Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calvin Harris!!! v. Pew pew pew

Default Calvin Harris!!! v. Pew pew pew

Who's ready for a dance party

Default Re: Calvin Harris!!! v. Pew pew pew

i think you're setting yourself up for dissapointment buddy.
    back when calvin used to do live sets witha full band he was awesome. but since he has started only djing he has become just another average run of the mill cheese house dj.
    also that awooga song is easily the worst song hes ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by manalive! View Post
    i think you're setting yourself up for dissapointment buddy.
    back when calvin used to do live sets witha full band he was awesome. but since he has started only djing he has become just another average run of the mill cheese house dj.
    also that awooga song is easily the worst song hes ever made.
    QFT

Plus I heard he hates Southern California for some reason and always plays like shit here.

he hardly played any of Ready for the Weekend at EDC. he played dubstep and that is when i left. dude sucks now

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CALVIN PLAY A LIVE SET
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

ya hes a Dj whore now but hell who could resist that life style?!

Paul is dead

I agree, Awooga is straight awful. It's like Scottish Brostep.

Feel So Close is much better, and I hope it's the direction his next album. You Used To Hold Me is still has a special place in my mind. That said, he's one of the few who also does vocals and does them well. I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by kushwig View Post
    I agree, Awooga is straight awful. It's like Scottish Brostep.

Feel So Close is much better, and I hope it's the direction his next album. You Used To Hold Me is still has a special place in my mind. That said, he's one of the few who also does vocals and does them well. I'm optimistic.
    I agree. I like "Feel So Close" and I even like "Bounce" (but that's partially because I like Kelis so much).
    But his vocals don't really factor into his set because it's going to be a DJ set. He doesn't do live sets anymore.

When he played at pacific fest last year, he just regurgitated a shorter version of his essential mix. Cool to hear on big speakers but weak that he gave 0 effort.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreChorizo View Post
    When he played at pacific fest last year, he just regurgitated a shorter version of his essential mix. Cool to hear on big speakers but weak that he gave 0 effort.
    yea and then when him and aoki were going to battle the speakers blew out... probably a good thing, anything aoki touches usually turns into fecal matter

he tends to be a "repeat set offender" bounce was a very nice track i liked it awooga was chill but it's SUPER overplayed. I really did wish he would go back doing live sets. . I want this Calvin Harris back with him singing again
    Friday - Amon Tobin, Breakbot, Frank Ocean, LA Riots, Madeon, M83
    Saturday - Destructo, Dragonette, Feist, Jacques La Cont, Kasabian, Radiohead, SebastiAn
    Sunday - Dj Shadow, Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg, Flourence and the Machine, Girl Talk, Housse de Racket, Justice, Metronomy, Modeskeletor, Porter Robinson, The Hives, The Weeknd

"Music produces a pleasure that human nature cannot live without"
    Confucius

Calvin Harris will never be anything special, but at least this Calvin was a fun guilty pleasure...

I can't even recall him doing a live set in the last 2ish years... But it doesnt say "dj set" next to his name so we can hope and dream lol. Would be a nice surprise :P
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

Calvin Harris is terrible live. Don't fool yourselves into thinking his live set is any better than his DJ sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

What do you think the average age of the kids in that video is?

i was so excited for this, now feeling a bit apprehensive. didnt know he stopped doing live sets

Quote Originally Posted by avengeance View Post
    he tends to be a "repeat set offender" bounce was a very nice track i liked it awooga was chill but it's SUPER overplayed. I really did wish he would go back doing live sets. . I want this Calvin Harris back with him singing again
    that was the calvin i was expecting. dude better bring it

Yeah, he issued a statement a while ago saying that he wasn't doing anymore live sets.

Calvin Harris' live set in 2008 was one of the most fun shows I've ever been to.

WHAT HAPPENED???!?!

