Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Default Re: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

In my case, I have a very unusual first and last name that, it seems, literally no one else in the world has. So that doesn't help.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

same here. though my searches seem to yield basic online profiles and random product reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    same here. though my searches seem to yield basic online profiles and random product reviews.
    My name just reveals all my job postings. It's pretty droll.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

eek, i guess my soundcloud account does too. i only have one song, which is a mario bros. rap i made like 8 years ago. i wonder if i can make that private.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Please let me also sing the praises of ThatGirl, who just helped me land a gig that's substantially better for me than what I am currently doing.

Re: googling - I've googled every person I've considered hiring, and I've overlooked some freaky things (such as: furries). Weird hobbies and kinks I'd overlook since it wasn't my business and I shouldn't have been looking. If I found something that made me think they'd lied on their resume or were unreliable, I'd have a conundrum since you're not supposed to consider information you don't get through proper channels. (Before I look for a job, I clean up my content and also make sure that the stuff I *want* them to see - LinkedIn, relatively boring site profiles -- show up at the top of the search results).
    Last edited by chiapet; 03-12-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Oh, ThatGirl, if you're still doling out advice, sure, I'll take some pointers for my phoner--it's been three years since I've had an interview. It's tomorrow afternoon. I believe the interview is with the HR recruiter himself and not with the hiring manager, but I've asked for clarification.

Right now, I'm just writing down a few bullet points for all of the typical questions I can think they would ask. Like these.

For phone interviews, I usually am trying to convey that I'm articulate, energetic, polite, and that I won't be an embarrassment to the HR person if they bring me in for an interview. Usually softball questions, some behavioral. I've had screening questions regarding compensation and other questions to make sure my resume is consistent with my answers. Don't sweat it.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

On the Googling oneself thing - like Marlo said (and I implied) no company should make a decision based on something they find through that channel, but I have to say as a hiring manager it's too tempting not to look, and like RATA said, why offer them any excuse to rule you out? Not every hiring manager will have the same set of ethics around this -- some of them may not even realize it's wrong for them to make a decision on something that isn't vetted.

I just took a pass at this for myself last week and found a bunch of those personal information sites with incorrect info, some music/event profiles that might be eye raising to someone more conservative (at worst might imply I go out and party a lot), some really questionable photos (yikes - stupid nudes that won't ban you thread), and some really old posts on other boards that made vague references to elicit things. But, I also found posts on professional/technical lists and mundane personal stuff which is good (a completely clear google history seems like you are hiding something, IMO).

I worked on getting the stuff that doesn't represent me the way I want, removed. Created a google+ profile that I'll use more exclusively for colleagues/professional acquaintances (with enough personal stuff that it looks used - my goal is for people to not automatically assumed I'm hiding the real stuff elsewhere); worked on my linkedin profile and made it public; and even created a twitter account I'll use for more business/technical related posts.

So, with maybe 8 hours of my time, now Google coughs up stuff I WANT people to see. Of course there are still some of those people locator site matches, but those exist for everyone and there's nothing interesting on them.

If there's stuff you want to clean up, the first step would be contacting the admins for removal. (I set up a junk email account for the correspondence and if it's a shady site I copy their ISP on the email). Once removed, you can use this link to have it pulled from Google's cache - https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Right now, I'm just writing down a few bullet points for all of the typical questions I can think they would ask. Like these.
    My siblings are recruiters and gave me some awesome advice of flipping the questions on the interviewer. Obviously don't dodge their questions or leave the call without them learning about you -- but they had me jump in by asking a lot of questions about the position. Apparently I deleted the file where I'd noted them down but it was simple stuff like:
    - What is a typical week in this role? (If something where you'd be working on specific projects, what is a typical project time line)?
    - What skills or qualities do you feel made others successful in this role?
    - How would you measure success in this role?
    etc (I added more that were relevant for the jobs I was interviewing for).

The point is to get them talking up front and to basically give you the answers they are looking for. Not only does it help you get a much clearer sense about the job, and it makes it easier to respond and correlate your own experience and qualities to their needs. I got GREAT feedback on this from my interviews -- the interviewers kept saying "wow, that's a great question," and it felt really easy and casual to occasionally follow their statements with an example of where I did what they just described.

