Default Re: FYF Fest 2012

Oh Jaar...
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Highlights of today: The Field, Gold Panda, Dinosaur Jr. and Nicholas Jaar.

Both days were epic in their own individual way. Well played Sean.
    05-12.2

I dont know man, I'm not tired at this point yet or normally jaded like that so maybe it was just following a good number of tough acts to follow, but I do see your point... or they just suck. Post trippy Yeasayer pictures if you've got them!

Ooo, other weird thing today. King Khan was super tame. Walked away after 2 songs. What happened to the money burning, get naked, and get rowdy band I've seen before?

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Oh Jaar...
    That was a great set,some people looked upset by long intro,but I was digging it.

The crowd surfing during glass candy was so much fun!
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

Quote Originally Posted by eturnol View Post
    The crowd surfing during glass candy was so much fun!
    It was rampant during Gold Panda as well. Thought it was pretty fun. The pit during Win-San Western was pretty cute too.
    05-12.2

Was able to record Wild Nothing, Ceremony, Cursive, the Field, Dino Jr, Desparcidos, and Beirut today (to go along with Soft Pack, Redd Kross, the Vaselines, Future Islands, Warpaint, Tanlines, Tycho, Quicksand, and Simian Mobile Disco from yesterday). Look for them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    DJ Keith Morris? Really?
    I've seen him DJ in between sets at a Jay Reatard show in LA. Plays some great old post punk shit.

Sounds like the fest had something great for everyone. Pretty jealous, that lineup was so stacked. Anyone see DJ Harvey yesterday? Wondering how his short set translated.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    on the screen, right before Beirut, somebody was holding this image up:

ods..
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Haha saw and thought the same thing!!! ^^
    hahaha no i wish

Top 3 for Saturday:
    1. James Blake - Fucking incredible. Everything I wanted and more. Still processing it. Shout out to Cutter for running into me at this set and letting me use his phone as mine was dead. So happy he played "I Never Learnt to Share".
    2. Chromatics - They might have had the best sound of the festival and definitely some of the best vibes. Sun going down... so good. Really surprised me. I love their shit but didn't know how it would translate live. They're the real deal.
    3. Tycho - Wow. The visuals, the response from the crowd, fucking everything.

Top 3 for Sunday
    1. Nicolas Jaar - Maybe my number one of the festival. Seriously unbelievable set... Couldn't stop dancing the entire time, and I had a great spot to see those dudes going to work. The way the Space is Only Noise tracks were constructed and reworked live absolutely blew my mind. I originally wasn't sure I wanted to stay for the whole set (wanted to catch some Yeasayer and Twin Shadow) but once he started I was completely mesmerized. The 10 minute DJ set of remixes at the end was the cherry on top. Fucking insane.
    2. Gold Panda - Really surprising! Saw him once before in NY opening for Four Tet but this set was an entire different beast. He was going HARD up there, having a blast, and the crowd was giving it right back to him. Great way to end the festival, especially that last song. Wow. Danced so much.
    3. Tiger and Woods - These dudes are so groovy. Enough said.

Soooo my choices are pretty plurlyfe, but what can I say. Also, FIDLAR, The Men, Nite Jewell, Suicide of Western Culture all killed it. The Field too. BOOM. Great weekend

Wishlist for next year: bad brains, el-p, propagandhi, the locust, the unicorns, born against (if that can even happen)

Boom

That was such an amazing weekend. So glad that we ended with The Faint, perfect ending. What a great crowd too. Just so, so good.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

How early should I get to the echoplex tonight for king khan? Or will it not even get to capacity?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Thom Yorke, single handed, is saving Coachella 2012.

Naw, his opinion is shaded by the fact that the real headliner played from 6:40-7:30. I pity any band that ever has to play after Dinosaur Jr. The only one I've seen pull it off is My Bloody Valentine.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Great weekend all around. And yes, the crowds were great. I went by myself and met some of the friendliest and fun people. The only annoying person I came across all weekend was an OSL Snob, who two songs into Tanlines, she claimed they were so much better at OSL. Anyone else see the gophers popping their cute little heads out their holes?

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Great times this weekend. Completely Plured it up w/ Chromatics. Purity Ring. Tycho. James Blake. M83. SMD. The Field. Glass Candy. Nico Jaar (Best set of the weekend). The Faint. I think the only non plur band saw entire weekend was couple songs of Aesop Rock.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

I like the top 3 per day, so I'm going that route as well:

Saturday
    1. James Blake - Holy fuck does that guy perform well live. I hadn't seen him before, and the way he stretches and changes his songs up is something to behold. CMYK was my highlight, but the whole show was astounding. He was definitely my performance of the weekend.
    2. Refused - They are performing at a level right now where it'd be a shame if they didn't record something new. They are so damn on point it's crazy. And the Stooges bit was fuckin' awesome.
    3. Chromatics - They were all kinds of beautiful, and they closed with both covers! Perfect time for them, perfect set, the only thing that made them somewhat lesser in my mind was the two sets above. Fantastic band.

