Thread: Where We Explore The Desert (Or: Stuff to do in the desert before/after Coachella)

Threaded View

Default Where We Explore The Desert (Or: Stuff to do in the desert before/after Coachella)

So, I have been doing some thinking lately. This year will be my 6th Coachella, and other than the drive on Highway 10, I havent seen much else of the vast desert that surrounds our wonderful music festival. So, I thought I would start this thread for people to start bouncing around ideas of what to do around the Coachella Valley and the High Desert (Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree) before and/or after Coachella. I know there was a thread started like this once before, but I couldn't find it, and seeing that Coachella is now less than 3 months away, there isn't a better time to start throwing around ideas and start planning.

So, have any of you explored before or after the fest? What have you found? Cool bars? Hiking trails? Museums? Novelty attractions? Great restaurants? I want to hear about them all.

Let me start off:

The Integratron

Basically, this was a structure built by a guy who believes he was abducted by aliens who downloaded the plans to build this into his brain. He then went up to Yucca Valley and built it. The structure is a pure wooden dome (no nails, screws, or anything like that) and was built using Tesla theories of science. The result was a room which is both perfectly acoustic and an acoustic anomaly and is able to tap into geothermal energy which creates unexplainable spikes in electromagnetic activity. They now hold what they call "Sound Baths" there where you lay down and someone rubs ceramic bowl creating strange sounds that can be heard no where else. Some people claim it to be incredibly relaxing, where other people go as far as to claim it takes them to an altered state of consciousness. In other words, this place sounds batshit crazy and I want to go there really, really badly. Its about an hour and 15 minute drive from Indio.

Before I go further, I will admit I got this idea, and the next one, from the Anthony Bourdain episode of No Reservations where Josh Homme serves as his guide.

Pappy & Harriets

Pappy & Harriets is a Honkey Tonk bar which is both a regular hangout spot for locals and a novelty tourist attraction. Apparently they have the best Steak and Ribs around and lots and lots of tequila. Honestly, thats really all I need to know about this place. Im sold. Its about an hour drive from Indio.

Also, I thought this thread could be a place to organize doing things with other boardies before/after the festival. I am planning on doing both of these things here after the fest, so if anyone here wants to join in, send me a message on facebook or text me or something. I put this thread here in hopes that lurkers wont find it as well. In case people want to keep things semi-private, and not just a giant open inviatation thing, maybe dates shouldn't be discussed here, but we can discuss who is interested in doing what and also help each find cool things and share our ideas.

I hope this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.