Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2012

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: Burning Man 2012

yeah, I'm starting to be convinced by that. did they not require a unique delivery address for each order?

I wanna get sucked off in the dust

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbk View Post
    okay well how about this after march, we can see who ends up getting tickets. All im saying is we still have a chance at getting a ticket. No need for everyone to get there fucking panties in a bunch.
    agreed that nothing really happens until March, but complaining about venting is annoying.

Yours was relatively minor, but the wave of hipster "what makes you think you deserve a ticket" bullshit is pathetic and transparent.
    For many people this is their one big vacation. It's something they look forward to all year.

What if you had your heart set on trip to Thailand? or maybe you've got a favorite spot there and go every year?
    Then it got very popular but you STILL wanted to go (yes the place is that much fun for you).
    You go every year with your 12 best friends. For years you've spent lots more than a few weekends preparing for your Thailand vacation.
    You've put thousands of dollars into equipment designed for this annual trip.

Now suddenly you're told there's a lottery for your trip. You don't sweat it because you've been assured that this lottery was only designed to stop people from selling overpriced tickets.

But when the lottery comes you find out that you, and 7 others in your group of 12 didn't get tickets.
    Of the other major groups of people you traditionally hang out with in Thailand, only roughly half of those groups managed to get a ticket to Thailand.

You are facing a lot of work to prepare paperwork for applications to prepare your own custom accomodations to be shared by your friends in Thailand.
    But those applications are due in a couple months, and you may not even have a ticket to Thailand by then.

And if you wait until that open sale of tickets to Thailand, a month before your applicaitons are due and at least a month after you would have started working to prepare, you're faced with the HALF of the festival that still wants tickets, plus each of them probably enlisting help to try and win tickets for them.

Then would you be at least pissed enough to, say perhaps, gripe on the internet?

It's not like we're all suspending our lives or rioting in the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    People are sitting here talking about people freaking out and registering for multiple lotteries and this and that, when in reality I think the main problem is still scalpers. With the previous ticketing system it took hours of waiting in line for tickets, I've heard stories of 8-9 hour waits, which is something I don't think scalpers were willing to do. You implement the lottery system and now all they have to do is register as many cards as they can and hope for the best and let BM do all the work, where's the downside for them? The lottery system is all to blame.
    The problem is BOTH scalpers and too many multiple entries.

You're absolutely right that most casual scalpers wouldn't have been bombing the online queue and sweating it out for hours. It's generally only people who really fucking want tickets who do that.

And again, BM knew that the whole time. The reason they did this lottery bullshit is because they didn't want to get crucified for once again fucking up the online sales. WHICH they most certainly will for the open sale in March.

So in the end their strategy not only backfired, but they'll have the same server capacity issues they would have had in the first place.

Idiots.

Wouldn’t a logical solution for popular annual events like Burning Man or even Coachella be to adopt a model similar to season tickets for sporting events where long-term loyalty is rewarded?

• The majority of passes would be allocated to ‘owners’
    • There would be a list of owners and each would have a specific account number
    • Those owners would be guaranteed 2 tickets every year so long they purchased the prior year
    • If an owner declines to purchase one year, they are off the list and their account is closed
    • Aspiring owners would first go on a waiting list until spots on the owners list open up
    • 10-20% of passes would be reserved for a public on-sale for non-owners

Since the ‘owners’ list doesn’t exist yet, the trick would be establishing the initial list. There’d be some tough decisions and inequities at first, but with the right amount of planning and validation of prior attendance, it can be done fairly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

aaronbk

well put jackstraw. Dont get me wrong I am frustrated, just was tired of reading all the negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Wouldn’t a logical solution for popular annual events like Burning Man or even Coachella be to adopt a model similar to season tickets for sporting events where long-term loyalty is rewarded?

• The majority of passes would be allocated to ‘owners’
    • There would be a list of owners and each would have a specific account number
    • Those owners would be guaranteed 2 tickets every year so long they purchased the prior year
    • If an owner declines to purchase one year, they are off the list and their account is closed
    • Aspiring owners would first go on a waiting list until spots on the owners list open up
    • 10-20% of passes would be reserved for a public on-sale for non-owners

Since the ‘owners’ list doesn’t exist yet, the trick would be establishing the initial list. There’d be some tough decisions and inequities at first, but with the right amount of planning and validation of prior attendance, it can be done fairly.
    While I might support this, it does sort of run counter to the spirit of the festival.
    Still, when you get out there you realize that there are shitloads of people who were only able to do what they did because they had invested years into it, and they got a sense of what's out there and built on it or used it as inspiration to do something bigger. As shitty as this sounds, I don't think I'd want to go if I knew that roughly half the people there were brand new. It wouldn't be the same place. That sounds shitty, and I don't mean that the new folks are a drag or that they couldn't contribute eventually, but everyone always has the same experience. They go in not fully knowing what they're going to see, then they commit to raising their game in subsequent years.

