Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Default Re: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    I am being heavily recruited by another organization to apply for a new position. However, the position is only 60% time, so 3 days a week. I initially turned the opportunity down because it's not full time, but now the new organization is throwing out some interesting ideas.

The supervisor over at the new organization want me to accept the 60% position then ask my current supervisor if I can work here the other 40%. The supervisor at the new organization also let me know that the part time position now has full benefits included. The new position would be with the government, so I would have great retirement benefits, and the amount I would contribute bi-weekly for health as a part-time employee would actually be less than what I contribute bi-weekly at my current position as a full-time employee. And, she said that eventually a full-time position will open, they just don't have the budget at the moment. The combined salary would also be a significant increase over what I currently make now as a normal full time employee.

I don't think asking to reduce my effort here at my current job to 40% would be that crazy of a request but how would I even go about talking to my boss to see if it is possible without them thinking I'm going to bolt the second a full time position opens up at the new organization? It seems like too good of an opportunity to pass up and I don't want to piss off either side because then I could end up SOL with just a part time or no position at all. I'm also worried about taking 2 part time positions in my field because it could easily turn into 2 full time positions.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
    Would you be able to make a living solely off the 60% job? If so, then this can be used to your benefit. By letting your current employer know that there is a better offer out there, they might have a counter offer for you. If there is a counter offer, then bring that information to the new organization. If there is no counter offer, then ask if you can change your status to full time. The worst that can happen is you lose your current job, but you still have the 60% job.

Sorry... not thinking clearly at the moment.

But there are many factors you have to think about before approaching/accepting/declining, etc.
    - Is there a guarantee for full time or possibility?
    - Which job would make you more content?
    - Benefits. You may be paying less, but is the package equal or better?
    - Your current position: Is it easy to replace you, or do you have job security?

Pretty sure there are a lot of other things to think about, but.... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Would you be able to make a living solely off the 60% job? If so, then this can be used to your benefit. By letting your current employer know that there is a better offer out there, they might have a counter offer for you. If there is a counter offer, then bring that information to the new organization. If there is no counter offer, then ask if you can change your status to full time. The worst that can happen is you lose your current job, but you still have the 60% job.
    I have to say I disagree with Robin on this. Counter offers aren't a good thing. They are made to accomodate the company, not you - and only after you have threatened to leave them. You are now out of the company's inner circle, will not be considered for promotion, and anything you may have been unhappy about in your current role, other than the extra cash, is still a problem for you.

Also - you use a counter offer to try and negotiate with your new employer, they may feel you are playing one against the other and it may affect their opinion of you in this situation. Don't play employers or offers off eachother. It rarely turns out in your favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    No worries, I check my email daily.
    Ok, I e-mailed it. The format (bolding, italics, size, margins, spacing, etc) is a non-negotiable because everyone at in my program is supposed to use an identical format so that the resumes are standardized when they go out in a big book to companies.

What I'd really like help on is (1) feedback about whether my "job descriptor statements" immediately under the title for each job are too long and non-impressive, (2) whether my bullet points need more syntactical variation, (3) whether I need to beef up that "skills and activities" section and if so how.

Thank you thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Ok, I e-mailed it. The format (bolding, italics, size, margins, spacing, etc) is a non-negotiable because everyone at in my program is supposed to use an identical format so that the resumes are standardized when they go out in a big book to companies.

What I'd really like help on is (1) feedback about whether my "job descriptor statements" immediately under the title for each job are too long and non-impressive, (2) whether my bullet points need more syntactical variation, (3) whether I need to beef up that "skills and activities" section and if so how.

Thank you thank you!
    Just mailed you back a few suggestions!
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Got them! Thank you! Sadly part of the required format is that it must be one page, but I think I can definitely fit in abother couple lines as you suggest.

I would say you are taking a big risk asking your current employer to reduce your work week by 60 percent. I know you say it's not crazy but I think it's a big deal. If I told my employer I was going to reduce my work week from 5 days to 2 days a week I'd get laughed out of the office.

