Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Default Re: ThatGirl's Job Search-Resume Questions /Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    I think this is how my boss picks candidates. This and their Facebook profile picture. I noticed he only had girls in his pile of resumes, and they were all young based on when they graduated college. Can you tell we have a really informal HR department?
    Well since you are picking the candidates you can make sure you get someone you'd prefer to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Just pick the chic that's less pretty than you.
    Unless you want to please your boss, than the one with big titties.

But honestly, here's my list that I go through when sorting through resumes:

1. Email address (since most resumes I get are via email). This goes along with the Name thing that Cara mentioned. I do not want to hire someone with an address like SexyMama420. Sorry, Cara!
    2. Work history dates. I want to see if the candidate is committed to a position, instead of jumping around all the time.
    3. Breaks in work history. I know it's tough out there, but having a 2+ year break is questionable to me.
    4. Education (if there's a minimum requirement)
    5. Position held.
    6. Job description.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

People are getting laid off at my work today.

Six people already got the can, including the girl I worked closely with.

Awww, Robin wouldn't hire me. I had 10 years at one company but then worked 2 jobs for 6 months each with 3 month breaks between. I hate how my resume looks now. I have now had over a year and a half here but I know people see those 2 jobs and think man, she must suck. Nope, I just worked for 2 companies that went out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Awww, Robin wouldn't hire me. I had 10 years at one company but then worked 2 jobs for 6 months each with 3 month breaks between. I hate how my resume looks now. I have now had over a year and a half here but I know people see those 2 jobs and think man, she must suck. Nope, I just worked for 2 companies that went out of business.
    If I saw that you were at a company for 10 years, then I would still call you for an explanation as to the other positions. I understand being laid off. It's those people who go "I didn't like it there, so I found something else, but I didn't like it there, so I found something else."

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post

1. Email address (since most resumes I get are via email). This goes along with the Name thing that Cara mentioned. I do not want to hire someone with an address like SexyMama420. Sorry, Cara!
    2. Work history dates. I want to see if the candidate is committed to a position, instead of jumping around all the time.
    3. Breaks in work history. I know it's tough out there, but having a 2+ year break is questionable to me.
    5. Position held.
    6. Job description.
    Robin - I have to say that yes, I look for these things in a resume too - breaks in work history especially. But when it comes to the initial sorting of resumes the best thing to do is break down the volume and then scale back from there. If someone has a gap they can't explain, I like to assume they were in jail. It makes the qualification process that much easier. That said, I did end up interviewing and nearly hiring someone that was posing for a guy that was actually in jail - so I do tend to be wary of this type of thing.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

5. Position held.
    6. Job description.
    Wondering what would happen with a person like me. I quit working in 2001 at the age of 23 because I decided to go on permanent disability. Prior to that I worked 6 years at my one and only job. The last 6+ years I have been a stay at home parent, which is honestly about 20 different jobs, haha. Got through 2 years of college before my health made it impossible to keep up, as well. Not sure how I could even go back to school at this point. During high school I was part time home schooled through the district in which I didn't really have to do jack shit and the other half in school where I easily pulled A's and a couple B's even though I was absent most of the semesters.. I have been so far removed from a regular experience like that since the end of junior high that the thought of going back to school at this age is nerve wracking!

If somehow a cure or treatment was developed to where I could maintain my health well enough to work full time would I even be desirable to anyone at this point based on my past?

Guess I am fortunate that I have a lot of connections with people/businesses involved with my disease who would most likely be understanding of what I have been through and what may come in the future.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 06-29-2012 at 10:54 AM.

5. Position held.
    6. Job description.
    I've got a question about this: I've been off a payroll for about three years now but have most definitely been working in my field and have proof of this. Will "Freelance" give you the same feeling as described above?

Also, I don't know if I interview well. What are you looking for when you're interviewing someone? Directed at anyone conducting interviews.
    Last edited by marooko; 06-29-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Wondering what would happen with a person like me. I quit working in 2001 at the age of 23 because I decided to go on permanent disability. Prior to that I worked 6 years at my one and only job. The last 6+ years I have been a stay at home parent, which is honestly about 20 different jobs, haha. Got through 2 years of college before my health made it impossible to keep up, as well. Not sure how I could even go back to school at this point. During high school I was part time home schooled through the district in which I didn't really have to do jack shit and the other half in school where I easily pulled A's and a couple B's even though I was absent most of the semesters.. I have been so far removed from a regular experience like that since the end of junior high that the thought of going back to school at this age is nerve wracking!