And I couldn't give a fuck what anybody thinks of that.

besides with all this lack of rain it's shaping up to be one of those horrible playa years.

aaronbk

I'm a virgin but I'm planning on comming proper with gifts and attractions and ingenuity.
    I been dreaming and researching for years. I agree with what your saying tho. The wizards gotta be there.

Just reading that article....we should bE able to just show up and hand over 500$ and get loose
    Last edited by Goatchella; 02-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.

aaronbk

goat you going to *********?

I'm not sure if I came off as an ass or jerk, but my intention was not to impede on 100% non retarded ideas with my really retarded one. I was simply suggesting thoughts to get perspective from those who seem at odds over the best solution to dole out product where there is more demand than supply when a great number of people seem to be interested year after year. I didn't realize that suggestions had to be 100% solid or they were retarded and in no way could be inspiration for a discussion of a more ideal solution. I've heard a lot about 'regulars' not being able to score tickets, so I thought there may be some merit to something that would provide a level of certainty to those who spend years investing it. I'm sorry I was unaware that ideas weren't welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

You're right. My apologies for not engaging in an actual discussion instead of just mindless argumentativeness.

I find fault with your proposition because I do not believe your idea solves the issue of scarcity. Demand still exceeds supply. Only, now, the excess demand is on a waiting list. And your idea is to basically cut supply by 80%? Wouldn't that exasperate the problem? I feel that Burning Man has a more inelastic demand than your typical music festival. Don't you think cutting supply would not only increase the demand, but, increase the black market price exponentially for those few remaining open tickets?

And, I don't think it's fair or justified to exclude others at the expense of a few. Shouldn't everyone get a fair chance to go?

What about this:
    Have a 2 ticket limit per person.
    Half lottery, half first-come-fist-served sale.
    Tickets are non-transferable except through the bmorg.
    Tickets can only be transferred once.
    Last edited by theresalwaysone; 02-02-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Pretty good read on the eplaya:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtop...?f=290&t=53722

I liked this response, but all in all it sounds pretty depressing.

So, maybe this coming year will be a year of small surprises. Maybe there won't be a lot of big bars, but there might be all sorts of little bars wandering the playa, ala "A Shot in the Dark". The event existed before theme camps. In fact, the advent of theme camps was so unnoticed at the time that htere is disagreement about what the first theme camp was. Maybe you and your neighbors will improvise a theme camp on playa. Maybe you'll connect with different people and do a different theme camp.
    One of the things I love about the burn is that it brings us face to face with the fact that nothing is certain. "No expectations".

And.....

Marian Goodell, (aka "Jack Rabbit") and Director of Business & Communications, Black Rock City LLC, Burning Man, speaks about the 2012 lottery ticketing system and the issues with managing event growth.
    Event LIVE Expo Feb. 1, 2012
    Video by Pauline Grace

Not quite sure about that girl at the end of the video though....
    Last edited by theresalwaysone; 02-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.

aaronbk

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/n...ket-situation/
    just an opinion that isnt related to this articl, but i really feel like with the lotto system not working to well and so many people on social networking sites complaining is making this event even more hyped up and the ticket demand will only get higher and higher.

Burning man is now the new Coachella. There will be two burning man gatherings next year. You may only attend one, it will be based on the honor system.

Seems like the lottery really screwed a bunch of people over. IMO I feel like those who have $1000+ liquid to sit around in their checking accounts are not burners, but ticketing groups. Real bummed, was really looking forward to having my BM hymen opened up this year. If things are going EXTREMELY well at the end of March I may attempt a ticket, but having this much of a headache for something like BM is kind of absurd.

I'm pretty sure if it hadn't listed itself as "SOLD OUT" last year, the hype wouldn't be as big for it.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbk View Post
    goat you going to *********?
    Nah. I work full time and have this other thing I do. Can't be getting too wooked out.
    Chella, LIb, Joshua Tree, get lost, burn, maybe OSl again.
    I dunno. Can't think right with all this scalped out drama man.

Ima do my best to enter the step program, try to get them in the 10k sale....

