Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Default Re: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Thanks for sharing this.

I have sort of been in the mindset that I need to get some big names on my resume as a career-switcher so that I will be taken seriously in the business world, and then once I have those heavy-hitters in my experience set, I can move on to a smaller company that might be a better fit culturally or whatever. But what you wrote helps me to think about the other side -- that maybe by working first in a smaller company, I would gain a much broader set of knowledge because I could work on a project from start to completion or even cross-functionally instead of just having a teeny tiny sliver of specialized responsibilities in a massive pie of people all working on the same thing. It's worth reconsidering.

I also do think that working for a company that is in a growth position is probably important -- and something to consider given that so many people around here work for that tech company that starts with M and ends with soft.
    I understand your predicament a little better now, especially considering you've switched up career paths - it's probably important to establish yourself at a larger company to build the resume and to give yourself some street cred. Maybe I underestimate my experience, I've only been at my company for a year, prior to that I was at an employer who was the in the top 5 of the profession globally and a very reputable company. Therefore, I probably (albeit unintentionally) established myself and now I'm able to reap the fruits of 9 years of my last employer.

So, with that said, you may have to make some sacrifices on your wishlist - growth may not be fast but as long as you show progress that will be important. You may work with douchebags, and it could be a rat race, but the experience will prep you for your next venture and give your resume some meat.

The best piece of advice I can give you is have a clear picture as to what you want to do when you walk into that interview, wherever it may be.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I am no longer freaking out. I have 4 interviews scheduled between now and Tuesday with a job I can go straight into if needed. My resume is pretty impressive apparently. Yay! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

It's great you'll have some choices. Good luck Loca!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

old school

Hey ThatGirl, I'm going to start applying to general unskilled positions (aiming for remote camp work in BC/AB) but am unsure on the best way for them to take me seriously. I had a 4 month stint last year which ended due to going back to school and my last job was foodservice which ended in June before I went travelling. Now I am back and taking a break from school so I am wondering what is the best way to convince any potential employer of my gap year/seriousness for this work and for them to take me on? All I really have is 3/4 of an Arts degree, 4 months (with a very good letter of reference) up there as a "helper", and food service jobs.

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    Hey ThatGirl, I'm going to start applying to general unskilled positions (aiming for remote camp work in BC/AB) but am unsure on the best way for them to take me seriously. I had a 4 month stint last year which ended due to going back to school and my last job was foodservice which ended in June before I went travelling. Now I am back and taking a break from school so I am wondering what is the best way to convince any potential employer of my gap year/seriousness for this work and for them to take me on? All I really have is 3/4 of an Arts degree, 4 months (with a very good letter of reference) up there as a "helper", and food service jobs.

Help!
    At this point the only thing you will have going for you is your honesty. You are being frank about your amount of work experience, and in the field area, willingness and an able body are often enough. But - If I were you I'd apply everywhere possible, talk to field recruiters, and find out who else you know works in the field and can put in a good word for you. As much as you think you are at a disadvantage, willingness and tenaciousness go a long way.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

fukk honesty.. say you were in school that's why there's a gap
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    fukk honesty.. say you were in school that's why there's a gap
    He was in school for part of the time - and travel is not always considered a bad thing. Honesty can go a long way as it speaks to integrity. A background check that produces proof of deception would end up being worse in the long run.

lie at the interview. Forget all this mumble jumble about feelings and honesty.. fuck dat noize

your job performance will speak for itself once you're in the position..

The End

I'd love to be a bug on the wall at your next job interview, Bug.

pervert

She is.

I'm applying to work in a few different cities, and I have a feeling I won't be considered if I don't live IN the city. I talked with a recruiter who lived out in California who said that I should put my friend's address on my resume in order to be considered. I did this, I didn't get the job but I did get a phone interview.

Is this something that is done often - putting a friend's address on a resume if you're applying to work in a different city? I'm just wondering if I should use my parents' address in Kansas City if I'm applying for jobs there, or a friend's address if I'm applying for jobs in Chicago.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I'm applying to work in a few different cities, and I have a feeling I won't be considered if I don't live IN the city. I talked with a recruiter who lived out in California who said that I should put my friend's address on my resume in order to be considered. I did this, I didn't get the job but I did get a phone interview.

Is this something that is done often - putting a friend's address on a resume if you're applying to work in a different city? I'm just wondering if I should use my parents' address in Kansas City if I'm applying for jobs there, or a friend's address if I'm applying for jobs in Chicago.
    Um no. Lots of people apply to out of town roles -but you should let them know you will move at your own expense if a job is offered. I would never put a fake address on a resume. A lot of out of country applicants do this and to be honest, it pisses me off.

Marlo, as you know I have had a lot of recent job changes. The company that hired me only interviewed me after emailing me and asking me to explain why I haven't stuck to one job for very long in the more recent years. I had assumed anyone in the construction industry would know the answer to that, but I was wrong. It got me to thinking how many potential employers tossed my resume without ever asking the question. In my resume I list my start month/year for each job, but don't explain that 3 of those companies went out of business. Would it be more appropriate to list the reason for leaving on the resume, or give a brief explanation in my cover letter? Or would it be better to just cut a job or two and extend my time frame on another job, even if it means losing some of my experience?

