Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 565758596061626364 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 1913

Thread: FYF Fest 2012

Default Re: FYF Fest 2012

Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    Spicy Pie is just shitty to mediocre pizza in general. I don't get the hype.
    I'll eat it and the smell is great. But it's a little overrated and extremely messy.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by kpcamps View Post
    "Wonder if the promoter sees the short lines and small crowds as a success or if maybe we will get a real headliner next year. "

Funny because The Faint, American Nightmare, Desaparecidos and Refused all play so often and are small bands. And they even threw in Beirut and M83 for all you kids. Such fail
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Do not engage.
    Do not engage x2.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I'll eat it and the smell is great. But it's a little overrated and extremely messy.
    I got a slice. It does seem like it was done a bit better at Coachella. I still liked it. But it's far from the best pizza around.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    1. If you dont like the loud shit, stay away.

2. This guy?

1. Saw those acts waiting either (1) for a good spot for the next show or (2) for food, so a bit unavoidable. Others were plenty loud (DJr, Cloud Nothings, to name a couple), just more pleasing to the ear.

2. That's him. He was freakin' terrified.
    Last edited by grichsgang; 09-04-2012 at 03:20 PM.

There’s John Mayer and Katy Perry watching M83!

Finally, we made the pilgrimage to the tent for Nicolas Jaar, where a kid with a flower headband asked for a light and then fired the wrong end of his cigarette. “I’m on acid,” he shrugged, and danced off.

J Mascis' pic is pretty awesome here....

http://www.thefader.com/2012/09/04/live-fyf-fest/

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Does anyone know the tycho set list by chance?
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Yes - Greek Theater, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

been meaning to go to fyf since the first or second year, FINALLY made it this year and i'm now regretting not going previous years, clusterfucks and all. they did a fantastic job and i cant wait for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    EDIT: Oh yes, i also wanted to echo the fact that the crowd was mostly super awesome! We had a really fun time making fun of people's clothes, but everyone was really nice and no one was really being douchey or anything at all.
    THIS THIS THIS!!!! i kept telling my friend that i couldn't believe how laid back the crowd was. people were so friendly and very into the music (unlike the new coachella generation who are mostly there for the party with incidental background music). it felt like a pre-2010 coachella crowd. there were a couple of douchbags but they were very few and far in between, like punker-than-thou douche with the snakebites, plugs and denim vest in the pit before refused talking shit on everyone around him with his friends. how in your twisted logic can you justify talking shit on a girl just for putting in earplugs before a loud band when you have fucking snakebites?

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I wish they would plant some fucking grass,
    just speculation but i think how it works is end of summer fests come around (starting with HARD a month ago) and after 1-2 days the grass goes to shit. then the city knows they have another fest (FYF) almost a month later. the city of LA isnt going to waste more water than they need to seeing as how the place will likely be partially re-sodded after all the fests. i'm guessing this is similar to coachella and why weekend #2 will always be more dusty.

i agree something should be done but i'm not sure what is feasible. it takes a while for sod to root and they arent going to lay down new sod before a fest just to have it trampled to death, just to then have to do it all over again a month later

tons of water vendors (I love that they have people going thru the crowd with water and lemonade!)
    thats cool and all until you're at a quiet set with an overzealous vendor YELLING "GET YO WATER RIGHT HERE THREE DOLLARS RIGHT HERE GET YOUR WATER WE GOT ICE COLD WATER RIGHT HERE THREE DOLLARS...". only happened once or twice but it was annoying as fuck, especially when they stay in the same area of the crowd.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oh, i did want to mention that i was a bit pissed off that water was $3 when the FAQ on the fyf fest website clearly stated that it would be $2. I mean, it's still not that much compared to other events, but don't fucking advertise a specific price when that's not what's going to happen.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

fuck yeah/you fest

Oh, i did want to mention that i was a bit pissed off that water was $3 when the FAQ on the fyf fest website clearly stated that it would be $2. I mean, it's still not that much compared to other events, but don't fucking advertise a specific price when that's not what's going to happen.
    That was kind of lame, but the water refill station (as opposed to a drinking fountain) was a nice addition.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

BITCH BITCH BITCH!

I gotta echo the sentiment about this being a pretty great crowd for a festival. Besides the aforementioned hanging out with Drinkey and NMH, I met several cool, random folks. In particular one guy whose family had recently won $50k in the CA lottery (or so he said) and was in a major party mood. I also hung with some cool folks at Hot Snakes. They were really into them and gave me more background on the show. The only fratty, drunk-douche types I ran into were just before M83. Even they were mostly ok and mercifully left before Refused.

