Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up and coming bands to look out for...

Lurker

Default Up and coming bands to look out for...

Hey! I'm pretty new to the message boards here but as you all seem like great music fans I thought you could all help out a little.

I'm pretty up to date with most of the music making waves over here in the UK as I spend (waste) most of my time and money going to gigs and searching out new bands. Just wondered what bands are making waves right now in the States - or anywhere else as I've seen a few Aussies on here preparing to make the trip!

I always love a good music discussion and finding new bands that blow your mind and what not. Open to suggestions and all.

Personally my two favourite bands who are starting to create a buzz right now are Dry The River and Tribes. Both london based bands with albums out this year. If you do read this maybe give them a listen on the videos below and tell me what you think. And of course give me some suggestions too. If anyone actually replies/likes these bands I'll post up a few more later in the week.

TRIBES - SAPPHO

DRY THE RIVER - NEW CEREMONY

Hope you all are enjoying your start to 2012 and let me know what weekend you're going to Coachella too - if you are going this year.

Default Re: Up and coming bands to look out for...

I fell in love with CATWALK after seeing them perform. Really fucking good pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Not sure what you said, because I stopped reading after "Aussie" and thought of this.
    To Supre:
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Isn't there some awful hardcore band you should be listening to?

My favorite new acts of 2011 were EMA and Milk Music.

EMA (Erika M. Anderson) is playing Coachella this year. She was in a band called Gowns that were based in Oakland. It was her on guitar/vocals, her boyfriend/former Mae Shi singer Ezra Buchla on synths/vocals and Corey Fogel on drums. They were intense and very quiet on their albums, and they were brutally intense and incredible live. They were really rough on eachother and in early 2010 her and Buchla split, and Gowns broke as a result. Erika moved back to the midwest and wrote an album in the ensuing year. It's more melodic than her work in Gowns, but still very intense and somewhat jarring. I love her voice, as she can go from a ragged howl to a great layered choir of rhythmic singing. The album (Past Life, Martyred Saints) is best taken as a whole, but the track I'd most recommend today is Breakfast, but The Grey Ship is probably better. Her live set is great, and she chooses some great songs to cover live. When I saw her, she did Add it Up by the Violent Femmes.

Milk Music are from Olympia, Washington. They are a band that really loves 80s melodic hardcore punk like Wipers, early Nirvana, Melvins, Dinosaur Jr. and the like. They have a really great, fuzzy guitar tone and write some good melodies. Apparently they've actually been around since 2009, but they first started getting recognized last year when they did a wider repress of their ep (Beyond Living). I've listened to the ep about 20 times. It's definitely a throwback to older music, but in the current indie-sphere of electronic references and softer indie rock, it's great to hear a band turn it up to 11 and shred. I love all 6 songs, but these are my two favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by hereslookingatyoukid View Post

Personally my two favourite bands who are starting to create a buzz right now are Dry The River and Tribes. Both london based bands with albums out this year.

DRY THE RIVER - NEW CEREMONY

Dry The River is playing at the Troubadour Wednesday night with Alabama Shakes for you LA folk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    Dry The River is playing at the Troubadour Wednesday night with Alabama Shakes for you LA folk.
    That's a pretty awesome line up. Both great new acts. I saw Dry The River last night and they were fantastic and seeing Alabama Shakes in London next month. Would definitely recommend to any people who can get to the Troubadour - if tickets are still available.

Lurker

EMA always pop up on my last.fm but I never bother to listen. Glad I have now. The first song I liked quite a lot but The Dark Ship was brilliant. I will definitely be listening to them some more. Thanks for that and all the added info you included with the video!

Thumbs up Re: Up and coming bands to look out for...

The Lower Dens http://open.spotify.com/album/4DdjZfxFCoTP6sYtdYBdUg

lo-fi, reverb-garage pop band out of Baltimore. formed by lead singer Jana Hunter, whose voice is somewhat reminiscent of a female version of Kurt Vile. say hi Jana!

The band's freshmen album, Twin Hand Movement, came out last year. Didn't make a large amount of waves within the interwebs, but the blogs that took noticed realized the band has depth and potential (over 8 on PF). jana comes across cooler than the leather jacket toting, long haired rocker you can find at your local/hip dive bar. the lo-fi sound of the band is great, imo some lo-fi albums are too extreme and the intensity of the song or story is lost. these guys know how to jam out a track and are already coming out with a follow up LP titled Nootropics, due out at the end of march. It's cool they're releasing 2 full length LPs so close to each, hope to hear more on this guys as the year goes on.

here is some of their stuff:

Hospice Gates (first album)

Brains (new album)
    mja: "i would make a great effeminate hick-accented puppet"

Quote Originally Posted by ZachTheEskimo View Post

Not sure what you said, because I stopped reading after "Aussie" and thought of this.
    Definitely agree on the up & coming part but what I can't figure out is how much I like them. I go back and forth every time I listen. This song is my favorite though.

