Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2012

Default Re: Burning Man 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    Post a picture when it's done!

Also, I'll have a mobile grilled cheese cart this year and I'll be serving award winning grilled cheese at random locations throughout the week.

Recognize.

Anyone get a shipping confirmation yet for thickets? Apparently it looks a little something like this... (Cue obligatory "last year was better" blahblah.)

554177_450772848280611_1410397166_n.jpg

i got my ticket but i had to sell it so sad. I hate being poor.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Anyone get a shipping confirmation yet for thickets? Apparently it looks a little something like this... (Cue obligatory "last year was better" blahblah.)

554177_450772848280611_1410397166_n.jpg
    how do you figure that a picture of the ticket would elicit "obligatory" "last year was better" crap? that's more annoying than actual "last year was better" crap.

i guess i need to start gathering stuff for this trip. i have been browsing various packing lists online. anyone got any suggested items to pack that may have been overlooked? also what tent should i get? and type of tent stakes? im going to assume the old tent I have used for various desert parties in the 90s isnt going to cut it at bm.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Having a big tent is nice for costume storage, changing while not getting socks/feet dusty, nefarious activities and whatnot. But as for the tent surviving, anything will do as long as it's not already ripped. The wind will make any hole bigger over the course of the week. A secondary shade structure over the tent is (as at Coachella) essential for morning snoozing in the tent. Though I've never used this method. I usually forage for a breezy, shady spot to catch a few more zzzz's in the am.

Depending on the size of your camp you will need more or less stuff with you. Resist the temptation to overpack, as your campmates and neighbors have inevitably brought too much of everything you've forgotten. Except beer, bring lots of that. ;-)

my old old tent i dont know where the stakes are and its really small, i only ever used it for 3 day 2 nights ca desert parties. I wanted something bigger so Id have room for an air mattress, all my crap, to change, etc.

Cetaphil
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    my old old tent i dont know where the stakes are and its really small, i only ever used it for 3 day 2 nights ca desert parties. I wanted something bigger so Id have room for an air mattress, all my crap, to change, etc.
    If you're worried about the size it's probably too small.
    You'll be partying as hard as you ever have and coming back at odd hours so your tent will probably wind up looking like a crime scene quickly. I highly recommend having your own sleep tent with minimal other shit in there (clothes only maybe) and then have a small equipment tent.

It's also a good idea to have a tent you can stand up straight inside. Trying to dress/undress while crouched over while cranky and sore is the worst.

If you're using an old tent the most important thing is make sure the zipper is in good shape. It will get thrashed, and you don't want to have a broken zipper out there letting dust storms have their way with all your shit inside. Some people put WD40 to lubricate their zippers but once you do it's all downhill as dust gets gunked up in it. You'll get a fair amount of dust in any case so cover your bed with a garbage bag while you're not in it. Falling down on a reasonably dust-free bed is fuckign glorious.

And forget your old stakes even if you find them. And forget rebar. Go to Home Depot and get 18" cement spikes (a little thicker than rebar but smooth). There' a little more expenseive but they hold as well as rebar and they're super easy to pull out. You can get foam pipe sheathing in the plumbing section to cover what sticks out of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    If you're worried about the size it's probably too small.
    You'll be partying as hard as you ever have and coming back at odd hours so your tent will probably wind up looking like a crime scene quickly. I highly recommend having your own sleep tent with minimal other shit in there (clothes only maybe) and then have a small equipment tent.

It's also a good idea to have a tent you can stand up straight inside. Trying to dress/undress while crouched over while cranky and sore is the worst.

If you're using an old tent the most important thing is make sure the zipper is in good shape. It will get thrashed, and you don't want to have a broken zipper out there letting dust storms have their way with all your shit inside. Some people put WD40 to lubricate their zippers but once you do it's all downhill as dust gets gunked up in it. You'll get a fair amount of dust in any case so cover your bed with a garbage bag while you're not in it. Falling down on a reasonably dust-free bed is fuckign glorious.

And forget your old stakes even if you find them. And forget rebar. Go to Home Depot and get 18" cement spikes (a little thicker than rebar but smooth). There' a little more expenseive but they hold as well as rebar and they're super easy to pull out. You can get foam pipe sheathing in the plumbing section to cover what sticks out of the ground.
    This post is full of gold. I had a fine time my first year with a small, messy tent - but Jackstraw is absolutely right that it makes it a nightmare to keep your gear and clothes remotely organized.

Lurker

Sounds like total overkill to me. A proper shade structure (which you should have anyways) should be mitigating the majority of wind forces that would require such extensive tie downs imo. But, everyone's got their own system.
    How do you propose to keep this structure held down?

Also, we had a dry winter in the Sierras this year. Part of the snow melt runs north east to Pyramid Lake and eventually floods the playa. 2010 was a big snow year, and 2011 may be the biggest pow year I'll ever see. That gave us a firm playa, my art car loved that. The playa was never submerged in 2012, so get ready for a soft sandy surface. Burners be warned. See you all out there, let me know if anyone needs a bit of guidance. I'll be representing North Lake Tahoe!