I'll never forgive CH for ditching the live band...
    Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    it's like, at coachella, we can be a whole group of friends. a whole group of frogs jumping into the streets, jumping into the planet, climbing up the buildings, swimming in the lakes and in the bathtubs. we would be hundreds, thousands, millions. the biggest group of friends the world has ever seen, jumping and laughing forever. it would be great, right?
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012x2

HE WAS HORRIBLE AT PACIFIC FEST!
    Just play a damn live set and make the people happy you selfish prick!!!!
    <3 MODEST MOUSE <3 VIOLENT FEMMES <3 THE WOMBATS <3 THE 2 BEARS <3

Quote Originally Posted by avengeance View Post
    Decent band, but his singing is fucking atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
    Yeah, he issued a statement a while ago saying that he wasn't doing anymore live sets.
    i just dont get it. is it for more control/consistency? laziness? not having to share $$$ with the backing band?

ok i googled it, damn. not nearly as excited to see him now :/

Speaking to the Herald Sun last week, Harris revealed the next phase of his career would be as a DJ and producer instead of an ‘artist’, saying that he’s “not cut out for that role”.

“From now on forever I’ll be in DJ mode. I’ve stopped the live shows,” he began. “It was great fun but I’m just not cut out for that role. I kind of fell into it a few years ago, the live show had to happen, I had to be the frontman because I was doing the vocals on the songs. It went all right. I spent a few years trying to get it really properly good but it dawned on me it wasn’t going to get much better. I’ve taken the singing thing as far as I can… I’m not a singer. I’m not trained. Taking it onto the stage in front of people was terrifying. I got much, much better at it but I never lost the terror.”

Transforming into a full-time DJ, Harris explained that playing DJ sets was “more fun” and gave him an opportunity to be “really good” at something instead of what he saw as a merely adequate live entity.
    moar: http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl...no_more_albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    I can't even recall him doing a live set in the last 2ish years... But it doesnt say "dj set" next to his name so we can hope and dream lol. Would be a nice surprise :P
    He is at the point now where it would have to say live set next to his name to mean a live set. He doesn't do live sets anymore and Over the past 3 years all he has done is DJ. Hopes dashed.

I've seen him DJ twice, and the track listings were the same. I'd avoid his set like the plague. And to think he use to be one of my favorite artists.
    2013: Tool first three time Headliner.

I last saw him at Hard Haunted Mansion 2010, his set was pretty subpar. Didn't play anything off I Created Disco, just a few tracks from Ready For The Weekend and boring contemporary electro. I agree with you though, it's going to be a rough one to watch this year. What the fuck happened to that guy...
    Fuck "themule"

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Calvin Harris is terrible live. Don't fool yourselves into thinking his live set is any better than his DJ sets.
    WRONG!!!

havent been able to find a good copy of this song, it was one of my fav's from his coachella set 08

Super bummed out.... sad times.....
    Friday: Refused, M83, SebastiAn, Breakbot, Feed Me, Wolfgang, Ximena Sariñana.
    Saturday: The Shins, Miike Snow, Flying Lotus, Azealia Banks, Borgore, Destructo.
    Sunday: At the Drive In, Justice, La Roux, Santigold, Flux Pavilion & Doctor P, The Gaslamp Killer.

I am very sad that I saw the video for the human synth a few years ago and he just flaked out on that shit.

If he plays that stupid fucking Rihanna song I'll lose every shred of respect I have left for him. The worst part is that I feel like there's a legitimate chance he will... Not that I'll even be around for it.
    Fuck "themule"

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    If he plays that stupid fucking Rihanna song I'll lose every shred of respect I have left for him. The worst part is that I feel like there's a legitimate chance he will... Not that I'll even be around for it.
    But what if he has Rihanna as a guest?!?!?!?!

I was wondering what kind of set he was going to have. I saw him at Hard Haunted a few years ago and he was basically mixing his stuff with top 40s trash trash. But i think he was on tour with Rihanna during this time so it doesn't surprise me. But I'm guessing we wont hear anything off I Created Disco? And no live set

My ideal Calvin set would consist mostly of I Created Disco and Ready For The Weekend. As far as his newer stuff goes I hate "Awooga," but I love "Feel So Close," so I hope he plays that. But more than likely I'll have a major conflict during his set and won't be seeing him.