But in all honesty, I'll spend two grand to get me and my girl tickets. I'll trade my fucking jeep.
    I'll trade a pack. I'll give someone something they need more than that ticket.

If they have a demand for cash or drugs or whatever...it's gonna go down. Call me the rich newb that has nothing to offer or whatever. I'll be in black rocks handing out rum drinks in carved out pineapples. If I gotta spend a grip of money, it's gonna be cheaper rum and less pineapples.

The solar shit is going down, the shade design is going down. We got the welders and torches working. We're laying down paint and creating art.

I been invited to join camps and work on their dream for free tickets.
    I'm doing my own thing, with my own tribe and we will make it out there.

Mad love and respect to everyone! Keep moving!

aaronbk

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Nah. I work full time and have this other thing I do. Can't be getting too wooked out.
    Chella, LIb, Joshua Tree, get lost, burn, maybe OSl again.
    I dunno. Can't think right with all this scalped out drama man.
    which weekend of coach? It would be a pleasure meeting you at a festie.

Congratulations to the 100% of us who strongly disapproved of this dubious ticketing plan. Hooray for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Burning man is now the new Coachella. There will be two burning man gatherings next year. You may only attend one, it will be based on the honor system.

Seems like the lottery really screwed a bunch of people over. IMO I feel like those who have $1000+ liquid to sit around in their checking accounts are not burners, but ticketing groups. Real bummed, was really looking forward to having my BM hymen opened up this year. If things are going EXTREMELY well at the end of March I may attempt a ticket, but having this much of a headache for something like BM is kind of absurd.

I'm pretty sure if it hadn't listed itself as "SOLD OUT" last year, the hype wouldn't be as big for it.
    As we say in my camp: Second week! It's time.

Ima do my best to enter the step program, try to get them in the 10k sale....

But in all honesty, I'll spend two grand to get me and my girl tickets. I'll trade my fucking jeep.
    I'll trade a pack. I'll give someone something they need more than that ticket.

If they have a demand for cash or drugs or whatever...it's gonna go down. Call me the rich newb that has nothing to offer or whatever. I'll be in black rocks handing out rum drinks in carved out pineapples. If I gotta spend a grip of money, it's gonna be cheaper rum and less pineapples.

The solar shit is going down, the shade design is going down. We got the welders and torches working. We're laying down paint and creating art.

I been invited to join camps and work on their dream for free tickets.
    I'm doing my own thing, with my own tribe and we will make it out there.

Mad love and respect to everyone! Keep moving!
    Cool brah! Me and my friends are bringing a whole bunch of PBR and we're going to set up a Beer Pong Tournament and give people chest bumps in the street. Can't wait!
    Last edited by theresalwaysone; 02-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Can't tell if cock sucker or bad joking

Can't tell if cock sucker or bad joking
    goat, your posts always make me smile..

Good. The world needs more smiles. I mean it is possible to be an asshole and be funny. You can diss and make people smile at the same time.

Some guys like this barn yard up here like to be angry all the time and judge people by bringing up dumb, non related shit they had seen other people post.

Offering pineapple drinks to burners in the desert is far from beer pong and pbr or anything bro/hipster related.
    I never thought of burning man having assholes like this there though so I'm not too worried or offended.
    Internet thugs are abundant.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Mal*Mart is coming back this year, that crazy 6-story tall multi-purpose thing that might have skipped 2011. Playa Surfers are definitely going to be there with the motorized surfboards.

wow........

Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
    Volume 16, Issue #12
    February 9, 2012

{================================================= ===========}
    ====================TABLE OF CONTENTS=======================

INTRODUCTION

LATEST NEWS:
    + TICKET UPDATE: RADICAL INCLUSION, MEET THE OTHER NINE

CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN:
    + Burning Man on your favorite social networks

ADMINISTERRATA:
    + Want to unsubscribe from the JRS? Really? OK, here's how: http://bit.ly/nxU8Gz

====================INTRODUCTION================== ======

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

Hello, everybody. This special edition of the Jackrabbit Speaks again brings you information on the Burning Man 2012 ticket situation.

We all know this is no matter of simple PR ... we're not interested in spinning reality into convenient fantasy here. We're interested in keeping Burning Man and its community intact, plain and simple, and doing so in a transparent and honest way. What Andie Grace conveys below is a reflection of the difficult collaborative work that all of us -- the board, staff, volunteers, and members of our community -- are doing to meet this pivotal moment in Burning Man's history. And it's the next step in a series.