Sounds like total overkill to me. A proper shade structure (which you should have anyways) should be mitigating the majority of wind forces that would require such extensive tie downs imo. But, everyone's got their own system.
    Holler back when you're chasing your shade structure down the street and through someone else's camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowchella View Post
    How do you propose to keep this structure held down?

Also, we had a dry winter in the Sierras this year. Part of the snow melt runs north east to Pyramid Lake and eventually floods the playa. 2010 was a big snow year, and 2011 may be the biggest pow year I'll ever see. That gave us a firm playa, my art car loved that. The playa was never submerged in 2012, so get ready for a soft sandy surface. Burners be warned. See you all out there, let me know if anyone needs a bit of guidance. I'll be representing North Lake Tahoe!
    DUNES.

2007 was also a very dry year and bikes were near fucking useless. Even the city streets were fucked. 2008 wasn't great either. Looks like we might see the same this year.

time to cozy up to your friends with art cars.

Jack: any advice for those of us who have only attended during the last couple "good-weather" years? Anything we should have on hand for protection/personal care? I get away with wearing sneakers most of the time... Guess I better gets some good boots this year if there are to be dunes.

ok thoughts on this tent?

http://www.camptents.com/SpecPages/C...binTent237.htm

Or this one.. since its really just for me
    http://www.basspro.com/Coleman-Insta...27#description

and does anyone know where they are camping yet? I'll be around 7:45 and B

I just bought one of those instant tents. I borrowed one at ********* this year and was more than enough room.

Jack is on point with cement spikes. I use them plus metal pipe tighteners to attach to my shade structure legs, plus with rope to secure even more when it gets windy. They can easily be put on and removed with a cordless drill.

I'm camping with DISTRIKT this year, I'm sure you'll all know where to find us. Most likely working the bar this year.

Like I said, we were talking about a tent not a shade structure. Different shade structures are going to need different holddown requirements. I've been getting a long plenty fine with rebar. Besides, as you said, "There' a little more expenseive but they hold as well as rebar and they're super easy to pull out", so I'll be sure to holler when my shade structure almost surely blows away in the wind. That shade structure you know so much about.
    She didn't reference a shade structure and was only talking about her tent. Then you jump in and say fuck the tent spikes assuming she was under some shade structure. Are we to assume that everyone has your exact setup, or that whatever is shading her (which she didn't mention) would also block wind? absorb the context before shitting on someone's advice.

Unless her shade is also a windblock (which apparently yours is), she'll need a secure tent.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 07-25-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Jack: any advice for those of us who have only attended during the last couple "good-weather" years? Anything we should have on hand for protection/personal care? I get away with wearing sneakers most of the time... Guess I better gets some good boots this year if there are to be dunes.
    if you haven't gotten a bike yet go for the heaviest one you can get. Inertia's your friend. tires as big and wide as possible. beach cruisers do well through dunes (at least better than mountain bikes).

2008 was the last time I remember heavy and sustained windstorms and the only real advice is pretty much the standard stuff, get a proper dust mask (ideally one of the slightly more expensive one with an exhaust flap. Also get CLEAR goggles. dark tinted goggles are just for trying to look cool. In a proper heavy dust storm they are useless, the sun is obviously not your bigger concern then. You'll need them at night too obviously. Those who remember the massive storm that delayed the man burn for hours in 2009 won't forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Ron View Post
    I just bought one of those instant tents. I borrowed one at ********* this year and was more than enough room.

Jack is on point with cement spikes. I use them plus metal pipe tighteners to attach to my shade structure legs, plus with rope to secure even more when it gets windy. They can easily be put on and removed with a cordless drill.

I'm camping with DISTRIKT this year, I'm sure you'll all know where to find us. Most likely working the bar this year.
    have you camped with them before?

Tell Spoon he better keep an eye on his yurt this year.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 07-25-2012 at 05:27 PM.

hey jack so for stakes should i get rebar at home depot and will they help me bend them or should i just do the pool noodle tennis ball route?
    what about a tent swamp cooler thing or some sort of battery power cooling option? im starting to get paranoid it will be too hot to sleep. i see some cool DIY things but i rather pay someone to diy it for me if that works (bucket, holes, spongy stuff). or what options are realistic?

ps i went with the coleman but got the 6 person.

I've never heard of a swamp cooler doing a good job to cool a tent. unless maybe with a big fan. you really want solid walls and no huge vents for those to have any effect. Also have ice available to put in it. so you have to go out into the heat to get your ice once they're open. Regardless of what that costs, ice is precious out there simply because of how much of a pain in the ass it is to get. I personally would rather keep the ice on my drinks than melting in my tent.

