Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: FYF Fest 2012

Default Re: FYF Fest 2012

Quote Originally Posted by choice cat View Post
    I will most likely be buying tickets from Origami too, but What is so horrible about buying tickets online? Aside from service charge.. interesting to see they moved from ticketweb to ticketfly.

Everyone should definitely heed the key word in tickets START at $77 .. this could definitely end up being $100-125
    Well, they have VIP tickets for $169, so it would actually be illegal for them to just say that tickets are $77. But I imagine they're going to do a tiered thing, where they raise the price once the allotment of $77 tickets sell out.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I have a LOT of homework to do but M83, The field, James Blake, future islands and Sleigh bells may just get me there. I hate how all the festivals are multi days now. Hard getting off work
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Well, they have VIP tickets for $169, so it would actually be illegal for them to just say that tickets are $77. But I imagine they're going to do a tiered thing, where they raise the price once the allotment of $77 tickets sell out.
    AHA you are correct sir. The ticketfly page says this:

Weekend passes for FYF Fest start at $77 and will be available at that price for a limited time.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Albiedamned View Post
    WTF happened to Tanlines?
    They're on the poster, now.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

well yeah cause they did the same price bracket thing last year

That's what fueled my imagination.

Does VIP somehow get you out of what appears to be a giant bowl of dirt?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by k9000 View Post
    the lineup is awesome. the price isn't bad. i'm still debating whether i should do it. getting a hotel in la for the weekend would be too expensive and having to drive to & from long beach for 2 days would be kind of a bitch (especially dealing with parking & exhaustion).

i think people are only complaining about the price because the food & water situations haven't gotten better and the location sucks.
    How about taking the train from Long Beach? Does it run that late?

People are complaining about the price because they need something to complain about. How much were tickets to see M83 at Club Nokia? I want to say they got up to 35-40 after fees. How about Refused at the Glass House?

Sayin', this festival is the best value.
    It looks like the last southbound train on the blue line leave downtown 7th/metro at 12:56 am. It's a long ride, but worth it to not drive.
    I took the train last year from Long Beach. The promoters worked with the city to have the running hours of the metro extended. It was much easier than driving, didn't have to worry about parking, or drinking or any of the other stuff you might worry about going to something like this. $5 for an all day rail pass makes it a no brainer, IMO. The gold line drops you off about 1/4 mile from the entrance, assuming it's the same setup as last year. Total breeze.

As far as long lines, or lack of concessions/water etc., I didn't experience any of that last year. The festival seemed well run, and I had a great time.
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

This lineup owns! Might have to make this one.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

somewhat surprised not to see OFF! or No Age.

The dance-y music contingent is much higher than in years past. I wonder if they're going to have a dance-specific stage. And if so, will James Blake be there or somewhere else?

The few electronic acts booked last year were some of my favorites sets of the day (Four Tet in particular), so I'm happy to see more of the same this year. Baring conflicts, I would love to see SMD (despite them being kind of uneven last year), Gold Panda, The Field, DJ Harvey, and Tiger & Woods.

I also wonder how many people will show up at Aesop Rock thinking it's A$AP Rocky.

EDIT - forgot to mention the Field; it's easy to overlook a name on a poster that stacked
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 06-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I see James Blake on that side stage where OTC, Dan deacon, and others played. The one with the trees. At night.

I listen to the Field almost every day. I'd be a fool not to give this fest a chance.

M83
    Beirut
    Yeasayer
    SMD
    Warpaint
    Dinosaur Jr
    Wild Flag
    Twin Shadow
    Vaselines
    Fucked Up
    Tycho
    Chairlift
    Atlas Sound
    and, of course, The Field.

This is one pretty little festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    I see James Blake on that side stage where OTC, Dan deacon, and others played. The one with the trees. At night.
    Interesting. I see him on the alternating side stages, considering how high he is billed on the poster. The same way they did SMD / Four Tet last year.
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

There were some surreal moments over there last year, especially when the sun started going down, when the train would buzz right by. The Weakerthans set in particular for me, especially when he was doing "I hate Winnipeg" and there was this huge calm in the audience and a fucking train right next to the stage. Magical.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

FYF Dance Stage > Sahara

That stage is simultaneously my least favorite and most favorite of the festival; it's great that the stage is off the beaten path and that there's not much sound bleed, but it can be really hard to get into if it's crowded because there's only one way in and the entrance itself is pretty narrow. Also, the metro coming by is a bit distracting.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

It looks like the last southbound train on the blue line leave downtown 7th/metro at 12:56 am. It's a long ride, but worth it to not drive.
    the blue line to the gold line is definitely an option. for some reason i figured all metro would stop running by midnight. i also thought that only certain lines were extended last year?

this is looking more and more likely.

come on, the drive's not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by k9000 View Post
    the blue line to the gold line is definitely an option. for some reason i figured all metro would stop running by midnight. i also thought that only certain lines were extended last year?

this is looking more and more likely.
    I believe most of the lines were extended by about an hour. I know for a fact that Gold line was extended, as I took the Blue to Gold on the way there, and the reverse to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by schnide View Post
    somewhat surprised not to see OFF! or No Age.
    OFF! played last year and No Age doesn't have any new material coming out...so it makes sense why they're not playing.

Aaaand, I'm really excited. So many bands I love here. However, the ticket price is a bummer since I'm kinda broke. I've had free VIP since the show moved to the LA State Park, so hoping that pulls through again this year...

Damn $77 for a weekend pass? Wasn't this festival 30-40 last year? Was that one day only though?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Damn $77 for a weekend pass? Wasn't this festival 30-40 last year? Was that one day only though?
    Yeah, it was $40 for one day last year.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    OFF! played last year and No Age doesn't have any new material coming out...so it makes sense why they're not playing.
    Well, OFF! played 2010 and 2011 back to back, and No Age played played 2009 and 2011 (and several of the Echo ones i'd wager, along with countless other FYF-present shows), so I can see why they'd be expected, especially since they're local.
    last.fm

So no 1 day passes?

No Age played 07-09, and Wives played in 06.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

It's still 35 to 40 bucks. It's just 2 days. And the lineup is rad. So stop fucking whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Does VIP somehow get you out of what appears to be a giant bowl of dirt?
    For an extra $90 it sure doesn't sound like all that much..

VIP weekend passes are available for $169, while supplies last. The VIP beer garden is centrally located and has a viewing area for the main stage. Inside the VIP section there will be additional specialty food and drink options and a full bar, large shade tents to get out of the heat and comfortable couches to get off of your feet and relax.

I might consider it, I guess. I personally didn't have a huge problem with the dust last year. And just look at the line up! It is pretty damn spectacular. So excited to finally see Red Kross.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I have a hard time considering any of those stages a "main stage."

And I agree with Bryan that Red Kross were great at Coachella 2008.
    last.fm