Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2012

Default Re: Burning Man 2012

Just got an email with the charge for the 2 tix I requested.

Nothin here so far

Quote Originally Posted by A-Ron View Post
    Just got an email with the charge for the 2 tix I requested.
    Congratulations!

I just got an email, my ticket is secured. Now the fun part. Who am I going with?
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Ticket secured!

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    I just got an email, my ticket is secured. Now the fun part. Who am I going with?
    Well I'm sure you'll have the pick of the litter.

aaronbk

Congrats guys. still got my fingers crossed.

I'M FREAKING OUT

I am so fucking nervous.
    SO NERVOUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

there's no need to freak out as long as you're prepared to pay $390 for a ticket in a couple months.

aaronbk

not really worried? Why are you two so worried. Im sure we will get tickets if we really want to be out there.

I'm absolutely prepared to pay $390 in a couple months, so here's hoping. I thought about this but the whole lottery thing is fucked (I agree with jackstraw on all points). Especially that the demand isn't so much higher than it was last year, it's just that people are freaked out (see: me) about the lottery thing so they signed up for way more than they personally need. I don't think it's scalpers, just people who legitimately want to go and were concerned about the lottery. So, once those people sort their tickets out in the next few weeks they'll realize they have way too many, and it'll go back to how it was last year where you'll be able to buy a ticket a few months in advance for cash without worrying too much about it (except now it's on the STEP system as opposed to straight from the org).

I got a confirmation for one ticket. I think I requested two (I had to change my quantity which required a support ticket). Maybe I'll get another one, but I doubt it? Got my notice about it at 2:55 so go figure.

Looks like only the higher tier tickets have been dealt with still. I hate this:-(

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    Looks like only the higher tier tickets have been dealt with still. I hate this:-(
    Yeah my friends who put in for the lower price tier haven't heard anything.

So is this going to be THE thread? Cause I kind of liked the theme in the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    So is this going to be THE thread? Cause I kind of liked the theme in the thread title.
    Go with the theme thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Fuck....my buddies got tickets confirmed. Still nothing from me.

what if it's not meant to be? I am being punished for masturbating??? That's the only thing I have done besides love and hard work.

*shrug*
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I'm absolutely prepared to pay $390 in a couple months, so here's hoping. I thought about this but the whole lottery thing is fucked (I agree with jackstraw on all points). Especially that the demand isn't so much higher than it was last year, it's just that people are freaked out (see: me) about the lottery thing so they signed up for way more than they personally need. I don't think it's scalpers, just people who legitimately want to go and were concerned about the lottery. So, once those people sort their tickets out in the next few weeks they'll realize they have way too many, and it'll go back to how it was last year where you'll be able to buy a ticket a few months in advance for cash without worrying too much about it (except now it's on the STEP system as opposed to straight from the org).

The real test of who these people really are (scalpers vs. nervous overbuyers) is to start tracking the secondary sales of these things.
    Ideally BM would have a record of the serials vs. registered buyers. Anyone buying them for above face (+fees) should report the ticket number to BM and then the patterns would start to develop as far as who's abusing the system. Of course an original buyer could claim that he sold it for face and then that person scalped it, so maybe it would be ideal to track every change of ownership or else the original buyer is implicated.

yeah that's complicated, but I think asking everyone for another $3 on their ticket to control the aftermarket is a reasonable request. $3 x 40k (I'll generously assume ~10k don't pay) = $120k, which should cover dedicating one guy and some equipment to manage this.

I think this would free up a lot of spots in the early tiers. As unfortunate as it is there are shitloads of folks who cry poor all the time and feel morally justified skimming money from "rich" burners to finance their own trip.

You just HAVE to assume a lot of the double ticket orderers are going to turn around and flip the second one to knock their own ticket cost down to $90. brilliant.

Wish people could just make an honest living doing something productive. Middle men are little men.

I got a ticket! Woo.

Anyway, freaking out aside, I feel like a combination of forcing you to register via your name when you buy tickets and forcing all name transfers/ticket sales to use the STEP system would do away with scalping entirely? It'd take a bit more time at the entrance and a bit more administration but it seems like a valid tradeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Wish people could just make an honest living doing something productive. Middle men are little men.
    I've always felt this way about scalping. Oh wait, they call themselves "ticket agencies" right? Pisses me off to no end. Ticketmaster and a few others are "ticket agencies" all the rest are middle men making their dime on a mark-up that nobody sees a cut of except themselves. These guys think they are providing a service buy purchasing mass quantities of tickets during the on-sales for high demand shows, then seconds later turning around and selling them on their sites. It's ridiculous and a down right ugly way to make a living.

Default Burning Man 2012: Fertility 2.0

There is no enough in nature. It is one vast prodigality. It is a feast. There is no economy: it is all one immense extravagance. It is all giving, giving, giving: no saving, no penury; a golden shower of good things forever descending.
    Richard Jefferies

Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

New thread..... Who has a ticket?

Everyone wants something for nothing.

I make sure to spoil people in my day to day when I notice they are genuine, real, hardworking, loving, selfless.
    It all comes around in the end. Golden rule.

Greed and laziness should not be rewarded.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Ironic
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Default Re: Burning Man 2012: Fertility 2.0

Why are the doing a 2.0 on a theme? Just curious. I should do the research, but I know the first Fertility was '97. I haven't made the connection yet. Why for 2012 again?

Meant to put this in Other Music Festivals. Fail

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Fact: Only 8,000 people were there in '97
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I'm relieved to have gotten a ticket today. Now I have much to do before August.