know. They then sit on that info for 10 days and release around Wednesday before the fest.