Sunday
    1. Dinosaur Jr. - Go ahead. Try to put on a better show than them. As every band after showed, it can't be done.
    2. David Cross - He was just so damn hilarious. MUCH better than his ATP set a few years ago where he was drunk, angry and hard to follow. He was just a ball of Cross.
    3. Daughn Gibson - I love his album and the set matched up very well. Great early surprise.

Top Sets of the weekend for me:
    Refused
    Dinosaur Jr
    Daughn Gibson
    Black Dice
    Cloud Nothings
    Warpaint

Oh shit, this happened already? I was gonna go today.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Oh shit, this happened already? I was gonna go today.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Was able to record Wild Nothing, Ceremony, Cursive, the Field, Dino Jr, Desparcidos, and Beirut today (to go along with Soft Pack, Redd Kross, the Vaselines, Future Islands, Warpaint, Tanlines, Tycho, Quicksand, and Simian Mobile Disco from yesterday). Look for them soon.
    Thank you!

Top sets of the weekend for me were:

Refused
    Wild Nothing
    Dino Jr
    Quicksand
    Tanlines
    Desaparecidos

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Saw:

Cloud Nothings
    Chairlift
    Pains of Being Pure at Heart
    Chromatics
    Purity Ring
    Quicksand
    M83
    Refused

Tiger & Woods
    Cursive
    Lightening Bolt
    Desaparecidos
    Yeasayer
    Twin Shadow
    The Faint

Bolded acts were my favs.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

For what it's worth I had the same reaction as Cutter when I saw Beirut on the rail at the Greek last October. It was a lazy performance, Zach forgot most of the lyrics, and the lack of strings really hurt. I saw about 20 mins of them at Coachella and had very low expectations so I liked it much more. Disappointing, since Beirut are one of my favorite bands, and old live videos on youtube are pretty amazing.

I actually waded into the pit for about 2 seconds at American Nightmare. Damn that was nuts! Not very familiar with them at all but what energy! Their set ended my night but I was good at that point.

Other highlights-

Dinosaur Jr.- Watched this from the beer tent with Drinkey and girlfriend. It may be the best set I saw the entire weekend. They just nailed it. And I no longer think of J Mascis as merely a good guitar player- he is GREAT! I've seen many "legendary" guitar players and I felt like his tone and skill were as good as anyone's. And I love any power trio where the bass player uses a Ricky 4001 to shore up the bottom.

Nicolas Jaar- had to choose between Converge and this but no regrets. I loved this set and it was a good change from a lot of the driving rock I saw over the weekend.

Joyce Manor- good So CA punk. Some decent songs in there and a fun way to get Sunday started

Against Me!- Solid set. Good enough I stayed through it all. Not my favorite music but good flow to the performance

David Cross- The bit about the colonic was hilarious (I love a good riff on poop). I also loved the bit about modern politicians trying to attribute their policies to the forefathers. The whole thing was damn awesome! I felt like right after his set that I had already gotten my money's worth for the Sunday ticket

American Nightmare- already commented. Was like a bomb going off.

Also caught some of Desaparecidos (liked them a lot), Cursive and Atlas Sound, along with a few other comedians before David Cross. Awesome event! Dust aside, it's one of the best festivals I've attended. Looking forward to next year.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 09-03-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Agreed on Dinosaur. J really is one of the all-time great guitarists. He can rip out an incredible guitar solo like most people let loose a belch. It just seems so natural for him.

Yea, I had only moderate expectations for them, but he was really a revelation for me on guitar. I didn't know he was that fantastic.

I looked for ya btw, bmack, but no luck. But it was good seeing all the boardies I did find. A couple of us managed to start Sunday at Wurstkuche like we planned. A few Schneider's in me set the table for a very buzzed afternoon!

Also, I heard the warm whiskey bags made an appearance! Sadly, I did not get any...
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Ooo, other weird thing today. King Khan was super tame. Walked away after 2 songs. What happened to the money burning, get naked, and get rowdy band I've seen before?
    For what it's worth, the tambourine player went all Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs and danced around with his penis tucked in during I Want To Be A Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpie View Post
    Anyone see Henry Rollins on stage left for Dino Jr.? Losing his shit
    Argh I was looking all over for him. He is probably Dinosaur Jr's biggest fan I knew he was somewhere in there!
    Last edited by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits; 09-03-2012 at 11:59 AM.

I have to say Black Dice was fucking sick. Sadly they got a bad set time for my schedule (had to go see Beirut), but the 10 mins I did hear I absolutely loved and wish I had seen more (and recorded them). Bring them to Coachella next year.

The lineup this year sucked.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25