Does anyone else think that most of the crowds outside the dance tent were on the weaker side?
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Yes - Greek Theater, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Does anyone else think that most of the crowds outside the dance tent were on the weaker side?

Meaning?

I agree. The crowd that lingered around the edge of the dance tent was a bit sparse and frail looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Did it have to be a total plur party the whole time? I think the people who were walking to and from Spring St stage had more fun than the people in the back or outside. They were like jumping and dancing. Im sure they were suprised with so much electronic/dance music happening at fyf. Now the big issue next year will be if they do it the same way, or end up booking somebody thats going to bring the e tards..........

I was really surprised at all the crazy dancing happening during Suicide of Western Culture, but i think they were all really drunk
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I was.......
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I was really surprised at all the crazy dancing happening during Suicide of Western Culture, but i think they were all really drunk
    That was the best crowd all weekend! I loved the group that was jumping in a circle and chanting. The crowd is what really made this one of my favorite sets of the Fest.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

This is most likely tl;dr for many people, but here's a big run-down of my weekend anyway:

SATURDAY

Got up much later than planned due to a massive hangover from drinking for several hours before, during, and after the Niki & the Dove show the previous night. Got to the festival site right around 12:30 but had breakfast at Nick's Cafe right across the street from the park. This place is a seriously good greasy spoon diner. It's bustling and energetic inside and the wait staff is the sassy kind that calls you "honey" and "sugar" a lot. I had many cups f coffee and a fucking delicious ham and egg sandwich. by the time I was at the entrance of the fest i was feeling like a million bucks! Unfortunately I missed White rrows, but at this point I gave no fucks.

SOFT PACK were a lot of fun. We didn't get too close as we were really just observing the festival still, kind of amazed that we were actually there. The band is really tight and i love how the sax comes in and punctuates just the right parts.

MOONFACE was really good. Better suited for night time or inside a club I think, but they do a great job of building and building layer upon layer into these huge sonic masses. In a live setting it does feel a little formulaic from song to song though. Spencer's vocals sounded great with everything too.

I would have liked to have seen all of Moonface's set, but I getting a little antsy and left halfway to see THE MEN, and I'm very happy i did. These guys are so fucking live, and this set was even better than what i saw at Primavera. The guitars were super fucking loud, and I love how easily the 3 leads all switch doing vocals and playing different instruments. Great early day set to really set the mood and get the energy going.

After The Men, i walked over to see RED KROSS, but at this time I kept running into people I knew so ended up only really catching a couple minutes of them. They sounded good but i was mostly distracted.

After a quick stint in the beer garden, I caught CLOUD NOTHINGS, who were just fucking awesome. Opening right up with "Fall In," the energy was just blistering the whole set. They play pretty loose and really jam out out some of the longer songs. Definitely a top 5 set of the weekend for me. I'm pretty sure I was standing about 10 feet away from Kitt Kat and her very tall boyfriend during the whole set.

FUCKED UP were great as usual. My one complaint is that, especially at a festival set, it's kind of a bummer that Damian spends the entire sets nowadays in the crowd. i get that he loves the interaction, and it's awesome for the people right up front, but it does kind of suck for the other 1000 people to never see the singer on stage, especially when the singer is so interesting to look at. Thank goodness for the screens though. I love how he always ends up with things on his head. At one point he had beachball covering his entire face and then just ripped it in half. Setlist was great.

After a quest for food that ended with a long wait for some decent fish tacos at Green truck, I caught HOT SNAKES. This is a band that for some reason i never got into when they were first around, and even after their demise and all the hype surrounding them i still never really listened to until doing FYF research and fell in love. Going in as a new fan, I fucking loved their set. the guitars were super thrashy and loud as hell, and the energy for the entire set was just fantastic.

PURITY RINGturned out to be pretty entertaining, and good on them for coming up with a really innovative light show for what is really a nonexistent band. the singer still needs to work on her chops, but the light set yup is awesome, and the bass fucking booming. We caught about half of their set and then headed to Tycho, who i really now need to see again. I was only in the tent for about 15 minutes, and this is when i ran into pretty much every boardie I knew at the fest, so i couldn't totally pay attention to what looked like awesome stuff happening on the stage. What i could hear sounded great though.

After Tycho, Bmack, getbetter, and a few others and I went next door and managed to get an amazing spot for QUICKSAND, right in the direct center, about 30-40 feet from the stage. This was my absolute most anticipated set of the weekend and they did not disappoint at all, just fucking KILLED it. I will say that Walter's fairly casual, happy presence on stage is a little strange with the really heavy sound and not so happy lyrical output of the band, but he's just so damn confident up there and sounds so good that it's hard to complain. They played a really good mix of both albums, and even though they didn't play my two favorite songs ("Backward" and "Blister"), it was still everything i ever could have hoped for. SO GOOD.