We would love to be able to turn on a dime on this stuff, and get 100% solid answers out to you as quickly as the reactions have been pouring in (oh yes, we're listening), but the reality is that there are a LOT of moving parts, domino-ing process logistics, and data that we need to collect, understand and consider. We do not want to make decisions that just make matters worse -- either in the short term or the long term -- and each decision has enormous implications at this juncture. We've been working practically non-stop on all this, but it's far from simple, and it takes time. So we appreciate your patience while we work through this process and move towards workable solutions.

This community just got hit by a massive dust storm, and it knocked a lot of things down ... now it's time to gather up, assess the damage, and start rebuilding together, just like we would in Black Rock City.

The Man burns in 205 days.

====================LATEST NEWS========================

TICKET UPDATE: RADICAL INCLUSION, MEET THE OTHER NINE

This post by Andie Grace, Burning Man's Communications Manager, is also available on the Burning Blog, here: http://bit.ly/wuXalo. We encourage you to share it with your friends, family and campmates, and we welcome your feedback in the blog's comments section. She writes:

First things first:

For all the frustration, anxiety, stress, and heartache this year’s ticket lottery has caused, please accept another humble apology.

This is no time for issuing statements or putting a spin on anything. The system may have worked, but the cultural outcome sure didn’t, and even though some of you saw that coming and said so, we didn’t, and for that we are sorry.

The current trajectory is not acceptable. Even people who did get tickets aren’t cheering right now, since so many of their camps and friends are standing out in the cold. Entire groups are worried they’ll have to scrap all their plans. Burning Man is a participatory and collaborative event, and many collaborations are perilously close to falling apart.

Clearly we must reevaluate, but first we want to say more about what we’ve heard, how we got here, and what our next steps will be.

What we’re hearing:

Our office in San Francisco is awash in feedback. We have been meeting every day about tickets, and have burned the midnight oil poring over every available list and forum, logging and absorbing every email, complaint, and plea for information. We’re absolutely listening very carefully, and we are 100% clear that there’s a very big problem playing out.

What’s happening isn’t fun for anyone, and there’s no sugar coating to be put on it. Clearly, despite projections, the majority of the people who have previously built, created, contributed and participated - not just those who’ve been before, but who have created the foundations of Burning Man -- don’t have a ticket to the event this year. And whether it was our naivetÚ or just underestimation, we didn’t see that coming at this scale, and we know it’s hurting us all now.

We understand and recognize the impact this is having - on individuals, on projects and collaborations, on your ability to plan vacation time, book plane tickets, submit applications for your camps, your art projects—everything about participating in Burning Man. We see the emotional response it’s causing - only too well, as we’re Burners at HQ too, and so are our friends, our campmates, our teammates, and our families. Watching this unfold has been painful. Each of us is responding differently - worrying, losing sleep, meeting through the evenings and weekends, throwing things, searching for answers...this is one of the most painful moments in our history.

What happens next will be pivotal - whatever is to blame, now that we’ve reached this point, we absolutely know we have to get this next moment right. We are all about to write the future of Burning Man.

Through our process of discovery and data analysis, we’ve heard from our whole community -- including some experts we’ve never talked to before. In a lot of cases, we have asked for their consult; some of those helpful blogs and comments you’ve been forwarding to us have turned into meetings and phone calls, and we’re figuring out how else we can engage with a wider range of Burner minds to help guide our community through this.

How Did This Happen?

The moment in 2011 that we saw tickets were going to sell out, we knew it would have a major impact on 2012 ticket sales, and we started planning. As we analyzed how to build this year’s process, we projected possible scenarios. Some of us thought we would see a sell out on the very first day of ticket sales. Most thought it would take longer (after all, last year’s tickets sold out in July). Few could predict exactly how many new prospective attendees would register, though we had plenty of indication that public interest was greater than ever - especially since we sold out last year, but also in the rise of social media and visibility for Burning Man. In any case we knew we were in for a different kind of ride in 2012.

A first-come first-served system would not meet the demand either. Every ticket vendor informed us we’d have to use the same type of “queuing system” that meant hours waiting in line at your computer screen - a luxury perhaps not available to many perfectly deserving Burners. And since we did estimate that demand would exceed supply somewhat, we knew that when people rushed in to grab the tickets available, there would be someone left out in the cold - not everyone was going to get tickets who wanted them.

By spreading the registration process over a period of time, and making random selection a stated goal of the design, we aimed for a more sane way to access what would be basically the same “odds” at tickets. We’d diffuse a few hours of frustration (middle of the night for some Burners, middle of the workday for plenty of others) into a more moderate, less angst-ridden experience, but get the same kind of results.