Edited to add -- this is especially good for jobs that are a stretch for your experience or in an industry you don't know well yet. Let's just say... I've had a few interviews lately. All were jobs that were a real stretch for me in some way. The two before my siblings prepped me were AWFUL. I was interviewing with VP's who bogged me down with buzzwords and marketing speak at such a high level that I was never 100% sure what they were looking for. I couldn't think of intelligent sounding ways to ask for clarification, so I ended up seeming ill informed and ill equipped for the job. The ones AFTER their prepping all went really well, and any time the conversation felt like it was lagging, or I wasn't sure exactly what they were looking for, I was prepped with a way to get them talking again.
    Last edited by chiapet; 03-13-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Please let me also sing the praises of ThatGirl, who just helped me land a gig that's substantially better for me than what I am currently doing.
    Absolutely my pleasure!!!
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Chiapet makes some great points. Some other general points for interviewing, in particular phone interviews:
    Pace - remember the person can't see your face, they can only hear your voice, so it's important you speak at a measured pace so nothing is lost. Be direct and to the point with your answers -it's important not the let the interview go off on a tangent or get to chatty/comfortable. Be relaxed but focused, and let the interviewer direct the flow of the conversation. If you are asked to talk about a scenario, like a behavioral question, have a few situations on top of mind where you were challenged and succeeded, dealt with someone difficult or were under pressure. Try to see if you can mention situations that would be relevant to the job/description you are applying for. If they ask you about something you have no experience with, be truthful but mention something positive to close, about how you did something similar or a time when you picked up a new skill quickly with relatively little training. Oh and remember to smile. Since they can't see your face, they will want to hear the enthusiasm in your voice. Best of luck and I hope you let us know the outcome!!!
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 03-13-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    In my case, I have a very unusual first and last name that, it seems, literally no one else in the world has. So that doesn't help.
    Aoki I've seen, Rage Aoki I have not.

I've lived and worked in So Cal for many years, but am currently interviewing with a few companies in Chicago, New York, Boston and DC. If/when, they invite me out for an in-person interview, how exactly does that work? Do they book/buy travel and accommodation for you, or do you do this yourself and then have them reimburse you weeks later? Best case scenario, I might end up having in-person interviews in all four cities, but that could get pretty expensive. Already doing some belt-tightening in preparation, but would be good to know how I should be preparing.

They should pay for the arrangements (though don't expect anything too lavish). Perhaps a polite way to clarify that, is when they ask you to come for a face to face interview, ask who you should contact for the travel arrangements on their side?

No, I understand that the standard is for them to pay for it. I'm just wondering if the standard is for them to pay for it in advance, or for them to reimburse you after? The latter could get pretty expensive if I have 5 fly-in interviews in the course of 2-3 weeks. But that is a good suggestion on how to politely ask about travel/accommodations.

As you are not yet an employee, they should cover everything and you should not have to pay for anything up front except maybe your meals. I would expect flight, transport to and from the airport and hotel (if needed) will be billed directly to the company. I would be surprised if this wasn't the case.

Good to know. Thanks, ladies. And, hell, this would be best case scenario. Each of these opportunities is extremely competitive -- I'll be fortunate to get invited out for one of them -- let alone all five.

Sounds like there is tremendous interest in you! Best of luck!

Nah, just good timing.

ThatGirl's comments are my experience as well. Do make sure you ask up front though. If they're not covering expenses (or enough of them), I think it's acceptable to ask them to quantify where you fall on their candidate list, so you don't use money on the jobs you're not likely to get.

Keep good receipts and notes -- if they don't reimburse 100% of the costs, you might want to check to see which portion are tax deductible.

I have experienced both cases -- sometimes companies themselves book everything and pay up front, and other times they let me book and reimburse after the trip. And sometimes they intend to pay directly but someone screws up the reservation and you end up needing to get reimbursed (this happened to me with two nights at a $600/night hotel room in New York City during my fall recruiting cycle with a big-4 consulting firm, and I was not too pleased). And of course there are certain expenses (like taxi use) that would be near impossible for the company to pay for in advance.

If they are flying you in to meet them, they should be wooing you at this stage. Mistakes happen but keep in mind how well they execute this process may be an indicator of how they operate and how smoothly things run. If simply organizing you to come in to interview turns into a total gong show, then I'd be wary.

I recently applied for a position, got a voicemail an hour later expressing interest and asking me to attend a hiring event Wednesday and was told to expect to be with them for 2 hours. Called back a few times to let them know I would be attending but never got an answer so I left a voicemail but no one ever returned my call. I showed up 15 minutes early and was told the hiring event had been rescheduled for Thursday. They apologized for not contacting me and gave me the option to make an appointment so I made the appointment for the start of the hiring event . Showed up 15 minutes early on Thursday, 45 minutes later they were ready for me. I met with the recruiter for about 10 minutes answering all of the usual questions and then they had me sit with an agent an do a side by side for 45 minutes. Then I was taken to the original interview room to meet with a hiring manager. 45 minutes later the hiring manager arrived and asked me the exact same questions the recruiter did. Was given a job offer and told that they would like to "fast track" me and get me in the training class which would begin Monday. They asked me to stay to complete my background check acceptance, which was sent to my personal email. It took me about 15 minutes to get the job offer email, once I accepted the job offer it took another 15 minutes to receive the background check acceptance email. 4 and 1/2 hours after I had arrived, I left to take my drug screening. Once I completed that I was told I would get a call on Friday or Saturday to let me know if I would be starting on Monday. Friday and Saturday went by with no call, I tried to call on Monday but got no answer. I let the week go by assuming that my background check was taking longer than they expected. I sent a follow-up email on Thursday, left a voicemail on Friday and still I have not heard anything from them.

