Thread: Burning Man 2012

Default Re: Burning Man 2012

"It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Bang Bang:

Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

PsyRevolution !!!!

Glad I know for sure were being charged 30-1 and not 23-early February. I dropped another grand in for the tickets . I'm anxious to spend on batteries, inverters, panels, materials ect.

Gonna be training in the desert for this motherfucker!
    Worship the sun and dance in the moonlight. I'm excited.
    You wanna fook on me?!

aaronbk

BEEEES

Nerves calmed

Per the JRS the theme is confirmed fertility 2.0

Also looks like they had more registrations than actual tickets but they are expecting a big secondary market. Hopefully burning man can be that one event where the community stands together and doesn't fall prey to some kind of lord of the flies ticket scalping mentality.

God they really fucked up this year.

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/01/n...the-main-sale/
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

I just read that. Bummer. Greedy people ruin everything.
    You wanna fook on me?!

they didn't fuck up..they know what they're doing here.

did it ever cross anyone's mind that the reason we all had to input a mini bm-related bio for the lottery was because they want to profile ticket buyers? not really do a lottery but pick who sounds conscious and has contributed to burning man in the past? I mean, I wouldn't blame them for wanting to get the "true burners" back out to the playa, since they do, in fact, contribute to burning man more than most. but honestly, i just never understood the reason to turn regular ticket purchasing into a lottery for something that didn't sell out until 5 months after it went on sale.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Everyone fucking knew the first couple tiers would be flooded with scalpers.
    Now assholes will be profiting off BM, and that profit is probably money that's coming out of folks' personal art or camp budgets.

well done, BM.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post

did it ever cross anyone's mind that the reason we all had to input a mini bm-related bio for the lottery was because they want to profile ticket buyers?
    do you honestly believe people were answering those questions honestly? I'll bet anything if you add up the people who have said they've been going for at least 5 years that number will be very close to if not more than the actual attendance 5 years ago.

And I'll bet almost every single lottery entry is running a theme camp and art car. DMV watch out!

well, i'm sure there were plenty of liars (me included) but at the same time, you really think everyone was lying??? naive first timers? What percentage of those people that said 5+ years will get tickets compared to the percentage of people that have never gone? i doubt they'll be the same.

what was the purpose of them then?

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    God they really fucked up this year.

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/01/n...the-main-sale/
    I wouldn't say they fucked up. They're doing the best they can in an impossible situation. If anything, the bmorgs attentiveness to the community and proactive approach to solving the issues that affect us has been stellar. Certainly better than any other event out there. They put out an idea to solve the issue of scarcity. It wasn't a great plan but it was lesser of the evils. And when the community gave their input, the bmorg responded by adjusting their plan accordingly. Primarily, a lot of people were concerned about it being a pure lottery and not being very fair. So the bmorg set aside a portion of tickets for a first come first served on sale. I thought that was great.

did it ever cross anyone's mind that the reason we all had to input a mini bm-related bio for the lottery was because they want to profile ticket buyers? not really do a lottery but pick who sounds conscious and has contributed to burning man in the past? I mean, I wouldn't blame them for wanting to get the "true burners" back out to the playa, since they do, in fact, contribute to burning man more than most. but honestly, i just never understood the reason to turn regular ticket purchasing into a lottery for something that didn't sell out until 5 months after it went on sale.
    If I put my tin foil hat on, yeah I'd say that it was all a ploy to pick and choose who they wanted to be out there. But, how can you trust what anyone says anyways (like you for example) so the whole idea that they were screening ticket applicants becomes absurd. I figure they have people's e-mail addresses from past ticket purchases so it should be relatively easy enough for them to gauge if you've been going in the past or not.

Regardless, one of the reasons I think they are doing a good job is because of things like this:

And while it may seem at first blush that there's a shortage of tickets available, the reality is that there are now a lot of tickets held by our community that will now simply be redistributed to those who need them. Based on analysis we hold a strong belief that things will settle out over the course of time, once that redistribution takes place, such that most everybody who wants a ticket will find their way to one.

In order to facilitate the redistribution of those extra tickets now in circulation, we have set up the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP). The STEP is a web-based system that will allow Burners to sell their unneeded tickets, and Burners wanting tickets to access them. This will allow for safe and secure transactions in a central place for community-monitored, face-value resales.

We would like to reinforce that we all share responsibility for preventing the scalping of Burning Man tickets. Burners can commit to only selling their tickets at face value, and to never buying tickets above face value. Friends don't let friends buy from scalpers! We can work together by using STEP, keeping a vigilant eye out for scams and inflated-price vending, and reporting known scammers on our ePlaya ticketing thread, here:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewforum.php?f=290
    Nobody else does this. And nobody else is as informative and communicates regularly with their community like this. And that, for me, will always put them above all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    do you honestly believe people were answering those questions honestly? I'll bet anything if you add up the people who have said they've been going for at least 5 years that number will be very close to if not more than the actual attendance 5 years ago.

And I'll bet almost every single lottery entry is running a theme camp and art car. DMV watch out!
    I told the truth. Heh.

So the unfortunate net result is that there will be a lot of people who aren’t awarded tickets from the Main Sale … BUT DO NOT FEAR!! Because this means that there will be a large number of tickets in circulation within the existing community, tickets that simply need to be redistributed to those who need them. Based on our analysis, we hold a strong belief that things will settle out over the course of time, once that redistribution takes place, such that most everybody who wants a ticket will find their way to one.
    This part is really what made me want to make my first post today to begin with...
    to me this says, "were you one of the 'true burners' that we didn't pick for a ticket??? aw shit, our bad. but it's ok, because if you're really in with the burners, then you'll have plenty of friends who got tickets and one of them will be able to save your ass from our oversight"... how do they know a large portion of tickets are going to be in the EXISTING community??? I thought this was a lottery...