If somehow a cure or treatment was developed to where I could maintain my health well enough to work full time would I even be desirable to anyone at this point based on my past?

Guess I am fortunate that I have a lot of connections with people/businesses involved with my disease who would most likely be understanding of what I have been through and what may come in the future.

Your health situation puts you in a compassionate category that most others don't fall into. When the gaps are due to debilitating health issues it's completely different. And a good thing you have people around that would understand if you were able to return to work. Most of the people I see have gaps due to job loss, or sometimes extended travel, or family issues, and it's each individual's personal circumstances that determines the level of how forgivable it is. I have a friend that was wrongly terminated due to her health issues, and she ended up suing her long term employer and winning a settlement - but it permanently impacted her ability to get a reference at the company. She was well within her rights - but it's still doing her a bit of damage.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 06-29-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    I've got a question about this: I've been off a payroll for about three years now but have most definitely been working in my field and have proof of this. Will "Freelance" give you the same feeling as described above?

Also, I don't know if I interview well. What are you looking for when you're interviewing someone? Directed at anyone conducting interviews.
    Freelance work, as long as it comes with your project/employer name, and the dates you were working, qualifies as proper work history every bit as much as having a full time job does. As long as you can name the client and show your work it's not an issue. Most of the people I employ in high tech take contract work long term, and it's thought of as equally legitimate.

As for what I look for in interviews: Confidence ( while not being cocky). enthusiasm, professional attire and communications, allowing the interviewer to control the flow of the interview, ( in other words - don't go off on a tangent - stay on topic and let the interview continue with his/her agenda), answering questions directly and specifically to your own personal experience (don't say "we did, we had, we developed".. Say what you "I" did personally to contribute.) Also I like when a candidate has questions prepared and can tell me a few things about my company. I hate interviewing someone that has no idea who we are and what we do, or any questions to ask me.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 06-29-2012 at 03:09 PM.

My issue is having questions. I'm preparing for a place that has asked to see my resume, so I'm hoping I get called for an interview. I have one or two questions I'd like to ask, should I think of more? How many do I want to have? Considering the other companies they've purchased, I'm curious what plan they have overall, is that my business to be asking?

My issue is having questions. I'm preparing for a place that has asked to see my resume, so I'm hoping I get called for an interview. I have one or two questions I'd like to ask, should I think of more? How many do I want to have? Considering the other companies they've purchased, I'm curious what plan they have overall, is that my business to be asking?
    Sure - you can ask about corporate vision in light of the recent acquisitions .. Or how the culture may have changed with the growth. 2 or 3 is more than enough.

Thank you.

I'm a little nervous. Probably not a good thing, eh? Relaxation techniques?

I'm a little nervous. Probably not a good thing, eh? Relaxation techniques?
    Get a good night's sleep. Dress with confidence, and remember they wouldn't be considering you if you didn't have the right qualifications. All you have to do is be yourself and answer the questions directly, and thoroughly. It isn't a bad thing to let the interviewer know you haven't done a lot of interviews and are a bit nervous - make light of it. In the first few minutes your nerves will calm and you can relax more, but remember to not let it get too comfortable or conversational. Always let the interviewer direct the flow and that way you are always being guided through it, and won't be left out there "hanging" at any point. Deep breaths - remember it's just an interview, not a jury trial. Good Luck!

Thank you.

I'm applying for an inter-district transfer. I figure I should show up with a portfolio as I did years ago for the interview, but I'm not sure how to approach my resume.

I've been in the same district at the same school for 13 years. It seems silly to go too far back under job experience and even sillier to include my education that was almost 20 years ago. It also seems weird to just compile a list of things like workshops and conferences I've gone to when it will quickly grow rather redundant.

So what would you suggest? All the research I've done on-line is geared toward new teachers. What should a veteran teacher do?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I'm applying for an inter-district transfer. I figure I should show up with a portfolio as I did years ago for the interview, but I'm not sure how to approach my resume.