The part of your resume where you put the dates next to your jobs, may I suggest adding (defunct as of July '12) or (BK in Q4'12) in parentheses next to the name of the company. Use date formats broad enough to align with the dates you left the various companies so that one could easily deduct the reason for your departure.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but our company is hiring a customer support rep in Nashville. And if you're the type of person who posts on the Coachella forum, you're likely to fit into the company culture haha. Job posting is here.
    "If you've lost your faith in love and music, the end won't be long." -The Libertines

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Marlo, as you know I have had a lot of recent job changes. The company that hired me only interviewed me after emailing me and asking me to explain why I haven't stuck to one job for very long in the more recent years. I had assumed anyone in the construction industry would know the answer to that, but I was wrong. It got me to thinking how many potential employers tossed my resume without ever asking the question. In my resume I list my start month/year for each job, but don't explain that 3 of those companies went out of business.
    I'm not sure about other recruiters out there, but I'm ok with seeing [Out of Business] next to the company's name.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Would it be more appropriate to list the reason for leaving on the resume, or give a brief explanation in my cover letter? Or would it be better to just cut a job or two and extend my time frame on another job, even if it means losing some of my experience?
    NEVER exaggerate your dates of employment. If the company you are applying to does a background check on you, it may give them the impression that you're a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I'm not sure about other recruiters out there, but I'm ok with seeing [Out of Business] next to the company's name.
    I'm fine with it too, and in your case with it happening at 3 different employers this is a good idea.

NEVER exaggerate your dates of employment. If the company you are applying to does a background check on you, it may give them the impression that you're a liar.
    Robin is right again. Messing with dates is a deadly mistake. I often see candidates I've been aware of for years, and usually have old or outdated resumes kicking around in our database. Good recruiters keep old versions on file for this reason. I have caught several applicants in the act of editing out an employer or changing dates to try and cover up something. Never do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Messing with dates is a deadly mistake. ... Never do this.
    yep
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will make those changes for future job searches. I am hoping I can just retire from the company I am going to though. If I never have to go on another interview again I would be fucking happy!

Robin is right again. Messing with dates is a deadly mistake.
    I agree with this, but I do also think it is ok if you change this:

Company W January 2002 - Present
    Company X October 2001 - November 2001
    Company Y May 1999 - October 2001
    Company Z January 1996 - January 1999

To this:

Company W 2002 - Present
    Company Y 1999 - 2001
    Company Z 1996 - 1999
    Last edited by Courtney; 10-10-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Personally, I don't like it when the résumé just shows years. There's a huge difference between one month and twelve months. It makes me question if the candidate is trying to hide a poor employment history.

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I have caught several applicants in the act of editing out an employer
    I'm assuming you mean dropping an employer/position from your resume where there a negative reason you left that job?

I've been considering dropping an employer from my resume, simply because my resume will be long-ish and that position isn't very meaningful in the overall scope of things. (It was a short term contract at a reasonably prestigious company, right before I was unemployed for almost a year -- but I've had no gaps in employment in the last 10 years and been at my current company for more than 5 years). Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I'm assuming you mean dropping an employer/position from your resume where there a negative reason you left that job?

I've been considering dropping an employer from my resume, simply because my resume will be long-ish and that position isn't very meaningful in the overall scope of things. (It was a short term contract at a reasonably prestigious company, right before I was unemployed for almost a year -- but I've had no gaps in employment in the last 10 years and been at my current company for more than 5 years). Thoughts?
    If you have had no gaps for 10 years and it's unrelated work then it's justifiable. As you go through your career you can eliminate very dated or unrelated roles if it doesn't help to keep your resume marketable. The type of date gaps that concern me are when I see recent work history (5 years or less) where dates are altered to eliminate an employer, or appear that the applicant is falsely claiming to have been with an employer for longer than they actually were, in order to cover up a gap or a negative work experience.

Personally, I don't like it when the résumé just shows years. There's a huge difference between one month and twelve months. It makes me question if the candidate is trying to hide a poor employment history.
    YES. When I see "2011 to 2012" I always ask for clarification on what month they started and finished. Listing both months and years are a must.

So - my 2 previous jobs were short term (6 months, then 1 year), because I was given those jobs while my coworkers were out on maternity leave. Also, the 6 month job was a more prestigious job title than the once that followed (though the pay scale was pretty similar). When I was unemployed and talking to an agency, one of the questions that they asked was "Why did you work here for only this long and why did you move down, not up?"

How do I address that in my resume/cover letter and how badly does that look to people just glossing over my resume?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    So - my 2 previous jobs were short term (6 months, then 1 year), because I was given those jobs while my coworkers were out on maternity leave. Also, the 6 month job was a more prestigious job title than the once that followed (though the pay scale was pretty similar). When I was unemployed and talking to an agency, one of the questions that they asked was "Why did you work here for only this long and why did you move down, not up?"

How do I address that in my resume/cover letter and how badly does that look to people just glossing over my resume?
    I would put in brackets (maternity leave backfill) on the resume by the dates, and during the interview reiterate that it was a short term position to cover for her/their absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I agree with this, but I do also think it is ok if you change this:

Company W January 2002 - Present
    Company X October 2001 - November 2001
    Company Y May 1999 - October 2001
    Company Z January 1996 - January 1999

To this:

Company W 2002 - Present
    Company Y 1999 - 2001
    Company Z 1996 - 1999
    This tactic is less suspect, but if there is any old record or resume the employer can come up with to show you had worked for Company X and you chose not to include it, it could be problematic.

This tactic is less suspect, but if there is any old record or resume the employer can come up with to show you had worked for Company X and you chose not to include it, it could be problematic.
    Really? I feel like if it was a 2-month position, and over 10 years ago, it's totally ridiculous to keep it on -- who needs to know in detail all the irrelevant things people have done in previous work lives?
    Last edited by Courtney; 10-10-2013 at 07:42 PM.