Thread: Headliners start after other stages close?

Hybrid View

Default Headliners start after other stages close?

I'm just curious - do the main headliners usually start after the other stages close each night or do they compete with the other stages? I've been to festivals where they do it both ways.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm dying to see both Bjork and Jarvis Cocker and I hope they don't play at the same time.

I wish they didn't have to wait so long to put up the grids, but I understand it takes time...

Default Re: Headliners start after other stages close?

In the past they have competed with other stages. Anything can happen this year, though. Apparently there will be less overlap in general this year.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Thanks for the response. Both of those acts hardly ever tour the US and when they do they only play a limited number of cities.

when i went last year Depeche Mode(main stage) was the main headliner for Saturday they went on bout 10pm the same time Atmosphere(2nd stage) was on. There set ended around 11pm and DaftPunk(sahara tent) and She Wants Revenge(2nd stage) ended the night.

I really hope there are conflicts during the headliners. Hopefully not conflicts that will upset me, but conflicts nonetheless. Without conflicts, stages just get too crowded. You have to go hours in advance to get a good spot, and wind up missing other acts you want to see. I like being able to go one act before, tops, and still being near the front of the stage.

You can count on there being overlaps with the headliners. Its great for people who don't want to see the headliner and want a smaller, more intimate crowd for another band that they prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I really hope there are conflicts during the headliners. Hopefully not conflicts that will upset me, but conflicts nonetheless. Without conflicts, stages just get too crowded. You have to go hours in advance to get a good spot, and wind up missing other acts you want to see. I like being able to go one act before, tops, and still being near the front of the stage.
    Me too. I love knowing that there's someone with a lot of fans that I have no interest in seeing on the main stage, so I can get good placement elsewhere. In '04, I was able to get a great spot for Kraftwerk after the Pixies because I didn't give a toss about Radiohead, plus I got to see Eyedea & Abilities with like ten other people. I think Stereolab was between Pixies and Kraftwerk, too, in the Gobi or something.

I don't mind conflicts either but like everybody else I don't want it to happen with two bands I like, lol. I do realize I just have to wait but I was just curious how they handled the headliners. Now I know.

I really couldn't care less about RHCP or Rage to be honest with you. The only headliner I care about is Bjork. I doubt Jarvis will go on at the same time - he definitely won't be headlining one of the other stages. Hopefully over-hyped bands like Interpol or Arctic Monkeys will be playing the same time as Bjork to make more room.

Conflicts happen no matter what, sometimes it all works out but not always. We have to wait til the week of the fest to find out.