Gogogo *********

This part is really what made me want to make my first post today to begin with...
    to me this says, "were you one of the 'true burners' that we didn't pick for a ticket??? aw shit, our bad. but it's ok, because if you're really in with the burners, then you'll have plenty of friends who got tickets and one of them will be able to save your ass from our oversight"... how do they know a large portion of tickets are going to be in the EXISTING community??? I thought this was a lottery...
    The other thing, too, is how they plan on getting this whole STEP thing to work. Especially when physical tickets won't be in hand for months. If I want to buy a ticket through their STEP website am I obligated to pay up front? And if so, how do they compel the seller to actually get me the ticket in a timely manner? Hopefully they are planning something along the lines of:

Person A has 2 tickets and needs to sell 1. Person A puts 1 ticket up for sale on STEP before physical tickets are shipping.
    Person B selects to buy Person As ticket.
    The bmorg deducts 1 ticket from person A and adds a ticket to person B.
    When tickets ship, Person A receives 1 ticket and Person B receives 1 ticket.

Instead of Person A getting 2 tickets then having to mail the extra to Person B.

^that seems to be the most seamless way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    If I put my tin foil hat on, yeah I'd say that it was all a ploy to pick and choose who they wanted to be out there. But, how can you trust what anyone says anyways (like you for example) so the whole idea that they were screening ticket applicants becomes absurd. I figure they have people's e-mail addresses from past ticket purchases so it should be relatively easy enough for them to gauge if you've been going in the past or not.
    But...they are screening ticket applicants... For scaplers yes, but they're going through them all and analyzing them... I'm not suggesting that they're keeping out people they don't want necessarily, but I can see them making sure they find applicants who actually play pivotal roles at burning man and giving them a ticket.
    Last edited by zimmy1222; 01-27-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Gogogo *********
    You have fun with that.

But...they are screening ticket applicants... For scaplers yes, but they're going through them all and analyzing them... I'm not suggesting that they're keeping out people they don't want necessarily, but I can see them making sure they find applicants who actually play pivotal roles at burning man and giving them a ticket.
    No doubt it was happening to some degree. Perhaps there was a higher number of "staff" tickets this year?

You have fun with that.
    lol, seriously...where did that even come from? this isn't a contest between two great events...

do you have dimensions yet?? multiple stories for it?? ha

aaronbk

Damn, pretty shitty. Oh well going to stay hopeful and Im sure it will work its self out for me in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbk View Post
    Damn, pretty shitty. Oh well going to stay hopeful and Im sure it will work its self out for me in the end.
    I have no doubt that anyone who wants a ticket will get one.

aaronbk

Word, I feel that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post

About That Survey

Post by trilobyte Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:17 pm
    Please know that the information you provided in the survey before registering for tickets is completely anonymous and has absolutely no bearing on the results of the Main Sale drawing. The survey was hosted on a third party survey site and was not otherwise connected to the ticketing system. Completed surveys were not tied to registration forms by any contact info or IP information, and the responses are being considered by another Burning Man department, not the Ticketing team.

Make sure you have funds

I wouldn't say they fucked up. They're doing the best they can in an impossible situation. If anything, the bmorgs attentiveness to the community and proactive approach to solving the issues that affect us has been stellar. Certainly better than any other event out there. They put out an idea to solve the issue of scarcity. It wasn't a great plan but it was lesser of the evils. And when the community gave their input, the bmorg responded by adjusting their plan accordingly. Primarily, a lot of people were concerned about it being a pure lottery and not being very fair. So the bmorg set aside a portion of tickets for a first come first served on sale. I thought that was great.

Regardless, one of the reasons I think they are doing a good job is because of things like this:

Nobody else does this. And nobody else is as informative and communicates regularly with their community like this. And that, for me, will always put them above all the rest.

They were not proactive or attentive, they were lazy and unimaginative. They've consistently been unwilling to deal with the server issues they have every january, and with the anticipated higher volume this time they just threw up their hands despair and didn't even try.

They screwed up, plain and simple. Their stated goal was to try to do something fair and in the interests of preventing abuse and profiting off of secondary ticket sales. Now they're admitting to filtering the applicants because *surprise surprise* the lower price tiers are incredibly flooded with scalpers. It should have been obvious to everyone. And it was. BM demand doesn't suddenly double or triple year over year. There aren't going to be significantly more than 50k people who are intent on going to BM during January, and in fact probably far less so early, as it happens every year (the "sellout" last year was not going to change that. There were actually more people in attendance in 2010). So that means a very large number of people swallowing up the tickets probably don't want to go.

The alternative to this would have been to do it the way it has always been done, except add a couple dollars to every ticket price to make sure their servers FUCKING WORK for once on the first day of sales.

There's a large gap between a scalper being intent enough to jump in the queue at 10am in January, and the relatively painless method of simply signing up at your leisure over a week and asking for a risk free cheap ticket. It's hard to imagine there would be more scalped tickets the old way.

And it's hilarious to congratulate them for setting up a ticket trading site. It will stop precisely nobody from selling their lower tier tickets for profit.

Of course this isn't the end of the world and just about everyone will probably get a ticket eventually, it's pretty safe to assume that a very large portion of folks who were charged $240 for their ticket are not going to be at the festival. period.

aaronbk

TRUTH^

I don't dispute any of that. Well put.