SUICIDE OF WESTERN CULTURE then played to a very small, but extremely enthusiastic crowd. The sound was fantastically loud and translated very well in a live environment.

After one more quick beer, managed to get a very good spot for REFUSED. Seeing them a second time in only a couple months made them lose some of their intensity for me, but man these guuys arew still so fucking good. the energy on that stage is remarkable, and i love the singer's oft-ridiculous catalog of rockstar moves. The sound was crisp, clear, well-mixed, and extremely loud. We left after about 40 minutes to avoid the huge crowd rush to the Metro, but really enjoyed the set.

SUNDAY

Another late start, but no hangover this time. Got to WurstKuche at about noon, and just said "fuck it" in regards to making it in time to see Kishi Basho (who I heard was amazing). Met up with Sonnyboy and had a declicious brat and a couple great dunkelweizens.

Got to the fest at right about 2pm and then ended up waiting in line for like 25 minutes to get the special Converge shirt. Finally caught 1 song of Nick Waterhouse and he seemed awesome. Will try to see again.

Next up went to the beer garden near the Spring stage and had a great view of JOYCE MANOR. These guys are terrific live, and the singer reminds me a lot of Tom Gabel/Laura from Against me! for some reason their set ended 10 minutes ahead of schedule, which was a bummer.

Spent the next 30 minutes sitting in the beer tent listening to comedy waiting for David Cross. Garfunkel & Oates were excruciatingly annoying, and appanretly all of my friend who are really into stand-up love them and thought they were great. Their voices are grating and musical comedy live just seems do=umb because it strips away all of the interactivity and stroy-telling aspects that make seeing live stand-up worth it. Finally DAVID CROSS came on and we jumped out of the cage over to the tent. So glad he went on over his time and got a good 40 minute set. it was all material i hadn't heard before and funny as fuck. The 155 minute long colonic story was amazing, as was the bit about our historical forefathers reacting to modern technology and the bit about how our current generation sucks (my girlfriend and i couldn't stop talking about "artisanal rubberbands").

I ate a hot dog and drank a beer with some friends while watching a bit of King Khan & the Shrines, who were entertaining as usual, but wasn't paying attention enough to really absorb anything. I made a mad dash across the field just in time to catch CURSIVE doing "the Martyr," which i really surprised to hear as an opener. It was a really nice setlist, and i was surprised at this point to hear so many Domestica and Ugly Organ tracks in a short festival set right when promoting a new album. They even managed to play both "Dorothy at Forty" and "Big Bang," my two favorite songs off of Happy Hollows. I skipped out right after "Big Bang," only discovering now their next song was "Art is Hard," but I was still extremely satisfied with what i saw.

I ran back across to the Main and was able to get up really close just as AGAINST ME! was taking the stage. They were in top form, super energetic, just sounded great. i was super happy to hear "Cliché Guevara" right at the top of the set. they played at least 3 brand new songs, which all sounded good, and a nice split from most of their albums. I went fucking ballistic as soon as "Pint of Guinness Will Make You Stronger" started.

Then i finally saw DINOSAUR JR. for the first time! Part of me makes me think i should have gone up front to check them out, but I'll be damned if I didn't just the perfect spot right next to the fence in the beer garden to see most of the stage and get pretty great sound all while getting to stand around with a beer. And I feel like Dino jr. should be seen with a drink in your hand. I have to agree with everyone that has said J. Mascis is a fucking guitar god. Geez this guy is so freaking good! I must see them at a proper gig next time they come around.

DESAPARECIDOS was next, and they were impressive. i couldn't stay for the full set, but I would have liked to. They were loud, fast as fuck, and generally just pretty intense. Conor Oberst seems like a totally different dude playing with this project than with bright Eyes. it was awesome.

Finally, CONVERGE!!! Unfortunateky, this was the only set I saw where i noticed some glaring sound problems. Most notably, the vocals sounded really weak for the first couple songs, but by the middle of the third or fourth song is seemed like they had things dialed in better. I was shocked to hear them open up with "Jane Doe," and even as a truncated version, it was pretty bally so open with with an 8+ minute song in a festival set, but was an amazing surprise for the fans. The set was blistering, and as Spooks said, finishing up with "Concubine was killer.