If they say no, that won't work, and you choose not to take the 60 percent role, you remain at your original employer where your loyalty to them is in question, because you've considered a different opportunity. If you take the 60 percent position and are making less, even with the better benefits program, you run the risk that the full time position doesn't happen. EVER.

When a company is recruiting you they can tell you all sorts of things to lure you in. Unless you have something in writing about a date when this new full time position will become active, they can keep it in a holding pattern indefinitely.

If I were in your same position - I'd consider a few things. Were you looking for a new role when they approached you? Are you in a hurry to leave your current role? Are you happy in your job? If you were content and not actively looking, then I'd ask the new potential employer to please contact you when a full time role comes up. You don't see it being realistic that your employer reduce your workweek by 60 percent in order to accomodate another company, and you require a full time position for its compensation.
    Sorry... not thinking clearly at the moment.

But there are many factors you have to think about before approaching/accepting/declining, etc.
    - Is there a guarantee for full time or possibility?
    - Which job would make you more content?
    - Benefits. You may be paying less, but is the package equal or better?
    - Your current position: Is it easy to replace you, or do you have job security?

Pretty sure there are a lot of other things to think about, but.... yeah.
    I have to say I disagree with Robin on this. Counter offers aren't a good thing. They are made to accomodate the company, not you - and only after you have threatened to leave them. You are now out of the company's inner circle, will not be considered for promotion, and anything you may have been unhappy about in your current role, other than the extra cash, is still a problem for you.

Also - you use a counter offer to try and negotiate with your new employer, they may feel you are playing one against the other and it may affect their opinion of you in this situation. Don't play employers or offers off eachother. It rarely turns out in your favor.
    Honestly, after re-thinking about the 60% offer, I think ThatGirl is right. I'm sure my current employer would be open to it, but definitely not happy. I'm going to talk with the other organization that has the 60% opening this afternoon and let them know that I can't accept anything less than full time, and I really don't think my current employer would be too happy with me moving down to 40%.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Honestly, after re-thinking about the 60% offer, I think ThatGirl is right. I'm sure my current employer would be open to it, but definitely not happy. I'm going to talk with the other organization that has the 60% opening this afternoon and let them know that I can't accept anything less than full time, and I really don't think my current employer would be too happy with me moving down to 40%.
    Glad to help. Hopefully the other company will eventually get approval for a full time role and you'll be first on the list for them to call! Keep us posted!

A head hunter found my resume online and is submitting me for a position at a new company, I just got a call from one of my references to let me know they are checking on me and appear to be really interested. It would be awesome to come back from vacation to turn in my 2 weeks notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    A head hunter found my resume online and is submitting me for a position at a new company, I just got a call from one of my references to let me know they are checking on me and appear to be really interested. It would be awesome to come back from vacation to turn in my 2 weeks notice.
    Hey that sounds very promising! Have you interviewed, or have they set something up for you to meet the client?

I did a quick phone interview with the head hunter and they are going to schedule me to meet the client hopefully tomorrow or early Friday before I take off. It's a little scary because it's a temp to perm position, so I have to go in and wow them so they buy out my contract and hire me on permanently. If not I could be out of work in 6 months, but it's closer to home and more money than what I make now. I figure I have to take the chance. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I did a quick phone interview with the head hunter and they are going to schedule me to meet the client hopefully tomorrow or early Friday before I take off. It's a little scary because it's a temp to perm position, so I have to go in and wow them so they buy out my contract and hire me on permanently. If not I could be out of work in 6 months, but it's closer to home and more money than what I make now. I figure I have to take the chance. :-/
    You always miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. If it sounds like a better position and more money it's worth the risk, even in a temp-to-perm situation. If you want some interview prep I can help you with that! Let me know.

Thank you! I might try to take you up on that if time permits. I have so much to do between now and Friday though, I am not even sure how I am going to fit the interview in. I will let you know.

