Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Default Re: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    So, ordering the steak wrapped in bacon and shoving it in my mouth with my hands is not a good idea? Lol.
    What about a small pizza? I always use a knife and fork with that.
    Small pizza with fork and knife should be ideal. Simple and likely a reasonable price.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Re the weakness question - interviewers do see through the "weakness as a strength" strategy. You need to make sure your delivery is good - and don't bullshit, but try to make your weakness something unrelated to the job, and it can help get around the question.. I once said I was asked to participate in corporate challenge one year and I was terrible at floor hockey. Got a laugh, and we moved on. Sometimes they may press for more, but it can work.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I mean, your writing skills scream "HIRE ME! HIRE ME!" so I can't imagine what went wrong.
    My writing skills are actually quite excellent well in comparison to my peers but do you honestly believe I'm going to really give a flying hoot about it on a forum board? Not really. Long as the point gets carried across punctuation besides the all important ? mark and the 's in the most appropriate words, that's all that matters to me. I won't proof read my post to make it look correct or to impress you.

@ Robin, well right now it's more applicable because many of our employees are reaching retirement age or have English as a second language so it makes it difficult to really get help with anything that might exert them physically and far as helping with customers and stuff, the ESL status seems to infuriate the customer base because of the complications that arise with it. It's not a weakness of mine as I'm open to receiving help, right now though it's just a product of the environment I'm in where help is actually counterproductive. Personally I'd say my real weakness is people, since I'm not a particular people person, and I have hard time not telling a rude jackass, not to go f' himself. Working in retail/sales you learn that the customer ISN'T always right, however most businesses don't care if they are or aren't. I however a person have a hard time looking the other way and smiling about it all the while. That's the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Re the weakness question - interviewers do see through the "weakness as a strength" strategy. You need to make sure your delivery is good - and don't bullshit, but try to make your weakness something unrelated to the job, and it can help get around the question.. I once said I was asked to participate in corporate challenge one year and I was terrible at floor hockey. Got a laugh, and we moved on. Sometimes they may press for more, but it can work.
    Hmm I always figured that weaknesses unrelated to your position applied for have no real merit and are most likely negative responses to use.

Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    Hmm I always figured that weaknesses unrelated to your position applied for have no real merit and are most likely negative responses to use.
    Weaknesses are negative. The point is to not offer a weakness that relates to the work you are applying for. There are lots of approaches and this is one that can work but you need to plan it before hand in case it comes up. Trying to think of something on the fly will probably not go over so well. This is why interview prep is important.

I was just talking to the CFO of the company I'm interviewing for (we worked together at a previous job). He informed me that they just finished putting the job description together, the position isn't even posted as open anywhere, they desperately need help because they're expanding the work force, and I'm the only candidate. It's pretty much mine. All I have to do is impress the HR Director.

I was just talking to the CFO of the company I'm interviewing for (we worked together at a previous job). He informed me that they just finished putting the job description together, the position isn't even posted as open anywhere, they desperately need help because they're expanding the work force, and I'm the only candidate. It's pretty much mine. All I have to do is impress the HR Director.
    Sounds very promising. Go in expecting nothing and give a great first impression and you should be good to go.

Weaknesses are negative. The point is to not offer a weakness that relates to the work you are applying for. There are lots of approaches and this is one that can work but you need to plan it before hand in case it comes up. Trying to think of something on the fly will probably not go over so well. This is why interview prep is important.
    yeah it didn't go over well. I got that last interview sort of last minute so I didn't have much time to prepare and I couldn't think of an answer to that question even though I knew they'd ask, needless to say, not having an answer was probably worse than having some kind of answer. I personally think I'll just go with the, I sometimes take on too much than I can handle/don't ask for help thing. Hopefully that's not too bad.

Do people really ask the "weakness" stuff? I've never been asked that in an interview.
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

I find that people that google for good interview questions because they aren't experienced interviewers ask this question more often. It does come up. Personally I don't ask it. I ask about what people feel their most marketable skills are - and what they would change about their last/current role if they could. Or what they found most challenging about their last project. That is a way to gather similar info and it's usually more honest.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    Do people really ask the "weakness" stuff? I've never been asked that in an interview.
    every legitimate interview I've been on have asked me this question.

Sounds very promising. Go in expecting nothing and give a great first impression and you should be good to go.
    I know I still need to make her want me. This scenario just makes it less stressful for me. I always gets really nervous before big interviews. The last interview I went through, I got so nervous that I became gassy. I got all the farts out in the car, but I ended up burping a couple times during the interview. But thanks for your help!

I know I still need to make her want me. This scenario just makes it less stressful for me. I always gets really nervous before big interviews. The last interview I went through, I got so nervous that I became gassy. I got all the farts out in the car, but I ended up burping a couple times during the interview. But thanks for your help!
    I'm sure you'll do great! Maybe take a GasX before hand, it is supposed to help if you have it before eating! Good luck Robin!!

every legitimate interview I've been on have asked me this question.
    This may be part of it. Any interview I've been on has pretty much been a formality. My job to lose. I've been fortunate enough to have people much higher up refer me. Even for my current position, I was ready for a full on interview that didn't really happen.
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

I wonder if telling the recruiters that I'm a OCD perfectionist with a slightly different use of words would be a major negative. It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

None of those things are really positive.

