Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Default Re: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I don't ever remember seeing a Youtube or video resume that I could take seriously. And to that end I think I've seen a total of two. We do Skype interviews or video conference interviews periodically. But mainly I hire people sight unseen over the phone, and often pay to relocate them when I've never laid an eye on them. If I want to see what someone looks like that badly I can usually find something on LinkedIn. During the reference check process I ask about their professionalism, client facing ability and personal demeanor etc. to weed out someone that sounds good on the phone but comes across poorly in person. For the most part I prefer the traditional means of resume applications because it gives us everything we need to know, and can be perused in a only minute or two. If a video resume were to capture everything I need to see on paper it would be a frigging long video. Boring.
    Aww that's too bad. I guess I am a techno geek when it comes things like that. I can just see with 3D vids, HD cheap recorders, GoPro's, you could say "nothing" about a job for 60 seconds and just wow someone with that. I guess in some sort of credits, you could put a one page resume. Guess it's a good thing I'm not looking for a job. I love the wow factor but yes a 4 page paper or email resume is too much just like a 5 minute vid would be too much. Damn, I even hate phone answering intros that are over a few seconds long. Hello, Please leave a message. I am busy. Then put it on short ring, not friggin 10 rings b4 it lets you leave a msg. Sorry all over the place there . cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

PROOFREAD YOUR RESUMES. I'm once again helping with hiring for a position within our company and the amount of typos, weird formatting errors, and misspellings is driving me crazy.

RESEARCH THE COMPANY THAT CALLED YOU TO INTERVIEW, EVEN IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH WHAT THEY DO. I've been starting my interviews by asking, "What do you know about our company?" and people give such vague answers and look terrified. They seem to come prepared to answer other interview questions, but not this one.

/rant about interviewing before I interview 5 more people today
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    PROOFREAD YOUR RESUMES. I'm once again helping with hiring for a position within our company and the amount of typos, weird formatting errors, and misspellings is driving me crazy.

RESEARCH THE COMPANY THAT CALLED YOU TO INTERVIEW, EVEN IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH WHAT THEY DO. I've been starting my interviews by asking, "What do you know about our company?" and people give such vague answers and look terrified. They seem to come prepared to answer other interview questions, but not this one.

/rant about interviewing before I interview 5 more people today
    I feel your pain Casey. It often surprises me the amount of people that apply to our positions but know nothing about our organization. I wouldn't even put in a resume unless I had some idea that I really wanted to work there. I always tell people to come armed with a couple of questions about the company that they can formulate after doing some research.

As for the resumes - it can be tough to find even one that's truly perfect, but when there are really glaring grammatical or spelling errors it's concerning. In the case of ESL folks that are highly technical I can be a little forgiving, but still have pretty high expectations.

Try not to get too jaded before the end of the day! I hope one of the candidates leaves you pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I feel your pain Casey. It often surprises me the amount of people that apply to our positions but know nothing about our organization. I wouldn't even put in a resume unless I had some idea that I really wanted to work there. I always tell people to come armed with a couple of questions about the company that they can formulate after doing some research.

As for the resumes - it can be tough to find even one that's truly perfect, but when there are really glaring grammatical or spelling errors it's concerning. In the case of ESL folks that are highly technical I can be a little forgiving, but still have pretty high expectations.

Try not to get too jaded before the end of the day! I hope one of the candidates leaves you pleasantly surprised.
    I hope so too. I've already interviewed 8 people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Formal interview tomorrow afternoon with a panel of people. Nerves.
    I also need to figure out how I can miss more work from my current employment for this.

Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Formal interview tomorrow afternoon with a panel of people. Nerves.
    I also need to figure out how I can miss more work from my current employment for this.
    The only thing you should need to say is that you have an appointment. I'm pretty sure for them to ask you for details would be considered an invasion of your privacy. Panel interviews can be daunting - But I'm sure you'll do great! Just remember to make eye contact equally across the panel when answering questions. I can tell you of several people that have been written off because someone on the panel felt ignored / disrespected. Good luck Robin!!
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

I used the appointment excuse last time. I do have comp time from working the holiday, so I can most likely pull that off.

Turns out that it's not a panel. It's back-to-back interviews with 3 people, and I already know 2 of them.

I used the appointment excuse last time. I do have comp time from working the holiday, so I can most likely pull that off.

Turns out that it's not a panel. It's back-to-back interviews with 3 people, and I already know 2 of them.
    Oh that's easier then - hopefully it goes well! Keep us posted!

3 hours of pretty much just bullshitting. They want to offer me the position. I should be getting the offer letter tomorrow. Negotiated $10K more than the original starting salary (which is $30K more than what I'm currently making) plus 2 extra weeks of vacation.

3 hours of pretty much just bullshitting. They want to offer me the position. I should be getting the offer letter tomorrow. Negotiated $10K more than the original starting salary (which is $30K more than what I'm currently making) plus 2 extra weeks of vacation.
    That's terrific! We'll toast to it next Thursday night. I got a 2% raise today. Not much but something.

