Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dear Radiohead, Please play your hits

Thumbs up Dear Radiohead, Please play your hits

I know you guys are excited for your new album, and you are anxious to go on tour and show it off but please also play the songs we have all grown to love. I understand that overplaying a song might get boring but their is a reason you guys have overplayed them. What if Paul McCartney would have filled his set with songs from "Memory almost full" and from his newer albums. People would have still been happy to see Mecca, but we all know what they would have all really wanted. To hear and sing a long to songs they have grown to love and made him famous. I know a lot of hipster that only listen to Side B and unreleased tracks are going to disagree with me, but i still think most people will enjoy if you guys played some of your biggest hits.

sincerely

A Fan

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Default Re: Dear Radiohead, Please play your hits

I'm not a die hard Radiohead fan so I can agree with this. I'm sure we will be told to fuck off in a few minutes...
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charger89 View Post
    I know you guys are excited for your new album, and you are anxious to go on tour and show it off but please also play the songs we have all grown to love. I understand that overplaying a song might get boring but their is a reason you guys have overplayed them. What if Paul McCartney would have filled his set with songs from "Memory almost full" and from his newer albums. People would have still been happy to see Mecca, but we all know what they would have all really wanted. To hear and sing a long to songs they have grown to love and made him famous. I know a lot of hipster that only listen to Side B and unreleased tracks are going to disagree with me, but i still think most people will enjoy if you guys played some of your biggest hits.

sincerely

A Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Charger89 you call yourself a fan posting this bullshit?

They'll play a lot of tracks from In Rainbows and King of Limbs. I'm hoping to hear some of OK Computer and Kid A as well, but if you're expecting to hear "Creep" you should probably watch someone else. They did play it in 2004, but that's one of their worst songs anyway so I hope they don't.

Coachella Junkie

Radiohead
    Coachella 2012 Setlist:

1) There There
    2) Paranoid Android
    3) Karma Police
    4) I Might Be Wrong
    5) Everything In Its Right Place
    6) 2+2=5
    7) Just
    8) Knives Out
    ---
    9) Creep

remember, they have to end early so david guetta can play his set on the main.

its a valid point IMO; i look at the rolling stones or Neil young (good examples because both have produced relevant music over 15+ years).. sets consist of a lot of new(er) shit but the hits are always there. Probably have been played 100s of times more then radiohead has played any song. really i just vent because it comes off pompous to me, too good for a song or something..

Don't worry Radiohead will make you happy.

Radiohead will bring it, regardless.

they'll likely play a good mix with some old stuff and new just like they did in 2004 (they just have a little more old stuff to pick from now). you're not going to get a greatest hits set if thats what you're expecting

I don't really see Radiohead altering their tour set list that much for Coachella, which means we will get probably a minimum of 75% In Rainbows and The King of Limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
    I don't really see Radiohead altering their tour set list that much for Coachella, which means we will get probably a minimum of 75% In Rainbows and The King of Limbs.
    ahhhh i've not seen the setlists, you're probably right tho. im ok with that as i havent seen em since '06. i dont ever want to hear them play the national anthem live again anyway

I was thinking the same thing I'd be surprised if they left off more than 2 songs from TKOL. The album's less then 40 minutes long though. I remember reading an article in the fall(?) that said they were going to be pretty committed to playing sets largely consisting of TKOL but I can't seem to find it.

Arcticle on Radiohead setlists:

http://nymag.com/arts/all/process/17306/

Not sure if this really applies to them anymore, but from this you can take it that they'll rehearse all the King of Limbs stuff and about 30 other songs, play like 8 songs from King of Limbs, then probably 5 In Rainbows songs and 10-12 from everything else.

Personally I don't really care what they play (other than I want Idioteque), but I don't see them changing the formula from previous tours all that much seeing as how this has obviously worked for them up until this point.
    Last edited by Bons222000; 01-25-2012 at 08:55 PM.

They are professionals. I trust them to make the best setlist possible.

I can live with that

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    Arcticle on Radiohead setlists:

http://nymag.com/arts/all/process/17306/

Not sure if this really applies to them anymore, but from this you can take it that they'll rehearse all the King of Limbs stuff and about 30 other songs, play like 8 songs from King of Limbs, then probably 5 In Rainbows songs and 10-12 from everything else.