I went in for an interview for a new job about 1.5 months ago, and after the interview was over I never heard back from them. I sent them actual thank you cards in the mail and a couple follow-up emails and never received a reply. So I'm sitting here at work about 3 hours ago, and my phone rings. I pick it up, and it's one of the people I interviewed with 1.5 months ago. She asks if I can come in for a second interview at noon today straight out of the blue. I let her know that should be fine, but I'm only in jeans and a polo shirt, which she says is fine. I let her know I'm looking forward to it, and then hang up the phone. After I hang up I realize I left my car at home since I took the bus into work! I think to myself, "I'm not calling back and canceling, I'm making this happen", so I run over to a hotel close to my work and jump in a taxi up to the potential new employer. I meet with them, and they basically offer me the job. And then one of the 2 people I met with again gave me a ride back to my current employer which was great. So I'm fucking psyched right now! What an incredible start to the weekend. And to top it all off my current employer is letting everyone out at 2pm today! And it gets even better, my buddies run a pub walking distance from my work and they are featuring a local brewery's beers at happy hour prices all weekend! I'm leaving to go over there right now!
    Last edited by westcoastpirate; 08-31-2012 at 01:01 PM.

I went in for an interview for a new job about 1.5 months ago, and after the interview was over I never heard back from them. I sent them actual thank you cards in the mail and a couple follow-up emails and never received a reply. So I'm sitting here at work about 3 hours ago, and my phone rings. I pick it up, and it's one of the people I interviewed with 1.5 months ago. She asks if I can come in for a second interview at noon today straight out of the blue. I let her know that should be fine, but I'm only in jeans and a polo shirt, which she says is fine. I let her know I'm looking forward to it, and then hang up the phone. After I hang up I realize I left my car at home since I took the bus into work! I think to myself, "I'm not calling back and canceling, I'm making this happen", so I run over to a hotel close to my work and jump in a taxi up to the potential new employer. I meet with them, and they basically offer me the job. Fucking psyched right now! And then one of the 2 people I met with again gave me a ride back to my current employer. What a great start to the weekend, and at my current employer they are letting everyone out at 2pm today!
    That is so great! I take it this isn't the same employer that offered you the 40% time position? What sort of role is it? Did you accept on the spot?

That is so great! I take it this isn't the same employer that offered you the 40% time position? What sort of role is it? Did you accept on the spot?
    This isn't the 60/40 split, I actually talked to my current boss about that casually, and she didn't like the idea. However, she said she would match the combined salary of the 60/40 so I could stay here at 100%. What's crazy is that I talked to my boss about this yesterday. So I'm going to look like a complete asshat when I resign for a completely new position. The new position is a larger role, and about a 25% increase over my current salary. I need to send the potential new employer my references when I get home, and after they check those we should be able to wrap everything up.

Wow, great news, Tomas!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I shouldn't be hitting the gas so hard, I mean the paperwork hasn't been signed yet. But it looks about 90% likely.

So I had an interview earlier today and the person conducting it seemed to be super distracted. He was constantly giving a blank stare not in my eyes when I was asking the questions, even asked me to repeat some things that I've said. And it felt like he was just rushing it to get it done with. It sucks because I felt like I gave an awesome interview. Is this a sign of him just has something else going on or should I assume that they have already picked someone else and just doing the formality of the interview?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

This isn't the 60/40 split, I actually talked to my current boss about that casually, and she didn't like the idea. However, she said she would match the combined salary of the 60/40 so I could stay here at 100%. What's crazy is that I talked to my boss about this yesterday. So I'm going to look like a complete asshat when I resign for a completely new position. The new position is a larger role, and about a 25% increase over my current salary. I need to send the potential new employer my references when I get home, and after they check those we should be able to wrap everything up.
    You may look like an asshat but you will be a significantly wealthier, non stupid asshat. Good on you!! Hope it comes through 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    So I had an interview earlier today and the person conducting it seemed to be super distracted. He was constantly giving a blank stare not in my eyes when I was asking the questions, even asked me to repeat some things that I've said. And it felt like he was just rushing it to get it done with. It sucks because I felt like I gave an awesome interview. Is this a sign of him just has something else going on or should I assume that they have already picked someone else and just doing the formality of the interview?
    I wouldn't assume anything - just like you can blow an interview when you want a job an interviewer can have an off day too. Send a thank you email and leave the door open for follow up. Good luck!