Next i rested up on the hill in the beer garden and watched YEASAYER from a distance. The sound was muddy from up there, but it was a nice view and a good setlist. it looked like the corwd was going nuts.

And last was TURBONEGRO. I was pretty thrown off in the beginning of their set because just as I got to the stage I realized my camera was not in my pocket. i quickly ran by the last few places I had been but it was nowhere to be seen so someone must have grabbed it. oh well, sucks, but worrying about wasn't going to fix anything. The crowd for Turbonegro was light but crazy enthusiastic, with Turbojugend there in full force, and the band was a good as I've ever seen them. the new singer fits in perfectly, continuing the trend of hilarious in-between song banter and song-intros, and they played a great combination of songs from throughout their career (I was a little worried they would be focusing on newer material, which i do like, since they have the new singer). They busted out "Denim Demon," which was good enough for me, but the whole set was a fucking blast!
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Get em while they're hot!!! FYF 2012 day 1 recordings:

The Soft Pack - http://www.mediafire.com/?0v9fe8qy9yvd9fv
    Redd Kross - http://www.mediafire.com/?6gyt3jidg2o3vyh
    The Vaselines - http://www.mediafire.com/?c0kkc7v9tttck92
    Future Islands - http://www.mediafire.com/?1b2nzv6g2bmh73p
    Warpaint - http://www.mediafire.com/?zaz21czpamoyue2
    Tanlines (partial set) - http://www.mediafire.com/?tyjx3jyc4qxyp4c
    Tycho* - http://www.mediafire.com/?yc319969lrxzkqr
    Quicksand (partial set) - http://www.mediafire.com/?4azywcom3desalk
    Simian Mobile Disco* - http://www.mediafire.com/?7js6o88gpj97768

* These both include an extra goody, as I recorded the DJ(s) playing before the acts took the stage, so you get an extra half hour or so of music prior to the actual set.

Anyway, I hope these make all of you happy. I'll be getting to day 2 soon. Until then, enjoy...
    Thanks for this

Person must not get out much

‏@wichitarecs

@FYFFEST thank you for running the best festival in america

Last one, I promise. So DJ Harvey's opening was this visual...

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    ...and this track:

Quite a way to make an entrance.

This saddens me to miss that
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

It was so dope, I loved that set. He was bumping some fat tunes by the end of it but I had to run over to Chromatics. Those guys can really play. I need to see them again.

I actually got in an argument with one of the vendors over this. I thought he was trying to rip me off.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I actually got in an argument with one of the vendors over this. I thought he was trying to rip me off.
    Just as pissed to find out the tent was open from all sides contrary to the map drawing?

Every food vendor had a sign that said ''water $3''

BTW, WHY THE FUCK WERE ANY OF YOU BUYING WATER? You were allowed to take in an empty water bottle, and there was a refill station, good god people. You had the ability to circumvent the supposed bullshit price and just went with it.

Originally Posted by menikmati
    Get em while they're hot!!! FYF 2012 day 1 recordings:

The Soft Pack - http://www.mediafire.com/?0v9fe8qy9yvd9fv
    Redd Kross - http://www.mediafire.com/?6gyt3jidg2o3vyh
    The Vaselines - http://www.mediafire.com/?c0kkc7v9tttck92
    Future Islands - http://www.mediafire.com/?1b2nzv6g2bmh73p
    Warpaint - http://www.mediafire.com/?zaz21czpamoyue2
    Tanlines (partial set) - http://www.mediafire.com/?tyjx3jyc4qxyp4c
    Tycho* - http://www.mediafire.com/?yc319969lrxzkqr
    Quicksand (partial set) - http://www.mediafire.com/?4azywcom3desalk
    Simian Mobile Disco* - http://www.mediafire.com/?7js6o88gpj97768

* These both include an extra goody, as I recorded the DJ(s) playing before the acts took the stage, so you get an extra half hour or so of music prior to the actual set.

Anyway, I hope these make all of you happy. I'll be getting to day 2 soon. Until then, enjoy...

Anyone else having problems opening te SMD set?

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post

Every food vendor had a sign that said ''water $3''

BTW, WHY THE FUCK WERE ANY OF YOU BUYING WATER? You were allowed to take in an empty water bottle, and there was a refill station, good god people. You had the ability to circumvent the supposed bullshit price and just went with it.
    if you walked straight in towards the stages you didn't see vendor before coming across a cart that didn't have a sign.

I don't want to waste time standing in line to refill water.

i don't have a problem with $3, i have a problem with someone specifically telling me in a FAQ that wasn't even posted until a week before an event that it would be $2, only to then have it cost $1 more. That's all we're complaining about.
    last.fm