We felt it was culturally important to retain the different price points in that scenario, to make a wider range of ticket prices available for people of different means. Our desire was to distribute that access in a manner that gave people some control over how much they were willing to spend.

While the system was not primarily designed to prevent scalping, there were certain deterrents to it in place. No event organizer or ticket seller has solved scalping completely. Some of the measures they’ve implemented to ameliorate it, unfortunately also prohibit certain things we still value about our culture, especially the practice of gifting tickets. Many a great Burner had their first experience after getting talked into it at the last minute by a friend, and plenty of us have given, swapped, or received a ticket late in the season when plans began to change. A two-week registration window to request tickets would still let us do more crosschecks to weed out the speculators and scalpers.

And in those regards, the ticket selection system worked as planned -- but it created other unforeseen problems, and most of them boil down to an unpredicted, overwhelming level of demand. The impact of that demand is beyond what we projected when designing the system; even if we knew there were destined to be some people missing out, we didn’t expect nearly so many.

The Numbers:

Let’s break it down and just talk numbers: we had nearly three times the number of tickets requested than we had available tickets. We did conduct a survey before purchase, and while surveys are not perfect, they do give some interesting data. In that survey, about 40% of ticket buyers said they had never been to the event before, which is a higher number than we’ve seen in previous years. It does appear -- and I’d caution we don’t know everything yet -- that there was a fair amount of over-registration - those who said “I need one but I’ll order two...” or “I’m not sure I’m going but I’ll get one just in case.”

We can now see that some of that happened simply because the perception of scarcity drove fear and action for all of us. It could be said we were quite na´ve to think we had much control over a basic emotional response to scarcity. Game theory won out over good wishes.

But that’s not all that happened. In fact, there were plenty of ‘perfect storm’ influences afoot: 2011 had perfect weather, awesome art, and record attendance and visibility in the press. The ticket sell-out made headlines around the world. Social media use is higher than ever, so participants who had such a great time were more active than ever telling everyone all about it. One such participant shared a magical YouTube video he created in 2011 (“Oh The Places You’ll Go!”) - the link hit the Huffington Post in January and went viral, eventually hitting 1.3 million views from all around the world; its visibility peaked right around the day that ticket registration opened. And, thinking we wanted to ensure a fair shake at the new system for Burners, we decided to leave registration open for two full weeks, just to be sure that any of you who were out on vacation or away from your computers for the announcement had plenty of time to get a fair shot.

A perfect storm.

The Big Picture:

The overarching fact we must face now: awareness of Burning Man has reached the world at large. It has tipped into the mass consciousness and drawn exponential levels of new interest. Thanks in part to thousands of enthusiastic storytellers from throughout Burning Man’s history, the number of people who want to burn now exceeds the current capacity of the city in the desert.

This was a possibility at every point in our history, of course, but the speed and scale were surprising. We were not blind to this possible outcome, but we did not anticipate an increase in demand that would so dramatically exceed all precedent.

Our friends in the days when Burning Man was much smaller worried what it would be like when ten thousand people showed up on the playa. In 2012, we’re faced with figuring out how we can address the Principle of Radical Inclusion now that the unthinkable has come true: millions of people have heard of Burning Man, and a whole bunch of them want to come. Although Radical Inclusion states “We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community,” that doesn’t mean that every one of us fits in the same place at once.

While we’d all like to blame some mysterious “Other” at this point - while we’re all offended by the concept of scalpers profiting off tickets our friends should have gotten - there is no clear evidence that scalpers are holding all of these tickets. Sure, they’re out there. And there are returning Burners who are right now sitting on an extra ticket, afraid to speak up and start a stampede among campmates, or quietly redistributing those tickets among friends or other strong ties.

But what’s appearing more and more likely is this: we’re about to meet a lot of newly-minted, first-time Burners. (And hi, new friends. Kindly step up to the mic and say hello in the comments section of the blog - we’re thrilled to welcome you, really, and would love to hear from you. You’ve arrived at a very interesting time, can you tell?)

And that’s fantastic. New energy and enthusiasm is the lifeblood of Burning Man, and we were all new here once (well, except for Larry Harvey). We love newcomers.