This is L.P. from New York City. She has just been signed to Warner Brothers Records and will be releasing her major label debut album this year. It is being produced by Florence and the Machine's producer and it sounds catchy as hell.
    Last edited by paulb; 01-24-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

So why should we listen to this, Paul? Who is it? Where are they up and coming from? what does it sound like?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Well, the connection to Florence and the Machine is certainly obvious from that song.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post
    Definitely agree on the up & coming part but what I can't figure out is how much I like them. I go back and forth every time I listen. This song is my favorite though.
    Yeah, this is the clear "hit" or whatever. But seriously, can't fucking stop listening to these guys.
    To Supre:
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Isn't there some awful hardcore band you should be listening to?

So Many Wizards is from Long Beach. It's nice music. I do not know what else to say.

Dry the River have been on next big thing lists over here for a few years now. I've seen them a couple of times supporting people and thought they were fairly shit.

Quite keen on Dev Hynes new Blood Orange project. I think he might be turning into Prince. He's over supporting Florence in April.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

I need some new vital dynamic music.
    I'm a bit full up on "boutique indie" right now- precious little bloodless musical shoebox dioramas where everyone politely plays their instrument and it's all very tasteful and nice.
    I want something with some blood in it.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Dunno if this is your sorta thing at all, but I was feeling the same exact way and the Cloud Nothings album has been hitting every button for me this week. He takes stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring and Jawbox and adds some more pop and some more angular guitar. Steve Albini recorded it so you know it sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Dunno if this is your sorta thing at all, but I was feeling the same exact way and the Cloud Nothings album has been hitting every button for me this week. He takes stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring and Jawbox and adds some more pop and some more angular guitar. Steve Albini recorded it so you know it sounds good.
    good call on Cloud Nothing's...their newest album is pretty sick. from the interviews i've read though, Producer Steve Albini had a very positive / game changing way the band has recorded tracks in the past. I really don't know much about his background, sounds like a cool dude though...

Albini? Even if you aren't familiar with him, as a fan of indie/alternative/rock music you'd have heard some of his prior work. Nirvana's In Utero, PJ Harvey's Rid of Me, Pixies' Surfer Rosa, The Breeders' Pod, The early Jesus Lizard albums, Joanna Newsom's Ys: he's worked on some fantastic shit. He has always said that he'll work with any band that wants to work with him, and he charges a sliding scale for his work, so even tiny bands can get in the studio with him. He also fights against the term "Producer" for what he does. He claims that he just engineers the sound, and the band produces it. That said, while he is very hands off with the actual music, he's got a knack for where to mic an instrument and how to make everything sound really sharp and ugly. Steve is the best. (And his current band, Shellac, will hopefully have an album out this year.)

bmack - really, sold post! thanks for the info man. i should look into Shellac, wonder if they're on Spotify

i'm enjoying the lo-fi'ish sound from attack on memory

Cameron Frye, read and report back:

To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

there's kerosene around, something to do
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I have been really enjoying this lately.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Have you listened to the Cloud Nothings album, Tom? You might like this one a lot.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Frye View Post
    bmack - really, sold post! thanks for the info man. i should look into Shellac, wonder if they're on Spotify

i'm enjoying the lo-fi'ish sound from attack on memory
    I highly doubt Shellac is on Spotify. Albini's also a big proponent of analog as opposed to digital.

That being said, if you want to start with Shellac, track down 1000 Hurts. That album is vicious.

And Tom, I'm glad. That album has been on constant rotation in my house this month.

so much music, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Cameron Frye, read and report back
    hey Miroir - thanks for the suggestion. i'll let you know my thoughts once i can get my paws on a copy.

word

Youth Lagoon is pretty fresh on the scene, coming from Idaho with some beautiful tunes...one name i'd love to see added

Gardens & Villa is a California band from Santa Barbara. Glad they made the bill.. should be a nice early Sunday set

Also Metronomy...not that theyre very "new" but the new album has increased their fan base considerably.. but i'll assume you know that given your residency in the UK

should be a good set

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Cloud Nothings are alright, but their sound is really really well-mined territory.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough