Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Default Re: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post

I can't even count the number of times I got or gave an "off the record" reference.
    We call these back door references. Often times they hold more weight than the actual references provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I can't even count the number of times I got or gave an "off the record" reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl
    We call these back door references. Often times they hold more weight than the actual references provided.
    Yup, all makes sense.

I have a really important interview on Thursday!!! I'm scared! I think I am prepared but I have no idea. This would be my dream company to work for!

Quote Originally Posted by amma_sol View Post
    I have a really important interview on Thursday!!! I'm scared! I think I am prepared but I have no idea. This would be my dream company to work for!
    Here are a few tips. Research the company and have a few questions prepared. Google news articles - find out what is happening in the company now and ask about it. Remember to answer questions directly and specifically and don't let the interview get too comfortable or chatty, let them guide you. Ask for next steps at the end. Go in with confidence and enthusiasm but know you'll have competition. Dress appropriately and if you don't know what that means, ask. Read the job description carefully and think of examples of when you performed those tasks and use those examples if you are asked behavioral or " tell me about a time when" scenario questions. Good luck!
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Thank you!!

ThatGirl is right on the money! Good luck to everyone!

Is the company public? You can download annual reports/quarterly reports from the SEC (http://www.sec.gov). That'll give you more information you ever want to know. You'll also be able to see financial health. The future employer who you think is a dream company may not have solid financials, which is always a prerequisite during my screening process. Never fun to get hired to later find out the company is having some issues making its bond payments.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Here's my situation. I'm 25 and left my last job in the U.S. Congress last November in order to move back to California and continue working in politics. I thought the big names on my résumé would carry me even in a depressed economy, but that hasn't been the case. I know gaps in employment are viewed negatively by employers, so, at this point should I take a PT job just for the sake of my résumé?
    Last edited by BChillin; 06-18-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BChillin View Post
    Here's my situation. I'm 25 and left my last job in the U.S. Congress last November in order to move back to California and continue working in politics. I thought the big names on my résumé would carry me even in a depressed economy, but that hasn't been the case. I know gaps in employment are viewed negatively by employers, so, at this point should I take a PT job just for the sake of my résumé?
    Gaps in employment aren't good - particularly when they can't be explained. But I think what course you take now will greatly depend on the sort of role/s you've held and what kind of work you are seeking currently. I also don't necessarily think you would need to take P/T work - you may just need to target F/T positions in a different industry. What exactly did you do in Politics?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Gaps in employment aren't good - particularly when they can't be explained. But I think what course you take now will greatly depend on the sort of role/s you've held and what kind of work you are seeking currently. I also don't necessarily think you would need to take P/T work - you may just need to target F/T positions in a different industry. What exactly did you do in Politics?
    My last position was essentially the public counterpart to lobbyists. Duties included outreach, event planning, speechwriting, et al. My goal is a job in government affairs (aka lobbying) but I'm open to virtually any job in the realm of politics. I've applied to positions with NGOs, public offices, political consulting firms, colleges, corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by BChillin View Post
    My last position was essentially the public counterpart to lobbyists. Duties included outreach, event planning, speechwriting, et al. My goal is a job in government affairs (aka lobbying) but I'm open to virtually any job in the realm of politics. I've applied to positions with NGOs, public offices, political consulting firms, colleges, corporations.
    If taking on a lobbying role or political role isn't panning out, and you've been out of work since November, I can imagine you are feeling some financial pressure too. I would probably suggest you target PR or communication positions in general, but in different industry areas, organizations? Or look at all the skills you've obtained and consider other ways they can be applied. I'd be interested in reading your résumé to see if I can make further suggestions on your transferable skills.

I think I did really well at my interview! I hope I get a call back. It's an admin assistant position for a pretty big venue in LA! Start to my dream career!

Hey, ThatGirl, any advice for a 30-something new grad that has been in the workforce forEVER, but is having a helluva time even getting a call back, let alone an interview. Am I overshooting looking at supervisor, entry-level management positions? Or are employers simply overwhelmed by applicants with a ton of experience and education that I just go directly to the "discard" pile? I've applied at a few dozen places and haven't had a single interview. I gotta be doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Davids81 View Post
    Hey, ThatGirl, any advice for a 30-something new grad that has been in the workforce forEVER, but is having a helluva time even getting a call back, let alone an interview. Am I overshooting looking at supervisor, entry-level management positions? Or are employers simply overwhelmed by applicants with a ton of experience and education that I just go directly to the "discard" pile? I've applied at a few dozen places and haven't had a single interview. I gotta be doing something wrong.
    Do you have any experience as a supervisor/manager?
    There are many factors that are considered when resumes are received, such as experience, education and work history.
    Feel free to shoot me a PM. I work HR in the bay area and may be able to assist you, but no promises.