Turns out I was right in my assumption. I already received an email saying the position has already been filled. I understand if they found someone better then me, I'm just upset that I drove about an hour each way for that bs interview. To me it would have been better if they just let me know prior and told me they filled the position instead of me wasting my time and gas mileage on that. Oh well live and learn right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Turns out I was right in my assumption. I already received an email saying the position has already been filled. I understand if they found someone better then me, I'm just upset that I drove about an hour each way for that bs interview. To me it would have been better if they just let me know prior and told me they filled the position instead of me wasting my time and gas mileage on that. Oh well live and learn right?
    The professional thing to do would have been to tell you a selection had been made so you didn't waste your time; but perhaps they wanted to make notes on your interview in case they have another opening or it doesn't work out with the person they chose. In any case you can't really tell these things are going to happen before hand so they can't be prevented. Hope your next one goes better!

On a resume, is it more appropriate to write out numbers?

"Over thirteen years of experience"

or

"Over 13 years of experience"

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Personally, I like having the numbers spelled out. And no contractions. I think it looks more professional that way. Not sure how others feel about it, or if they even care.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    On a resume, is it more appropriate to write out numbers?

"Over thirteen years of experience"

or

"Over 13 years of experience"
    There is a general rule about this. If the number is less than 10 you write it out in letters. More than 10, you can use the numbers. Simple.

I have accepted the new position and everything was worked out over the prior week while I was on vacation. Salary negotiations are not fun while on the phone at an amusement park. Anyways, my first day back from vacation with my current employer is tomorrow, and I am going to submit my letter of resignation. I double-checked our employee handbook and it states that you only need to give a minimum two weeks notice or you may not be eligible to be paid out your remaining vacation time. Would it be improper to state my termination date 2 Fridays from now, which would be 2 business weeks? Or does it make any sense to make my last day 2 Mondays from now, which is calendar weeks? To be honest, I should stick it out through Oct 5th which is a huge deadline at my current job, but I worked out the start date as Oct 8th with my new employer and they already have a large project for me to work on due on Oct 15th. I really don't want to jump from one deadline into the next and wanted the week that Oct 5th falls in to decompress and get ready mentally for the new position.

Kind of not getting any sleep right now thinking about this.
    Last edited by westcoastpirate; 09-17-2012 at 12:09 AM.

I have accepted the new position and everything was worked out over the prior week while I was on vacation. Salary negotiations are not fun while on the phone at an amusement park. Anyways, my first day back from vacation with my current employer is tomorrow, and I am going to submit my letter of resignation. I double-checked our employee handbook and it states that you only need to give a minimum two weeks notice or you may not be eligible to be paid out your remaining vacation time. Would it be improper to state my termination date 2 Fridays from now, which would be 2 business weeks? Or does it make any sense to make my last day 2 Mondays from now, which is calendar weeks? To be honest, I should stick it out through Oct 5th which is a huge deadline at my current job, but I worked out the start date as Oct 8th with my new employer and they already have a large project for me to work on due on Oct 15th. I really don't want to jump from one deadline into the next and wanted the week that Oct 5th falls in to decompress and get ready mentally for the new position.

Kind of not getting any sleep right now thinking about this.
    Technically, if you work today and until the end of next week you should be fulfulling your obligation to your employer, depending on the exact verbiage in your employee handbook. Two weeks, with 10 working days, is considered a two week (calendar) day notice period.

If you feel concern about leaving them in the middle of the project deadline, and want to be helpful, you could always let them know you could be available for consultation during that third week (Oct 1 to 5th) if required, even though you legally don't have to. That way you aren't leaving them in a lurch and are giving yourself a bit of a break before starting the new job.

Let me know what you decide!

"verbiage"
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

For you Tom, since you asked:
    "verbiage"

ver·bi·age
       [vur-bee-ij]

noun
    overabundance or superfluity of words, as in writing or speech; wordiness; verbosity.

manner or style of expressing something in words; wording: a manual of official verbiage.