Jsut perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

None of those things are really positive.
    never said they were, just was wondering how bad they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Jsut perfect.
    wooo my typo was caught and added to a sig, nice. Doesn't really bother me though. I normally only care about things that require effort, such as a project, work, and things I cook. Other than that, I don't even pay attention because it's not important enough to me to where I feel like everything HAS to be perfect. I like doing a good "job" basically.

If you're asked the weakness question and you reply to it with something work related, state what steps you've taken to correct it.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Just got back from the lunch interview. I think it went really well. It was super informal. She didn't even take out a pen and paper.
    She just asked me a few questions, pretty much just about my experience and what I want/expect from her company. She did most of the talking regarding all the tasks and issues that she currently goes through. We joked around a lot, and she poked fun of some of her coworkers that I know. Apparently, there's a quite a few people that I used to work with who work there now.
    She wants to set up another meeting for next week to show me around the facility. Sounds promising!

That's great Robin! When you are invited for the office walkabout, that's usually the final stage/rubber stamping part of the process. Good luck!
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 03-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Just got back from the lunch interview. I think it went really well. It was super informal. She didn't even take out a pen and paper.
    She just asked me a few questions, pretty much just about my experience and what I want/expect from her company. She did most of the talking regarding all the tasks and issues that she currently goes through. We joked around a lot, and she poked fun of some of her coworkers that I know. Apparently, there's a quite a few people that I used to work with who work there now.
    She wants to set up another meeting for next week to show me around the facility. Sounds promising!
    Congrats so far Robin. I don't usually post here but I think it's funny some of the apps I had for IT positions. One guy said he knew computers really really good (well if we are being picky here) because he worked with one at McDonald's (the cash register). On the other end, a dude applied for a Service Desk (Help Desk haha) position and he had multiple computer degree's both college and technical. Strange world... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Congrats so far Robin. I don't usually post here but I think it's funny some of the apps I had for IT positions. One guy said he knew computers really really good (well if we are being picky here) because he worked with one at McDonald's (the cash register). On the other end, a dude applied for a Service Desk (Help Desk haha) position and he had multiple computer degree's both college and technical. Strange world... cr****
    This is my day, every day, all day at work.

I'm about to graduate with my 2 year in CSIT, and I'm betting I'm going to have a hard time getting an internship or an entry level job while I'm still working on my education. When applications/interviewers ask me for my skills, I don't consider JAVA, C++, Visual Basic, to be skills because I only have introductory knowledge and have to still build on that. So not sure how hard it'll be to find a IT position that'll give me some training or let me intern and build experience.

I'm about to graduate with my 2 year in CSIT, and I'm betting I'm going to have a hard time getting an internship or an entry level job while I'm still working on my education. When applications/interviewers ask me for my skills, I don't consider JAVA, C++, Visual Basic, to be skills because I only have introductory knowledge and have to still build on that. So not sure how hard it'll be to find a IT position that'll give me some training or let me intern and build experience.
    My suggestion would be to speak to your school about new grad/internship programs and what employers your school is partnered with to participate in them. You should also get involved with special interest groups and user groups involving the technology you want to work in and start networking. Go to events/meetings and bring your resumes. Talk to Recruiters. Approach Recruiting Agencies and get them a resume and let them know you are available for entry level/junior roles. Talk to every person you know that is employed about the fact that you are looking. Ask if you can send them a resume. The only way to make it happen is to differentiate yourself and get out there and bang on doors. Don't rely on your Resume database/job search websites to do the work for you.

TG, just sitting here watching BB. Do you think there is a future in skype like interviews almost from start to hiring? Resumes on Youtube? I just looked and there were 3 in about the top 40 vids. Maybe those already exist and I am totally out of the loop. ?Just wondering... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Do you think there is a future in skype like interviews almost from start to hiring?
    A friend of mine had a Skype interview last year. She was interviewing for a position out-of-state.
    The person I just interviewed with told me how she recently did a new hire orientation via WebEx.

TG, just sitting here watching BB. Do you think there is a future in skype like interviews almost from start to hiring? Resumes on Youtube? I just looked and there were 3 in about the top 40 vids. Maybe those already exist and I am totally out of the loop. ?Just wondering... cr****
    I don't ever remember seeing a Youtube or video resume that I could take seriously. And to that end I think I've seen a total of two. We do Skype interviews or video conference interviews periodically. But mainly I hire people sight unseen over the phone, and often pay to relocate them when I've never laid an eye on them. If I want to see what someone looks like that badly I can usually find something on LinkedIn. During the reference check process I ask about their professionalism, client facing ability and personal demeanor etc. to weed out someone that sounds good on the phone but comes across poorly in person. For the most part I prefer the traditional means of resume applications because it gives us everything we need to know, and can be perused in a only minute or two. If a video resume were to capture everything I need to see on paper it would be a frigging long video. Boring.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

That's great Robin! When you are invited for the office walkabout, that's usually the final stage/rubber stamping part of the process. Good luck!
    That's what I used to think. Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?