However, if new Burners are the lifeblood, the existing community of collaborators, projects, and creativity is the corpus of Burning Man. And now we’ve learned after a few days of polling and information gathering that many of the largest groups and projects (mutant vehicles, theme camps, volunteer groups, and other collaborations) planning to attend this year have secured only 25%-30%, on average, of the tickets they needed to commit to their projects. Even calculating that many tickets would eventually become available via the secondary market, the timing of that possible influx comes too late. These groups are telling us “This might be the year we skip Burning Man.” Plenty of significant groups have already moved forward with making alternate plans.

At an individual, person-by-person scale, such a turnover might be acceptable -- if this was a concert or a sports event. But you’re not just fans in a seat, all more or less the same. In a collaborative culture, in a community based on a web of social relationships, these numbers are perilous. And while it remains true that no prerequisites exist to be a part of our community, we cannot and will not let overwhelming interest tear apart the social fabric that is critical to our culture.

What We Can’t Change:

Two things are immutable:

1. It is not possible to simply grow the event to welcome more people in 2012. Between traffic concerns and the limitations placed on attendance by the Bureau of Land Management, that’s off the table.

2. Without our core collaborative community, the fabric of Burning Man could fray and tear apart. Regardless of all good original intentions, that ripping sound has to stop.

We very, very much want and need to welcome new people to Burning Man. New creative energy and enthusiasm also help make it what it is, and newcomer experiences can be some of the most transformative. We continue to welcome the stranger. But we can’t work so hard to welcome new Burners to BRC that it comes at the expense of those who have and will make the event what it has been. Radical Inclusion is the first principle, but faced with a Burning Man event that is limited in population, Civic Responsibility and Communal Effort dictate that we endeavor to radically include those who create Burning Man in the first place. There are, after all, Ten Principles, not just the one.

What We Can Do:

So, what now? Let’s start with what we know for sure:

* We can’t and won’t reverse the Main Sale drawing results. That part is done, and there is nothing fair about taking awarded tickets away from anyone...it solves nothing at this point, and changes the terms after the sale has already happened, and probably isn’t even legal. Besides, that only makes a bad situation worse.
    * We must now attend to preserving the fabric of our culture.
    * There are listings on ticket scalping sites, but right now, they don’t all equal tickets that will be sold above face value. None of those sellers are actually holding tickets yet, and won’t be for several months, and we will collaborate to do what we can to starve them out. There are right now only about a hundred such tickets on those sites, although that doesn’t mean there are not more tickets that were awarded to people who plan to scalp them eventually.
    * The STEP program will launch this month and we believe it will help. Those who were not selected to purchase tickets in the Main Sale round will be notified privately of how to register, and given the first option to sign up for the “Want Tickets” waiting list in advance of any other users.
    * Right now we are contacting representation from all the types of affected groups analyze the overall shortfall and figure out the scope of the problem and what options exist for us. We’re also consulting with Burners of every possible stripe and trying to increase our brain trust to help make sure we don’t miss any signs as we find our way out of this storm.
    * Our Regional Network and other teams including many community advisers are engaging around what to do about the issue of acculturating new visitors to Black Rock City this year.
    * We’re clear that next year, big changes are necessary to address scarcity, capacity and community.
    * We have agreed to be as transparent and honest as we can, describing next steps and decisions as quickly as we are able to make them. We are really considering a vast array of options as we continue to absorb information and analyze data.

We’re working non-stop to understand what happened. We’re checking in with theme camps and art groups. We’re talking to volunteer teams and regional coordinators, performers, mutant vehicle crews ... all the smaller sub-communities that make up Burning Man. We’re gathering information on who placed orders for tickets, who received them, and, if they have a surplus, how they intend to resell them.

We are meeting constantly with Burners right now. We’re reading what people are writing and inviting many of those voices to come meet us, call us, and help us sort this out. You are going to be a big part of that solution. Please continue to email, write, call, tweet, and post your ideas and suggestions. Please check in with your own community to see what tickets might be available.

Meanwhile, please know that everything we’re working on here in San Francisco is guided by the desire to find the best possible way for our community to come together again on the playa. We’ll continue to communicate as we have information available. We expect to present a detailed plan on February 15th.

Looks like they're banking on the STEP program to fix this situation and have those tickets trade hands fast. They're right on the fact that Burning Man takes a lot of planning for people and if there isn't enough time for people to get their shit together they simply won't go. And people won't start getting their shit together until they know for sure they have a ticket. Hopefully this STEP program exchanges tickets between people quickly, but it seems kinda sketchy. Putting my faith in the bmorg in that they don't want their event to fall apart and they actually get something right.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I'm a little concerned that the fact that tickets aren't mailed out until june will eliminate the effectiveness of the step program.