Personally I don't really care what they play (other than I want Idioteque), but I don't see them changing the formula from previous tours all that much seeing as how this has obviously worked for them up until this point.
    You do realize that album is only 8 songs anyway, right?

You do realize that album is only 8 songs anyway, right?
    You do realize that they have The Daily Mail, Super Collider, The Butcher, and Staircase from these sessions as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    You do realize that they have The Daily Mail, Super Collider, The Butcher, and Staircase from these sessions as well, right?
    Sessions are different than the actual album. All of Amnesiac comes from the Kid A sessions but do you refer to them as one album?
    Last edited by KidRobot; 01-25-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by fibes View Post
    its a valid point IMO; i look at the rolling stones or Neil young (good examples because both have produced relevant music over 15+ years).. sets consist of a lot of new(er) shit but the hits are always there. Probably have been played 100s of times more then radiohead has played any song. really i just vent because it comes off pompous to me, too good for a song or something..
    I can agree with the Stones, but NOT Neil Young. I saw him in 84 and he played this country crap and Powderfinger. Saw him in '88ish and he played a bunch of songs that hadn't even been recorded. Saw him in '05ish and he played all 10 songs from a new album with props that looked like they were out of a high school play. With Neil, the hits are RARELY there. And, really, the Stones haven't put out much that was any good since Steel Wheels in '89 and that wasn't great by any stretch. A more apt comparison is Springsteen. He's put out some decent stuff in the last 15 years and will play the best of that lot, but will always come home with Thunder Road, Badlands and Born to Run.

As for Radiohead, I've been an admirer but not a fan. I'll go to the set (barring a conflict with, say, fIREHOSE) hoping to be converted. Just play what's good.

I fear the reality of this. In all my years, I've never managed to see them perform, so I'm hoping it isn't almost entirely In Rainbows (which I quite liked) and King of Limbs (which won't be remembered alongside Kid A, OK Computer, Rainbows, Bends, or Amnesiac)...

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    i thought all their songs were hits.
    It seems that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Foucault View Post
    ...and King of Limbs (which won't be remembered alongside Kid A, OK Computer, Rainbows, Bends, or Amnesiac)...
    You wont be remembered alongside your siblings.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.

I completely agree. Coachella has become become much more than just a common tour stop. A "hits friendly" set could be one of the most memorable performances in Coachella history.

I would have to agree as well. I get that the King of Limbs is their newest effort, but a slew of older tracks instead would make the weekend for a ton of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger89 View Post

sincerely

A Fan
    Dear A Fan,

GET A FUCKING LIFE. THEY ARE NOT A JUKEBOX. GO JOIN ALL YOUR DOUCHEY BROS IN THE SAHARA WHEN RADIOHEAD IS PLAYING AND ASK THAT DJ TO DO A TRANCE REMIX OF CREEP SO YOU CAN GET A BONER WHILE YOU'RE ROLLING.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

The difference with Neil Young is that his many stylistic left turns in the 80s were bold enough to be admirable, even when they failed.
    The Radiohead of the last decade has been so samey and flat that it's more cynical than daring, and (to my ears) more boring than anything else.
    They are still coasting on thrust generated between 95 and 01, which means they have been bland almost twice as long as they have been amazing.

Get ready to pretend to love IR/KoL live.
    Its gonna be an "youll eat what I'm cookin" scenario.
    For both the audience, and everyone in the band not named Thom.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Dear A Fan,

GET A FUCKING LIFE. THEY ARE NOT A JUKEBOX. GO JOIN ALL YOUR DOUCHEY BROS IN THE SAHARA WHEN RADIOHEAD IS PLAYING AND ASK THAT DJ TO DO A TRANCE REMIX OF CREEP SO YOU CAN GET A BONER WHILE YOU'RE ROLLING.
    This may be your greatest post ever, supre. Fucking outstanding. Well done.

Dear Feist, Please show your tits

I know you are excited for your new album, and you are anxious to go on tour and show it off but please also show us the tits we have all grown to love. I understand that overexposure might get boring but their is a reason you have nice tits. What if Bjork would have shown us her tits? People would have still been happy to see her, but we all know what they would have all really wanted. To stare and gawk at tits they have grown to love and made you famous. I know a lot of hipster that only stare at fully clothed tits are going to disagree with me, but i still think most people will enjoy if you showed us your biggest tits.

sincerely

A Fan
    Last edited by TomAz; 01-26-2012 at 09:08 AM.