I really am interested in the position, it seems like an easy job with very good pay and it is with a Forbes 500 company. I have thought about going into the office but its quite the commute and I'm not sure what type of message that would send! What should I do?
    Tue 08/12-Diarrhea Planet-Yucca Tap Room
    Thu 08/21-NIN-Chula Vista
    Fri 08/22-NIN-Irvine
    Fri-8/29Classixx-The Crescent Ballroom
    Fri 09/12-STRFKR-Mad Decent Block Party
    Sun 9/14-Old Crow Medicine Show-Mesa Arts Center
    Fri 09/19-Rob Zombie/Powerman 5000-Westworld
    Tue 10/14-Sbtrkt -The Marquee
    Sat 10/18-Mastadon-The Marquee
    Mon 11/03-Yelle-The Crescent Ballroom
    Mon 11/10-DFA 1979-The Marquee
    Tue 11/11-Flying Lotus-The Marquee
    Wed 11/19-Primus-Orpheum Theatre

My first thought is that you didn't pass the drug test or the background check - you said they were accepted - did it mean you passed? A correct background check usually takes some time to complete. However, I have to say the interview process they put you through seemed very bizarre. It reminded me a little of the movie Boiler Room. I can't imagine you wouldn't have heard something by now if they wanted you to start but I would not suggest going to the office unannounced. When applicants do that it makes me insane.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 03-18-2014 at 07:56 AM.

I used synthetic urine and it was right at 98 degrees so that's not the reason. I had to accept a letter of consent for the background check. There is nothing in my background at all that would disqualify me. I've got good credit, no debt, no arrests or convictions. I also marked the box that if I were disqualified because of something in my background check that I would receive a copy of the background check. In my offer letter it does say that if I'm not enrolled in the training class that was discussed that I should be put in the following class which starts next week.

I figured I shouldn't go in, thanks for confirming that!
    Tue 08/12-Diarrhea Planet-Yucca Tap Room
    Thu 08/21-NIN-Chula Vista
    Fri 08/22-NIN-Irvine
    Fri-8/29Classixx-The Crescent Ballroom
    Fri 09/12-STRFKR-Mad Decent Block Party
    Sun 9/14-Old Crow Medicine Show-Mesa Arts Center
    Fri 09/19-Rob Zombie/Powerman 5000-Westworld
    Tue 10/14-Sbtrkt -The Marquee
    Sat 10/18-Mastadon-The Marquee
    Mon 11/03-Yelle-The Crescent Ballroom
    Mon 11/10-DFA 1979-The Marquee
    Tue 11/11-Flying Lotus-The Marquee
    Wed 11/19-Primus-Orpheum Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by fetuspiniata View Post
    I used synthetic urine and it was right at 98 degrees so that's not the reason. I had to accept a letter of consent for the background check. There is nothing in my background at all that would disqualify me. I've got good credit, no debt, no arrests or convictions. I also marked the box that if I were disqualified because of something in my background check that I would receive a copy of the background check. In my offer letter it does say that if I'm not enrolled in the training class that was discussed that I should be put in the following class which starts next week.

I figured I shouldn't go in, thanks for confirming that!
    It's entirely possible they may have discovered you were using fake urine. But if I were you I'd continue your search as though this opportunity has passed, and if they eventually get a hold of you, then great.

That's quite the fast-track'd interview process. Is this one of the big insurance agencies that's constantly recruiting people? Now that I have my resume upon 20+ job sites, I'm getting a half dozen job offers from State Farm, Farmers, AllState etc. everyday. So annoying.

Yea, it really does sound like you failed either the background check or drug test (using synthetic urine if discovered would surely constitute a failure). Calling the hiring manager may not help -- in that situation as a hiring manager, I've also not known what the issue was since I was not allowed to know the details. (Eventually I would be told the candidate failed the pre-employment checks).

Like ThatGirl said, proceed as if you didn't get it, though I don't think it would be out of line to call and ask who you could speak to that would know the status of your application.

Anyone here interviewed with one of the bigger consumer-centric (as opposed to B2B, like Salesforce or SAS) companies in Silicon Valley / San Jose / San Francisco? You know... Google, Facebook, Apple, Ebay,Yahoo, Twitter etc. One of them has asked me for my availability over the next two weeks. To varying degrees, they're all known for their rigorous and, at times, byzantine recruitment processes and some of them are know for having very challenging interviews in which the applicant is asked creative and unconventional questions. So, anyone been through this process? Would love to hear any feedback you have.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 03-24-2014 at 01:27 AM.

I hope someone can step up with info as I have no background with this! Thanks folks!