I've been in the same district at the same school for 13 years. It seems silly to go too far back under job experience and even sillier to include my education that was almost 20 years ago. It also seems weird to just compile a list of things like workshops and conferences I've gone to when it will quickly grow rather redundant.

So what would you suggest? All the research I've done on-line is geared toward new teachers. What should a veteran teacher do?
    Firstly I'd ask - what education do you have from 20 years ago, and how relevant is it to your current role? If it's your teaching degree, include it. If it's courses or workshops that are irrelevant, you can probably skip them. As for your work history, I'd include the experience you have in your current district for sure - but what you include from previous depends on how many roles you had back then. You can always just include the dates but not offer up detailed descriptions of the work - just so there isn't a gap between your completed education and your work history. That way it won't seem redundant either. If you are being considered for transfer they have some knowledge of your background but having it presented in a formal manner is a good idea. Experience is a good thing!

I think it went well. It seems the interview process was just a formality, we even discussed my time off for Coachella. I mentioned the tickets would easily sell and was told not to worry..."We'll get the time out of you." and laughter ensued. I'm still not gonna get too excited until I get the call back I was told I would receive. I'll celebrate depending on the outcome.

I would like to thank you for the time you took to look at my resume and the tips you gave via this forum. This, especially, rung out in my head once or twice. Luckily it was before I got too lengthy, I could almost feel it coming on.

but remember to not let it get too comfortable or conversational. Always let the interviewer direct the flow and that way you are always being guided through it,
    Thanks!

I think it went well. It seems the interview process was just a formality, we even discussed my time off for Coachella. I mentioned the tickets would easily sell and was told not to worry..."We'll get the time out of you." and laughter ensued. I'm still not gonna get too excited until I get the call back I was told I would receive. I'll celebrate depending on the outcome.

I would like to thank you for the time you took to look at my resume and the tips you gave via this forum. This, especially, rung out in my head once or twice. Luckily it was before I got too lengthy, I could almost feel it coming on.

Thanks!
    YAY!
    It sounds very positive. My fingers are crossed for you and I'm happy the information was helpful.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I also had an interview today, weirdly enough. Apparently they do phone interview (accomplished) to real interview (accomplished) to three hour + math test interview (yikes, but want). The CSO was into it so hopefully I get called back for round three.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I also had an interview today, weirdly enough. Apparently they do phone interview (accomplished) to real interview (accomplished) to three hour + math test interview (yikes, but want). The CSO was into it so hopefully I get called back for round three.
    That sounds very intense! What sort of work do you do that a math test is required? I'd fail miserably if it were me.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Research. I'm trying to move out of academics and into industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Well I hope you move to the final phase! Remember when it comes to salary negotiations - always make them give you a number. Never toss out what your salary expecations are first. If you want any pointers on interview/final negotiation prep please let me know!

final phase? i've done the phone, in person interview, talked salary, and sent a thank you email. now i'm just waiting, since it happen last week.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    final phase? i've done the phone, in person interview, talked salary, and sent a thank you email. now i'm just waiting, since it happen last week.
    When are you expecting to hear back? Try, whenever possible, to have them give you a time frame as to when you can expect a final decision. That way you aren't sitting on pins and needles, and you can also determine how serious they are about making a hire.

i assume within the week, or early next. i got a reply from the email saying, "we'll touch base soon," and i believe they were somewhat serious since they paid for me to fly across the country, but i believe they may be interviewing others this week. if it doesn't work out i'm not too concerned, but it would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    i assume within the week, or early next. i got a reply from the email saying, "we'll touch base soon," and i believe they were somewhat serious since they paid for me to fly across the country, but i believe they may be interviewing others this week. if it doesn't work out i'm not too concerned, but it would be nice.
    Sounds like you are a front runner. Next time, at the close of the interview, ask them "What should I expect by way of the next steps in the process?" Nice, well rounded open ended question that should get you the info you need. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Well I hope you move to the final phase! Remember when it comes to salary negotiations - always make them give you a number. Never toss out what your salary expecations are first. If you want any pointers on interview/final negotiation prep please let me know!
    Oops. HAHA! Though if offered, I'm sure it will be just.