A battery powered fan is probably your safest bet just to keep the air circulating and cool as long as possible, but for at least a few hours each day your tent will likely be too hot no matter what you do. Just lounge in the shade and then get a nap before dinner.

now to Where's The Beef's point, you should clarify what you have shading your tent. If your tent is exposed to the wind you should get at least 1/2" rebar, enough to sink about a foot. Some folks bend a corner into the top end so that you can pound the whole thing into the playa and leave nothing exposed to trip on. That way's tougher to get them out though. If you want to leave them straight then you'll need about a foot sticking out to make sure your loop doesn't slip off. Then you do the pool noodle thing. Pool noodles are a pricier option but usually very visible. I usually get cheap foam pipe sheathing (plumbing section of home depot) and then just mark everything with neon marking tape (in the hand tool section).

6 person is perfect. never go any smaller. I have friends with that insta-tent and they're perfect for BM. They can be fully sealed and thus great to keep out dust. I guess if there's any tent where a swamp cooler might have some effect that might be the one.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 07-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.

There is a 5000sf shade structure, kitchen, showers... im told we'll put tents under the shade thing.

what size cooler or coolers should I get for ice/drinks? there will be communal ones for the communal food but we are on our own for personal/drinks. Ive never camped this many days in a row. Do I need 2 coolers? someone suggested dry ice and ice in one.. ice and beverages in the other and move ice from one to the other. 50 quart? 38? 70? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    have you camped with them before?

Tell Spoon he better keep an eye on his yurt this year.
    First time with them and first time with a camp of this size.

Also, they'll be cutting the number of people playing this year, and giving folks longer sets, which is a good thing imo.

Is anyone looking for a ticket? I have one top tier ticket available for purchase. Thought I would offer here before FB.. before CL. pm me if interested.

There is a 5000sf shade structure, kitchen, showers... im told we'll put tents under the shade thing.

what size cooler or coolers should I get for ice/drinks? there will be communal ones for the communal food but we are on our own for personal/drinks. Ive never camped this many days in a row. Do I need 2 coolers? someone suggested dry ice and ice in one.. ice and beverages in the other and move ice from one to the other. 50 quart? 38? 70? thanks!
    bring a fairly large one and stock it with coconut water. Nectar of the gods out there.
    If your meals are taken care of then I'd still suggest bringing some of your favorite snack foods. Your stomach may be all kinds of weird out there and you may not be hungry at times you really should be eating. Lots of people get this idea that they're going to eat all healthy out there, they're usually begging for junk food by the end. Bring delicious food that won't spoil quickly if your cooler doesn't stay cold enough. Sometimes some candy is a godsend. If you have to force yourself to eat healthy food, then you just plain wont eat it up there and you need to always be drinking always and eating when possible.

2 coolers is ideal so that you're not constantly opening one and letting all the cool air out of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Ron View Post
    First time with them and first time with a camp of this size.

Also, they'll be cutting the number of people playing this year, and giving folks longer sets, which is a good thing imo.
    longer sets... as if it made a difference who was playing at any given time (wacka wacka wacka!).

we're good friends of theirs and will probably be there quite a bit. post a pic so I know who to give shit to at the bar. You wont see it coming.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 07-26-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Is anyone looking for a ticket? I have one top tier ticket available for purchase. Thought I would offer here before FB.. before CL. pm me if interested.
    PM sent!

Food was probably the only thing I messed up on last year (my first year) and even then it wasn't so bad. I didn't have a cooler so I was mostly eating canned soup/chili, beef jerky, dried fruit, tortilla chips, etc. It was fine, but friends had coolers with cold pasta salad and fruit and that was really the jam. Don't really plan on full meals, you're not really going to sit down and eat three courses ever... it's mostly a lot of snacking, and your body is so shocked by the conditions that you're going to want things that you already love to eat. Pre-prepared food works well and is much easier than cooking a lot.

Canned beer is essential, a Blue Moon for breakfast (lmao) every day last year was the greatest thing. Gatorade (powdered stuff works well), the aforementioned coconut water, delicious stuff in general.

Kinda nervous about the bad weather this year, I had it easy in 2011 apparently. Let's get dusty

Dani, if you've got a big camp with an organized food prep and wash and disposal area then I'd definitely take advantage of it. If you don't then keep food prep to a minimum because cleaning dishes and pots is horrible out there, and there's no easy drain that takes it all out of your life for you. Grey water is a hassle.

And if you do cook messy food clean your pots and pans ASAP, before you eat even. If your greasy pots dry up and get gunked up with dust you will simply not clean them (but you may get desperate enough to use it again in that condition). Wash them while it's as easy as just splashing some water around and wiping it down with a paper towl. You cannot scrub pots under running water out there.

I used to bring a bunch of prepared foods but they're usually gross.
    I bring fresh fruit and snacks, and maybe one or two big meals to share. Ideally others do the same.

My friend never brings anything other than a giant bag of pretzels. You tend to run into food all over the place out there and people are always trying to feed each other.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 07-30-2012 at 11:48 AM.

All of you that go to this get serious props. There's no way in hell I'd be able to hang.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths