Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where We Explore The Desert (Or: Stuff to do in the desert before/after Coachella)

Default Re: Where We Explore The Desert (Or: Stuff to do in the desert before/after Coachella

The Palm Desert Zoo and Desert Garden is pretty bad-ass. I recommend it.

Default Re: Where We Explore The Desert (Or: Stuff to do in the desert before/after Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Pappy & Harriets is a Honkey Tonk bar which is both a regular hangout spot for locals and a novelty tourist attraction. Apparently they have the best Steak and Ribs around and lots and lots of tequila. Honestly, thats really all I need to know about this place. Im sold. Its about an hour drive from Indio.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    The Palm Desert Zoo and Desert Garden is pretty bad-ass. I recommend it.
    Are you talking about the Living Desert? If so then I will second the recommendation. You can feed the giraffes if you go at the right time, which is my favorite thing to do there. Also, there are hiking trails in the back that you can take when they open and then go see the animals afterward. Love that place.

http://www.livingdesert.org/thingstodo_map.html

More info on the Living Desert. If you click on the Trails and Wildlife tab it will tell you about the different trails and such.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I watched you tubes on Integratron on Friday night. Several in fact. I'm going to have to go at some point. I would love to explore Joshua Tree do hiking too but after camping a weekend at Coachella probably won't be ideal for me.

So, first off, I would like some restaurant recomendations in either Palm Springs or Indio. Any kind really, just something that is good, but relatively affordable.

Second, I am thinking of doing this Thursday morning...

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    Tahquitz Falls hike
    Anyone want to join me?

And then doing one of these (leaning towards the dinosaurs) on Monday, after the fest.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Cabazon Dinosaurs

http://www.cabazondinosaurs.com/

Palm Springs Aeiral Tram

http://www.pstramway.com/

Anyone care to join in on either of these?

Also, Becky really wants to visit this...

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    So I am sure we are going to fit it in one of the days we are there.

Also, I was planning on booking the INTEGRATRON pretty soon. I don't want it to book up on us. Anyone who wants in on it, should contact Courtney or I sometime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

We may be interested in Dinos or Crochet museum on Monday. Or rather I'd be interested in Dinos and my Coach buddy would be interested in Crochet museum.

I want more people to post in this thread. Especially Tom. I want more of Tom's insight into Palm Springs/ Indio.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

What day are you planning for the integratron? I could use some of those healing vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post

Also, I was planning on booking the INTEGRATRON pretty soon. I don't want it to book up on us. Anyone who wants in on it, should contact Courtney or I sometime soon.
    Book ASAP - it can book up very fast

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    What day are you planning for the integratron? I could use some of those healing vibes.
    Check your PM box Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Book ASAP - it can book up very fast
    That is what I was afraid of. I definitely want to book it soon.

Yessss Steve I hope you come.

Josh, sorry I suck that I didn't respond to your message. I am worried that I might not be able to do this because I am already taking so much time off with all my grad school visits and interviews. But if you want to book and include me in your numbers, I'll be happy to chip in the $25 or whatever even if I end up not being able to come.

Josh - What day is Integratron? Me and Niall may well be up for that. Also, how dare you go hiking before we get there?
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Yessss Steve I hope you come.

Josh, sorry I suck that I didn't respond to your message. I am worried that I might not be able to do this because I am already taking so much time off with all my grad school visits and interviews. But if you want to book and include me in your numbers, I'll be happy to chip in the $25 or whatever even if I end up not being able to come.
    Oh really!? That sucks Courtney. Let me know when you can. I will see if I can finalize a count this week, if we have enough, you may not need to chip in anything if you don't go. Hope you can make it!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Josh - What day is Integratron? Me and Niall may well be up for that. Also, how dare you go hiking before we get there?
    We are doing it the Tuesday after the fest. I thought you guys said you were staying til Wednesday or something, so I already included you two in my head haha. And if you want to do the hike, we could do that Tuesday morning. I know on Monday morning everyone will be dead to the world.

Up for the hike. All sounds like fun.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I'm down for the hike and some other side diversion if it's Thursday (the 12th) or on the Monday or Tuesday between weekends.

As for food, there's so many choices between Indio and Palm springs I don't know where to start. So many things tailored to different tastes.

One of my favorites is Pinnochio b/c the drinks are dirt cheap and the food is good for the price. http://www.pinocchiops.com/

Looks like we are doing the hike Tuesday morning. Thanks for the suggestion! And you are more than welcome to join.

And I love cheap drinks and good food. I will definitely look into Pinnochio's for one of the nights we are there.

This place has probably already been mentioned in here, but Salvation Mountain is about 45 minutes from Indio. Mr. Knight just passed away. It will be interesting to see how well the place gets preserved.

Also, for those of you driving east on the 10 . . . Just before Date Palm not far beyond the windmills there is a billboard for a woman named Jackie Houston. She just passed away in September. My mother in law was once married to her brother. She looks like Tammy Faye and was a local Palm Springs "celebrity." it's bright pink and creepy. Enjoy. I hope it's still there in April.

MOAR PEOPLE.

I had heard about Salvation Mountain before, but thank you for bringing it up in this thread. I did not know he had passed away though, that is sad. I hope there are some people who keep up the maintenance on the mountain. Is that 45 minutes east of Indio, towards Joshua Tree, or North, towards Yucca Valley?

And I agree with Zack. Moar plz.

It's in Niland which I guess is south of the 10.

Vintage video of the hike, back in the golden years.

I usually check out the Coachella Valley Preserve when I arrive, if it's not too hot out...

This oasis is located right on the San Andreas fault and is fed by an aquifer resulting from the fault. Despite all the palm trees you see around So Cal, this is our only native palm, California fan palm Washingtonia filifera

the desert wash habitat is home to many reptiles, like this sidewinder we almost stepped on

barrel cactus

horned lizard

food for horned lizard

beavertail cactus

western side-blotched lizard

ocotillo

http://www.soundoverdose.com/?cat=17

"Life continues to work on his artwork and is currently working on the Shady Lane Mural, which is the largest graffiti art project ever to be created in the U.S.. Stretching 1000 ft. the Shady Lane Mural will feature the skills of many other desert graffiti artist and artist from the state. Created to show the history of the hispanic culture through out North America, the mural will chronologically show the major historic periods dealing with the Hispanic culture (i.e. the Aztec and Spanard conquest, Mexico Independence, the farm workers movement with Ceaser Chavez, and many more) ."
    "Give me women, wine and snuff
    Until I cry out 'hold, enough!"
    John Keats

Yes! This is the kind of stuff I am talking about! Thanks guys!

Just watched the No Reservations set in the Coachella valley. I expect a heart attack after sampling all that meat (cue "That's what she said!").

Frank Sinatra! Frederick Loewe! Sono Bono! All dead!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Memorial_Park
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So I want to book the Integratron this week. Who is in? Let me know ASAP.

"Before I go further, I will admit I got this idea, and the next one, from the Anthony Bourdain episode of No Reservations where Josh Homme serves as his guide."

After watching this episode my husband and I did the entire tour last January. What an amazing experience!

I am flying into Ontario early Thursday morning. I will be renting a car. Needless to say, I will have quite a bit of time to kill (I'm staying in Palm Springs).

My question: Would it be a good idea to drive to LA and spend some time there? How far is the drive from Ontario? Is traffic pretty bad at times?
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.