Lol. I guess I have no excuse not to go to Coachella now, unless they rescind their offer.

Congrats on the raise!

I am looking for a job within the music industry. I have experience in various areas: festival production, indie record label intern and currently assistant to a tour/day-to-day artist manager. I'm looking to get into artist management especially anything tour related but I am having a difficult time breaking it. It's all about knowing people and I am always trying to network but I know there is always more I could be doing. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jaweb View Post
    I am looking for a job within the music industry. I have experience in various areas: festival production, indie record label intern and currently assistant to a tour/day-to-day artist manager. I'm looking to get into artist management especially anything tour related but I am having a difficult time breaking it. It's all about knowing people and I am always trying to network but I know there is always more I could be doing. Any suggestions?
    The music industry isn't familiar for me, but I would expect the best way to get noticed is to differentiate yourself. Here's what I would do - be consistent and persistent. If you are already an assistant to an artist manager, ask if you can volunteer your time at an event or a function, unpaid, and ask if this person would be willing to mentor you. Offer to do stuff for nothing in return, so you can learn, prove yourself and continue to expand your connections and your knowledge. You already have some industry experience but if you want to break into a specific area you may have to take a step back.

Isn't there a limit, though, to offering yourself up for free? Don't you have to demonstrate that you have value at some point? At what point do you need to show that you're not just free labor?
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Isn't there a limit, though, to offering yourself up for free? Don't you have to demonstrate that you have value at some point? At what point do you need to show that you're not just free labor?
    I'd say when you are at the point where you've proven and demonstrated you are capable of performing the tasks required, and are worth paying for. Showing initiative and going above and beyond makes a big difference. Keep in mind not everyone needs to know you are unpaid. You can be present, doing the work, and visible to anyone that may need your services in future.

I've done a lot of unpaid volunteer work and have gained much experience from those opportunities. I'm not giving up- I know this isn't easy. I just don't know what else I could be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jaweb View Post
    I've done a lot of unpaid volunteer work and have gained much experience from those opportunities. I'm not giving up- I know this isn't easy. I just don't know what else I could be doing.
    I'm sure it's a tough spot. Especially when there are so many people that want into the business. Do you think your employer might be open to letting you take on a client that he/she may not have time for?

Nothing's more encouraging than uploading a resume for a position that highlights your attention to detail and forgetting to change your phone number so that you can actually be reached to interview for the position.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Nothing's more encouraging than uploading a resume for a position that highlights your attention to detail and forgetting to change your phone number so that you can actually be reached to interview for the position.
    Send a replacement application and apologize for the oversight. It's better than leaving it - it will give you a chance to be considered and show you aren't afraid to take action to correct a mistake. Hope they call you!

Send a replacement application and apologize for the oversight. It's better than leaving it - it will give you a chance to be considered and show you aren't afraid to take action to correct a mistake. Hope they call you!
    Luckily it's a position within the university I already work for, so I called HR right away and they fixed it. Cus they love me.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Luckily it's a position within the university I already work for, so I called HR right away and they fixed it. Cus they love me.
    Winner.

Well, I have an interview for that position next week. Part of the interview involves a skills test where I have to compose a memo and make an Excel spreadsheet. Excel spreadsheet makes me sort of nervous. Like, I can use the program and have in the past cus it's pretty easy to figure out, but I wouldn't say that I'm a pro or know everything about it. Studying up for this is going to severely cut into my Candy Crushing time.

Also applying to another position at the university that I'm well qualified for that was listed today. Really hoping I can stay working here. Really hoping I can stay working on this campus.

Good luck, Gue.

Good luck Guedita!! It's too bad they can't give you more specifics on what's needed for the Excel test - that would make me nervous too. But since you have a good track record at the school already I'm sure you have a good chance.

To be honest I'm offended that there has to be an interview at all. I expect to be hired sight unseen.

I didn't include a headshot with this application, though.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-17-2013 at 11:31 AM.

18 months ago I had an interview in LA.... bombed it. :/ I'm pretty sure that's why no one ELSE in LA was getting back to me in the following months... these places talk to each other ...
    Fricken learned my lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    18 months ago I had an interview in LA.... bombed it. :/ I'm pretty sure that's why no one ELSE in LA was getting back to me in the following months... these places talk to each other ...
    Fricken learned my lesson.
    You must have worked in a relatively small industry for that kind of talk to get around about only an interview - if you worked somewhere and it was a disaster then I think that would be more likely. Can you share details?

Yep, architecture firms talk to each other.
    And I read an article more recently (Monster.com, maybe?) that said it's commonplace for lots of industries to do that. :/
    I don't wanna get into the details... I was just especially ditzy that day.

That's awesome, Cara! Best of luck on your interviews!

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    Yep, architecture firms talk to each other.
    And I read an article more recently (Monster.com, maybe?) that said it's commonplace for lots of industries to do that. :/
    I don't wanna get into the details... I was just especially ditzy that day.
    I can't even count the number of times I got or gave an "off the record" reference.