Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2012

Default Re: Burning Man 2012

Stubhub price at $1050 today. Am I naive to think that the price will dip in July and August?

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Stubhub price at $1050 today. Am I naive to think that the price will dip in July and August?
    I fully expect it will drop.

I would never pay more than $420 for one, even though I expect the price will never drop that low.

I'm hoping for something around 700. $300 markup is easier to swallow than $600.

Next year they should do the same fucking thing they did in 2011. Yes it might sell out in a few hours, but it'll be fair by the standards of anyone who isn't a complete and total acid casualty.

I'm hoping for something around 700. $300 markup is easier to swallow than $600.

Next year they should do the same fucking thing they did in 2011. Yes it might sell out in a few hours, but it'll be fair by the standards of anyone who isn't a complete and total acid casualty.
    That'd be nice, but it I'll lay extremely high odds that it will not go back. They'll have to figure something else out.
    They are not capable of managing the necessary capacity. It used to crash almost every year. But back then the worst that would happen is you may not get the lowest tier price, but a crash wouldn't mean you lost your chance at going ot BM.

Now with all the huge new demand (in no small part to that "oh the places you'll go" fuckhead), there's just no chance won't fuck it up again. You might say "well why don't they just buy the extra capacity and the resources to manage it?". Great question. It gets asked every year. They're idiots and if they haven't done that yet they never will.

I think the future state will be some combination of reserve tickets for special projects (not necessarily "camps"), and then some sort of lottery again, but with a thought through limited transferability system where the purchaser is locked to the ticket and it's worthless unless they sell it through BM at face value where they then lock the ticket to the next person. Every ticket must be registered to someone who shows up with the ID that matches it. Period.

This would suck for ppl who want to give their tickets to friends, but this opens up possibilities to scalping. Even if BM did let you directly transfer the ticket to someone else you know, they'd have to manage the transaction. This still could enable scalpers to sell "rights" to a friend transfer, but at this point it's getting to be a bigger hassle for them.

That's the only way to crush the secondary market that I know of. I'll bet that reduces the lottery entries by about half.
    I think the future state will be some combination of reserve tickets for special projects (not necessarily "camps"), and then some sort of lottery again, but with a thought through limited transferability system where the purchaser is locked to the ticket and it's worthless unless they sell it through BM at face value where they then lock the ticket to the next person. Every ticket must be registered to someone who shows up with the ID that matches it. Period.

That's the only way to crush the secondary market that I know of. I'll bet that reduces the lottery entries by about half.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 03-06-2012 at 02:48 PM.

I guess you didn't get the memo but:

The ticketing company is so incompetent and the first-come-first-served system so vulnerable that the very second tickets went on sale, the servers would be onslaught by so many attempts to by tickets that people would be reduced to waiting in a queue (as you well know) but now your chances of getting a ticket are reduced by the variables relating to your internet connection, server load, and other IT technicalities affecting your ability to get a ticket to the point that it is mere chance you will get one. Thus, you have the same probability of getting a ticket in a lottery as you do in a first-come-first-served on sale. In both scenarios, getting a ticket is out of your control. But, if you like the illusion of "control" then that is your perogative. But, the previous system will never work, again. Pandora's Box has been opened. There's no going back to that system.

Like mr. straw said, its probably going to be some kind of blend of reserved tickets for large projects and volunteer groups like lamplighters, dpw, gate, perimeter, and such with the remainder going towards to everyone else.

Camps are in the process of being notified about ticket alotments right now. Not sure how long the process will go on. It's a bit complicated since they're doling tickets and trying to possibly place at the same time. They've been fairly generous to several that I've heard from so far. Good luck, panty sniffers.

Ours got bounced over to the DMV since they were confused about the nature of our camp.
    Our DMV app was approved but not sure if they'll have any tix to give us yet.

Burning Man sounds entirely too overwhelming for me.

All tickets awardees have been and notified. If you didn't get in on the STEP program then your only hope is on the grey market.
    Thanks for playing.

please don't pay fucking hundreds above face.

who's headlining the main stage???

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    who's headlining the main stage???
    lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

"lulz"? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    please don't pay fucking hundreds above face.
    Oh, fuck that sanctimonious horseshit. BMORG literally handed these tickets over to the scalpers with their hamfisted lottery, so, I'll pay what I must.

hey man, that's cool. you're just locking in those prices for future burns, if any. no biggie. I'd rather not go than pay hundreds more, and I'll bet if I wait long enough I won't.

sanctimonious? Get real, this shit isn't sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    I guess you didn't get the memo but:

The ticketing company is so incompetent and the first-come-first-served system so vulnerable that the very second tickets went on sale, the servers would be onslaught by so many attempts to by tickets that people would be reduced to waiting in a queue (as you well know) but now your chances of getting a ticket are reduced by the variables relating to your internet connection, server load, and other IT technicalities affecting your ability to get a ticket to the point that it is mere chance you will get one. Thus, you have the same probability of getting a ticket in a lottery as you do in a first-come-first-served on sale. In both scenarios, getting a ticket is out of your control. But, if you like the illusion of "control" then that is your perogative. But, the previous system will never work, again. Pandora's Box has been opened. There's no going back to that system.

Like mr. straw said, its probably going to be some kind of blend of reserved tickets for large projects and volunteer groups like lamplighters, dpw, gate, perimeter, and such with the remainder going towards to everyone else.
    I got the memo. It says that you breathe through your mouth. Fewer scalpers and more burners would have won tickets with the old system. 2010 took more than 5 months to sell out. 2011 might have been a one-day sell out... But then again, maybe not. We'll never know. It definitely would have been better than a system that allowed scalpers to pound the lottery with gift card-based entries for two entire fucking weeks.

Your post reflects the idiocy that led to this fiasco. Die in a fire.
    Last edited by shermanoaksyo; 03-13-2012 at 11:27 AM.

aaronbk

hmmm^ Weird.

Its prolly DISTRKT or Brass Tax pulling a prank on them
    Last edited by A-Ron; 03-14-2012 at 12:28 PM.

no it's them. They're just gRIPEing. They'll be there.

totally a brass tax type gag though.

Our Mutant Vehicle design was accepted so we will have a giant windsurf board with sail on the playa:-) Our first year and a virgin theme camp to boot......pretty excited about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    Our Mutant Vehicle design was accepted so we will have a giant windsurf board with sail on the playa:-) Our first year and a virgin theme camp to boot......pretty excited about that!
    Cool! I hope to get a few rides.

Absolutely! Just say hi and we will be happy to have you on board:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    Absolutely! Just say hi and we will be happy to have you on board:-)
    Post a picture when it's done!

Also, I'll have a mobile grilled cheese cart this year and I'll be serving award winning grilled cheese at random locations throughout the week. I know at least one night I'll be at Disco Knights and at least one morning at Robot Heart Bot but the rest is up in the air.

Great! Good to know and we will be looking for you:-)

As we build it I will post pics and certainly when it is done!

Will be my 3rd year on the playa
    Last year camped @ 3:30 and esplanade

Pretty excited for this year and at the same time sad as I know it will be the last time I go till I'm done with school.

All the more reason to make it epic this year then:-)

Tickets haven't mailed to anyone yet, I assume?

can i buy a ticket at the door

You know it ''sold out'' months ago, right?

Burning Man sounds entirely too overwhelming for me.
    So what changed your mind then? The answer is no it's sold out so you would need to go through a third party seller. But feel free to make the trip out there just to have to come back.

Also are you really trying to go or are you just wanting to post something in every single thread there is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    You know it ''sold out'' months ago, right?
    lol get the fuck out of this thread suprefan