Today is my 15 year anniversary with my company. I totally forgot, but I just received the company email congratulating me. I wonder if this means I can take the rest of the day off.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Quote Originally Posted by amma_sol View Post
    admin assistant ... dream career!
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Today is my 15 year anniversary with my company. I totally forgot, but I just received the company email congratulating me. I wonder if this means I can take the rest of the day off.
    My 15 year was a couple weeks ago, and I'm getting a (small) catered party next week. Usually the company doesn't dump anniversary money on us until 25 years, but now that we're a NEW company and in contract negotiations they're giving us a little money for our 5 year interval anniversaries. I also got a $100 gift card to a selection of companies. I'd prefer a fat bonus, but hey.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 06-21-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I got a fat bonus for you amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Congrats. It's probably just a pat on the back.

I look forward to it, Tom.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Congrats. It's probably just a pat on the back.
    there is a catered lunch in the fall for everyone that has a 5, 10, 15, 20 (etc) yr anniversary. There's actually quite a few people, in addition to the handful on their 25, 30, and 35 yr anniversaries. I always feel sad for them because i think everyone looks at them and says to themselves "just fuckin retire already".

we used to get our 4th week of vacation on our 15yr anniversary, but that policy changed this year to give the 4th week of vacation to people beginning their 12th year with the company. and it actually accrues throughout the year so that's what helped me travel so much for IAMX earlier in the year. /cool story bro
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Quote Originally Posted by Davids81 View Post
    In addition to Robin's offer of help, I'd also be happy to look at your résumé. Sometimes you just need some tweaking to help get it to the top of the pile.

So after reviewing multiple cover letters I have sent out I noticed I have been using bad grammar and starting a lot of sentences with "As." Obviously from here on out I am changing that but is that a legitimate reason why I haven't been getting many interview opportunities? My dad, who own his own company, says he would toss my application right away, but my dad is also extremely picky and his company is extremely small and rarely hires so he doesn't see a high volume of them. Would an HR person at a larger company that sees a higher volume of resumes/cover letters even pay attention to something like that and automatically toss them? I just wan't to know so if that is the case i can at least pin point where I have been fucking up and work on changing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

VigoTheCarpathian

Unit, find something you're passionate about, formulate a bunch if original ideas about it, call a firm that deals in that business, speak to the recruiter personally, blow his mind, ask if you can meet him in person. Submitting a resume and hoping for a call back is like submitting a screenplay to a major production company.

Vigo. Please. What you are suggesting is unrealistic and frankly, a bit foolish.

Unit - I would like to see your resume - please PM me.

Would we expect anything else from Vigo (I thought he was leaving?)
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

VigoTheCarpathian

I just got a great job with a fortune 500 technology company by doing just that. Its the reason I gave that advice. Actually, it's the only phone call I've ever made for a job in my life. I'm also selling my company to Berkshire Hathaway right now.

zzzz
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Well, being the assistant to the executive assistant to the provost wasn't in the cards for me, despite getting the second interview for it. By the way, that "skills test" I had to do in the first interview included making a 3 page power point presentation ABOUT MYSELF. Which holy fucking Christ, what is this god damned bullshit? Like, I get it: you need to see that we have the intellectual capacity of a fucking 9 year old, but at least give us some sort of made up substance to use beyond: tell us more about yourself. I was so annoyed about this portion that I made the first page of the presentation a picture of me petting a cat with glitter behind it just shimmering across the page. God, you know what? Also, during the first interview, the interviewee (the Executive Assistant to the P) went out of her way to make sure that I knew how to use the Calender function of Office Outlook.

And I guess this is my problem, and one that I can completely recognize and acknowledge, as someone with no interest at least for now in pursuing anything that would deal with my actual talents or interests because all I want is something to numb my brain during the day so I can afford to eat decently and go to shows and live, but I don't know how to show PASSION for an administrative support position. I legitimately give fantastic answers to the types of question that happen during the interviews for these positions, but this (the first time i've never not gotten a job offer after an interview) makes me wonder if maybe there are legitimately people with better, more sincere answers than my own.

And you know what, maybe I shouldn't even lie in my interviews anymore. I tend to be pretty blunt about the truth, and people always laugh (they are usually drunk), so maybe when I'm asked about why I want these jobs, or whatever, I should be totally honest and say, "Well, something's gotta pay for my ketamine habit. FEMINISM, RIGHT?"

Upon hearing I didn't get the job, my mother sent me this: http://www.uncoveryourcalling.com/

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

cara opens up.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.